Problems using an old version of DBI to connect to a remote Oracle 10g database

------_=_NextPart_001_01C7333E.A1E7ABF9

Dear all,

Appreciate if someone can help me with this.

I have a Solaris 5.6 Generic_105181-33 box on which I have Perl version
5.005_03.
I also have Perl modules DBI (version 1.14) and DBD::Oracle (version
1.06 - I think?? - how can I check this?)
I am using the following string to connect to a remote Oracle 10g
instance:

my $dbh =3D DBI->connect
("dbi:Oracle:$environment",$nsm_login,$nsm_password) || die "Unable to
connect to $environment: $DBI::errstr\n";

....where $environment is the instance name - this is defined in
tnsnames.ora.

I am getting the following error:

ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel (DBD: login failed)

I can connect OK from the command line using:

sqlplus login/password@instance_name

I suspect that I need newer versions of Perl, DBI and DBD.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Dave S

------_=_NextPart_001_01C7333E.A1E7ABF9--
0
dave
1/8/2007 4:04:06 PM
perl.dbi.users 11098 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I would say yes as DBD::Oracel 1.06 is about 13 revisoins out of date.

Appreciate if someone can help me with this.

I have a Solaris 5.6 Generic_105181-33 box on which I have Perl version
5.005_03.
I also have Perl modules DBI (version 1.14) and DBD::Oracle (version
1.06 - I think?? - how can I check this?)
I am using the following string to connect to a remote Oracle 10g
instance:

my $dbh = DBI->connect
("dbi:Oracle:$environment",$nsm_login,$nsm_password) || die "Unable to
connect to $environment: $DBI::errstr\n";

....where $environment is the instance name - this is defined in
tnsnames.ora.

I am getting the following error:

ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel (DBD: login failed)

I can connect OK from the command line using:

sqlplus login/password@instance_name

I suspect that I need newer versions of Perl, DBI and DBD.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Dave S

0
scoles
1/8/2007 8:07:26 PM
This may not be a DBD::Oracle issue, although your modules look a little
dated.  Did you check you instance alert log and find the generated
trace file?

--
Ron Reidy
Lead DBA

[...]

This electronic message transmission is a PRIVATE communication which =
contains
information which may be confidential or privileged. The information is =
intended=20
to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are =
not the=20
intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, =
distribution=20
or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please notify =
the
sender  of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us =
by

Ron

Oracle 10g database and DBI connectivity
Perl experts, I've got DBI and Apache configured to connect to an Oracle 9.2 database. I'm considering upgrading the database to 10g. Not expecting any problems but if anyone has gone that route and are willing to share any gotchas or additional suggestions i'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks, Kevin ...

Using DBI to connect to an Oracle 9i database
I am having a problem using DBI to connect to an Oracle 9i database. We have a script that loops thru a global tnsnames.ora file that contains all our databases. The script connects to each database. We have Oracle 8.1.7.4 databases and 9.2 databases. I changed the script to use the same connect string for both version of Oracle. When I added the following code to the connect string, I can connect to 9.2 databases, but I can't connect to the some 8.1.7.4 database. For the databases I can't connect to I get the following error {ora_session_mode => $session_mode}) whe...

how to implement login module using Oracle 10g database (logic & Oracle 10g Queries) and how can i use membership and roles with Oracle 10g & VS 2.0
 Hi all, Can any one tell me how to implement login module using Oracle 10g database (logic & Oracle 10g Queries) and how can I use membership and roles with Oracle 10g & vs 2.0. , for implement this is it compulsory to install oracle 10g server on the same machine on which I'm implementing this task  or otherwise i can use  other system as a server (like remote login or client server)  Hi,You should have the Oracle 10g Server or Client In your machine.In Case Client is in your Machine then Server Must be somewhere,that is enough to use.I hope then we ...

Oracle 10g Database connectivity in PowerBuilder 11.5 Desktop Version using ODBC
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub4940f6b1 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I have installed PB 11.5 Desktop version with all the EBF`s. I created a DSN for the Oracle 10g default ('Orcl') database through ODBC Administrator. I was successfully able to connect to the database through the DSN. Now I created a Database Profile in PowerBuilder 11.5 Desktop version for the DSN created above. When I tried testing the database connection I got the errors present in attached in document...

Oracle::DBI module
Hello, Can someone help with me a DBI issue I'm having in connecting to an Oracle 10g DB server? We have production scripts that loads data into DB (oracle9i) using DBI module. We recently migrated our database to oracle 10g. Our DBA has implemented load balancing on this 10g server and gave us the new tnsnames entry as... hoststring.10G = (DESCRIPTION= (LOAD_BALANCE=yes) (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=x.x.x.123)(PORT=1521)) (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=x.x.x.124)(PORT=1521)) (CONNECT_DATA= (SERVICE_NAME=xxxx) ) ) Currently, using the...

Identifying the server connected to via DBI->connect("dbi:Oracle:")
I've written some perl that, given a TNS alias, will get the hostname from the effective tnsnames.ora file. My problem is I don't know how to get the hostname if the client's using Oracle*Names. For such a configuration there is no tnsnames.ora file to parse. Is there something in DBI or DBD::Oracle that reveals components of the TNS alias description? If not, is there some API that would allow someone to retrieve the TNS alias description from 'the master' (i.e., an Oracle*Names server)? If there is such an API and no one has written a perl wrapper for it, I'...

test DBD::Oracle DBI connect('','user/password@database',...) failed: ORA-12154
--0-621501335-1235620987=:55352 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii I can connect to the database using sqlplus as user oracle, but not as root. I can compile DBD::Oracle but not complete the test. I tried to set variables properly: ORACLE_HOME=/u/oracle/10.2.0 ORACLE_HOST=hostname ORACLE_PORT=1522 ORACLE_SID=databasename ORACLE_USERID=user/password@databasename PATH=/u/oracle/10.2.0/bin:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin PWD=/usr/src/pub/dbd-oracle/DBD-Oracle-1.22 TNS_ADMIN=/u/or...

