Perl 5.26.2 is now available!

How does a cat use its whiskers?  The usual answer is that the whiskers
are feelers that enable a cat to tell whether a gap is wide enough for
it to squeeze through, but the truth is more complicated and more
remarkable.  In addition to their obvious role as feelers sensitive to
touch, the whiskers also operate as air-current detectors.  As the cat
moves along in the dark it needs to manoeuvre past solid objects without
touching them.  Each solid object it approaches causes slight eddies in
the air, minute disturbances in the currents of air movements, and the
cat's whiskers are so amazingly sensitive that they can read these air
changes and respond to the presence of solid obstacles even without
touching them.

  -- Desmond Morris, "Catwatching: The Essential Guide to Cat Behaviour"

We are pleased to announce version 26.2, the second maintenance release
of version 26 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.26.2 from your favourite CPAN
mirror or find it at:

  https://metacpan.org/release/SHAY/perl-5.26.2/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

  5dc74e667250a663d8f3114869e13ba2869bf6a9  perl-5.26.2.tar.gz
  2057b65e3a6ac71287c973402cd01084a1edc35b  perl-5.26.2.tar.bz2
  bfa5c7921ed7bf5e035dbf2f7ff81367b81e372c  perl-5.26.2.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located
in the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web.

Perl 5.26.2 represents approximately 7 months of development since Perl
5.26.1 and contains approximately 3,300 lines of changes across 82 files
from 17 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there
were approximately 1,800 lines of changes to 36 .pm, .t, .c and .h
files.

Perl continues to flourish into its third decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers.  The following people are known to
have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.26.2:

Aaron Crane, Abigail, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, H.Merijn Brand, James E
Keenan, Jarkko Hietaniemi, John SJ Anderson, Karen Etheridge, Karl
Williamson, Lukas Mai, Renee Baecker, Sawyer X, Steve Hay, Todd Rinaldo,
Tony Cook, Yves Orton, Zefram.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history.  In particular, it does not
include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
modules included in Perl's core.  We're grateful to the entire CPAN
community for helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors,
please see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.

The next major stable release of Perl 5, version 28.0, should appear in
May 2018, with version 29.0 released around the same time.

Steve Hay
0
perl5

Hi all,

thanks for the new releases. One question though:

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 12:32:15 +0100
Steve Hay via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> How does a cat use its whiskers?  The usual answer is that the whiskers
> are feelers that enable a cat to tell whether a gap is wide enough for
> it to squeeze through, but the truth is more complicated and more
> remarkable.  In addition to their obvious role as feelers sensitive to
> touch, the whiskers also operate as air-current detectors.  As the cat
> moves along in the dark it needs to manoeuvre past solid objects without
> touching them.  Each solid object it approaches causes slight eddies in
> the air, minute disturbances in the currents of air movements, and the
> cat's whiskers are so amazingly sensitive that they can read these air
> changes and respond to the presence of solid obstacles even without
> touching them.
>=20
>   -- Desmond Morris, "Catwatching: The Essential Guide to Cat Behaviour"
>=20
> We are pleased to announce version 26.2, the second maintenance release
> of version 26 of Perl 5.
>=20
> You will soon be able to download Perl 5.26.2 from your favourite CPAN
> mirror or find it at:
>=20
>   https://metacpan.org/release/SHAY/perl-5.26.2/
>=20
> SHA1 digests for this release are:
>=20
>   5dc74e667250a663d8f3114869e13ba2869bf6a9  perl-5.26.2.tar.gz
>   2057b65e3a6ac71287c973402cd01084a1edc35b  perl-5.26.2.tar.bz2
>   bfa5c7921ed7bf5e035dbf2f7ff81367b81e372c  perl-5.26.2.tar.xz
>=20
> You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located
> in the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web.
>=20
> Perl 5.26.2 represents approximately 7 months of development since Perl
> 5.26.1 and contains approximately 3,300 lines of changes across 82 files
> from 17 authors.
>=20
> Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there
> were approximately 1,800 lines of changes to 36 .pm, .t, .c and .h
> files.
>=20
> Perl continues to flourish into its third decade thanks to a vibrant
> community of users and developers.  The following people are known to
> have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.26.2:
>=20

Souldn't it be "its fourth decade", Perl being over 30 years old?

