Kenneth Webber <mp34ken@hotmail.com>

0
jeff
3/25/2010 4:57:00 PM
perl.dbi.users 11100 articles. 1 followers. Follow

They'll only use another address if you do.  There are a lot of these originating from Hotmail accounts at the moment.

-----Original Message-----
From: jeff [mailto:jeff@roqc.no]
Sent: 25 March 2010 16:57
To: dbi-users@perl.org
Subject: spammer on dbi-users

Who's ever the dbi-users group monitor, please shut this annoying person
off:

Kenneth Webber <mp34ken@hotmail.com>

..

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is privileged and confidential. Accordingly any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible.

It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction, unless specifically agreed otherwise. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any opinions or advice contained in this Internet email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable governing Marble Bar Asset Management LLP's  terms and conditions of business or client agreement letter. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of Marble Bar Asset Management LLP.

Marble Bar Asset Management LLP is regulated and authorised by the FSA.
0
Neil
3/25/2010 5:04:28 PM
I'm brand new here, feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt, igno=
re me altogether, etc.

Being brand-new, I'm not sure how big a problem this type of spamming is fo=
r you guys, but, the way we avoid it on Oracle-L, is that new subscribers a=
re immediately subscribed to the list and start receiving email, but, new s=
ubscribers posting privs are disabled.  In order to gain posting permission=
s, you're required to send a polite email, requesting it, to the Oracle-L a=
dmins (which is myself and Steve Adams, currently).  The admin has to login=
 to the website and explicitly enable posting privileges.  It's a bit of a =
hassle, but, our signal to noise ratio is extremely high, and spamming is n=
early impossible.  If someone is a troublemaker, you can temporarily, or pe=
rmanently ban them, and new subscribers can't take the hit-and-run approach=
 of subscribing an account, spamming, and then abandoning the account.

It's a bit more work for the admins, but, speaking as one of the Oracle-L a=
dmins, and Oracle-L is a pretty busy list, the workload of granting new sub=
scribers posting privileges is pretty low.  Steve is pretty inactive these =
days, and I handle pretty much all the day-to-day stuff, and I get, around =
1-4 requests for posting privileges a day.  As I'm pretty active, I usually=
 handle them as they come in, but, one could also just check the email once=
 a day, at a specific time, and run through everything there.

I'm not sure how big this list is, how frequently you get new subscribers, =
etc, nor do I have any idea how big the spam problem is here, but, I though=
t I'd mention an idea for an alternate approach.

As I said, I'm brand new here, feel free to ignore all of the above....

-Mark

[...]

Mark
3/25/2010 6:16:10 PM
Another option is to moderate the list, maybe by putting all new subscribers on
moderation by default and then taking them off after their first post, or
something.  I seem to recall that many other Perl lists are moderated, but that
it is done so well you hardly notice.  I've basically never seen a spam on a
Perl list save for this handful. -- Darren Duncan

Neil Beddoe wrote:
> They'll only use another address if you do.  There are a lot of these originating from Hotmail accounts at the moment.

darren
3/25/2010 6:21:49 PM
--000e0cd1a0aa749f1c0482a4fe64

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net>wrote:

> Another option is to moderate the list, maybe by putting all new
> subscribers on moderation by default and then taking them off after their
> first post, or something.  I seem to recall that many other Perl lists are
> moderated, but that it is done so well you hardly notice.  I've basically
> never seen a spam on a Perl list save for this handful. -- Darren Duncan

The problem with a moderated list is that it may make the moderator
responsible for the content.

Probably not what you want.  This is partially related to the reason that
Steve Adams now
"owns" the list in Australia.  There are no moderators, only administrators.

Admins generally care for technical administration.

This is probably what you had in mind judging by the context, but admins and
moderators
are different are different depending on who you ask.

If someone is a Moderator and allows or denies posts before they are sent
out to the list, then
he or she can be seen as being responsible for the content.  Not so good if
someone claims
a post is libelous.

