Concurrent perl 5.6.0, 5.6.1, 5.8.0, and 5.8.0threaded

Hi,

So, I'd like to have multiple versions of perl installed on my system,
for testing stuff, poking around, etc.  It's not really that difficult,
actually - you just arrange that they have different @INC directories
(or that they overlap in the ways you want them to), and you make
/usr/bin/perl point as a symlink to whichever version you want to use
regularly (probably 5.6.1).

Here's what I think I'd have, creating a few fink packages to manage
things for me:

* /usr/bin/perl5.6.0 - Apple's perl, unmodified, @INC is:
     /System/Library/Perl/darwin
     /System/Library/Perl
     /Library/Perl/darwin
     /Library/Perl

* /sw/bin/perl5.6.1 - fink-installed 'perl5.6' package, @INC is:
     /sw/lib/perl5/5.6.1/darwin
     /sw/lib/perl5/5.6.1
     /sw/lib/perl5/5.6.1/site_perl/darwin
     /sw/lib/perl5/5.6.1/site_perl
     /Library/Perl/darwin
     /Library/Perl

* /sw/bin/perl5.8.0 - fink-installed 'perl5.8' package, @INC is:
     /sw/lib/perl5/5.8.0/darwin
     /sw/lib/perl5/5.8.0
     /sw/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/darwin
     /sw/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
     /sw/lib/perl5/site_perl/darwin
     /sw/lib/perl5/site_perl

* /sw/bin/perl5.8.0threaded - fink-installed 'perl5.8threaded' package
   with -Dusethreads, @INC is:
     /sw/lib/perl5/5.8.0/darwin-thread-multi
     /sw/lib/perl5/5.8.0
     /sw/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/darwin-thread-multi
     /sw/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
     /sw/lib/perl5/site_perl/darwin-thread-multi
     /sw/lib/perl5/site_perl

Does anyone have comments on the above scheme?

The tough bit is that they all want to install scripts (perldoc, h2xs,
etc.) and man pages to the same place, and in order to avoid clobberage
I'd like to keep the overlap to a minimum.  Maybe I can use fink
"splitoffs" for the two 5.8 variants, but I'm not sure what to do about
the scripts & docs for 5.6 vs. 5.8.

  -Ken

0
ken
3/14/2003 5:22:18 AM
perl.macosx 2309 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 12:22 AM, Ken Williams wrote:

> Does anyone have comments on the above scheme?

No, it's quite similar to what I have - although I rely less on Fink and
compile 5.8.0 myself, it's pretty much the same end result.

One minor addition I've made, though, is to install a copy of 5.8.0
according to Wil Sanchez' recommendations. This will presumably be
compatible with a future Apple install, assuming they also take his
advice:

* /usr/bin/perl5.8.0 - @INC is:
     /System/Library/Perl/5.8.0/darwin
     /System/Library/Perl/5.8.0
     /System/Library/Perl
     /Library/Perl/5.8.0/darwin
     /Library/Perl/5.8.0
     /Library/Perl

sherm--

C programmers never die - they're just cast into void.

0
sherm

Web resources about - Concurrent perl 5.6.0, 5.6.1, 5.8.0, and 5.8.0threaded - perl.macosx

Concurrent lines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... triangle on one of the sides of a given triangle and connecting the new vertex to the original triangle's opposite vertex, are concurrent at ...

Birst offers concurrent user pricing for BI
On-demand BI vendor Birst announced Tuesday that it is now offering the option of concurrent user pricing, a licensing model few BI providers ...

Birst offers concurrent user pricing for BI
On-demand BI vendor Birst announced Tuesday that it is now offering the option of concurrent user pricing, a licensing model few BI providers ...

GameStop "biggest beneficiary" of concurrent PS4, next Xbox launches
Analyst Michael Pachter expects the next Xbox this fall as well and sees GameStop doing very well as a result

Mother or lover: love-birds torn by concurrent festivals
Mother or lover: love-birds torn by concurrent festivals People's Daily Online 13 Small round dumplings, flavored with rose petals, have appeared ...

Skype Management Change-up, New WP7 Client, And 34 M Concurrent Users
... and messages. Microsoft acquired the VOIP company for $8.5 billion in June. And on February 24th, Skype announced 32 million people were concurrently ...

Steam reaches highest-ever concurrent user count at over 8 million
... was, counting over 8 million simultaneous live users on Sunday . That's a new peak for the service, which had crossed the 7 million concurrent ...

Concurrent adds flexible caching at the edge
In order to more easily scale video services across various devices, Concurrent has added software to its UpShift to enable flexible cache capacity ...

Fallout 4 surpasses Skyrim record for concurrent Steam users
But Bethesda's open-world epic doesn't quite manage to surpass GTA V's all-time high.

Microsoft's Xbox One to support eight concurrent controllers
The Xbox 360 supports only four controllers at the same time, indicating that the new console will be more group-gaming friendly. Read this article ...