Trying to dynamically create arrays, getting can't use string as ARRAY ref

Greets.

I have a 'config file' that contains a group name (alphanumeric) and
machine name/numbers separated by whitespace.  Each group is on it's
own line.  The file looks like this:

prod01 456 345 234
prod02 789 517 325
....etc, etc, etc...

What I am attempting to do is:
Put the file contents into an array
Pull the first entry off the array
Add the name of the array to a 'master array' list of the machine
groups
Then create another array, which would be referenced by the group
name, and contains the machines associated with the group.

Here is the code I have now that is giving me problems:

# parse the config file
foreach (@filelist){

        # for each line of the config file, place the entries
        # into a temp array
        my @temp=split(/ /);

        # pull the first entry off the array
        my $group=shift(@temp);

        # add the name of the array to the main rg array list
        push (@grouplist, $group);

        # push the rest of the entries into an array that has
        # the same name as the rg in question
        foreach (@temp){
                push (@$group, $_);
        }
}

The idea of the script as a whole is to take the config file and split
it into multiple arrays.  Once that is done, connect to each machine
and pull some files into another directory.

The script flow:
-Read the config file, put each line into an array - @temp = qw {prod1
456 345 234}

-Pull the first value from the temp array ($grp) and place it into the
master list - @master = qw {'prod1 prod2}

-Create a new array on the fly (it needs to be this way as new groups
may be created, or old ones removed) with the name of the pulled value
($grp) and place the machine names/numbers into that array - @prod1 =
qw {456 345 234} @prod02 = qw {789 517 325} etc...

-Loop through the master list, using each value as the pointer to the
individual array that contains the machines

-Connect to each machine in turn and pull the files

The script runs if I do not use strict (which I consider a Bad
Thing).  But when I run it with strict, I receive the following error:

Can't use string ("prod01") as an ARRAY ref while "strict refs" in use

Am I missing something really basic that is covered in the Llama (3rd
edition), and can anyone give me any hints?

0
jdcynical

Rather than a dynamic array,you just need to use a correct datastru,a hash.
It's maybe better to write codes as below.

[tmp]$ cat groups.txt
prod01 456 345 234
prod02 789 517 325
prod03 789 517 325
prod04 789 517 325
prod05 789 517 325

[tmp]$ cat test.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use Data::Dumper;

my %grouplist;
open HD,'groups.txt' or die $!;

while(<HD>) {
    chomp;
    my @tmp = split;
    my $groupname = shift @tmp;
    $grouplist{$groupname} = [@tmp];
}
close HD;

print Dumper \%grouplist;

__END__

[tmp]$ perl test.pl
$VAR1 = {
          'prod04' => [
                      '789',
                      '517',
                      '325'
                    ],
          'prod05' => [
                      '789',
                      '517',
                      '325'
                    ],
          'prod01' => [
                      '456',
                      '345',
                      '234'
                    ],
          'prod03' => [
                      '789',
                      '517',
                      '325'
                    ],
          'prod02' => [
                      '789',
                      '517',
                      '325'
                    ]
        };

Do you know how to loop through a hash?If not,please write back to the list.

2007/8/23, Justin The Cynical <jdcynical@gmail.com>:
> Greets.
>
> I have a 'config file' that contains a group name (alphanumeric) and
> machine name/numbers separated by whitespace.  Each group is on it's
> own line.  The file looks like this:
>
> prod01 456 345 234
> prod02 789 517 325
> ...etc, etc, etc...
>
> What I am attempting to do is:
> Put the file contents into an array
> Pull the first entry off the array
> Add the name of the array to a 'master array' list of the machine
> groups
> Then create another array, which would be referenced by the group
> name, and contains the machines associated with the group.
>
> Here is the code I have now that is giving me problems:
>
> # parse the config file
> foreach (@filelist){
>
>        # for each line of the config file, place the entries
>        # into a temp array
>        my @temp=split(/ /);
>
>        # pull the first entry off the array
>        my $group=shift(@temp);
>
>        # add the name of the array to the main rg array list
>        push (@grouplist, $group);
>
>        # push the rest of the entries into an array that has
>        # the same name as the rg in question
>        foreach (@temp){
>                push (@$group, $_);
>        }
> }
>
> The idea of the script as a whole is to take the config file and split
> it into multiple arrays.  Once that is done, connect to each machine
> and pull some files into another directory.
>
> The script flow:
> -Read the config file, put each line into an array - @temp = qw {prod1
> 456 345 234}
>
> -Pull the first value from the temp array ($grp) and place it into the
> master list - @master = qw {'prod1 prod2}
>
> -Create a new array on the fly (it needs to be this way as new groups
> may be created, or old ones removed) with the name of the pulled value
> ($grp) and place the machine names/numbers into that array - @prod1 =
> qw {456 345 234} @prod02 = qw {789 517 325} etc...
>
> -Loop through the master list, using each value as the pointer to the
> individual array that contains the machines
>
> -Connect to each machine in turn and pull the files
>
> The script runs if I do not use strict (which I consider a Bad
> Thing).  But when I run it with strict, I receive the following error:
>
> Can't use string ("prod01") as an ARRAY ref while "strict refs" in use
>
> Am I missing something really basic that is covered in the Llama (3rd
> edition), and can anyone give me any hints?
>