Spammer *are* annoying.  Just hit <DELETE>

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com

--000e0cd1a0aa749f1c0482a4fe64--
0
jkstill
3/25/2010 7:24:01 PM
On Thu, March 25, 2010 12:24, Jared Still wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Darren Duncan
> <darren@darrenduncan.net>wrote:
>
>> Another option is to moderate the list, maybe by putting all new
>> subscribers on moderation by default and then taking them off after
>> their
>> first post, or something.  I seem to recall that many other Perl lists
>> are
>> moderated, but that it is done so well you hardly notice.  I've
>> basically
>> never seen a spam on a Perl list save for this handful. -- Darren Duncan
>>

> The problem with a moderated list is that it may make the moderator
> responsible for the content.
>
> Probably not what you want.  This is partially related to the reason that
> Steve Adams now
> "owns" the list in Australia.  There are no moderators, only
> administrators.
>
> Admins generally care for technical administration.
>
> This is probably what you had in mind judging by the context, but admins
> and
> moderators
> are different are different depending on who you ask.
>
> If someone is a Moderator and allows or denies posts before they are sent
> out to the list, then
> he or she can be seen as being responsible for the content.  Not so good
> if
> someone claims
> a post is libelous.
>
> Spammer *are* annoying.  Just hit <DELETE>
>

> Jared Still
> Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com
> Home Page: http://jaredstill.com

It might be more effective if you wrote to the SEC.  It is a form of
security fraud after all at bottom.
------
William R. Mussatto
Systems Engineer
http://www.csz.com
909-920-9154

0
mussatto
3/26/2010 2:20:51 PM

SEC deals with securities, not with security.

-Will
0
rutherw
3/26/2010 2:30:05 PM
On Fri, March 26, 2010 07:30, Will Rutherdale (rutherw) wrote:
> [...]
True, but the SPAM looked like a pump and dump play hence the SEC.

Bill

0
mussatto

POSSIBLE BUG IN Win32 DBI INSTALL MODULE: DBI "prepare" no work FW: List 'dbi-users' closed to public posts
I have ActiveState Win32perl running. I installed fresh DBI, DBD, etc. from perl ppm.pl> prompt. But prepare( ) doesn't work (see below). perldoc DBI/DBD/DBI-FAQ are not useful since they assume it works. Any hints? Art www.mp3.com/ArthurSulit Classical Artist recently charted above Madonna -----Original Message----- From: Art Sulit [mailto:art@prs.net] Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2001 1:51 PM To: Webmaster@ActiveState.com Subject: POSSIBLE BUG IN YOUR DBI INSTALL MODULE: DBI "prepare" no work Hello, THERE IS A POSSIBLE BUG IN YOUR DBI INSTALL M...

dbi-users subscription ???
http://www.fugue.com/dbi/ tries to [un]subscribe from/to this list via isc.org -- which, of course, no longer handles this List ;> I need to *change* my Email address; which, probably, requires un-subscribing one address and subscribing another. Can you point me to the right place? -- Best Regards, mds mds resource 888.250.3987 "Dare to fix things before they break . . . " "Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we think we know. The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . . " ----- Original Message ...

dbi-users archive?
Is this list archived? The archive at http://archive.develooper.com/dbi-users@perl.org/ looks like it only has a few days' worth or messages. -- Todd Federman gdulli@zdnetonebox.com ___________________________________________________________________ To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax, all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com There are quite a few archives, this one being one of many and who ever keeps it up decided to only keep three days of mails, doesn't mean that all are like that. Try this site http:/...

DBI/Solaris User
Hello Sir, My name is Shamaal Blaise. I wanted to know if the Perl module had been tested on Sun/Solaris system??? And if so, where here any problems??? I am currently trying to do so on that type of system. I had noticed that there was not any mention of it on the page. I would greatly appreciate your time taken towards this concern of mine. Have a blessed day. Shamaal Blaise -- System Administrator ************************************************************************ This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain Exelon Corporation proprietary information, which ...

Why no [dbi-users] in subject
Hi, How come this list doesn't have a [dbi-users] in the subject? That would be handy for message filtering Thanks Jay On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:22:49 -0600, Jay Strauss wrote: >How come this list doesn't have a [dbi-users] in the subject? > >That would be handy for message filtering There are various list related headers. For example: List-Id: <dbi-users.perl.org> That's enough for my mail client. -- Bart. ...

