DBD::Access? [was: MS Access]

The message further below went accidentally not to the list...

One of the earlier mails said:

> > From: Tim Bunce

This SourceForge project provides access to .mdb files which
reside on a Linux filesystem. No Windows, Access or else involved.
*That* would make it possible to do a DBD::Access.

Tim Harsch replied to that:

========================Begin quote===========================

And a previous email said:

JEFFZ> At first glance it looks like it would be trivial to build an
> AnyData::Format::Access.pm using mdbtools which would then provide
> direct DBI interface to the MDB files.  If anyone is interested in
> doing this, let me know and I'll help.

TIMB> I'd rather someone did a DBD::Access.

Also MDB Tools would be backdoor access to the datafiles which is not
access to the database.  Which means you would be skipping multiuser
logins, deadlock control, atomic transactions etc.

=============End Quote Tim Harsch===========================

I see. Thanks for that insight, Tim H.! However, even if you use Access
itself to handle .mdb files, that isn't really multiuser-ready! At work
we had serious trouble using .mdb files from different locations. There
is no database server which could take care of concurrent writes etc.!
The whole file is transferred to the client computers, modified there
and then written back (in portions) to the file server. Concurrent
modifications on the "database" regularly destroy the file beyond
repair. So I think the mdbtools are just doing the same as Access
itself, but I'll have to dig further into this (not this week, though).
So the sane approach here would be to use mbdtools as the actual file
reader/writer, but secured by some kind of database "server" or proxy.
DBI::Proxy pops into my mind here, maybe it could be used to serialize
reads and writes?

Not being able to use .mdb files as real databases with multi-user
support bugs me for quite a while now - at work I have to use them
(management decision, nothing else allowed)...

Jeff, Tim Bunce, Tim Harsch: I would like to see DBD::Access (or
whatever it should be called) happen, but my skills are not sufficient.
Could we work together? It might be a good idea to invite the mdbtools
developers, too, they might be able to help...

Best regards,
Martin Stricker

Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/
shugal
6/26/2002 9:04:51 PM
perl.dbi.users 11100 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Accessing MS Access through the DBI ODBC
Hi all, I am trying to access an MS Access database via perl DBI and I am unable = to. I checked the security and there is only one 'Admin' user with no = password and I use that in my connection string. However, I cannot = connect. Please help. Regards, Javier Moreno Hi Javier, > I am trying to access an MS Access database via perl DBI and I am unable to. I checked the security and there is only one 'Admin' user with no password and I use that in my connection string. However, I cannot connect. Please help. > 1. Create an ODBC connection via %Sys...

Single user access on MS Access database
We just transitioned our DATA volume from a Netware traditional volume to a iSCSI connected NSS volume on a NetApp Filer FAS 270. Netware 6.5 Since the move we've noticed a MS Access database issue arise. When the database is opened by the next user they receice the error message: "MSysAccessObjects can not be opened it is currently opened by another user" This is an Access file table not a custom table. Is it a Oplocks and/or File Caching issue on the server? If so, where can I tuen that off? Does anyone know of any issues regarding MS Access and NSS volu...

Dbi objects to access an MS Access Db
I'm having a problem getting Tran-ide to recognize my access 2000 database. I've created a system dsn called Midas and created the attached nnsyreg.dat file and put it into e:\sybase\ImpactClient-5_3\config directory. I've also put this file in my projects directory and still get the following message. Unable to connect to session Midas. Any Advice? Thanks Brent begin 666 nnsyreg.dat M4V5S<VEO;BY-:61A<PT*"4Y.3U1?4TA!4D5$7TQ)0E)!4ED@/2!D8G0R-VUS M;V1B8PT*"4Y.3U1?1D%#5$]265]&54Y#5$E/3B ]($Y.4V5S3T1"0T9A8W1O M<GD-"@E.3E]315-?4T525D52(#T@24U...

Accessing MS Access
Hi all, This is probably a more DB oriented question, but it came out of the = DBI. I posted a question and have tried several solutions on how to open = up an MS Access DB from the DBI::ODBC but so far have been unable to. = What I had to end up doing was create a DTS that runs every 5 minutes = which copies the table I need from Access and populates a SQL Server = table. This causes a delay on my web application such that whenever my = page overlaps while the DTS is running I get no data. So I was wondering = if there is a better way to get information from Access so I can see it =...

MS access to MS access problem
I always used MS Access Database In my programs, now I want to use SQL SERVER database and so I started to design one. but it’s a little bit confusing ,I don’t know what can I use in change of these access Data type : MS access // MS access -------------- -------------------- Memo >>>>>>>> ?? AutoNumber >>>>> ?? * and if you think there is some difference between Ms access and SQL in D...

