Japanese politics and Perl

The Japanese calendar uses an era name based on the accession time of 
the current emperor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_era_name

The current emperor is planning to abdicate next month.  That means that 
a new era name will be devised.  Unicode is planning a special release, 
12.1, to cope with this.

http://unicode.org/versions/Unicode12.1.0/

This release adds a single character and associated properties.

The reason Perl is affected is because the timing of this might 
otherwise prevent us from shipping 12.1 in Perl 5.30.

My claim is that the risk of adding this are so slight that we should 
include it.  The dates are uncertain, but I saw something that indicated 
early April.  But I can't find that now.  Instead, I see May 7 as the 
12.1 release date.

I'm writing this now so that we can come to a determination of what Perl 
will do.
0
public
3/7/2019 4:30:53 PM
perl.perl5.porters 47619 articles. 1 followers. Follow

5 Replies
39 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 47

> The reason Perl is affected is because the timing of this might
> otherwise prevent us from shipping 12.1 in Perl 5.30.

Do we need to ship 12.1 in 5.30.0? Can it not be included in 5.30.1,
which normally happens a month or two after the .0 release?
0
perl
3/8/2019 3:25:29 AM
On 3/7/19 8:25 PM, Karen Etheridge wrote:
>> The reason Perl is affected is because the timing of this might
>> otherwise prevent us from shipping 12.1 in Perl 5.30.
> 
> Do we need to ship 12.1 in 5.30.0? Can it not be included in 5.30.1,
> which normally happens a month or two after the .0 release?
> 

I don't believe that this fits in our list of things that can be in a 
dot release.

Unicode has now issued a draft 12.1, but it won't be finalized until May 
7.  But the odds of a change are tiny.  It is smoking at 
https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/shortlog/refs/heads/smoke-me/khw-12.1
0
public
4/3/2019 11:28:45 PM
On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 2:29 AM Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
>
> On 3/7/19 8:25 PM, Karen Etheridge wrote:
> >> The reason Perl is affected is because the timing of this might
> >> otherwise prevent us from shipping 12.1 in Perl 5.30.
> >
> > Do we need to ship 12.1 in 5.30.0? Can it not be included in 5.30.1,
> > which normally happens a month or two after the .0 release?
> >
>
> I don't believe that this fits in our list of things that can be in a
> dot release.


Our assurance is that - excluding security-specific things - dot
releases will only include stability fixes. Nothing new, so you could
upgrade without worrying.

If anything, this should be a delay for the main release by another
month. I don't see it as impossible.

>
>
> Unicode has now issued a draft 12.1, but it won't be finalized until May
> 7.  But the odds of a change are tiny.  It is smoking at
> https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/shortlog/refs/heads/smoke-me/khw-12.1


If May 7th is the 12.1 release, we could release another dev release
on May 20th and in June release stable.It would have to be a one-off
and will require us to maintain a tight schedule to keep 5.32 to May,
but that's far from impossible.
0
xsawyerx
4/6/2019 8:49:42 AM
On 4/6/19 2:49 AM, Sawyer X wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 2:29 AM Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/7/19 8:25 PM, Karen Etheridge wrote:
>>>> The reason Perl is affected is because the timing of this might
>>>> otherwise prevent us from shipping 12.1 in Perl 5.30.
>>>
>>> Do we need to ship 12.1 in 5.30.0? Can it not be included in 5.30.1,
>>> which normally happens a month or two after the .0 release?
>>>
>>
>> I don't believe that this fits in our list of things that can be in a
>> dot release.
> 
> 
> Our assurance is that - excluding security-specific things - dot
> releases will only include stability fixes. Nothing new, so you could
> upgrade without worrying.
> 
> If anything, this should be a delay for the main release by another
> month. I don't see it as impossible.
> 
>>
>>
>> Unicode has now issued a draft 12.1, but it won't be finalized until May
>> 7.  But the odds of a change are tiny.  It is smoking at
>> https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/shortlog/refs/heads/smoke-me/khw-12.1
> 
> 
> If May 7th is the 12.1 release, we could release another dev release
> on May 20th and in June release stable.It would have to be a one-off
> and will require us to maintain a tight schedule to keep 5.32 to May,
> but that's far from impossible.
> 

It sounds like I should merge the 12.1 draft.  It would then go into the 
April 20th dev release.  If there aren't any real changes before May 
7th, just the formalization of the draft, it would not affect our 
release date.
0
public
4/6/2019 3:50:42 PM
On 4/6/19 6:50 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:
> On 4/6/19 2:49 AM, Sawyer X wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 2:29 AM Karl Williamson
>> <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 3/7/19 8:25 PM, Karen Etheridge wrote:
>>>>> The reason Perl is affected is because the timing of this might
>>>>> otherwise prevent us from shipping 12.1 in Perl 5.30.
>>>>
>>>> Do we need to ship 12.1 in 5.30.0? Can it not be included in 5.30.1,
>>>> which normally happens a month or two after the .0 release?
>>>>
>>>
>>> I don't believe that this fits in our list of things that can be in a
>>> dot release.
>>
>>
>> Our assurance is that - excluding security-specific things - dot
>> releases will only include stability fixes. Nothing new, so you could
>> upgrade without worrying.
>>
>> If anything, this should be a delay for the main release by another
>> month. I don't see it as impossible.
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Unicode has now issued a draft 12.1, but it won't be finalized until
>>> May
>>> 7.  But the odds of a change are tiny.  It is smoking at
>>> https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/shortlog/refs/heads/smoke-me/khw-12.1
>>>
>>
>>
>> If May 7th is the 12.1 release, we could release another dev release
>> on May 20th and in June release stable.It would have to be a one-off
>> and will require us to maintain a tight schedule to keep 5.32 to May,
>> but that's far from impossible.
>>
>
> It sounds like I should merge the 12.1 draft.  It would then go into
> the April 20th dev release.  If there aren't any real changes before
> May 7th, just the formalization of the draft, it would not affect our
> release date.


Sounds good to me.


Thank you, Karl.
0
xsawyerx
4/7/2019 5:31:29 AM
Reply: