update on perl governance

--2dceda10ca9e44e08c4fc8d8d501190b

A while back, I wrote an update about what was going on behind the scene=
s <https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2020/08/msg258177.=
html>.  In it, I said that we wanted to be able to present a clear "this=
 is how perl is being run" document, and that we were working on it.  Th=
at has been going on, and now I want to give a very brief update.

There had been several sets of seemingly interested parties:  the perl-c=
ore list (which was, itself, most derived from attendees of the "Perl Co=
re Hackathons"), fiveperl, and the committers to perl5.git.  We added al=
l these people to the existing, private Google group and discussed next =
steps.  Agreed upon next steps included moving to a publicly archived li=
st and deciding a means by which the perl language is to be managed in s=
ome defined, sustainable way.

This has begun and is still underway.  The group now discussing things <=
https://perl.topicbox.com/groups/gov-begin> is a temporary one, which wi=
ll set up a new governance body and then will, itself, dissolve.  I am h=
esitant to provide any predicted time frame in which that will happen, b=
ut you can see what it's up to, and I'll post occasional updates when an=
ything happens.

In the mean time, as Saywer said, blead is open for business <https://ww=
w.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2020/08/msg258329.html>.  You s=
hould continue to work as usual, we'll see another release in two weeks,=
 and I hope to have a couple commits in it myself!

Here's the full list of participants in the governance boot-up process: =
Aaron Crane, Abhijit Menon-Sen, Andy Dougherty, Artur Bergman, Ask Bj=C3=
=B8rn Hansen, brian d foy, Chad Granum, Chip Salzenberg, Chris Williams,=
 Craig Berry, Dagfinn Ilmari Manns=C3=A5ker, Dave Mitchell, David Golden=
, Dominic Hargreaves, Gisle Aas, Graham Barr, H. Merijn Brand, Hugo van =
der Sanden, James E Keenan, Jan Dubois, Jesse Vincent, John Lightsey, Ka=
ren Etheridge, Karl Williamson, Leon Brocard, Leon Timmermans, Marcus Ho=
lland-Moritz, Matthew Horsfall, Max Maischein, Nicholas Clark, Nicolas R=
.., Paul LeoNerd Evans, Philippe Bruhat, Rafael Garcia-Suarez, Ricardo Si=
gnes, Robert Spier, Sawyer X, Slaven Rezic, Steffen Mueller, Steve M. Ha=
y, Steve Peters, Stuart Mackintosh, Tim Bunce, Todd Rinaldo, Tony Cook, =
Yves Orton

--=20
rjbs
--2dceda10ca9e44e08c4fc8d8d501190b

 wrote an <a href=3D"https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/=
2020/08/msg258177.html">update about what was going on behind the scenes=
</a>.&nbsp; In it, I said that we wanted to be able to present a clear "=
this is how perl is being run" document, and that we were working on it.=
&nbsp; That has been going on, and now I want to give a very brief updat=
 interested parties:&nbsp; the perl-core list (which was, itself, most d=
erived from attendees of the "Perl Core Hackathons"), fiveperl, and the =
committers to perl5.git.&nbsp; We added all these people to the existing=
, private Google group and discussed next steps.&nbsp; Agreed upon next =
steps included moving to a publicly archived list and deciding a means b=
y which the perl language is to be managed in some defined, sustainable =
nbsp; The <a href=3D"https://perl.topicbox.com/groups/gov-begin">group n=
ow discussing things</a> is a temporary one, which will set up a new gov=
ernance body and then will, itself, dissolve.&nbsp; I am hesitant to pro=
vide any predicted time frame in which that will happen, but you can see=
 what it's up to, and I'll post occasional updates when anything happens=
=3D"https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2020/08/msg258329=
..html">blead is open for business</a>.&nbsp; You should continue to work=
 as usual, we'll see another release in two weeks, and I hope to have a =
l list of participants in the governance boot-up process:&nbsp;Aaron Cra=
ne, Abhijit Menon-Sen, Andy Dougherty, Artur Bergman, Ask Bj=C3=B8rn Han=
sen, brian d foy, Chad Granum, Chip Salzenberg, Chris Williams, Craig Be=
rry, Dagfinn Ilmari Manns=C3=A5ker, Dave Mitchell, David Golden, Dominic=
 Hargreaves, Gisle Aas, Graham Barr, H. Merijn Brand, Hugo van der Sande=
n, James E Keenan, Jan Dubois, Jesse Vincent, John Lightsey, Karen Ether=
idge, Karl Williamson, Leon Brocard, Leon Timmermans, Marcus Holland-Mor=
itz, Matthew Horsfall, Max Maischein, Nicholas Clark, Nicolas R., Paul L=
eoNerd Evans, Philippe Bruhat, Rafael Garcia-Suarez, Ricardo Signes, Rob=
ert Spier, Sawyer X, Slaven Rezic, Steffen Mueller, Steve M. Hay, Steve =
Peters, Stuart Mackintosh, Tim Bunce, Todd Rinaldo, Tony Cook, Yves Orto=
/html>
--2dceda10ca9e44e08c4fc8d8d501190b--
0
perl

On Sun, Sep 06, 2020 at 02:03:19PM -0400, Ricardo Signes wrote:
>A while back, I wrote an update about what was going on behind the
>scenes ... In it, I said that we wanted to be able to present a clear
>"this is how perl is being run" document, and that we were working on
>it.  That has been going on, and now I want to give a very brief
>update.
>Here's the full list of participants in the governance boot-up process:

Hi Ricardo; thank you very much for this information, and the updates in
general.  It goes a long way to reassuring me about the whole process,
and I very much appreciate it.  I hope others on the list do, too.

--
Tom Ryder <https://sanctum.geek.nz/>
Maybe we can bring back the light.