Time for Perl 5.28.2

With 5.30 slated for May 20th it's high time I got a move on with
getting 5.28.2 out. I apologize for it being later than I originally
intended ("soon after 5.28.1" was my original plan), but I've finally
got round to updating the 5.28 voting file with some likely candidates
for back-porting:

https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob_plain/refs/heads/maint-votes:/votes-5.28.xml

If there are other changes meeting the criteria for back-porting (see
https://metacpan.org/pod/distribution/perl/pod/perlpolicy.pod#MAINTENANCE-BRANCHES)
that you would like to see in 5.28.2 then feel free to reply on- or
off-list with suggestions.

Committers: Please consider looking through the file (it's currently
agreeably small) and casting votes.

I would like to aim for an April release so as not to interfere with
the 5.30 release in May.
0
perl5

On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 at 10:27, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com> wrote:

> With 5.30 slated for May 20th it's high time I got a move on with
> getting 5.28.2 out. I apologize for it being later than I originally
> intended ("soon after 5.28.1" was my original plan), but I've finally
> got round to updating the 5.28 voting file with some likely candidates
> for back-porting:
>
> https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob_plain/refs/heads/maint-votes:/votes-5.28.xml
>
> If there are other changes meeting the criteria for back-porting (see
> https://metacpan.org/pod/distribution/perl/pod/perlpolicy.pod#MAINTENANCE-BRANCHES)
> that you would like to see in 5.28.2 then feel free to reply on- or
> off-list with suggestions.
>
> Committers: Please consider looking through the file (it's currently
> agreeably small) and casting votes.
>
> I would like to aim for an April release so as not to interfere with
> the 5.30 release in May.

Thanks to some speedy voting, all commits so far proposed are now
cherry-picked into maint-5.28 except for one: The original fix for
perl #133547 was commit 393e5a4585, which has 3 votes, but this fix
was later superseded by f4e61fc038 -- given which I'm not sure whether
it's really right to cherry-pick 393e5a4585? Is it OK, should we
consider f4e61fc038 instead, or should we even drop this fix from
5.28.2 and leave it for 5.30.0?

Otherwise I'm hoping to get RC1 out on Friday 5th, with a view to a
final release a fortnight later (Friday 19th). If we need an RC2 then
we still have a week or more in hand before we hit May.
0
perl5
4/2/2019 4:35:02 PM
On 4/2/19 10:35 AM, Steve Hay via perl5-porters wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 at 10:27, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> With 5.30 slated for May 20th it's high time I got a move on with
>> getting 5.28.2 out. I apologize for it being later than I originally
>> intended ("soon after 5.28.1" was my original plan), but I've finally
>> got round to updating the 5.28 voting file with some likely candidates
>> for back-porting:
>>
>> https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob_plain/refs/heads/maint-votes:/votes-5.28.xml
>>
>> If there are other changes meeting the criteria for back-porting (see
>> https://metacpan.org/pod/distribution/perl/pod/perlpolicy.pod#MAINTENANCE-BRANCHES)
>> that you would like to see in 5.28.2 then feel free to reply on- or
>> off-list with suggestions.
>>
>> Committers: Please consider looking through the file (it's currently
>> agreeably small) and casting votes.
>>
>> I would like to aim for an April release so as not to interfere with
>> the 5.30 release in May.
>
> Thanks to some speedy voting, all commits so far proposed are now
> cherry-picked into maint-5.28 except for one: The original fix for
> perl #133547 was commit 393e5a4585, which has 3 votes, but this fix
> was later superseded by f4e61fc038 -- given which I'm not sure whether
> it's really right to cherry-pick 393e5a4585? Is it OK, should we
> consider f4e61fc038 instead, or should we even drop this fix from
> 5.28.2 and leave it for 5.30.0?
>
> Otherwise I'm hoping to get RC1 out on Friday 5th, with a view to a
> final release a fortnight later (Friday 19th). If we need an RC2 then
> we still have a week or more in hand before we hit May.

I wrote to Steve privately without having noticed this email having come
that I have revised that patch so it applies cleanly to 5.28.1, and I
now think we should apply it, fixing this new feature so it's really
usable in the 5.28 series
0
public