DAVEM TPF Grant#2 october / November 2019 report

(This report covers 2 months)

I eliminated new compiler warnings around perl's OS-level signal handler
functions by heavily reworking the mechanisms for declaring those
functions and their types and whether they accept 1 or 3 args.

I also did some investigation into why a multiply op becomes slower at
floating-point arithmetic once it's ever returned an integer value.
I hope to  fix this soon.  See https://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=11109404

Finally, I tweaked some of Memoize's test script which were
time-sensitive and caused occasional smoke failures.

SUMMARY:
     25:36 fix 3 arg signal handler
      4:31 fix smoke failures
      3:00 investigate unnecessary upgrade to SVt_PVNV
      5:13 reduce smoke noise
    ------
     38:20 TOTAL (HH::MM)

 319.9 weeks
3443.8 total hours
  10.8 average hours per week

There are 122 hours left on the grant

--
In economics, the exam questions are the same every year.
They just change the answers.

--Sig_/zwNCsFZ_IUMbITt5VLk1rju

Thanks Dave, +1!

On 2019-12-02, at 14:32:30 +0000, Dave Mitchell wrote:

> (This report covers 2 months)
>=20
> I eliminated new compiler warnings around perl's OS-level signal handler
> functions by heavily reworking the mechanisms for declaring those
> functions and their types and whether they accept 1 or 3 args.
>=20
> I also did some investigation into why a multiply op becomes slower at
> floating-point arithmetic once it's ever returned an integer value.=20
> I hope to  fix this soon.  See https://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=3D11109=
404
>=20
> Finally, I tweaked some of Memoize's test script which were
> time-sensitive and caused occasional smoke failures.
>=20
>=20
> SUMMARY:
>      25:36 fix 3 arg signal handler
>       4:31 fix smoke failures
>       3:00 investigate unnecessary upgrade to SVt_PVNV
>       5:13 reduce smoke noise =20
>     ------
>      38:20 TOTAL (HH::MM) =20
>=20
>  319.9 weeks
> 3443.8 total hours
>   10.8 average hours per week
>=20
> There are 122 hours left on the grant
>=20
> --=20
> In economics, the exam questions are the same every year.
> They just change the answers.

--Sig_/zwNCsFZ_IUMbITt5VLk1rju

--Sig_/zwNCsFZ_IUMbITt5VLk1rju--
0
mhx
12/3/2019 12:54:20 PM
Scouring the inbox, I see I have not replied it.

+1 from me.

On 12/2/19 4:32 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> (This report covers 2 months)
>
> I eliminated new compiler warnings around perl's OS-level signal handler
> functions by heavily reworking the mechanisms for declaring those
> functions and their types and whether they accept 1 or 3 args.
>
> I also did some investigation into why a multiply op becomes slower at
> floating-point arithmetic once it's ever returned an integer value.
> I hope to  fix this soon.  See https://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=11109404
>
> Finally, I tweaked some of Memoize's test script which were
> time-sensitive and caused occasional smoke failures.
>

> SUMMARY:
>      25:36 fix 3 arg signal handler
>       4:31 fix smoke failures
>       3:00 investigate unnecessary upgrade to SVt_PVNV
>       5:13 reduce smoke noise
>     ------
>      38:20 TOTAL (HH::MM)
>
>  319.9 weeks