New DBI user
--===============1763837195== MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-class: urn:content-classes:message Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C93D1A.AC7A3C07" ------_=_NextPart_001_01C93D1A.AC7A3C07 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable > Hello,=20 > My program has the potential to access multiple databases. It will > first check to ensure that the specific schema handle is not available > before creating a new one. In other words I don't want to tear down a > connec...

[perl5-dbi/DBI-Test] a2d1b2: create separate tests for DBI and DBI::Mock ...
----==_mimepart_51f946a54bb1b_2af891bd4c100430 Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:17:25 -0700 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-ID: <51f946a54c721_2af891bd4c100582@hookshot-fe3-pe1-prd.aws.github.net.mail> Branch: refs/heads/master Home: https://github.com/perl5-dbi/DBI-Test Commit: a2d1b22d134be0ca353e0f0b312fb14da24c798e https://github.com/perl5-dbi/DBI-Test/commit/a2d1b22d134be0ca353e0f0b312fb14da24c798e Author: Jens Rehsack <sno@netbsd.org> Date: 2013-07-31 (Wed, 31 Jul 2013) Changed ...

DBI users in the Republic of Ireland?
I'd like to get in touch with any DBI users in the Republic of Ireland. Please send me an email. Tim. ...

[perl5-dbi/dbi]
----==_mimepart_515e8f3785207_523740c1306299e Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 01:45:43 -0700 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-ID: <515e8f3787c27_523740c13063084@hookshot-fe5-pe1-prd.aws.github.net.mail> Branch: refs/heads/trunk Home: https://github.com/perl5-dbi/dbi ----==_mimepart_515e8f3785207_523740c1306299e-- ...

RE: How to get out of dbi-users
O.K Thankyou.... Users, please remove me from these lists "juan_amore@hp.com" as per the given instructions below: Best Rgds Juan -----Original Message----- From: Michael A Chase [mailto:mchase@ix.netcom.com] Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 10:18 AM To: dbi-users@perl.org; John P Crisci Subject: How to get out of dbi-users I doubt this will do much good since you didn't read the responses to the last person who sent such a request to the list, but if you send email to dbi-users-help@perl.org you will receive instructions that include how to unsubscribe fr...

Users logging in as the same user..
HI there.. I have a problem with ASE12.0 .. I have created 10 users on the database and granted everybody permissions and all.. However, it seems everybody, no matter who logs in, logs in as the same user.. For eg... I have user logins John, Alex, Alan, Steve......etc etc And i created a user group for all of them (eg developers..) However, when they log on to isql, anything that they do will be under John, no matter if it is logins John, Alex, Steve... or etc etc.. If i do a sp_who.. all the connections will be listed as John. If they create tables, all table created will ...

User to User trigger
I am developing a checkers web application in visual basic.  When a player finalizes his move, the move information is sent to a database.  I seek a method to inform the second player that the first player is finished.  This would allow the second player to find his opponent's move in the database and update his aspx Checker diagram page.  I realize that I could program so that the second player reads the database every few seconds to see if his opponent has finished.  But this seems to be an unnecessary use of server capacity.  It would be so muc...

A question about the dbi-users list
------_=_NextPart_001_01C26A36.F4FF1050 Content-Type: text/plain Ok, see if anyone here is familiar with the perl.org mailing lists... I'm trying to get the FAQ to email the list. The problem is that the FAQ is running on a server for which the default mail address is used for another purpose and I can't subscribe with it. So when I use sendmail, the domain it's sending from is something.org, where I'm subscribed as faq@unravelnet.com to the list. SO when doing... sendmail -t dbi-users@perl.org From: faq@unravelnet.com ....... ... The email comes with F...

searchable archive for dbi-users?
Where may I find a searchable archive of dbi-users? The dbi-users@perl.org archive does not appear to be searchable. Thanks, Phil R Lawrence See: http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/dbi/ When joining you received a e-mail like this: ================================================== Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the dbi-users@perl.org mailing list. I'm working for my owner, who can be reached at dbi-users-owner@perl.org. -- -- For help and a description of available commands, send a message to: <dbi-users-help@perl....

Web resources about - spammer on dbi-users - perl.dbi.users