Unable to DBI->Connect(dbi:Oracle...)
Hi, I have been trying to DBI->connect(dbi:Oracle ...) for several weeks now and still unable to make the connection. I am running Oracle 8.0.5 on a Linux 2.2.14-5.0 (RedHat 6.2) server. I can ODBC into Oracle from a client w/ no problem. I can DBI->connect(dbi:MySql ...) w/ no problem. But when I try to DBI->connect to Oracle I get the message that it can't load '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.so' and that the following does not exist /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm Both of these do exist and ...

DBI->connect(dbi:Oracle SUCCESS
Hi all, I would like to heartly thank all of you for your assistance, esp David Davisson and Michael Chase. I am finally able to DBI connect to Oracle 8.0.5 running on Linux 2.1.14-5.0 (RedHat 6.2). In the end it was something as simple as configuring the DBI->connect statement correctly. According to "Programming the Perl DBI" by Alligator Descartes & Tim Bunce (creator of Oracle DBI) there are 3 possible syntaxes for the command: dbi:Oracle:tnsnames dbi:Oracle:sidname dbi:Oracle:host=hostname;sid=sid In my environment the 1st 2 do not work. I n...

Severe DBI-Oracle DBI-ODBC Problem
--part1_7d.460bcdd0.2d55394f_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Emergency assistance - This should never be so difficult! ? All day working switching between the 2 activestate binary installation versions from activestate site &amp;amp; DBD/DBI versions.&amp;nbsp; No headway connecting to oracle via perl DBI.&amp;nbsp; Windows 2k - new system. Everything newly installed for this PC.&amp;nbsp; I do not see an activestate 6.xx binary at the activestate site ?&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Uninterested...

Problems connecting to Oracle 9i database with Oracle 10g Client and Win XP x64
Hardware/Software:Dell Precision 490 with Intel Xeon 64 bit processor running MS Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version 2003 Service Pack 1.Visual Studio .NET 2005 Oracle 10g ClientI am trying to run my ASP.NET application from the above mentioned computer that connects to an Oracle 9i database on another machine on the network, but get the following error when using the OLEDB provider for Oracle:Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation.Provid...

Problem in creating Oracle connection cache using EAServer 5.0,Oracle 10g
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub417ced02 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I am facing problem to create connection cache using Oracle.I am attaching snapshot of EAServer properties which I set. I refered query dt. 21 jul,04 topic "EAServer JDBC connection to Oracle". But it not works. ---=_forums-2-dub417ced02 Content-Type: application/x-zip-compressed; name="Oracle connection cache problem.zip" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=&q...

Can't connect to Oracle database using Oracle 10g Client in Windows 2003 Enterprise
Hi, Our test environment is Windows 2003 enterprise with IIS and Oracle 10g client installed. I wrote a simple asp.net program to connect to a Oracle database and display the select result in a datagrid. But can't connect to Oracle. It seems .NET can't find the oracle client. Any idea is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Joey...

HELP PLEASE! Problems using returning a cursor to DBI & DBD::Oracle using Stored Procedures
Tim, Oracle 8.1.7 DBI 1.28 DBD::Oracle 1.12 I hope this email does not irriatate you but I really need some help. I = have an Oracle DBA I need to work with who doesn't seem to how to write = PL/SQL for Perl DBI. He insists on writting stored procedures which loop = through the results set =20 fetching the data into output variables. The problem is I can't seem to = figure out how to get all the data from it. I found an example of an oracle FUNCTION returning a cursor which = allowed me to fetch the data from Perl. Unfortanely, the DBA is = complaining that the return...

Web resources about - Problems using an old version of DBI to connect to a remote Oracle 10g database - perl.dbi.users

Where will ISIS attack next? Christmas travel a problem for intelligence agencies
IT’S that time of year when we let our guards down, when we relax and look forward to spending time with our loved ones over the festive break. ...

The Sound of Music review: How do you solve a problem like Cameron Daddo?
They have solved the problem of Maria with the casting of Amy Lehpamer, but Cameron Daddo doesn't cut the schnitzel as a lifelong military man ...

Dot-Sucks Domain Name Not Our Problem, Ottawa Says 2
The Canadian government has washed its hands of the "dot-sucks" controversy, as the new internet domain name begins to take root beside the more ...

Breitbart contributor says mass extinction via climate change isn’t a problem because of Jurassic Park ...
... about how science works. It did not go well for him: A Breitbart "journalist" claimed extinctions caused by climate change aren't a problem ...

Yet another problem with Comcast data caps: Customers have no idea why they’re exceeding their limits ...
Comcast sure knows how to bring out the love from its customer base. Cut Cable Today recently filed a FOIA request to the Federal Communications ...

BlackRock's $32 Billion Hedge-Fund Business Has a Little Problem
Yes, he runs the biggest asset management firm the world has ever seen. But right now, Laurence D. Fink has a little hedge-fund problem.

Lawler: "Yes, Houston will have a problem next year"
Some thoughts on the Houston housing market from housing economist Tom Lawler: Earlier this week I sent out a message with a link to the Houston ...

Court secrecy is a dangerous problem
Recently unveiled documents in the Remington faulty-trigger case show court secrecy can lead to unnecessary deaths, says Arthur Bryant.

Yesterday’s technologies, today’s problems
When I first heard the story, I didn’t believe it. I mean, really, a Paris airport forced to shut down because a computer running Windows 3.1 ...