Moderation

My fellow list members,

There has been a recent spate of discussion, both here and off-list,
about the nature and consequences of moderation. Some messages that
have appeared on the list do not meet our standards of conduct. I am
genuinely unhappy to report that some off-list messages have been
particularly full of unpleasant invective, mostly directed at Sawyer.

The moderators have discussed this situation at length, both as a
group and with some other people. We say unanimously that we will not
accept this. The list is meant as a tool to discuss the maintenance
and development of the language and not a medium for doling out
personal attacks and insults. We will not permit this to become a
platform to abuse others.

We are therefore making four rulings.

1. We hereby issue a formal warning to Scott Lanning for this message:

https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2018/01/msg248666.html

Our standards of conduct are clear that responding in kind to
incivility is not acceptable. We are pleased to see that Scott has
apologised, and we therefore think it unlikely that this behaviour
will be repeated. Nonetheless, we do consider it necessary to issue a
formal warning about this message, on the grounds that moderation
actions should be applied universally.

2. We have noted the existence of this message from Andreas Koenig,
forwarding a second message from Marc Lehmann:

https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2018/01/msg248664.html

The wording of the forwarded message is clearly in contravention of
our standards of conduct, and the moderators consider that the
standards of conduct should apply to forwarded messages just as to the
sender's own words. However, in the absence of a clear statement to
that effect, we have decided to let this one message pass without
formal warning. We will adjust perlpolicy.pod to be clear on this
point, and we will not clarify a second time.

3. Marc Lehmann was banned from the list in June 2016. This was
intended to be a time-limited one-month ban, but an administrative
oversight meant that the ban has been in place since then. We
apologise to Marc for our failure to lift the ban at the right time.
The ban has now been lifted.

4. We will not discuss these rulings any further. We have deliberated
extensively over these matters off-list, and we consider this to be a
repeated reaffirmation of our unanimous decisions. Any attempts to
engage the moderators in further discussion of these topics, whether
on- or off-list, will therefore be treated as actions warranting
moderator intervention.

Our goal continues to be that people who work on Perl 5 should be able
to do so in a respectful and peaceful environment, just as they would
be able to do their job in a conventional workplace.

In that spirit of peace and respect, we wish everybody a happy 2018
that brings you everything you want out of it.

--
Aaron Crane
0

> [...]
> that the ban has been in place since then. We apologise to Marc for our
> failure to lift the ban at the right time. The ban has now been lifted.
>
> 4. We will not discuss these rulings any further. We have deliberated
> extensively over these matters off-list, and we consider this to be a
> repeated reaffirmation of our unanimous decisions. Any attempts to engage
> the moderators in further discussion of these topics, whether on- or
> off-list, will therefore be treated as actions warranting moderator
> intervention.
>

> Our goal continues to be that people who work on Perl 5 should be able to
> do so in a respectful and peaceful environment, just as they would be able
> to do their job in a conventional workplace.
>
> In that spirit of peace and respect, we wish everybody a happy 2018 that
> brings you everything you want out of it.

Thank you, Aaron, for your balance and sensibility.

Cheers,
Rob
0
sisyphus1