Setting up ODBC connection on Linux for using DBD::ODBC

--_000_E3137F97B0A0804194F369F4E7C3B71927B947875EEXCHANGEpersi_
content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

Hi All,
I have been working on Windows with Oracle DB and Active Perl and done some=
 DBI coding with DBD::ODBC.
Now I need to move things over to Linux machine  ( Red Hat Linux 4 and Oracl=
e 10g.)
I know this is not really a DBI question, but I thought I can get good help=
 here,
Can someone please tell me how I set up ODBC on Linux or point me to website=
s explaining this.
Thanks a lot,
DB

DISCLAIMER=0A=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=0A=
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the=
 property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the=
 individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended=
 recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute=
 or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, plea=
se notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Syste=
ms Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

--_000_E3137F97B0A0804194F369F4E7C3B71927B947875EEXCHANGEpersi_--
0
dhanashri_bhate
6/29/2009 10:26:16 AM
perl.dbi.users 11098 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Dhanashri Bhate wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have been working on Windows with Oracle DB and Active Perl and done some DBI coding with DBD::ODBC.
> Now I need to move things over to Linux machine  ( Red Hat Linux 4 and Oracle 10g.)
> I know this is not really a DBI question, but I thought I can get good help here,
> Can someone please tell me how I set up ODBC on Linux or point me to websites explaining this.
> Thanks a lot,
> DB
>
> DISCLAIMER
> ==========
> This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Systems Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

Linux/UNIX ODBC at
http://www.easysoft.com/developer/interfaces/odbc/linux.html
is a pretty good start at the background then
http://www.easysoft.com/developer/languages/perl/index.html has specific
DBD::ODBC stuff.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans
Easysoft Limited
On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 15:56 +0530, Dhanashri Bhate wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have been working on Windows with Oracle DB and Active Perl and done some DBI coding with DBD::ODBC.
> Now I need to move things over to Linux machine  ( Red Hat Linux 4 and Oracle 10g.)
> I know this is not really a DBI question, but I thought I can get good help here,
> Can someone please tell me how I set up ODBC on Linux or point me to websites explaining this.
> Thanks a lot,

http://www.google.com/search?q=odbc+linux

0
jkstill
6/29/2009 4:52:09 PM
Thanks Martin,
After setting up the ODBC, I am trying to connect to the database, with a sc=
ript as below
-------------------
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;

use DBI;

my $dbh;            # the database handle

my $dsn =3D "DBI:ODBC:orcl" ;
my $user =3D "dbuser";
my $pass =3D "dbpass";

#connect to the database

$dbh =3D DBI->connect ( $dsn, $user, $pass ) or die "Unable to connect: $DBI=
::errstr\n";
-------------------

When I execute this logging in as a general user or user "oracle" I get erro=
r like this -

--------
DBI connect('orcl','dbuser',...) failed: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Can't ope=
n lib '/u01/app/oracle/lib/hsdb_odbc.so' : libhsbase.so: cannot open shared=
 object file: No such file or directory (SQL-01000) at ./dbconnect.pl line 1=
6
Unable to connect: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Can't open lib '/u01/app/oracle=
/lib/hsdb_odbc.so' : libhsbase.so: cannot open shared object file: No such f=
ile or directory (SQL-01000)
--------

Something to do with permissions, because When I execute the script with roo=
t login, the error is different -
------
DBI connect('orcl','dbuser',...) failed: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver's=
 SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed (SQL-IM004)
------

I googled for the errors, and have confirmed that $PATH, $ORACLE_HOME and $O=
RACLE_SID etc are set correctly for these users.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks!

> I have been working on Windows with Oracle DB and Active Perl and done som=
e DBI coding with DBD::ODBC.
> Now I need to move things over to Linux machine  ( Red Hat Linux 4 and Ora=
cle 10g.)
> I know this is not really a DBI question, but I thought I can get good hel=
p here,
> Can someone please tell me how I set up ODBC on Linux or point me to websi=
tes explaining this.
> Thanks a lot,
> DB
>
> DISCLAIMER
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is t=
he property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of th=
e individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended=
 recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute=
 or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, plea=
se notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Syste=
ms Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

Linux/UNIX ODBC at
http://www.easysoft.com/developer/interfaces/odbc/linux.html
is a pretty good start at the background then
http://www.easysoft.com/developer/languages/perl/index.html has specific
DBD::ODBC stuff.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans
Easysoft Limited
http://www.easysoft.com

