XML in, XML out

Hi All (and a happy holiday to those that will get a break),

I am trying to read in an XML file of addresses. I need to remove all
the address data from the file where code =~ /^000/ (there are none
in the example data below). I need to reproduce that data 'as is', so
I need to honour the tag structure, although the order of the tags
doesn't need to be honoured.

I have been trying to use XML::Simple and I had a go with XML::Smart
but I haven't been able to get the results I want.

My best effort is below (with XML::Simple). There are a couple of
differences I can't seem to get around. 1) How to get a name on the
anon tags (<anon> should be <address>) . 2) how to get the number
data as an attribute or a tag.

My script effort is below also. If anyone know of any options with
XML::Simple that will help please let me know. Failing that, any
other suggestions on how to tackle the problem would be appreciated.

TIA,
Dp.

======== my script ================
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;
use XML::Simple;
use Data::Dumper;

my $fh = shift;
my $out = 'Addresses-no-phgr.xml';
my $xml = eval {XMLin($fh, SuppressEmpty => 1)};

my @addresses;

my $c = @{$xml->{'address'}};
for (my $i = 0; $i < $c; ++$i) {
        my %hash;
        my %lines;
        print $xml->{'address'}->[$i]->{'code'}."\n";
        my @add_lines;
        if ( $xml->{'address'}[$i]->{'lines'} ) {
                my $d = @{$xml->{'address'}[$i]->{'lines'}-
>{'line'}};
                for (my $l = 0; $l < $d; ++$l ) {
                        push(@add_lines, $xml->{'address'}[$i]-
>{'lines'}->{'line'}[$l] );
                }

        }

@hash{'code','record_type','address_type','Postcode','Country','number
','lines'} =
                ($xml->{'address'}[$i]->{'code'},$xml-
>{'address'}[$i]->{'record_type'},
                 $xml->{'address'}[$i]->{'address_type'},$xml-
>{'address'}[$i]->{'Postcode'},
                 $xml->{'address'}[$i]->{'Country'},$xml-
>{'address'}[$i]->{'number'},
                 [\@add_lines]);

        push @addresses,\%hash;
}

open my $ofh, '>:encoding(iso-8859-1)', $out  or die "Can't write to
$out: $!\n!";
XMLout(\@addresses,  XMLDecl => 1,
                RootName => 'Addresses',
                ValueAttr => {'lines' => 'line'},
                NoAttr => 1,
                Outputfile => $ofh,
        );

=======================

============= my best effort ==========
<?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes'?>
<Addresses>
  <anon>
    <Country>GBR</Country>
    <Postcode>EC1Y 4RX</Postcode>
    <address_type>shipping</address_type>
    <code>BJPPHO00</code>
    <lines>
      <anon>INCISIVE MEDIA</anon>
      <anon>HAYMARKET HOUSE</anon>
      <anon>28-29 HAYMARKET</anon>
      <anon>LONDON</anon>
      <anon>EC1Y 4RX</anon>
    </lines>
    <number>2577</number>
    <record_type>client</record_type>
  </anon>
  <anon>
    <Country>GBR</Country>
    <Postcode>SU1V 0AQ</Postcode>
    <address_type>shipping</address_type>
    <code>BJPUBL00</code>
    <lines>
      <anon>RIVER HOUSE</anon>
      <anon>12-14 BERRY STREET</anon>
      <anon>SURRY</anon>
      <anon>SU1V 0AQ</anon>
    </lines>
    <number>2578</number>
    <record_type>client</record_type>
  </anon>
</Addresses>
========================

=========== The data file ===========
<?xml version = "1.0" encoding= "utf-8"?>
<addresses>
        <address number="2577">
                <code>BJPPHO00</code>
                <record_type>client</record_type>
                <address_type>shipping</address_type>
                <Postcode>EC1Y 4RX</Postcode>
                <Country>GBR</Country>
                <lines>
                        <line>PIGEON MEDIA</line>
                        <line>HAYMARKET HOUSE</line>
                        <line>28-29 HAYMARKET</line>
                        <line>LONDON</line>
                        <lines>EC1Y 4RX</line>
                </lines>
        </address>
        <address number="2578">
                <code>BJPUBL00</code>
                <record_type>client</record_type>
                <address_type>shipping</address_type>
                <Postcode>SU1V 0AQ</Postcode>
                <Country>GBR</Country>
                <lines>
                        <line>RIVER HOUSE</line>
                        <line>12-14 BERRY STREET</line>
                        <line>SURREY</line>
                        <line>SU1V 0AQ</line>
                </lines>
        </address>
</addresses>
=============================
0
dermot

"Beginner"> I have been trying to use XML::Simple and I had a go with XML::Smart
"Beginner"> but I haven't been able to get the results I want.

