Replacing "use base" with "use parent"

--bcaec554da9c7514d304ca32ffa3

From the base.pm documentation<http://perldoc.perl.org/base.html#DESCRIPTIO=
N>:

Unless you are using the fields pragma, consider this module discouraged in
favor of the lighter-weight parent .

From the parent.pm documentation<http://perldoc.perl.org/parent.html#HISTOR=

:

This module was forked from base to remove the cruft that had accumulated
in it.

parent.pm is a 30 lines pure Perl dual module available also in core since
5.10.1.

So I've done the work to replace all "use base" with either "use parent" or
"use parent -norequire =3D> ". Most changes are in lib/Class/ and t/.
The code is here:
https://github.com/dolmen/p5-Moose/commits/topic/base-to-parent
(branch topic/base-to-parent at git://github.com/dolmen/p5-Moose.git)

I've yet not touched the 'benchmark' directory to avoid breaking reference
values. Tell me if I should go further...

Olivier Mengu=E9 (DOLMEN).

--bcaec554da9c7514d304ca32ffa3--
perl.moose 736 articles. 0 followers. Follow

--e0cb4efe2c24934c8404cba27fa1

I'm Warnocked about my Moose patch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnock%27s_dilemma

2012/9/21 Olivier Mengu=E9 <olivier.mengue@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> From the base.pm documentation<http://perldoc.perl.org/base.html#DESCRIPT=
ION>:
>

> Unless you are using the fields pragma, consider this module discouraged
> in favor of the lighter-weight parent .
>
> From the parent.pm documentation<http://perldoc.perl.org/parent.html#HIST=
ORY>
> :
>
> This module was forked from base to remove the cruft that had accumulated
> in it.
>
> parent.pm is a 30 lines pure Perl dual module available also in core
> since 5.10.1.
>

> So I've done the work to replace all "use base" with either "use parent"
> or "use parent -norequire =3D> ". Most changes are in lib/Class/ and t/.
> The code is here:
> https://github.com/dolmen/p5-Moose/commits/topic/base-to-parent
> (branch topic/base-to-parent at git://github.com/dolmen/p5-Moose.git)
>
> I've yet not touched the 'benchmark' directory to avoid breaking referenc=
> values. Tell me if I should go further...
>
> Olivier Mengu=E9 (DOLMEN).

--e0cb4efe2c24934c8404cba27fa1--
0
olivier
10/9/2012 4:04:32 PM
On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 06:04:32PM +0200, Olivier Mengu� wrote:
> I'm Warnocked about my Moose patch.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnock%27s_dilemma
>
> 2012/9/21 Olivier Mengu� <olivier.mengue@gmail.com>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > From the base.pm documentation<http://perldoc.perl.org/base.html#DESCRIPTION>:
> >

> > Unless you are using the fields pragma, consider this module discouraged
> > in favor of the lighter-weight parent .
> >
> > From the parent.pm documentation<http://perldoc.perl.org/parent.html#HISTORY>
> > :
> >
> > This module was forked from base to remove the cruft that had accumulated
> > in it.
> >
> > parent.pm is a 30 lines pure Perl dual module available also in core
> > since 5.10.1.
> >

> > So I've done the work to replace all "use base" with either "use parent"
> > or "use parent -norequire => ". Most changes are in lib/Class/ and t/.
> > The code is here:
> > https://github.com/dolmen/p5-Moose/commits/topic/base-to-parent
> > (branch topic/base-to-parent at git://github.com/dolmen/p5-Moose.git)
> >
> > I've yet not touched the 'benchmark' directory to avoid breaking reference
> > values. Tell me if I should go further...

I'm not sure I see the benefit here, at least as long as we're still
supporting 5.8. Is there a particular reason you're interested in this
change?

-doy
0
doy

IPTION>:

>> > Unless you are using the fields pragma, consider this module discourag=
ed
>> > in favor of the lighter-weight parent .
>> >
>> > From the parent.pm documentation<http://perldoc.perl.org/parent.html#H=
ISTORY>
>> > :
>> >
>> > This module was forked from base to remove the cruft that had accumula=
ted
>> > in it.
>> >
>> > parent.pm is a 30 lines pure Perl dual module available also in core
>> > since 5.10.1.
>> >

>> > So I've done the work to replace all "use base" with either "use paren=
t"
>> > or "use parent -norequire =3D> ". Most changes are in lib/Class/ and t=
/.
>> > The code is here:
>> > https://github.com/dolmen/p5-Moose/commits/topic/base-to-parent
>> > (branch topic/base-to-parent at git://github.com/dolmen/p5-Moose.git)
>> >
>> > I've yet not touched the 'benchmark' directory to avoid breaking refer=
ence
>> > values. Tell me if I should go further...
>
> I'm not sure I see the benefit here, at least as long as we're still
> supporting 5.8. Is there a particular reason you're interested in this
> change?

