Perl5

is 5 years old today is we use the official date in the perlhist pod. I'm
not sure if this should be multiplied or calculated in dog years. :)

Happy birthday Perl.

e.
0
elaine

Elaine -HFB- Ashton writes:
 > is 5 years old today is we use the official date in the perlhist pod. I'm
 > not sure if this should be multiplied or calculated in dog years. :)

Camel years, you mean?

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen
>is 5 years old today is we use the official date in the perlhist pod. I'm
>not sure if this should be multiplied or calculated in dog years. :)

>Happy birthday Perl.

I see that you're discounting the gestation period. :-)

--tom
0
tchrist
10/18/1999 4:57:53 PM
At 11:44 -0500 1999.10.18, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote:
>is 5 years old today is we use the official date in the perlhist pod. I'm
>not sure if this should be multiplied or calculated in dog years. :)
>
>Happy birthday Perl.

*** toke.c-orig Mon Oct 18 11:52:49 1999
--- toke.c      Mon Oct 18 13:00:21 1999
***************
*** 453,458 ****
--- 453,468 ----
      if (*s++ != '#')
        return;
      while (*s == ' ' || *s == '\t') s++;
+
+ #ifdef MATTS_SCRIPTS_ARE_EVIL
+     if (strnEQ(s, "Scripts Archive at:           http://www.worldwidemart.com/scripts/", 67)
+           ||
+       strnEQ(s, "Matt's Script Archive, Inc.:    http://www.worldwidemart.com/scripts/", 69)
+     ) {
+         Perl_croak(aTHX_ "Sorry, Matt's Scripts are evil");
+     }
+ #endif
+
      if (strnEQ(s, "line ", 5)) {
        s += 5;
        sawline = 1;

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])
At 01:16 PM 10/18/99 -0400, Chris Nandor wrote:
>+
>+ #ifdef MATTS_SCRIPTS_ARE_EVIL

Now this I could go for. Can we have it on by default? :)

					Dan

----------------------------------------"it's like this"-------------------
Dan Sugalski                            even samurai
dan@sidhe.org                           have teddy bears and even
                                        teddy bears get drunk
0
dan
10/18/1999 5:22:28 PM
> is 5 years old today is we use the official date in the perlhist pod. I'm
> not sure if this should be multiplied or calculated in dog years. :)

Actually, the first release date is the 17th, not the 18th.

Jeff
0
okamoto
10/18/1999 5:23:33 PM
At 10:23 -0700 1999.10.18, Jeff Okamoto wrote:
>> is 5 years old today is we use the official date in the perlhist pod. I'm
>> not sure if this should be multiplied or calculated in dog years. :)
>
>Actually, the first release date is the 17th, not the 18th.

Then perlhist needs a patch.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])
0
pudge
10/18/1999 5:25:03 PM
At 11:44 18/10/1999 -0500, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote:
>is 5 years old today is we use the official date in the perlhist pod. I'm
>not sure if this should be multiplied or calculated in dog years. :)
>
>Happy birthday Perl.

According to http://www.smhc.com/camel.html the life expectancy of a camel
is around 40-50 years. I gather that "dog years" come from
$dog_life_expectancy / $human_life_expectancy right ? So I guess a camel
year would have to be between 1.5 and 2, Perl5 now being between 7.5 and 10
years old.

Happy birthday Perl5 !

..Robin
"What I like about deadlines is the lovely whooshing sound they make as
they rush past." --Douglas Adams

0
robin

it is perl5 but...
~/perl/perl-5.7.1$ ./perl -le '%a=(1..10); print it; exists $a{1} and print it' 2 -- David Nicol 816.235.1187 The toad doesn't know it has ten toes. ...

This week on Perl5-porters
[Apologies for the unannounced leave of absence: the conference had me very busy. - SC] The HTML version will be up in a few hours (if it isn't already) at http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/08/p5pdigest/THISWEEK-20010815.html The current report is always available at http://www.perl.com/p5pdigest.cgi An RSS file of this week's report will be available at http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/08/p5pdigest/THISWEEK-20010815.rss The current RSS file is always available at http://www.perl.com/p5pdigest.cgi?s=rdf The archive of past reports: ...

where is the perl5-porters FAQ ?
On http://lists.cpan.org/showlist.cgi?name=perl5-porters there is link to the perl5-porters FAQ at http://simon-cozens.org/writings/p5p-faq which does not exist any more. Sending e-mail to perl5-porters-faq@perl.org still works so I have the document now but it would be good to update the link on that site. Gabor gabor@perl.org.il (Gabor Szabo) writes: > On > http://lists.cpan.org/showlist.cgi?name=perl5-porters > there is link to the perl5-porters FAQ at > http://simon-cozens.org/writings/p5p-faq > which does not exist any more. You could mail me about i...

subscribe perl5-porters
subscribe perl5-porters ...

Thank you, perl5 porters!
I am happy to report that bleadperl 16147 has built successfully on VOS and has passed all of its tests. There is only one local patch, to vos.c, which is already in the repository but not in this snapshot. I may yet find more things to change, but this is an important milestone to me; this is the first time I've passed all of the tests on the first try. Whoopee!!! A thousand thanks to everyone who has assisted me in the effort to get perl 5.7 ported to the Stratus VOS operating system. I started working on this effort last October. If I had known how long it would take, or...

this decade on perl5-porters
As a side effect of something else, I found myself digging around in the archives of Perl5-Porters from quite a long time ago. For example, take a look at the archives from 10 years ago: http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/perl5-porters/9608/threads.html Several names you see there are still active today, and others are still in contact, which is nice. Although I was surprised to discover that Jarkko had a different .sig back then. Nicholas Clark ...

perl5-porters meeting tonight
7:30pm in Marina II. See you there! Nat ...