DISCLAIMER=0A=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=0A=
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the=
 property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the=
 individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended=
 recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute=
 or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, plea=
se notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Syste=
ms Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.
0
dhanashri_bhate
6/30/2009 6:55:04 AM
Dhanashri Bhate wrote:
> Thanks Martin,
> After setting up the ODBC, I am trying to connect to the database, with a script as below
> -------------------
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use strict;
> use warnings;
>
> use DBI;
>
> my $dbh;            # the database handle
>
> my $dsn = "DBI:ODBC:orcl" ;
> my $user = "dbuser";
> my $pass = "dbpass";
>
> #connect to the database
>
> $dbh = DBI->connect ( $dsn, $user, $pass ) or die "Unable to connect: $DBI::errstr\n";
> -------------------
>
> When I execute this logging in as a general user or user "oracle" I get error like this -
>
> --------
> DBI connect('orcl','dbuser',...) failed: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Can't open lib '/u01/app/oracle/lib/hsdb_odbc.so' : libhsbase.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (SQL-01000) at ./dbconnect.pl line 16
> Unable to connect: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Can't open lib '/u01/app/oracle/lib/hsdb_odbc.so' : libhsbase.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (SQL-01000)
> --------
>
> Something to do with permissions,

You need to check you have read permission to /u01/app/oracle/lib and
the files in it and execute permission on the shared objects. It is not
uncommon for Oracle to be installed without these permissions.

That error is saying hsdb_odbc.so depends on libhsbase.so and it cannot
load/find it. Are you sure

I don't think hsdb_odbc is Oracle's ODBC driver - I thought it was
libsqora.so.

> because When I execute the script with root login, the error is different -
> ------
> DBI connect('orcl','dbuser',...) failed: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed (SQL-IM004)
> ------

That is probably because you have not set ORACLE_HOME environment
variable properly (or the problem above).

> I googled for the errors, and have confirmed that $PATH, $ORACLE_HOME and $ORACLE_SID etc are set correctly for these users.
>
> Any help appreciated!
> Thanks!

First get sqlplus working. Then use unixODBC's isql to get ODBC working
(isql -v orcl dbuser dbpass) and lastly work on Perl.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans
Easysoft Limited

> After setting up the ODBC, I am trying to connect to the database, with a=
 script as below
> -------------------
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use strict;
> use warnings;
>
> use DBI;
>
> my $dbh;            # the database handle
>
> my $dsn =3D "DBI:ODBC:orcl" ;
> my $user =3D "dbuser";
> my $pass =3D "dbpass";
>
> #connect to the database
>
> $dbh =3D DBI->connect ( $dsn, $user, $pass ) or die "Unable to connect: $D=
BI::errstr\n";
> -------------------
>
> When I execute this logging in as a general user or user "oracle" I get er=
ror like this -

> --------
> DBI connect('orcl','dbuser',...) failed: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Can't o=
pen lib '/u01/app/oracle/lib/hsdb_odbc.so' : libhsbase.so: cannot open share=
d object file: No such file or directory (SQL-01000) at ./dbconnect.pl line=
 16
> Unable to connect: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Can't open lib '/u01/app/orac=
le/lib/hsdb_odbc.so' : libhsbase.so: cannot open shared object file: No such=
 file or directory (SQL-01000)
> --------
>
> Something to do with permissions,

You need to check you have read permission to /u01/app/oracle/lib and
the files in it and execute permission on the shared objects. It is not
uncommon for Oracle to be installed without these permissions.

That error is saying hsdb_odbc.so depends on libhsbase.so and it cannot
load/find it. Are you sure

I don't think hsdb_odbc is Oracle's ODBC driver - I thought it was
libsqora.so.

> because When I execute the script with root login, the error is different=
 -
> ------
> DBI connect('orcl','dbuser',...) failed: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver'=
s SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed (SQL-IM004)
> ------

That is probably because you have not set ORACLE_HOME environment
variable properly (or the problem above).

> I googled for the errors, and have confirmed that $PATH, $ORACLE_HOME and=
 $ORACLE_SID etc are set correctly for these users.

> Any help appreciated!
> Thanks!