I'd use XML::LibXML, with an XPath expression, as follows.  I'm demoing by
deleting the one that starts "BJPU", but replace that with your "0000" and
you're all set.

Note that the XPATH says "find any address node that contains a code node
whose text begins with BJPU".  And those are the ones we want to delete.

    #!/usr/bin/env perl
    use strict;

    use XML::LibXML;
    my $parser = XML::LibXML->new;
    my $doc = $parser->parse_fh(\*DATA);

    my @bad = $doc->findnodes(q{//address[.//code[starts-with(., "BJPU")]]});

    for (@bad) {
      $_->unbindNode;               # delete it!
    }

    print $doc->toString(1);

    __END__
    <?xml version = "1.0" encoding= "utf-8"?>
    <addresses>
            <address number="2577">
                    <code>BJPPHO00</code>
                    <record_type>client</record_type>
                    <address_type>shipping</address_type>
                    <Postcode>EC1Y 4RX</Postcode>
                    <Country>GBR</Country>
                    <lines>
                            <line>PIGEON MEDIA</line>
                            <line>HAYMARKET HOUSE</line>
                            <line>28-29 HAYMARKET</line>
                            <line>LONDON</line>
                            <lines>EC1Y 4RX</lines>
                    </lines>
            </address>
            <address number="2578">
                    <code>BJPUBL00</code>
                    <record_type>client</record_type>
                    <address_type>shipping</address_type>
                    <Postcode>SU1V 0AQ</Postcode>
                    <Country>GBR</Country>
                    <lines>
                            <line>RIVER HOUSE</line>
                            <line>12-14 BERRY STREET</line>
                            <line>SURREY</line>
                            <line>SU1V 0AQ</line>
                    </lines>
            </address>
    </addresses>

merlyn
12/23/2006 10:55:35 AM
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> "Beginner"> I have been trying to use XML::Simple and I had a go with XML::Smart
> "Beginner"> but I haven't been able to get the results I want.
>
> I'd use XML::LibXML, with an XPath expression, as follows.  I'm demoing by
> deleting the one that starts "BJPU", but replace that with your "0000" and
> you're all set.
>
> Note that the XPATH says "find any address node that contains a code node
> whose text begins with BJPU".  And those are the ones we want to delete.
>
>     #!/usr/bin/env perl
>     use strict;
>
>     use XML::LibXML;
>     my $parser = XML::LibXML->new;
>     my $doc = $parser->parse_fh(\*DATA);
>
>     my @bad = $doc->findnodes(q{//address[.//code[starts-with(., "BJPU")]]});

my @bad = $doc->findnodes(q{//address[starts-with(code, "BJPU")]});

Rob

0
rob
12/23/2006 12:41:09 PM

>> my @bad = $doc->findnodes(q{//address[.//code[starts-with(., "BJPU")]]});

Rob> my @bad = $doc->findnodes(q{//address[starts-with(code, "BJPU")]});

It's clear to me that myy XPath-fu is still weak.  Thanks for showing
me the better way.  At least I figured out that I needed starts-with. :)

merlyn
12/24/2006 4:19:13 AM

Rob> my @bad = $doc->findnodes(q{//address[starts-with(code, "BJPU")]});

Actualy, doesn't that require code immediately below addess?

Don't you want .//code there ?

merlyn
12/24/2006 4:19:55 AM
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Rob> my @bad = $doc->findnodes(q{//address[starts-with(code, "BJPU")]});
>
> Actualy, doesn't that require code immediately below addess?

Yes

> Don't you want .//code there ?

Almost certainly not. In the example XML <code> appeared only as a child element
of <address>. In the general case it is unlikely to reappear at a lower level
and // would force the XSLT engine to search further than was necessary.

By the way the dot is also unnecessary as it is implicit before // anywhere
except at the beginning of a path expression. (A path starting with // covers
all descendants of the document root.)