Technically we dropped official support a year ago.  However we also
stated we wouldn't go out of our way to break 5.8 compat without a
good reason. (I wrote a blog post about it at the time
http://chris.prather.org/future-moose-support.md.html)

So yeah we'd really need some justification for bumping the minimum
version of Moose from 5.8.3 to 5.10.1 because we have known users who
are still on 5.8.x and it would be a shame to cause them pain for a
change that (seemingly) doesn't provide anything beyond what we
currently have.

-Chris
0
chris
10/9/2012 4:12:33 PM
On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 12:12:33PM -0400, Chris Prather wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Jesse Luehrs <doy@tozt.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 06:04:32PM +0200, Olivier Mengu� wrote:
> >> I'm Warnocked about my Moose patch.
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnock%27s_dilemma

> > I'm not sure I see the benefit here, at least as long as we're still
> > supporting 5.8. Is there a particular reason you're interested in this
> > change?
>
> Technically we dropped official support a year ago.  However we also
> stated we wouldn't go out of our way to break 5.8 compat without a
> good reason. (I wrote a blog post about it at the time
> http://chris.prather.org/future-moose-support.md.html)
>
> So yeah we'd really need some justification for bumping the minimum
> version of Moose from 5.8.3 to 5.10.1 because we have known users who
> are still on 5.8.x and it would be a shame to cause them pain for a
> change that (seemingly) doesn't provide anything beyond what we
> currently have.

parent is dual-life, so it wouldn't be a case of dropping support, it
would just be an extra dependency for 5.8. That said, an extra
dependency for no actual reason does seem a bit questionable (which is
why I was asking for the reasoning).

-doy
0
doy
10/9/2012 4:14:02 PM
On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:14:02AM -0500, Jesse Luehrs wrote:
> parent is dual-life, so it wouldn't be a case of dropping support, it
> would just be an extra dependency for 5.8. That said, an extra
> dependency for no actual reason does seem a bit questionable (which is
> why I was asking for the reasoning).

Have you looked at the base.pm code? It needs to die as quick a death as we
can bring it.

--
         Three out of four experts want to know who the fourth guy is.
            .             .            .            .             .
On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 01:47:52PM -0700, Karen Etheridge wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:14:02AM -0500, Jesse Luehrs wrote:
> > parent is dual-life, so it wouldn't be a case of dropping support, it
> > would just be an extra dependency for 5.8. That said, an extra
> > dependency for no actual reason does seem a bit questionable (which is
> > why I was asking for the reasoning).
>
> Have you looked at the base.pm code? It needs to die as quick a death as we
> can bring it.

If "ugly code" was a reason to avoid using a module, I would be
significantly less productive in perl d:

-doy
0
doy
10/9/2012 9:09:21 PM
--0015175d67b6b71d0c04cba6c5cb

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, Jesse Luehrs wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 01:47:52PM -0700, Karen Etheridge wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:14:02AM -0500, Jesse Luehrs wrote:
> > > parent is dual-life, so it wouldn't be a case of dropping support, it
> > > would just be an extra dependency for 5.8. That said, an extra
> > > dependency for no actual reason does seem a bit questionable (which is
> > > why I was asking for the reasoning).
> >
> > Have you looked at the base.pm code? It needs to die as quick a death
> as we
> > can bring it.
>
> If "ugly code" was a reason to avoid using a module, I would be
> significantly less productive in perl d:

Or maintaining significantly more forks of various modules and ideas.

-Chris

--0015175d67b6b71d0c04cba6c5cb--
0
chris
10/9/2012 9:10:48 PM
On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 05:10:48PM -0400, Chris Prather wrote:
> Or maintaining significantly more forks of various modules and ideas.

Nothing is being forked here.  We received a patch to move from an
old-and-discouraged module to an improved version, that is dual-lifed and
has been in core since 5.10.1. I don't see any downside to accepting it,
especially since Olivier has already graciously done all the work.