First get sqlplus working. Then use unixODBC's isql to get ODBC working
(isql -v orcl dbuser dbpass) and lastly work on Perl.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans
Easysoft Limited
http://www.easysoft.com

DISCLAIMER=0A=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=0A=
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the=
 property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the=
 individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended=
 recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute=
 or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, plea=
se notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Syste=
ms Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.
0
dhanashri_bhate

how to connect database at Linux from Windows using different users with ODBC?
Hmmm. Thanks for response. But what can I do for each user to login with their username and password? Different user rights in database require this. "No chance" answer would kill me... Bye ----- Original Message ----- From: David Fishburn <fishburn@spam_off_sybase.com> Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere.linux Sent: Friday, January 12, 2001 3:46 PM Subject: Re: windows client for ASA 7.01 on linux > From the Help: > > ASA User's Guide > PART 1. Starting and Connecting to Your Database > CHAPTER 2 . Connecting to a Database ...

Need help connecting to Teradata using DBI and DBD::ODBC packages
--bcaec5015d3940ad0504ae15d2e4 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Jeff, The following perl script is used to connect to SQL server database using DBI and DBD::ODBC modules. *my *$dbh =3D DBI->*connect*("DBI:ODBC:Driver=3D{SQL Server};Server=3D$db_instance;Database=3D$db_name;UID=3D$db_user;PWD=3D$db_= pass") or *die*("\n\nCONNECT ERROR:\n\n$DBI::errstr"); I used the same syntax to connect to Teradata but I couldn't connect. I have Installed the cli, teragss, and tdicu Teradata software pac...

New development release (1.18_2) of DBD::ODBC
Hi, I have released a new development release of DBD::ODBC 1.18_2 which you can find on CPAN. For a list of changes see the end of this email. I would like to make a plea to all DBD::ODBC users to download and at least run the make test and send the output to me, even if you are not currently planning on upgrading. Increasingly I am finding it very difficult to keep on top of specific workarounds for drivers and driver managers. At this time there are at least 4 ODBC driver managers and well over 50 ODBC drivers used regularly (just for SQL Server on Windows there are over...

DataDirect ODBC/DBD:ODBC/Linux/SQL Server
------_=_NextPart_001_01C0D40E.651E7760 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Hi, I am newbie to this mailing list. Please spare me if my question is too silly. I did search the archive but cannot find the information I need. I downloaded DataDirect Connect ODBC yesterday and installed on my Redhat Linux 6.1. I then installed DBI-1.15 and DBD:ODBC 0.28. I tested successfully DBD:ODBC with Openlink before. But when I re-install it for DataDirect, "make test" failed and indicated a required shared library isn't installed successfully. When I tried...

DBI w/ DBD:ODBC or DBI w/ DBD:mysql Which?
------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C1D022.ADFABA00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am new to Perl DBI programming But it is fairly simple.. I am using both Mysql 3.23.44nt and 3.23.43 Linux..as well as PostgreSQL 7.1 Linux and on WinXP on Cygwin. Perl on Linux was straight forward but the Perl on WIn is a bit = Different. I ran a simple script to insert records in a table as test and it worked = but I am unsure that the WinXP install of Perl and DBI is correct that is do I = have the=20 correct modules in place. ...

ODBC DSN less connection issues using ASE ODBC Driver
Hi, I am facing a problem while making dsn less connection to sybase Here is the thing, I shall try to make it simple: this piece of connection string works fine in production with sybase 11 open client installed Driver={SYBASE SYSTEM 11};Srvr=SYBPRD_DEV;Uid=SYBPRDCOM;Pwd=welcomedb1; However, I am trying to setup a Dev environment with Sybase open client 12.5 ..this piece fails with the following error msgs, Connection string: err msg: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified (i tried changing it to {SYBASE ASE ODBC Drive...

ODBC Connection error using IIS 5 and MS Access ODBC
Completely new at this so please forgive my ignorance! I have an app running on IIS 5 and 6 that when connecting to a SQL Db (via ODBC) app runs fine; however when switching to a local MS Access Db, application fails, generating the following message: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>   FAIL - ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Disk or network error. ERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Disk or network error.</string&...

DBI w/ DBD:ODBC vs DBI w/ DBD:mysql
------=_NextPart_000_002D_01C1D002.8689BBD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am new to Perl DBI programming But it is fairly simple.. I am using both Mysql 3.23.44nt and 3.23.43 Linux..as well as PostgreSQL 7.1 Linux and on WinXP on Cygwin. Perl on Linux was straight forward but the Perl on WIn is a bit = Different. I ran a simple script to insert records in a table as test and it worked = but I am unsure that the WinXP install of Perl and DBI is correct that is do I = have the=20 correct modules in place. ...