HTH & Happy Christmas

Rob

0
rob
12/24/2006 12:23:19 PM
From: "Beginner" <dermot@sciencephoto.com>
> Hi All (and a happy holiday to those that will get a break),
>
> I am trying to read in an XML file of addresses. I need to remove all
> the address data from the file where code =~ /^000/ (there are none in
> the example data below). I need to reproduce that data 'as is', so I
> need to honour the tag structure, although the order of the tags
> doesn't need to be honoured.
>
> I have been trying to use XML::Simple and I had a go with XML::Smart
> but I haven't been able to get the results I want.
>
> =========== The data file ===========
> <?xml version = "1.0" encoding= "utf-8"?>
> <addresses>
>         <address number="2577">
>                 <code>BJPPHO00</code>
>                 <record_type>client</record_type>
>                 <address_type>shipping</address_type>
>                 <Postcode>EC1Y 4RX</Postcode>
>                 <Country>GBR</Country>
>                 <lines>
>                         <line>PIGEON MEDIA</line>
>                         <line>HAYMARKET HOUSE</line>
>                         <line>28-29 HAYMARKET</line>
>                         <line>LONDON</line>
>                         <lines>EC1Y 4RX</line>
>                 </lines>
>         </address>
>         <address number="2578">
>                 <code>BJPUBL00</code>
>                 <record_type>client</record_type>
>                 <address_type>shipping</address_type>
>                 <Postcode>SU1V 0AQ</Postcode>
>                 <Country>GBR</Country>
>                 <lines>
>                         <line>RIVER HOUSE</line>
>                         <line>12-14 BERRY STREET</line>
>                         <line>SURREY</line>
>                         <line>SU1V 0AQ</line>
>                 </lines>
>         </address>
> </addresses>
> =============================

Another options is:

use XML::Rules;

my $parser = XML::Rules->new(
	style => 'filter',
	rules => [
		_default => 'raw',
			# keep as much details (order, whitespace) as possible
		code => 'raw extended',
			# keep the details, but also make the data easier
			# to access while handling the <address> tag
		address => sub {
			my $code = $_[1]->{':code'}{_content};
			if ($code =~ /^000/) {
				return;
			} else {
				return $_[0] => $_[1];
			}
		},
	],
);

$parser->filterfile($xmlfile, \*STDOUT);

__END__

HTH, Jenda
P.S.: Please use the just uploaded 0.13, not the 0.09. There was a
bug in escaping the data written to the XML while filtering.
===== Jenda@Krynicky.cz === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
	-- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery

0
Jenda
12/28/2006 8:59:52 PM

"Beginner"> "running xml2-config...failed
"Beginner"> The installed version of libxml2 not compatible with XML::LibXML."

It's not just a minimum.  There are some versions of libxml2 that are
sufficiently broken that the the author of XML::LibXML is protecting you from
them.  You probably have one of those.  See the source of the Makefile.PL
for details.

merlyn

XMl to XML

Beginner XML (returning xml)
Hello, I just have a question if this is possible? I have a ms sql database with a table. Then I put the table into a dataset object. I would like to make a method that when called from a browser collects the data in the dataset and returns raw xml becuase I thought that was what a dataset basically is....xml. Could someone point me in the right direction. I've googled and googled until I'm googled and I can't seem to find the simple answer on how to return raw xml or maybe I'm just not getting it. thanks for anything -wiley You're right ... a DataSet is basically an ...

XML::Parser XML::DOM XML::XSLT
------_=_NextPart_001_01C6E0D0.3E27D77A Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Craig and fellow VMS Perlers, You last wrote about this Fri 3/16/2001 11:24 AM, not counting your very helpful comments on Eisner/Decuserve more recently. One of my colleagues sent me an email requesting that I make XML::XSLT=20 available on VMS. perl 5.8.6, VMS 7.3-2, DECC 7.1 latest ACRTL (version 3) on Alpha XML::XSLT (version 0.48) depends on XML::Parser (version 2.34). This depends on expat (version 2.0.0). I built expat a...

Transform XML to XML
I've been trying to transform an XML document to another XML document. The original document is very large (6megs) and the application that needs to use it only needs a fraction of the data. I'm trying to take this mother-of-all XML documents and filter out unwanted nodes. I could probably do this very easily with code by running a few XPath Queries against the document, and placing the results in a new document...however...I have an interest in learning how to do this with XSL. In the past, I've done some pretty basic XML to HTML transformation ans that worked out well. This ti...

How to select Xml as Xml?
If I select Xml nodes like this from sql server; select xmlData.query('//Field[@F = "True"]') as extendedInfo from.... ..how to loop through the items in C#? I can't cast it to a System.Xml.XmlNodeList..? You can use the XmlDocument class.  There's a Load method and a LoadXml method.  One of these should get you what you want, after which you can select nodes as you need.C# <---> VB.Net Translator mm8: If I select Xml nodes like this from sql server; select xmlData.query('//Field[@F = "True"]') as extendedInfo from.... ...

sort xml in xml
Hi, How I can sort xml file in xml with VB.NetThanks,<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>  <Liste>   <Form Famille="Administration" idXhtml="" idOffice="31574" nom="ADM" desc="" />   <Form Famille="Admini" idXhtml="" idOffice="31708" nom="ADM- 54 (2000)" desc="" />   <Form Famille="communication" idXhtml="" idOffice="31709" nom="ADM- 133 (2000)" desc="" />   <Form Famille="Admini" idXhtml="" idOffice="31710" nom="ADM- 9 (2000)" desc="" />   <Form Famille="Admini" idXhtml="" idOffice="31711" no...