Seriously, *no one* will notice a thing by this change, except those of us
who had this on their tuit list can cross it off, and Olivier can be happy
that he's improved our codebase a little bit more.

0
perl
10/9/2012 9:46:12 PM
--e89a8f2348b3e4631004cbb3c7b1

2012/10/9 Jesse Luehrs <doy@tozt.net>

I'm not sure I see the benefit here, at least as long as we're still
> supporting 5.8.

Beside my original extract of the POD of each modules, just have a look to
base.pm code vs parent.pm.

Also parent.pm is dual-life, so 5.8 compat is not an issue, except for the
additional dependency.
And parent.pm has already more than 500 CPAN distributions directly
depending on it (according to MetaCPAN reverse dependency results), so many
CPAN users still using perl 5.8 already have it.

> Is there a particular reason you're interested in this
>  change?

I've started my quest to kill 'use base' and 'use base "Exporter"' a few
years ago and have helped to get 'parent' spread.
(I've ongoing work to fix Perl::Critic and add a Perl::Critic policy: my
first step is to get rid of base.pm in Perl::Critic itself, but this takes
time : 5 months in RT#75300)

But as long as high profile modules such as Moose still use 'base' instead
of 'parent', 'base' will never die. People think =AB if Moose uses it, it's
fine to use it in my code =BB, and 'parent' keeps being unnoticed. So keepi=
ng
'use base' in Moose helps to keep 'base' alive.

Finally, if using Moose is modern Perl, Moose should use 'parent' and show
the light to its users.

Olivier.

--e89a8f2348b3e4631004cbb3c7b1--
0
olivier
10/10/2012 12:41:39 PM
On 10/10/2012 8:41 AM, Olivier Mengu� wrote:
> Beside my original extract of the POD of each modules, just have a
> look to base.pm code vs parent.pm. Also parent.pm is dual-life, so 5.8
> compat is not an issue, except for the additional dependency. And
> parent.pm has already more than 500 CPAN distributions directly
> depending on it (according to MetaCPAN reverse dependency results), so
> many CPAN users still using perl 5.8 already have it. I've started my
> quest to kill 'use base' and 'use base "Exporter"' a few years ago and
> have helped to get 'parent' spread. (I've ongoing work to fix
> Perl::Critic and add a Perl::Critic policy: my first step is to get
> rid of base.pm in Perl::Critic itself, but this takes time : 5 months
> in RT#75300) But as long as high profile modules such as Moose still
> use 'base' instead of 'parent', 'base' will never die. People think �
> if Moose uses it, it's fine to use it in my code �, and 'parent' keeps
> being unnoticed. So keeping 'use base' in Moose helps to keep 'base'
> alive. Finally, if using Moose is modern Perl, Moose should use
> 'parent' and show the light to its users. Olivier.
FWIW, these all seem like legitimate reasons to abolish the use of
Base.pm within Moose.  Our company uses Moose and 5.8.8 perl currently,
so even though there may be a few tweaks necessary, it seems like the
right thing to do.
Steve
0
steve
10/10/2012 12:59:23 PM
On Oct 10, 2012, at 8:41 AM, Olivier Mengu=E9 wrote:
> 2012/10/9 Jesse Luehrs <doy@tozt.net>
>=20
> I'm not sure I see the benefit here, at least as long as we're still
>> supporting 5.8.
>=20
>=20
> Beside my original extract of the POD of each modules, just have a =
look to
> base.pm code vs parent.pm.
>=20
> Also parent.pm is dual-life, so 5.8 compat is not an issue, except for =
the
> additional dependency.
> And parent.pm has already more than 500 CPAN distributions directly
> depending on it (according to MetaCPAN reverse dependency results), so =
many
> CPAN users still using perl 5.8 already have it.
>=20
>=20
>> Is there a particular reason you're interested in this
>> change?
>=20
>=20
> I've started my quest to kill 'use base' and 'use base "Exporter"' a =
few
> years ago and have helped to get 'parent' spread.
> (I've ongoing work to fix Perl::Critic and add a Perl::Critic policy: =
my
> first step is to get rid of base.pm in Perl::Critic itself, but this =
takes
> time : 5 months in RT#75300)
>=20
> But as long as high profile modules such as Moose still use 'base' =
instead
> of 'parent', 'base' will never die. People think =AB if Moose uses it, =
it's
> fine to use it in my code =BB, and 'parent' keeps being unnoticed. So =
keeping
> 'use base' in Moose helps to keep 'base' alive.
>=20
> Finally, if using Moose is modern Perl, Moose should use 'parent' and =
show
> the light to its users.

