make: *** No rule to make target `<command-line>', needed by `miniperlmain.o'.

Hi,

I just tried to compile Perl 5.8.8 on my Linux Debian, with

    ./Configure -des -Dprefix=/opt/my && make

And got this:

    First let's make sure your kit is complete.  Checking...
    <copious amount of stuff removed>
    Now you must run 'make'.

    If you compile perl5 on a different machine or from a different object
    directory, copy the Policy.sh file from this object directory to the
    new one before you run Configure -- this will help you with most of
    the policy defaults.

    make: *** No rule to make target `<command-line>', needed by `miniperlmain.o'.  Stop.

I've tried on another Linux system, and it compiled correctly, which
leads me to think that my system is kinda broken (although Perl 5.10.0
compiled correctly on the same machine).

Has anyone already met this problem?

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 When it is time for voting-      /     In the West or in the East-
 Why must we always settle for-   /     The man we hate the least?
                                (Intro poem to Groo The Wanderer #108 (Epic))
0
philippe

  > Hi,
  > I just tried to compile Perl 5.8.8 on my Linux Debian, with

  >     ./Configure -des -Dprefix=/opt/my && make

  > And got this:

  >     First let's make sure your kit is complete.  Checking...
  >     <copious amount of stuff removed>
  >     Now you must run 'make'.

  >     If you compile perl5 on a different machine or from a different object
  >     directory, copy the Policy.sh file from this object directory to the
  >     new one before you run Configure -- this will help you with most of
  >     the policy defaults.

  >     make: *** No rule to make target `<command-line>', needed by `miniperlmain.o'.  Stop.

  > I've tried on another Linux system, and it compiled correctly, which
  > leads me to think that my system is kinda broken (although Perl 5.10.0
  > compiled correctly on the same machine).

  > Has anyone already met this problem?

I'm surprised. I know a similar problem with old perls and new
compilers and I solve it with

    perl -i~ -nle 'print unless /<(built-in|command line)>/' makefile x2p/makefile

Note, that I have no dash between 'command' and 'line'.

I suppose you hit a variant of the same problem. It's simply something
unexpected being output by some tool and then being written to the
Makefile.

--
andreas
0
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, (Andreas J. Koenig) wrote:

>   > Hi,
>   > I just tried to compile Perl 5.8.8 on my Linux Debian, with
>
>   >     ./Configure -des -Dprefix=/opt/my && make
>
>   > And got this:
>

>   >     make: *** No rule to make target `<command-line>', needed by `miniperlmain.o'.  Stop.

> I'm surprised. I know a similar problem with old perls and new
> compilers and I solve it with
>
>     perl -i~ -nle 'print unless /<(built-in|command line)>/' makefile x2p/makefile
>
> Note, that I have no dash between 'command' and 'line'.
>
> I suppose you hit a variant of the same problem. It's simply something
> unexpected being output by some tool and then being written to the
> Makefile.

It's output of gcc during the 'make depend' process.  We try to filter out
those non-files, but the output of gcc has changed somewhat over the
years, and the filtering isn't perfect.

In any case, just edit 'makefile' (note -- that's 'makefile', not
'Makefile') and remove any lines with 'command-line' in them.

Hope this helps,

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu

0
doughera
2/2/2008 4:31:18 PM
On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 11:31:18AM -0500, Andy Dougherty wrote:

> >   >     make: *** No rule to make target `<command-line>', needed by `miniperlmain.o'.  Stop.
>
> > I'm surprised. I know a similar problem with old perls and new
> > compilers and I solve it with
> >
> > I suppose you hit a variant of the same problem. It's simply something
> > unexpected being output by some tool and then being written to the
> > Makefile.
>
> It's output of gcc during the 'make depend' process.

  $ gcc --version
  gcc (GCC) 4.2.3 20080114 (prerelease) (Debian 4.2.2-7)

>  We try to filter out
> those non-files, but the output of gcc has changed somewhat over the
> years, and the filtering isn't perfect.

Just out of curiosity, where is the filtering done?

> In any case, just edit 'makefile' (note -- that's 'makefile', not
> 'Makefile') and remove any lines with 'command-line' in them.

Thanks to And(y|reas), it compiled.