SAP DB, DBI, DBD::ODBC and ODBC 3.X data types
Hi, Three datatypes are defined in ODBC 3.X but not defined or known (as far as I can tell) in DBI and DBD::ODBC. The SQL data types are: SQL_TYPE_DATE (91) SQL_TYPE_TIME (92) SQL_TYPE_TIMESTAMP (93) I use Red Hat 7.2, SAP DB 7.3.0.18, DBI 1.20 and DBD::ODBC 0.31. When running DBD::ODBC make test TEST_VERBOSE=1 I get this output: " ... t/02simple..........1..16 ..... Test 3: create test table Using fields: A SMALLINT, B VARCHAR(4000), C LONG, D DATE ok 3 ..... Test 9: test ColAttributes Column count is: 4 1: A = 5 2: B = 12 3: C = -1 4: D ...

DBD::ODBC 1.14 does not work on Windows x64 using Microsoft ODBC drivers
I have Perl 5.8.8 built for Windows x64 from Activestate (version 822) installed on a Windows 2003 x64 bit server (Xeon processor). I have installed version 1.59 of DBI and version 1.14 of DBD::ODBC compiled for x64 bit, using the freely available Microsoft SDK. The ODBC-ODBC bridge used is supposed to be for 64 bit, as described by Microsoft. I ran the attached test script and get an error: DBD::ODBC::st execute failed: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Invalid string or buffer length (SQL-HY090)(DBD: st_execute/SQLExecute err=-1) at test_dbd-odbc.pl line 48. This seems to ...

SAP DB, DBI, DBD::ODBC and ODBC 3.X data types #2
Hi, Three datatypes are defined in ODBC 3.X but not defined or known (as far as I can tell) in DBI and DBD::ODBC. The SQL data types are: SQL_TYPE_DATE (91) SQL_TYPE_TIME (92) SQL_TYPE_TIMESTAMP (93) I use Red Hat 7.2, SAP DB 7.3.0.18, DBI 1.20 and DBD::ODBC 0.31. When running DBD::ODBC make test TEST_VERBOSE=1 I get this output: " ..... t/02simple..........1..16 ..... Test 3: create test table Using fields: A SMALLINT, B VARCHAR(4000), C LONG, D DATE ok 3 ..... Test 9: test ColAttributes Column count is: 4 1: A = 5 2: B = 12 3: C = -1 4: ...

user count using nds odbc connection in access
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C73FAE.6D14D650 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Has anyone had luck linking to an odbc nds source from access to query = things from edirectory? I need to get a user object count and would like = the list so I can make sure there are no ex-employees on the list. I = have the odbc link set up and my query runs but locks up and access = takes a dive after processing a little over 200 users. Here is my sql = statement. Also, the nds_name fiel...

DBD:ODBC with unixODBC/FreeTDS on Linux connection problem
Hello, Does anybody have any ideas on the following problem? If not, does anybody know where I could look for a solution? Thanks, Brandon -----Original Message----- From: Brandon Day=20 Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 10:27 AM To: dbi-users@perl.org Subject: DBD: db_login/SQLConnect err=3D-1 with unixODBC/FreeTDS on = Linux Hello, I am using DBD:ODBC (unixODBC/FreeTDS) with Perl 5.8.5 on Solaris and I am able to connect to a MS SQL 2000 database successfully. I am now trying to migrate the app to RHEL3 and for some reason I cannot connect to the same SQL db. I can...

Writing to MS Access using DBI and DBD::ODBC
--=====================_26212221==_ Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="=====================_26212231==.ALT" --=====================_26212231==.ALT Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed I can read my MS Access DB using DBI but I cannot write, delete, or update it. I have seen a couple relevant discussions posted but none (I've seen) offered a solution. The web site is using: Windows 2000 Server Perl v 5.8.0 build 805 DBI v 1.37 from ActiveState DBD-ODBC v 1.06 from ActiveState ...

Web resources about - Setting up ODBC connection on Linux for using DBD::ODBC - perl.dbi.users

Paris attacks: Belgium connection probed as terrorist past of Brussels district of Molenbeek under spotlight ...
Prosecutors reveal a growing Belgian connection to the deadly Paris attacks, focusing on a poor Brussels district.

The Direct Connection

Cross-cultural Connections and Exchange: international study is more important than ever
... And, as a minority of ill-intentioned individuals and groups do their best to create divides, we need citizens equipped to create connections ...

Get ready for live-streamed extreme sports: Seattle startup Sioeye adds 4G connection to action cam
The history of people doing crazy stunts on camera is full of notable achievements. Motorcycle daredevil Evel Knievel jumped over whatever he ...