I don't think this last sentence can be argued with, my vote it to merge =
it.

- Stevan=
0
stevan
10/11/2012 3:16:33 AM
--f46d04083a8b14def504cc199948

2012/10/11 Stevan Little <stevan.little@iinteractive.com>

> On Oct 10, 2012, at 8:41 AM, Olivier Mengu=E9 wrote:
> > 2012/10/9 Jesse Luehrs <doy@tozt.net>
> >
> > I'm not sure I see the benefit here, at least as long as we're still
> >> supporting 5.8.
> >

> > Beside my original extract of the POD of each modules, just have a look
> > base.pm code vs parent.pm.
> >
> > Also parent.pm is dual-life, so 5.8 compat is not an issue, except for
> the
> > additional dependency.
> > And parent.pm has already more than 500 CPAN distributions directly
> > depending on it (according to MetaCPAN reverse dependency results), so
> many
> > CPAN users still using perl 5.8 already have it.
> >

> >> Is there a particular reason you're interested in this
> >> change?
> >

> > I've started my quest to kill 'use base' and 'use base "Exporter"' a fe=
> > years ago and have helped to get 'parent' spread.
> > (I've ongoing work to fix Perl::Critic and add a Perl::Critic policy: m=
> > first step is to get rid of base.pm in Perl::Critic itself, but this
> takes
> > time : 5 months in RT#75300)
> >
> > But as long as high profile modules such as Moose still use 'base'
> instead
> > of 'parent', 'base' will never die. People think =AB if Moose uses it, =
it's
> > fine to use it in my code =BB, and 'parent' keeps being unnoticed. So
> keeping
> > 'use base' in Moose helps to keep 'base' alive.
> >
> > Finally, if using Moose is modern Perl, Moose should use 'parent' and
> show
> > the light to its users.
>

> I don't think this last sentence can be argued with, my vote it to merge
> it.
>
> - Stevan

Great!

Who else will vote?

Olivier.

--f46d04083a8b14def504cc199948--
0
olivier
10/15/2012 2:10:01 PM
Hi all,

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 16:10:01 +0200
Olivier Mengu=C3=A9 <olivier.mengue@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/10/11 Stevan Little <stevan.little@iinteractive.com>
>=20
> > On Oct 10, 2012, at 8:41 AM, Olivier Mengu=C3=A9 wrote:
> > > 2012/10/9 Jesse Luehrs <doy@tozt.net>
> > >
> > > I'm not sure I see the benefit here, at least as long as we're
> > > still
> > >

> > > Beside my original extract of the POD of each modules, just have
> > > a look
> > > base.pm code vs parent.pm.
> > >
> > > Also parent.pm is dual-life, so 5.8 compat is not an issue,
> > > except for
> > the
> > > additional dependency.
> > > And parent.pm has already more than 500 CPAN distributions
> > > directly depending on it (according to MetaCPAN reverse
> > > dependency results), so
> > many
> > > CPAN users still using perl 5.8 already have it.

> > > I've started my quest to kill 'use base' and 'use base
> > > "Exporter"' a few years ago and have helped to get 'parent'
> > > spread. (I've ongoing work to fix Perl::Critic and add a
> > > Perl::Critic policy: my first step is to get rid of base.pm in
> > > Perl::Critic itself, but this
> > takes
> > > time : 5 months in RT#75300)
> > >
> > > But as long as high profile modules such as Moose still use 'base'
> > instead
> > > of 'parent', 'base' will never die. People think =C2=AB if Moose uses
> > > it, it's fine to use it in my code =C2=BB, and 'parent' keeps being
> > > unnoticed. So
> > keeping
> > > 'use base' in Moose helps to keep 'base' alive.
> > >
> > > Finally, if using Moose is modern Perl, Moose should use 'parent'
> > > and
> > show
> > > the light to its users.
> >

> > I don't think this last sentence can be argued with, my vote it to
> > merge it.
> >
> > - Stevan
>=20
>=20
> Great!
>=20
> Who else will vote?
>=20

I vote to convert from "use base" to "use parent" as well (but note that my=
 vote
does not count a lot, because I contributed relatively little to Moose).