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 The only way to get a better government is to get better voters.
philippe
2/2/2008 8:29:56 PM
Quoth philippe.bruhat@free.fr ("Philippe Bruhat (BooK)"):
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 11:31:18AM -0500, Andy Dougherty wrote:
> >
> > It's output of gcc during the 'make depend' process.
> >  We try to filter out
> > those non-files, but the output of gcc has changed somewhat over the
> > years, and the filtering isn't perfect.
>
> Just out of curiosity, where is the filtering done?

makedepend, made from makedepend.SH by Configure. Both 5.10.0 and
5.8.9-tobe filter both <command line> and <command-line>, while 5.8.8
only filters the former, so I guess gcc annoyingly changed the output
recently.

Ben

0
ben
2/2/2008 9:11:23 PM
On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 09:29:56PM +0100, Philippe Bruhat (BooK) wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 11:31:18AM -0500, Andy Dougherty wrote:

> >  We try to filter out
> > those non-files, but the output of gcc has changed somewhat over the
> > years, and the filtering isn't perfect.
>
> Just out of curiosity, where is the filtering done?

Search for "builtin" in makedepend (which in turn is written by makedepend.SH)
There you will find a bunch of sed substitutions.

It looks like we "got" this one here:

http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse/p/28615

mmm, and I merged it to 5.8.x about 50 weeks' ago:

http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse/p/30206

and then got side tracked by something that overran beyond my control and
prevented 5.8.9. And then more real life(TM) intervened.

However, it is coming soon* - working on merging stuff right now. **

Nicholas Clark

*  For some value of soon. Contents may settle during transit. Might have fun
   on VMS.
** Currently I "own" perbrowse. Mine, all mine!
   http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse?top=&show_recent=Show+Change+Log
0
nick

"make[4]: *** No rule to make target `/mozcrt19.dll', needed by `libs'." cause by |--enable-jemalloc|
Windows 2000: Visual C++ 2005sp1 (Express Ed.) + Platform SDK 2003r2 Current mozilla-central [ ac_add_options --disable-vista-sdk-requirements mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/../../objdir-Firefox ac_add_options --enable-application=browser ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc ] Without the latter option, build completes and runs fine. Would you have any hint on what could cause/solve this error ? Thanks. On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Serge Gautherie <sgautherie.bz@free.fr> wrote: > > Windows 2000: Visual C++ 2005sp1 (Express Ed.) + Platform SDK 2003r2...

'make test_prep' and 'make test_harness'
From past experience I know that once you have compiled the perl executable with 'make', you are not quite ready to start running tests. You have to call 'make test_prep', whether implicitly -- as when you call 'make test' -- or explicitly because you want to run individual tests. On a slower machine, 'make test_prep' can take a couple of minutes to run. Among other things, it has to do a 'make' on all the modules which are part of core: $ make test_prep ../miniperl -Ilib make_ext.pl cpan/Archive-Extract/pm_to_blib MAKE=make LIBPER...

No rule to make target `nspr4.pdb', needed by `export'
Window with MS compiler, trunk checkout. I deleted my obj-* directory changed my .mozconfig to read: mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser ac_add_options --enable-application=browser ac_add_options --disable-optimize ac_add_options --disable-debug mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/obj-@CONFIG_GUESS@ then issued make -f client.mk build The build failed with No rule to make target `nspr4.pdb', needed by `export' Hints? Thanks, John. John J Barton schrieb: > Window with MS compiler, trunk checkout. > > I deleted my obj-* directory changed my .mo...

No rule to make target `-lpthread', needed by `libmozjs.so'. Stop.
I've been building Seamonkey for several years. I use the hg clone, etc. etc. for getting the source code and compiling. Since switching to Slackware 64 bit I have been unable to compile. In another thread I asked if there were a 64 bit How-To and was advised that the same build instructions should work for either arch. Again, since upgrading this has not been possible. The build quits with: No rule to make target `-lpthread', needed by `libmozjs.so'. Stop. ..mozconfig: mk_add_options AUTOCONF=autoconf-2.13 mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=suite mk_add_option...

For some reason though it appears that one of my class files (_common.cs - in the App_Code directory) is being included in the WAP .dll file as well as when it compiles the App_Code at runtime.error CS0433: The type 'inlinehockey._common' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\25321638\9b5c4b00\assembly\dl3\3657f4e6\cd91aef5_4d5cc601\inlinehockey.DLL' and 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\25321638\9b5c4b00\App_Code.xad_ajc1.dll'  The error was not knowing what dll to use for the type w...

