Fwd: wxPerl on the Mac; was: [wxperl-users] Re: problems with wxPerl

>To: Jouke Visser <jouke@pvoice.org>, wxperl-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>From: Christian Jaeger <christian.jaeger@sl.ethz.ch>
>Subject: wxPerl on the Mac; was: [wxperl-users] Re: problems with wxPerl
>Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 23:08:19 +0100
>
>Hello,
>
>I'm crossposting this reply to the macosx-perl mailing list because
>there is some interest, too.

Actually I forgot to put the macosx-perl adress on it.

> [...]
>Barbon replied to me (for some reason he didn't send a copy to the
>list) that it should not be too hard to port it to MacOSX but that
>it will take some work, and he hasn't a Mac so only can help with
>advice (he didn't say something about MacOS8/9, but I think this
>would be a bit harder because MacPerl is quite different from Unix
>perl, and the latest stable MacPerl version is also 5.004!, so maybe
>that could be a problem).
>
>We need to write a Gui for the Macs, but haven't decided yet whether
>to use Perl+wxPerl or Perl+Carbon or C++ (maybe Metrowerks
>Powerplant). If we decide (within the next week or two) to use
>wxPerl, we'll be glad to work together in some form. I've already
>got an offer for some help from someone on the macosx-perl-list.
>

>I think the following has to be worked out:
>(at least for me, maybe others have more experience i.e. with Perl on MacOSX)
>
>MacOSX:
>- get wxWindows to install and work.
>    Mattia writes:
>      wxWindows on MacOS X is still not as stable as the Windows/GTK
>      ports, though it is progressing steadily, and the developers are
>      generally very responsive WRT bugreports; on MacOS 9 it should
>      be pretty stable though
>    Also quoting Mattia, we should use the the wxWindows' developement
>      branch ( 2.3.1 ), or the CVS head.
>    (The guys maintaining the MacOSX version of wxWindows seem to be from
>     switzerland, that may be some benefit for me.)
>- find out how to compile perl modules on MacOSX (GCC, Development
>tools CD?, ...)
>- try to compile wxperl - find out why it doesn't - figure out how
>wxWindows works and which bindings wxPerl provides, so how to solve
>some platform specific quirks (hopefully not?). Maybe talk with the
>wxWindows-MacOSX guys if necessary.
>
>MacOS8/9:
>- get wxWindows installed
>- get CodeWarrior (I have an old (~2y) version that's probably outdated)
>- find out how to write interfaces for MacPerl. AFAIK, this works
>somewhat differently than the usual xs approach (Chris Nandor aka
>Pudge has written some MacPerl modules, I'm sure looking at his
>materials will help. I've also seen him in #macperl on irc.)
>- do the necessary stuff to get wxPerl compiled.
>- maybe find out why it doesn't - same thing as above.
>(- find out how well MacPerl works as a background application.->
>for our purpose)
>
>(I mainly have experience with Perl on Linux, and some C and C++
>background. I used MacPerl before I converted to linux some years
>ago. I haven't used MacOSX much yet.)
>We (my project partners and I) primarily need the MacOSX version, so
>wxPerl-MacOS8/9 doesn't have a high priority for us. We would need
>the MacOSX version at the latest by the end of october (november
>24th our app has to be ready).
>
>Jouke, have you got any reply from the MacPerl guys? Would you be

PS. Jouke replied that he is very interested but does have no Mac nor
C experience.

I really hope I can get some more people to work on it, either the
programmers I'd like to hire here in switzerland (for some unknown
reason I can't get in touch with them currently), or someone over the
net, I just don't have enough time to do it all myself for the moment.

Christian.
0
christian
10/3/2001 3:37:43 AM
perl.macosx 2309 articles. 0 followers. Follow

christian.jaeger@sl.ethz.ch (Christian Jaeger) writes:

> I really hope I can get some more people to work on it, either the
> programmers I'd like to hire here in switzerland (for some unknown
> reason I can't get in touch with them currently), or someone over the
> net, I just don't have enough time to do it all myself for the moment.

If you are willing to pay for it, you could try posting a job (for
making vxWindows work on Mac OS X) on http://jobs.perl.org/  ... :)

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen, http://ask.netcetera.dk/   !try; do();
0

Web resources about - Fwd: wxPerl on the Mac; was: [wxperl-users] Re: problems with wxPerl - perl.macosx

O'Reilly Open Source Convention 2007 • July 23-27, 2007 • Portland, Oregon
O'Reilly Open Source Convention 2007 - July 23-27, 2007 - Portland, Oregon