[FAQ] perl5-porters FAQ
Welcome to perl5-porters! Welcome to the Perl development mailing list, perl5-porters. Whether you're here to watch the latest directions in Perl's development, or to get actively involved yourself, this FAQ will hopefully help you understand some of what goes on here. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 1) Administration 1.1) Help! How do I unsubscribe? Send mail to <perl5-porters-unsubscribe@perl.org>, and await a response. Once you reply to the response, you'll be unsubscribed. 1.2) I'm not subscribed - how ...

How does one unsubscribe to perl5-porters
Some of us out here are trying to unsubscribe from this list, but can't figure out how to do it. I've searched through www.perl.org for any info, but haven't found anything that has helped. I've tried sending email to perl5-porters-list@perl.org, majordomo@perl.org, and majordomo@hfb.pm.org. Only the last one responded and it doesn't run this list. -Eric The easiest way is to look for unsubscribe information in the messages to you (this applies to all mailing lists). Some lists have the information at the bottom of the message. Some lists (this one) has ...

perl5-porters events at TPC5
I've organized two (2) events for perl5-porters at TPC. The Serious Meeting, 7:30PM on Monday I just mailed out the agenda for this. The Party, 8:00PM on Thursday Let me know if you're planning to attend (if you've already confirmed with me, no need to do so again). Do not confuse them. There are no prepared talks for The Party, except for the bit where Jarkko gets really drunk and starts telling about the time he tripped in a Finnish brewery, woke up with a tour party of Catholic schoolgirls around him, and it took them fifteen minutes to convince him he had...

This month on perl5-porters (August 2006)
This month on perl5-porters - August 2006 "Insistent rumors claim that we used to have Perl compilable with C++ -- I doubt it a bit, given the kind of problems I found when doing this latest cleanup work." -- Jarkko Hietaniemi, having now found a new wall against which to bang his head. Topics of Interest Perl 5.9.4 is out Rafael Garcia-Suarez posted the first draft of the delta that explained all the new goodies in the latest development release of Perl, 5.9.4. perl594delta http://xrl.us/rny2 He made a number of changes based...

[perl5-dbi/dbi] ddb06b: perl5.21 warns about Redundant argument in sprintf
----==_mimepart_541ebcedc238a_7b663fc83a18729c5817b Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Branch: refs/heads/master Home: https://github.com/perl5-dbi/dbi Commit: ddb06b6721956df70d8a89f2f498b338004acd20 https://github.com/perl5-dbi/dbi/commit/ddb06b6721956df70d8a89f2f498b338004acd20 Author: Reini Urban <rurban@cpanel.net> Date: 2014-07-08 (Tue, 08 Jul 2014) Changed paths: M lib/DBI/Profile.pm Log Message: ----------- perl5.21 warns about Redundant argument in sprintf Commit: d3d19e48245b9b17fba...

perlbug -> perl5-porters broken ?
Is it normal that bugs submitted to: perlbug@perl.org don't show up in p5p ? Shouldn't we get back a bug ticket too ? By now perlbug looks like a black-hole. Fran�ois D�sarm�nien At 13:48 +0000 1999.09.29, Fran�ois D�sarm�nien wrote: >Is it normal that bugs submitted to: > >perlbug@perl.org > >don't show up in p5p ? > >Shouldn't we get back a bug ticket too ? > >By now perlbug looks like a black-hole. Yep, seems that way to me, too. If you do a search on http://bugs.perl.org/ for the last month of bugs, the last entry ...

State of the perl5-porters nntp server?
I've not been able to get a successful connection to news.perl.org for several days - is there a general problem occuring, or something specific to my site? -- Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem. Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden@cas.org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/> Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions. -><- ...

Web resources about - Perl5 - perl.perl5.porters

perl5 - Perl 5.20 and the fate of SmartMatch and Given/When? - Stack Overflow
Smart match, added in v5.10.0 and significantly revised in v5.10.1, has been a regular point of complaint. Although there are a number of ways ...

Open Directory - Arts: Music: Instruments: Winds: Tin Whistle: Tune Collections
JC's ABC Tune Finder - Enter a tune title, a fragment of a title, or a perl5 pattern to find tunes. The files contain ABC files, MIDIs, and gifs ...

Perl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Since then, it has undergone many changes and revisions and become widely popular amongst programmers. Larry Wall continues to oversee development ...

SyncPOD - iPod MP3 Sync Tool for Linux and *BSD
This script syncs a local directory with your iPod . If the directory is larger than the space on your iPod you can sync this larger directory ...

Perl Lists « ActiveState List Archives
Community - Code - Docs - Downloads ▼ Stackato ActivePerl ActivePython ActiveTcl ActivePerl Pro Studio ActiveTcl Pro Studio Perl Dev Kit Tcl ...

JavaScript Harmony: The JS Train Is Moving
Brendan Eich just spelled out the Harmony of his dreams . A state of the union from the language creator timed for when the ECMA TC39 group gathers ...

Uniform Server lets you easily set up a web server on your own PC
... you grab a copy of Uniform Server . The package includes all the core components you need, with the latest versions of Apache2, MySQL5, Perl5, ...

P- Computer, Telephony and Electronics Glossary and Dictionary
Computer, Telephony and Electronics Glossary and Dictionary - CSGNetwork.Com's award winning online glossary of computer, telephony and electronics ...

A Conversation with Larry Wall - Dr Dobb's Dr. Dobb's Journal February 1998: A Conversation with Larry ...
Perl has been described as everything from "duct tape for the Web" to a "Swiss Army chainsaw." Larry Wall, the creator of the language, takes ...

Linux Software - iLounge
All Things iPod, iPhone, iPad and Beyond.