Restoring Jenkins for Linux

We turned off Jenkins, but I think it was because of WIndows issues.  Is
there some reason we can't have it on for Linux?
0
public

On 07/15/2017 04:50 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:
> We turned off Jenkins, but I think it was because of Windows issues.  Is
> there some reason we can't have it on for Linux?

I would like to second Karl's request for the restoration of testing of
blead on Linux.  Jenkins runs provided us with our early warning system
of breakages in blead -- a centralized, first-tier system as distinct
from the decentralized, second-tier system of multi-platform smoke tests
collated at http://perl.develop-help.com/ and
http://perl5.test-smoke.org/search.

I smoke-test on two different versions of FreeBSD running in VMs on my
everyday Linux laptop.  I kick off those smoke test runs manually rather
than by cron job.  Since those runs drain resources from my laptop, I
don't want to kick off a smoke test run only to discover, say, that a
porting/*.t test has failed due to an outdated $VERSION number.  That's
the sort of thing that Jenkins was very good at flagging.

I don't support turning Jenkins back on for Windows at this time.
Before we do that We need more Windows smoke-testers and more people
willing to fix test failures on Windows.  Once we get a full PASS on a
smoke-test run for Windows, then and only then should we consider adding
it to Jenkins.

What obstacles do we face to getting Jenkins back to test blead on Linux?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan
0
jkeenan