XML to XML transform
Hi all, I have an XML file in which I just want to change a couple of values.  So, the end result is a new file with exactly the same XML structure.  I am new to XML and XSLT, so I thought I'd start off with something simple; I created an xsl file that would just copy the source directly across without modifying the values (I can do this later, once I have the first bit figured) - <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:con="http://eviware.com/soapui/config"><xsl:template match="/"...

XML Transform to 1 XML file to another XML File
Hello All  I am a novice programmer. I want to transform 1 xml file to another xml file. I am looking for a example code where user will select source xml file and create another xml file in different file with different fields with some default validation of parsing date and default values.  Can anyone help me or let me know any available source code in C#/ASP.Net?  Ms Disha I am assuming you know xslt, if not, you would have to go look at that.  But if you do, then this document will help you out http://www.csharpfriends.com/Articles/getArticle.aspx?articleID=...

Problem loading an xml string containing xml data into XML document
 Hi all,I have a problem loading an xml string containing xml response data returned by other server(spatial server) into XML document some times becoz the returned xml response contains special chars like <, >, ', etc.Is there any way to parse this XML response string before loading into XML document. Hi Bharath, if you can't find a ready made one you can write one yourself. Parse the string that you get for the elements that it would contain and inject the CDATA element between them to allow special character. example if you have a string <childNode>This con...

XML::Parser XML::SimpleObject -> First XML parsing pls help
I took the example from http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/04/18/perlxmlqstart1.html I wanted something really simple for XML parsing that basically just reads values. But I'm stuck (again). #Here's what I'm trying to run: #!c:\perl\perl.exe use XML::Parser; use XML::SimpleObject; use strict; my $file = 'c:\perl\work\job001_card.xml'; my $parser = XML::Parser->new(ErrorContext => 2, Style => "Tree"); my $xso = XML::SimpleObject->new( $parser->parsefile($file) ); foreach my $mail ($xso->child('job_card')->children(&...

Xml Convert string to xml
Hi I have a save the file xml to database as TEXT, I would have to read the field of the db, and reading the tag of the xml Can Help me Thank's...

xml to xml applying xslt ?
I have the following that gets XML from a url and displays it within a datagrid. XmlDataDocument xmlDoc = new XmlDataDocument();xmlDoc.Load("http://mydomain.com/Search?Parameters"); XmlDataDocument xdoc = new XmlDataDocument();xdoc.DataSet.ReadXml(new StringReader(xmlDoc.InnerXml)); DataView dv = new DataView();dv = xdoc.DataSet.Tables["result"].DefaultView;dv.Sort = "price";dg1.DataSource = dv;dg1.DataBind();What I want to do now is transform the XML document to a different structurue before I bind it to the DataGrid. I have my xslt that will do the transformation (Trans.xslt); ...

XML reader, XML thingy =)
Hi all,  I am new member to this forum and a novice in .Net programming. U may find my question quite funy or silly but hope u dont mind =) =P ...Well, i'm actually taking over other people's job so I have got some "leftover" codes to be analysed. Well, I have tested on the function below. My doubt are lines numbered (1). After I removed that , the error is  This is an unexpected token. The expected token is 'EndElement'. Line 1, position 9740.---->  which is  Line 422:        While xmlrder.Read()I am wond...

How to create XML and XML with WebService
Hello...1) how to use XML and XML with Web Service with example.2) how to use read xml and write xml with coding with example.3) how to use read xml and write xml with dataset with example.thx,Tushar Poshiya       Everything about web-servicehttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/webservices/aa740685.aspx Ravi |   Share Knowledge   |   Online messengers   >>1) how to use XML and XML with Web Service with example. http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/webservices/doc/BPConformance.aspx (ASP.NET Web Services QuickS...