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

--=20
shlomif
10/15/2012 2:24:15 PM
--047d7b45070e8adf4f04d4116001

2012/9/21 Olivier Mengu=E9 <olivier.mengue@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> From the base.pm documentation<http://perldoc.perl.org/base.html#DESCRIPT=
ION>:
>

> Unless you are using the fields pragma, consider this module discouraged
> in favor of the lighter-weight parent .
>
> From the parent.pm documentation<http://perldoc.perl.org/parent.html#HIST=
ORY>
> :
>
> This module was forked from base to remove the cruft that had accumulated
> in it.
>
> parent.pm is a 30 lines pure Perl dual module available also in core
> since 5.10.1.
>

> So I've done the work to replace all "use base" with either "use parent"
> or "use parent -norequire =3D> ". Most changes are in lib/Class/ and t/.
> The code is here:
> https://github.com/dolmen/p5-Moose/commits/topic/base-to-parent
> (branch topic/base-to-parent at git://github.com/dolmen/p5-Moose.git)
>
> I've yet not touched the 'benchmark' directory to avoid breaking referenc=
> values. Tell me if I should go further...
>
> Olivier Mengu=E9 (DOLMEN).

So far only positive votes (check the list archive of this thread).

The patch still applies cleanly on master (I've just rebased it and pushed)=
..

Olivier.

--047d7b45070e8adf4f04d4116001--
0
olivier

Using "+" or "||"

"Using" or "With"

Replacing "\\" with "\"

replace the "." with a ","

RE: Using "do" versus "use" for subroutine
Edward Wijaya wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to know which of this > is better and what is the pro and cons: > > 1. A file "mysub.pl" which stored > a subroutine, and later called by > main file using: do "mysub.pl" > > or > > 2. A file "mysub.pm" and called > in main file using : use "mysub.pm" The second construct is not valid; the argument to "use" must be a bareword. It's not really possible to answer your question without knowing more details. I'm not clear about what&#...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

RFC: interactions between "use bytes", "use locale", and "use feature 'unicode_strings'
I am waiting for blead to reopen before I submit a patch for extending feature unicode_strings to matching \s, and \w. In documenting it, it occurred to me that the existing implementation is wrong, along with the existing interaction between use bytes and use locale. To refresh your memory, "use feature 'unicode_strings'" is supposed to mean that even non-utf8 data is to be considered to have Unicode semantics. In practice, this only affects the characters from 128-255. It is new in 5.12, and is implemented there only on functions that change case, such a...

how to use "Match" the special char "\" as using filter
Thx JJ \\ "JJ" <jasonyklau@sinaman.com> wrote in message news:404bd593$1@forums-2-dub... > Thx > JJ > > ...

What are "ClassifiedsView_Ads" and "PhotosView" used for ??
This two items are stored in the DB "Views" folder,  i have a bit of knowledge about relational database, tables, keys/foreignKeys, etc. But i don't understand for what this two views are used for.  Thanks in advance for any help you might give me.There are 10 types of people in this world:Those who understand binary and those who don't. I think i solved my own problem,  The  "ClassifiedsView_Ads" view seems to be used on the stored procedures:(ClassifiedsView_Ads ; GetAllAdsByQuery; GetAdsByStatus , GetAdsByRandomOrder)  ...

Syntax of "use"/"require"
(This thread is referencing http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=3D461105) I'd like to start writing the Module::Build/ExtUtils::MakeMaker for Pugs. One of the first things that was mentioned was that the syntax for use needs to support specifying the exact version or range of versions you want to have. There has also been mention of the fact that module installation needs to tag the author, as well as other features. Would someone please mind listing all the functionality desired for module installation as seen from "use"? Thanks, Rob On 5/28/05, Rob Kinyon <ro...

use of "?" operator instead of "if"
Hi: I have this statement which checks for existence of the $VAL variable and performs certain actions if($VAL){ $VAL = "$VAL:$expr"; } else { $VAL = "$expr"; } Can this 4 line statement be reduced to a single line using "?" operator? Thanks Ravi __________________________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Tax Center - File online, calculators, forms, and more http://platinum.yahoo.com It's called the ternary operator, and works like this: $VAL ? $VAL = "$VAL:$expr" : $VAL = "$expr"; IF_EXPR ? T...

quotes, quotes, quotes...

How to use "Page base Type" and "User Control base Type"
Who can give me a sample about "How to use 'Page base Type' and 'User Control base Type' "?thanks!...

Web resources about - Replacing "use base" with "use parent" - perl.moose