Re: Re: Accessing MS Access through the DBI ODBC
> From: Kevin Carothers <kevindotcar@gmail.com> > Date: 2005/03/30 Wed PM 06:44:48 CST > 1. Create an ODBC connection via %SystemRoot%\system32\odbcad32.exe > Call the database connect name "ODBCName" > > 2. In your Perl code add: > [---] > use DBI; > [---] > $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:ODBC:ODBCName",'',''); > [---] Just my opinion, but I don't think this is good advice. For one, it creates extra administration on the system, by forcing the user/programmer /sysadmin/webadmin to ...

accessing access
------=_NextPart_000_029B_01C29063.1E2098D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi! I am trying to access an access mdb file for the first time. I get the following error: Can't connect(dbi::ODBC:pfawtbls.mdb ), no database driver specified and DBI_DSN env var not set at jfa_data.pl line 147 for the code: my $dbh = DBI->connect( "dbi::ODBC:pfawtbls.mdb", "", "", ) or die "Unable to connect: ". $DBI::errstr. "<br>"; What am I missing? Thanks, Jer...

Access access
========== Hi, Everyone ... I'm going to lock this thread for now. If you have a question about working with Access in Web Matrix, please start a new thread in this forum. Otherwise, this thread will get to be unwieldy. Thanks! ========== Updated 6/29/03 Hello, everyone. I've been working with the new version of Web Matrix (version .6, build 812, available right now!). In particular, I've been playing with support for Microsoft Access, which is one of the great new features in the new release. I wrote up some notes on what I've found to share some of my experiences and to a...

DBI, MS Access, inserting/updating a Access Date/Time value
Hi, Does anyone have any idea what is up with Microsoft Access and its ridiculous Date/Time formatting options? It doesn't seem to matter what format I attempt to insert with. The directory and db file permissions are all Full Control. I'm using the "#" around the Date/Time format as required. The database has nothing as the Format in Design view on the General tab. The insert below has never worked once. On the up side if I run an insert that has no mention of the Date/Time field then it will just insert the record using the =Now() function as the default va...

Access MS SQL using DBI / DBD
Hi, I am new to perl...I am trying to use DBI / DBD to access MS SQL database and I cannot find any documentation/help. What I need to do is to login to the SQL server and get the database space details.(MS SQL 7.0 & 2000) Can someone help...Thanks in advance. Pathi hi Pathi, I believe that you would use DBD::ODBC module, then there won't be a big problem. ^^ http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=DBD-ODBC good luck "Pathi Erramilli" <perramil@ford.com> wrote in message news:200110302230.f9UMUaw13266@dymwsm12.mailwatch.com... > Hi, > >...

accessing MS Access from .net
hi I am accessing ms access data base which has a table called customers. when i try to insert data into the table i am gettign the error like "Operation must use an updatable query" and the line its showing is myOleDbcommand.ExecuteNonQuery() here is my code in page lode event Sub Page_Load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) Dim StrConnectString as String Dim strStatement as String strConnectSTring = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password='';User ID=Admin;Data Source=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Srinu\WebApplication2\...

Accessing a MS Access database
Hi, I would like to do a lookup into an Access database, and display the result in a grid. I'm an embedded programmer being thrown into the world of .net, asp, VB, and databases so I don't know where to start :-) ...... can anyone help me ? Thanks. Really jus ta matter of making a connection, doing your query, and displaying results. Here is a sample from a module I use. The data is bound to a datagrid. Sub LoadSchedule() Dim strSrc As String = CType(Settings("src"), String) If Trim(strSrc) <> "" Then ...

Access to MS-Access denied
I'm moving data from MS-Access *.mdb files (using Win32::ODBC) to a postgresql database (using DBD:Pg). While I'n not having problems to do it with many ordinary *.mdb files I'm unable now to transfer data from an Access file which is protected. As a matter of fact the launching icon on my NT desktop has the following line in it (which gives me r/w rights on the db): "C:\programs\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCES.EXE""V:\PE\myfile.mdb/user De Martino/nostartup". I've tried to give the login "De Martino" (no password is required) to the ...

Writing to MS Access using DBI and DBD::ODBC
--=====================_26212221==_ Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="=====================_26212231==.ALT" --=====================_26212231==.ALT Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed I can read my MS Access DB using DBI but I cannot write, delete, or update it. I have seen a couple relevant discussions posted but none (I've seen) offered a solution. The web site is using: Windows 2000 Server Perl v 5.8.0 build 805 DBI v 1.37 from ActiveState DBD-ODBC v 1.06 from ActiveState ...

Web resources about - DBD::Access? [was: MS Access] - perl.dbi.users