XML & XML Schema
 Hi Can I use XML natively instead of a XML Schema.The schema is very simple and I would like to see if it's possible to use just XML. <!--W3C Schema generated by XMLSpy v2007 (http://www.altova.com)--> <!--Please add namespace attributes, a targetNamespace attribute and import elements according to your requirements--> <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified"> <xs:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"/> <xs:element name="issue"> <xs:complexType mixed="true"> <xs:choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"> <xs:element ref="proposition"/> </xs:choice> <xs:attribute name="issueName" type="xs:string" use="required"/> <xs:attribute name="issueDate" type="xs:date" use="required"/> </xs:complexType> </xs:element> <xs:element name="proposition"> <xs:complexType mixed="true"> <xs:choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"> <xs:element ref="agreement"/> <xs:element ref="desagreement"/> <xs:element ref="clarificationrequest"/> </xs:choice> <xs:attribute name="propositionName" type="xs:string"...

xml webservices and xml-rpm
 What is difference between xml web services and xml-rpc?Sharique udddin Ahmed FarooquiWeb Developer Please mark it as answer if it resolves the issue.  XML Web Service is used to expose your system functionality over http. In XML Web Service your service is result of operating on server (in simple cases). But in RPC you use distributed computing to get service. For XML-RPC you can get more detail from http://www.xmlrpc.com/ which is quite useful. I hope it works for you.Regards, http://geekswithblogs.net/interfacemirror...

XML Webserivce or XML RPC?
Hi everyone, I have developed an asp.net application and in that application I wanted to use a web service from a company. As I first asked, if they can provide me an XML Webservice, they said yes. But right now I was asked, if it matters to access an XML RPC Webservice instead of XML Webservice. I don't know much about XML RPC. I always used XML Webserivces and accessed it via the WSDL File provided. Can anyone tell me, if .net does support this XML RPC? May I have problems, which I don't have with XML Webservices? What about security, performance, etc. Hope someone can help me, ...

Writing XML from XML policy

xml question for xml::twig

Xml schema to Xml file
Is it possible to convert xml schema to xml file.How can i do read&writexmlschema using a dataset with xml schema. I converted a xml file to xml schema in a web appliction project.Then what should be location of shema that i need to give for a dataset I mean dataset.readxmlscheme(server.mappath(??))   Please let me know I am new to this field     dataset.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("xml\ProductList.xml")) will read the xml as well as the schema of thexml file. no need to convert it into schema file while using dataset as it will automatically define the ...

Convert XML to another XML
Hi, I have an XML file, that I want to convert into another XML file (either identical to the original, or sorted, or filtered, doesn't matter). I do not want to convert it to HTML or XHTML. That, I know how to do.  I read that I have to include: <xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" omit-xml-declaration="no" indent="yes"/> But it's not working. Even the xml declarations do not appear in the output. And how do I copy the xml tags to the result? Thanks.  ...

XML to OBJECT and OBJECT to XML

PB XML or Database XML?
Hi all, I am also thinking about using PB to export XML, but wondering if PB does it better or the database does it better. We are on Oracle9i and I have already used its XML features to export a lot of xml through triggers and sprocs. For grouping Oracle works really well (through XMLAgg()), but I have to put the xml in a table and the BizTalk stuff comes to get them. Aneone have an idea which works better? Thanks. Ben Try something like this (modified from a post on Tom Kyte's blog here: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2006/01/9i-10g-version.html function getReportAsXml() ...

How do I write XML into an attr, as XML?

Web resources about - XML in, XML out - perl.beginners

XML - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
including RSS , Atom , SOAP , and XHTML . XML-based formats have become the default for many office-productivity tools, including Microsoft Office ...

Native XML Database
(by Conor O'Mahony) If you want to learn more about XML indexes in DB2, including the XML index enhancements in DB2 10 , join the DB2 pureXML ...

XML From the Inside Out XML development, XML resources, XML specifications
XML.com, where the XML community shares XML development resources and solutions, features timely news, opinions, features, and tutorials; the ...

XML developer news from XMLhack: by and for the XML community
XML developer news from XMLhack: by and for the XML community

XML Design Patterns
XMLPatterns.com - Designing Good XML Structure with Patterns.

Create your Google Sitemap Online - XML Sitemaps Generator
... Google Sitemap Generator You will be redirected to the generated sitemap details page, including number of pages, broken links list, XML file ...

The XML C parser and toolkit of Gnome
"Programmingwith libxml2 is like the thrilling embrace of an exotic stranger." MarkPilgrim Libxml2 is the XML C parser and toolkit developed ...

Legislative Documents in XML at the United States House of Representatives
Official site for XML at the United Steates House of Representatives for legislative documents

faroo_p2p: Our Web Search API now supports cross domain access for JSON, XML and RSS via CORS (Cross-Origin ...
faroo_p2p: Our Web Search API now supports cross domain access for JSON, XML and RSS via CORS (Cross-Origin Resource Sharing). http://t.

XML and JSON — Advantages and Disadvantages?
... Notation (JSON), and after looking it up, it seems like it's becoming rather popular as an alternative to the Extensible Markup Language (XML). I ...