DetailsView Converts '<' & '>' to '&lt;' & '&gt;'

comm-central: No rule to make target `../shared/x11/libwidget_shared_x11.a', needed by `libxpwidgets_s.a'.
(Sorry to post a couple of articles in succession. But I need to compile successfully in order to produce a tidied up working patch for a different problem.) comm-central No rule to make target `../shared/x11/libwidget_shared_x11.a', needed by `libxpwidgets_s.a'. Stop. Building TB3 using comm-central, I encountered the following problem today. (The error occurs in ./mozilla subdirectory.) make[7]: Entering directory `/home/ishikawa/TB-3HG/objdir-tb3/mozilla/widget/src/xpwidgets' make[7]: *** No rule to make target `../shared/x11/libwidget_shared_x11.a', needed...

Give access to non virtual folder through configuration entry? ERROR: <location> path attribute must be a relative virtual path. It cannot contain any of '?' ':' '\' '*' '"' '<' '>' or '|'.
I have a webpage running under a virtual directory that is mapped to d:/webapplication that produces an excel spreadsheet, the page calls a library object that generates a report and places it in a folder d:/attachments. This folder is not in the virtual directory. When I access the webpage i click a button and it attemps to return the created spreadsheet as a mim content type application/vnd.ms-excel. However i getting redirected back to the login page of the application. Ive also noticed that the excel spreadsheet has not even been created at this location. So assuming this...

Why different results with 'make smoke' from 'make test'
From 'make test': t/dynpmc/foo.................................ok 1/9 skipped: various reasons t/dynpmc/gdbmhash............................ok t/dynpmc/rational............................ok 1/8 skipped: various reasons .... and these have been the results for these tests for months. Same box (ppc-darwin, Mac 0S X 10.4.11), 'make smoke' (possibly a few revisions later): - t/dynpmc/foo.t # Failed test (t/dynpmc/foo.t at line 57) # Exited with error code: 1 # Received: # Class 'Foo' not found # current instr.: 'main&...

'make --jobs all', 'make --jobs test', and concurrency
makemaker: I have a computer with a multi-core processor, Debian 7, and Perl 5.14.2. 'make --jobs all' seems to run concurrently, but 'make --jobs test' seems to be single-threaded. Is there a way to run tests concurrently? TIA, David Hi David, On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 22:15:14 -0800 David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote: > makemaker: >=20 > I have a computer with a multi-core processor, Debian 7, and Perl=20 > 5.14.2. 'make --jobs all' seems to run concurrently, but 'make --jobs=20 > test' seems to ...

build error, "No rule to make target `_xpidlgen/nsIMicrosummaryService.h', needed by `export'"
hi, I use Ubuntu 8.04. when i build firefox-3.0.5(i have also tried firefox-3.0.3 and firefox-3.0.4), and i get some error message: " Creating .deps Creating ../../../../dist/include/microsummaries make[7]: *** No rule to make target `_xpidlgen/nsIMicrosummaryService.h', needed by `export'. Stop. make[7]: Leaving directory `/home/wangpeng/firefox/build-firefox1/firefox-3.0-3.0.3+build1+nobinonly/b= uild-tree/mozilla/browser/components/microsummaries/public' " Now,what should i do to fix this error? Thanks! --=20 =D2=D4=C9=CF=A1=A3 =CD=F5=C5=F4 ---...

'make' problems with 'encoding' POD command
For a context, my most recent CPAN upload is http://search.cpan.org/~duncand/Locale-KeyedText-1.01_1/ and its POD sections start out with the "=encoding utf8" command paragraph. I tested this distro and it passes its test suite fine, both under Perl 5.8.1RC3 and Perl 5.8.6. However, under both the 'make' stage gives the following error when manifying the POD: Manifying blib/man3/Locale::KeyedText.3 lib/Locale/KeyedText.pm:10: Unknown command paragraph "=encoding utf8" Now, the line that is being flagged is identical to both the online perlpod do...

'<name>' is not a member of '<classname>'
I am posting this question as I am unsure how to proceed. I recently migrated a web project from .net 2003 to 2005. I have been able to work out most of the issues, but, unfortunaltely I am left with a few I do not understand. The error shows Error 17 'ddlQualSource' is not a member of 'CwMerge.ucFileUpload'. When I look for the object which is DropDownList it exists on a web form. The only 2 references to this object is in the HTML and the code below showing when it is loading with data. What I need to do is use the users selection later on in the project on a different web f...

Web resources about - make: *** No rule to make target `<command-line>', needed by `miniperlmain.o'. - perl.perl5.porters