Perl5 on Solaris, 64-bit (sparcv9) vs not 64-bit

I recently went through the trouble of figuring out how to compile Perl
(5.6.1) on my Ultra 5 for maximal 64-bitness, linking against the 64-bit
sparcv9 libraries and everything.

My question is, has anyone done any performance comparisons against
regular 32-bit perl?  Is there a significant benefit to using the 64-bit
libraries?

I know that in theory it would be faster, but has anyone actually bothered
to do it?

- D

<dmlloyd@tds.net>

0
dmlloyd

"David M. Lloyd" wrote:

> I recently went through the trouble of figuring out how to compile Perl
> (5.6.1) on my Ultra 5 for maximal 64-bitness, linking against the 64-bit
> sparcv9 libraries and everything.
>
> My question is, has anyone done any performance comparisons against
> regular 32-bit perl?  Is there a significant benefit to using the 64-bit
> libraries?
>
> I know that in theory it would be faster, but has anyone actually bothered
> to do it?

Actually, in theory it would be slightly slower, as all pointers become 64
bit, and that means more time to do address manipulation, and as the process
image size tends to grow as well, more page faults - again a potential
performance hit.  I haven't done any benchmarks but in general LP64
applications do take a slight performance hit.  Unless you really need more
than 2Gb of address space, stick with 32 bit.  The only LP64 apps that we
ship in Solaris are those that need to be 64 bit, mainly because they need
to fiddle with another 64-bit process - there are 35 LP64 commands under
/usr/bin, vs. 563 LP32 ones.

If you do build LP64 (and it does work OK) make sure to use the Solaris
malloc (-Dusemymalloc) as the perl one blows up over 2Gb.  With that in
place I have had perl script run and create a single 10Gb string - just to
see if it could be done :-)

Alan Burlison
0
Alan

Upgrading from ASE (32-bit) 12.0.0.7 on Solaris 2.8 64-bit to ASE(64-bit) 12.5.1 on Solaris 64-bit
Hello all, We are planning to upgrade our ASE servers from a 32-bit ASE 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1 on Solaris 8. Could you please give what are the steps to be taken care and how do I start with ( Do I have to first upgrade to 32-bit12.5.1 and then upgrade to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1, or directly upgrade from 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1 ?). Could you also please point to some documentation (about upgrading 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1). Thanks RK ...

64 bit cpu // 64 bit Os version // 64 bit powerbuilder?
Hi guys, Does anyone know if Powebuilder is available in 64 bit? Kind regards A 64-bit version of PB does not (yet) exist. -- HTH Arnoud Url: http://www.gloriant.be Also check out my PB Reference site : http://www.pbinfo.be "Gunther Huygens" <ghuygens@be.xrt.com> wrote in message news:eoSjDRaCDHA.331@forums-1-dub... > Hi guys, > > Does anyone know if Powebuilder is available in 64 bit? > > Kind regards > > > > Since there are no OS Windows 64 bits, i wonder how it could be possible. Since there is a 64 bi...

32-bit clent or 64-bit client on 64-bit O/S
We currently have a 32-bit client running on AIX 4.3.3 32-bit. We're moving that client to an AIX 5.x 64-bit system. Is there any advantage to switching to the 64-bit Sybase client? I'm not sure if it matters but the ASE Server that the client uses is 12.5 64-bit running on a 64-bit O/S. TIA only if you client app needs the extra memory "Richard" <rmcgorman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1170712581.822225.158160@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > We currently have a 32-bit client running on AIX 4.3.3 32-bit. We're > moving that > ...

Building 64 bit Python against 32 bit ASE on 64-bit Linux
I've been using various version of SYBASE=/usr/local/packages/sybase* to no avail. They all are giving me errors lated to "libblk". any ideas? /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/packages/sybase_OLD/lib/libblk.a when searching for -lblk If possible could you CC mrogish at tigr dot org since I am using the Sybase.com forums reader and it is difficult to bookmark this thread. Thanks!!! -- Matt Rogish cronus:/local/src/Linux64/python/modules/sybase-0.37 # /usr/local/packages/python64-2.4.2/bin/python setup.py build running build running build_py c...

ASE 12 (64 bit) on SUNFIRE Midrange Server Family(Solaris 8 64 bit)
Any one running this combination yet? ...

Solaris 9 64-bit, Oracle 9.2 64-bit configure, compile, test scripts
Tim's instructions stated to post when the "standard no option" = configure failed so here goes... I used a string of =3D's to separate the files I cat'd to this email. Solaris 9 64-bit Oracle 9.2.0.3 64-bit perl 5.8.0=20 output from perl -V: Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 0) configuration: Platform: osname=3Dsolaris, osvers=3D2.9, archname=3Dsun4-solaris uname=3D'sunos ohsun3 5.9 generic_112233-05 sun4u sparc = sunw,ultra-250 ' config_args=3D'-Dprefix=3D/usr/local/perl-5.8.0 -Duse64bitall=3Dy = -Dcc=3Dg...

SQL 8 support for 64 bit OS and 64 BIT OS, 64 BIT BUS Support, technical white paper, documentation, examples and success stories for SQL 8 if any please
SQL Anywhere Associates!! Is SQL 8 support 64 bit OS and 64 BIT OS, 64 BIT BUS Support, technical white paper, documentation, examples and success stories for SQL 8 if any please.... Thanks Vairam Is there any particular 64 bit OS that you are interested in hearing about? - Mark VS Vairam wrote: > > SQL Anywhere Associates!! > Is SQL 8 support 64 bit OS and 64 BIT OS, 64 BIT BUS Support, technical > white paper, documentation, examples and success stories for SQL 8 if any > please.... > > Thanks > > Vairam WINDOWS all flavours...