--=20
shlomif
4/14/2018 12:24:12 PM
Steve Hay via perl5-porters writes:
> We are pleased to announce version 26.2, the second maintenance release
> of version 26 of Perl 5.

I'm still having the same problem as with the RC1 (not unexpectedly)
when building for Cygwin.

Achim Gratz writes:
> More worrisome is this:
>
> lib/ExtUtils/t/Embed ........................................... FAILED at test 1
>
> Here I've had gcc hang and do absolutely nothing until I killed it two
> hours later.  I'll have to go back to the previous release to check
> possible regressions in the environment before investigating further.

This turns out to only happen when going through TestInit.  It seems
that this causes the embed test to add some new options to the gcc
command line, specifically an empty "-Wp, " and that just makes the
compiler hang.  I'm not quite sure what might have changed that causes
this option to have an empty argument.  I think the expectation was that
there'd be a "-Wp,D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2" in that place.  Please note that
from the previous release the compiler on Cygwin was updated and source
fortification is now the default.

Any ideas of why that takes this unfortunate turn of events or even
better how to fix it?

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html
0
Stromeko
4/14/2018 5:23:46 PM
Achim Gratz writes:
> This turns out to only happen when going through TestInit.  It seems
> that this causes the embed test to add some new options to the gcc
> command line, specifically an empty "-Wp, " and that just makes the
> compiler hang.  I'm not quite sure what might have changed that causes
> this option to have an empty argument.  I think the expectation was that
> there'd be a "-Wp,D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2" in that place.

Curious and curouser… So if I s/FORTIFY_SOURCE/FORCIFY_SOURCE/ in
lib/Config_heavy.pl then that problem goes away and gcc gets called with
"-Wp,D_FORCIFY_SOURCE=2".  Now if I know why that argument to Wp, was
vanishing…

Regards,
Achim.

Stromeko
4/14/2018 7:47:24 PM
Achim Gratz writes:
> Curious and curiouser… So if I s/FORTIFY_SOURCE/FORCIFY_SOURCE/ in
> lib/Config_heavy.pl then that problem goes away and gcc gets called with
> "-Wp,D_FORCIFY_SOURCE=2".  Now if I know why that argument to Wp, was
> vanishing…

It's this code in Embed.t:

   # XXX DAPM 12/2014: ExtUtils::Embed doesn't seem to provide API access
   # to $Config{optimize} and so compiles the test code without
   # optimisation on optimised perls. This causes the compiler to warn
   # when -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE is in force without -O. For now, just strip
   # the fortify on optimised builds to avoid the warning.
   my $ccflags =  ccflags();
   $ccflags =~ s/-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=\d+// if $Config{optimize} =~ /-O/;

It clearly didn't expect the symbol definition getting preceded with
"-Wp," (I still don't know where that is coming from).  However, just
commenting out the line doesn't produce any warnings or erros from gcc
either, so I don't even know what problem it was trying to solve.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:
Stromeko
4/15/2018 7:01:38 PM
Achim Gratz writes:
> It clearly didn't expect the symbol definition getting preceded with
> "-Wp," (I still don't know where that is coming from).

The "-Wp," prefix on the symbol definition comes from the current
version of cygport.  Removing that prefix should get things back to
normal for the release of perl on Cygwin.

Regards,
Achim.

Stromeko
4/16/2018 5:47:58 PM
Achim Gratz writes:
> The "-Wp," prefix on the symbol definition comes from the current
> version of cygport.  Removing that prefix should get things back to
> normal for the release of perl on Cygwin.

That peculiar style of introducing a preprocessor symbol was actually
copied into cygport from Fedora.  Interestingly Fedora doesn't seem to
have the same problem so it either takes a different code path through
t/Embed or otherwise mangles the CFLAGS somewhere else.

Regards,
Achim.

Stromeko