constant.pm POD: Latin-1 or UTF-8?

I noticed a Latin-1 wide character near the bottom of constant.pm=E2=80=99=
s POD. Is this intended, or should that be UTF-8?

More broadly, should core modules=E2=80=99 POD be in UTF-8 or Latin-1?

-F=
0
felipe

Felipe Gasper <felipe@felipegasper.com> writes:

> I noticed a Latin-1 wide character near the bottom of constant.pm’s
> POD. Is this intended, or should that be UTF-8?

Which version are you looking at? The current blead version uses an
E<eacute> escape, which should render according to your locale.

> More broadly, should core modules’ POD be in UTF-8 or Latin-1?

Everything sould be UTF-8 unless there's some technical reason not to
(e.g. it needs to be processed by a tool that doesn't understand UTF-8,
or is test data for other encodings).

- ilmari
--
"The surreality of the universe tends towards a maximum" -- Skud's Law
"Never formulate a law or axiom that you're not prepared to live with
> On Jul 31, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Dagfinn Ilmari Manns=C3=A5ker =
<ilmari@ilmari.org> wrote:
>=20
> Felipe Gasper <felipe@felipegasper.com> writes:
>=20
>> I noticed a Latin-1 wide character near the bottom of constant.pm=E2=80=
=99s
>> POD. Is this intended, or should that be UTF-8?
>=20
> Which version are you looking at? The current blead version uses an
> E<eacute> escape, which should render according to your locale.

Ah, you=E2=80=99re right. So it=E2=80=99s some misconfiguration on my =
end =E2=80=A6 though I=E2=80=99m not sure why it=E2=80=99d render in =
Latin-1 since I have LANG=3Den_US.UTF-8 in my env.

-F=
0
felipe