SQL 8 support for 64 bit OS and 64 BIT OS, 64 BIT BUS Support, technical white paper, documentation, examples and success stories for SQL 8 if any please
SQL Anywhere Associates!! Is SQL 8 support 64 bit OS and 64 BIT OS, 64 BIT BUS Support, technical white paper, documentation, examples and success stories for SQL 8 if any please.... Thanks Vairam I believe that SQL Anywhere Studio is currently only released in a 32-bit format. TO the extent that 32-bit applications can run on a 64-bit OS, you can use ASA on a 64-bit system. -- Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions Certified SQL Anywhere Associate Please reply only to the newsgroup ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm -> Cho...

32-bit ASE 12.5.x on 64-bit Solaris9 or 64-bit Solaris10
manuals.sybase.com does not mention anything about Solaris9/10. It only mentions about required patches for Solaris8. Does Sybase support 32-bit ASE 12.5.x on 64-bit Solaris9 or 64-bit Solaris10 ( SPARCs of course )? Any specific OS patches required for Sol9/10 ? ...

64 bit vs 32 bit
I am completely baffled by the choices presented by my decision to invest in a new PC. Should I go 64 bit or stay with what I know 32 bit. Has anyone got a reference to an authoritative source which I could use to educate myself? -- Alan Cameron Alan, > Has anyone got a reference to an authoritative source which I could use to > educate myself? Sure, right here.....just search for it! Search for; XP 64 or 32? Test Win7: 32 or 64 bit? Those are 2 subjects recently discussed here. -- Jim Lilly Using - Virtual Access(OLR) http...

64 bit vs 32 bit
Hi Whats the main difference between 64bit vs 32 bit ASE. whats the adv of using 64 bit ASE. Thanks ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp CPN wrote: > > Hi > > Whats the main difference between 64bit vs 32 bit ASE. whats the adv of using 64 > bit ASE. > The address space they can address. The 32 bit version is limited to 4gb (somewhat less on some platforms), while the 64-bit version can address several terabytes. So if you have more memory than the 32-bit version can use, the ...

64-bit vs 32-bit
Just curious - are there any observable improvements (other than increased addressing range for memory and drives) in using a 64-bit OS over a 32-bit OS? For that matter, are there any disadvantages? I had forgotten that when I got my new hardware last year it was a 64-bit system. I don't even recall if Mepis 64-bit was available then or if I even looked into it, but I have been running Mepis 32-bit since. I could shift over (probably with 8.5), but is it worth the effort? Jim Jim Sladek wrote: > Just curious - are there any observable improvements (other than ...

32 Bit vs. 64 Bit
Hi together, Our machine has 16 GB RAM / 4 cpu and runs under Solaris 8. ASE is currently 12.5.0 (32 Bit) but soon 12.5.2 (?Bit) Our two main database are - one database with a lot of transactions, - and one database with a lot of data, less transactions, but sometimes heavy querys. We are thinking about two small 32 ASE or one 64 Bit ASE Can any body recommend something? Will the database sizes change a lot? I welcome every comment on this. wish you all a quiet friday 13th, martin <martin> wrote in message news:411c72fa.58b5.1681692777@sybase.com... ...

64-bit TB needs 64-bit plugins
Is it true? Can it use 32-bit plugins? -- @~@ You have the right to remain silent. / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! /( _ )\ May the Force and farces be with you! ^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3 不借貸! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA): http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_pubsvc/page_socsecu/sub_addressesa In article <dOadnXN0re6DudjTnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@mozilla.org>, toylet.toylet@gmail.com says... > > Is it true? Can it use 32-bit plugins? No, it cannot use 32b plugins, nether FF can. It is general rule for every 64bit application, that it...

Web resources about - Perl5 on Solaris, 64-bit (sparcv9) vs not 64-bit - perl.perl5.porters

Solaris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Solari Report Blog - The Solari Report Blog
Disclaimer Nothing on The Solari Report should be taken as individual investment advice. Anyone seeking investment advice for his or her personal ...

Solaris Books
Publishers of Science-Fiction, Fantasy and Dark Fantasy

Welcome to Solaris Mobile Online » Solaris Mobile solarismobile.com
Your default description here Home About Us Services Media Contact Us Wireless Wideband Communication for the Mobile Age Solaris Mobile leads ...

Open Directory - Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Unix: Solaris
Solaris Operating System - Gateway page to knowledge base, forums, patches, hardware guide, online support center, marketing materials, product ...

Chris Solari (@chrissolari) on Twitter

Solaris - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
En grande -large size See where this picture was taken. [?]

Solaris Full Highway Scene - YouTube
Highway scene from Tarkovsky's Solaris (1972)

Oracle subpoenas Comcast in connection with Solaris support lawsuit
Oracle and Comcast are locked in a legal tussle related to Oracle's intellectual-property lawsuit against Solaris OS support providers Terix ...

Can toilet paper be a luxury product? Solaris attacks $1.4b oligopoly
Solaris Paper head Terry Hughes is going up-market with a toilet paper brand called Emporia, tackling the $1.4 billion oligopoly in Australia's ...