DAVEM TPF Grant#2 Dec 2018, Jan, Feb 2019 report

This "monthly" report covers 3 months, as I've been failing to do much
work on perl for a while. Hopefully things will improve now.

The main thing I have been doing over this time is fixing issues related
to smoke reports. In particular the PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT build option had
bit-rotted. It now builds and tests ok. I've also been looking at some
Address Sanitizer failures related to memory leaks.

SUMMARY:
      8:34 RT #133789 Memory leak in concatenation operator overload
      2:00 diagnose cpan/JSON-PP/t/011_pc_expo.t failing test
      0:38 fix compiler warnings
      5:00 fix ext/GDBM_File/t/fatal.t
     18:42 get perl building again under -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE
      6:27 look at failures under Asan
    ------
     41:21 TOTAL (HH::MM)

 280.6 weeks
3203.1 total hours
  11.4 average hours per week

There are 263 hours left on the grant

--
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step...
then continues for another 1,999,999 or so.

On 3/4/19 10:46 AM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> This "monthly" report covers 3 months, as I've been failing to do much
> work on perl for a while. Hopefully things will improve now.

[Threatening tone] They better.

:)

> The main thing I have been doing over this time is fixing issues related
> to smoke reports. In particular the PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT build option had
> bit-rotted. It now builds and tests ok.

Do you see any other bit-rotted issues that we should consider reviewing
in the near future?

> I've also been looking at some
> Address Sanitizer failures related to memory leaks.
>
> SUMMARY:
>       8:34 RT #133789 Memory leak in concatenation operator overload
>       2:00 diagnose cpan/JSON-PP/t/011_pc_expo.t failing test
>       0:38 fix compiler warnings
>       5:00 fix ext/GDBM_File/t/fatal.t
>      18:42 get perl building again under -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE
>       6:27 look at failures under Asan
>     ------
>      41:21 TOTAL (HH::MM)
>
>  280.6 weeks
> 3203.1 total hours
>   11.4 average hours per week
>
> There are 263 hours left on the grant

+1 from me on this.

Thank you.
0
xsawyerx
3/4/2019 9:04:27 AM
On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 11:04:27AM +0200, Sawyer X wrote:

> On 3/4/19 10:46 AM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> > The main thing I have been doing over this time is fixing issues related
> > to smoke reports. In particular the PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT build option had
> > bit-rotted. It now builds and tests ok.
>

> Do you see any other bit-rotted issues that we should consider reviewing
> in the near future?

The main thing I'm aware of is that our smokes are in very poor shap
with lots of failures, which is why I'm concentrating on them for now.

--
The optimist believes that he lives in the best of all possible worlds.
As does the pessimist.

+1 from me as well, thanks Dave!

On 2019-03-04, at 11:04:27 +0200, Sawyer X wrote:

> On 3/4/19 10:46 AM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> > This "monthly" report covers 3 months, as I've been failing to do much
> > work on perl for a while. Hopefully things will improve now. =20
>=20
>=20
> [Threatening tone] They better.
>=20
>=20
> :) =20
>=20
>=20
> > The main thing I have been doing over this time is fixing issues related
> > to smoke reports. In particular the PERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT build option had
> > bit-rotted. It now builds and tests ok. =20
>=20
>=20
> Do you see any other bit-rotted issues that we should consider reviewing
> in the near future?
>=20
>=20
> > I've also been looking at some
> > Address Sanitizer failures related to memory leaks.
> > =20
> > SUMMARY:
> >       8:34 RT #133789 Memory leak in concatenation operator overload
> >       2:00 diagnose cpan/JSON-PP/t/011_pc_expo.t failing test
> >       0:38 fix compiler warnings
> >       5:00 fix ext/GDBM_File/t/fatal.t
> >      18:42 get perl building again under -DPERL_GLOBAL_STRUCT_PRIVATE
> >       6:27 look at failures under Asan =20
> >     ------ =20
> >      41:21 TOTAL (HH::MM) =20
> >
> >  280.6 weeks
> > 3203.1 total hours
> >   11.4 average hours per week
> >
> > There are 263 hours left on the grant =20
>=20
>=20
> +1 from me on this.
>=20