Needs Triage label needs a way to self-remove

When we tracked issues in RT, a ticket's Status would automatically be
designated as 'New' when the ticket was opened by email.  The ticket's
Status would change to Open when (if I remember correctly) either (a)
there was a Reply to the ticket (at least from someone other than the
original poster); or (b) when someone with permissions manually changed
the Status from New to Open.  The ticket's Status would *not* (again,
IIRC) change from New to Open if someone with permissions were to go
into the ticket and list links, affected OSes, affected perl versions,
etc.  In that way, "New" status more or less accurately signified "Not
yet replied to"; "Open" status more or less accurately signified "a
human has replied to this".

The program that we wrote to move issues from RT to github apparently
classified both New and Open tickets as Open.  To preserve the
distinction, I believe that Todd Rinaldo wrote a hook which
automatically applied the "Needs Triage" label to tickets as they
entered the system.  This permits us to run queries like this:

#####
https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3A%22Needs+Triage%22
#####

However, AFAICT the "Needs Triage" label does not automatically get
removed from an issue once the issue is updated.  This leads to the
paradoxical result that an issue can be Closed and yet still be "needing
triage":

#####
https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3A%22Needs+Triage%22+
#####

Is there some way we could cause the "Needs Triage" label to go poof
once an Issue has received its first non-metadata-ish reply?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan
0
jkeenan

On 11/5/19 4:02 AM, James E Keenan wrote:
> When we tracked issues in RT, a ticket's Status would automatically be
> designated as 'New' when the ticket was opened by email.  The ticket's
> Status would change to Open when (if I remember correctly) either (a)
> there was a Reply to the ticket (at least from someone other than the
> original poster); or (b) when someone with permissions manually
> changed the Status from New to Open.  The ticket's Status would *not*
> (again, IIRC) change from New to Open if someone with permissions were
> to go into the ticket and list links, affected OSes, affected perl
> versions, etc.  In that way, "New" status more or less accurately
> signified "Not yet replied to"; "Open" status more or less accurately
> signified "a human has replied to this".
>
> The program that we wrote to move issues from RT to github apparently
> classified both New and Open tickets as Open.  To preserve the
> distinction, I believe that Todd Rinaldo wrote a hook which
> automatically applied the "Needs Triage" label to tickets as they
> entered the system.  This permits us to run queries like this:
>
> #####
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3A%22Needs+Triage%22
>
> #####
>
> However, AFAICT the "Needs Triage" label does not automatically get
> removed from an issue once the issue is updated.  This leads to the
> paradoxical result that an issue can be Closed and yet still be
> "needing triage":
>
> #####
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3A%22Needs+Triage%22+
>
> #####
>
> Is there some way we could cause the "Needs Triage" label to go poof
> once an Issue has received its first non-metadata-ish reply?

We could write a hook that checks for any activity on it and then remove
the label, but I think it's just forcing GitHub to be RT.

When I add labels, I remove the "Needs Triage" label. If I keep it, it's
because I think there might be additional labels I haven't realized.
0
xsawyerx