> --

practicalperl
8/23/2007 9:00:23 AM
On Aug 23, 2:00 am, jdcyni...@gmail.com (Justin The Cynical) wrote:
> Add the name of the array to a 'master array' list of the machine
> groups
> Then create another array, which would be referenced by the group
> name, and contains the machines associated with the group.

> The script runs if I do not use strict (which I consider a Bad
> Thing).  But when I run it with strict, I receive the following error:
>
> Can't use string ("prod01") as an ARRAY ref while "strict refs" in use

perldoc -q "variable name"

> Am I missing something really basic that is covered in the Llama (3rd
> edition),

No, because it's not basic.  You should be using a multi-dimensional
structure, as Lists User recommended.  Rather than storing the name of
an array, store the name of a key to your hash of arrays, and let the
value be a reference to an anonymous array.

my %array_named;
$array_named{foo} = [ 1, 2, 3, 4];
$array_named{bar} = [qw/ alpha beta gamma delta/];
for my $name (keys %array_named) {
   print "$name:  @{$array_named{$name}}\n";
}

See also:
perldoc perlreftut
perldoc perllol
perldoc perldsc

Hope that helps,
Paul Lalli

0
mritty
8/23/2007 10:42:17 AM
On Aug 23, 2:00 am, practicalp...@gmail.com (Lists User) wrote:

*snip*

> my %grouplist;
> open HD,'groups.txt' or die $!;
>
> while(<HD>) {
>     chomp;
>     my @tmp = split;
>     my $groupname = shift @tmp;
>     $grouplist{$groupname} = [@tmp];}
>
> close HD;

OK, thanks!

The Llama presents hashes as single value to a key, so I never thought
to make a hash of arrays.

Here is what I am using, and I think my comments are correct on how it
works:

while (<CONFIG>) {

        # Remove any extra carriage returns
        chomp;

        # for each line of the config file, place the entries
        # into a temp array
        my @temp = split;

        # pull the first entry, which is the group name, and put it
into
        # the variable $groupname to be used when creating the
'master' list
        my $groupname = shift @temp;

        # Create the hash named grouplist.  Each key is the value of
        $groupname.  The values
        # of the key are what is left of the line we are working with
contained in
        # the array @temp
        $grouplist{$groupname} = [@temp];

}
# Close the file handle on the config file
close CONFIG;

> Do you know how to loop through a hash?If not,please write back to the list.

Yes and no.

I did some searching and found the following.  I think I understand
most of it, I'm just not 100% clear on the 'for my' loops.

Or should I say that I understand them enough to lift the code from
the example and make it work with my script, but don't fully
understand the logic behind it.  :-)

for my $foo ( keys %grouplist ){

        *directory check/create code*

        # File Pull loop
        # This creates a temp variable named i.  It is used as a
counter
        # to tell the loop which entry in the array to pull the vru
        # number from.  The $# gets the number of the last value of
the
        # referenced array and uses it as the number of times to run
        # through the loop as well as the index for the array.
        for my $i ( 0 .. $#{ $grouplist{$groupname} } ) {
                *file pull code*
        }
}

Thank you everyone, this has been very helpful!

0
jdcynical
8/24/2007 2:07:11 AM
On Aug 23, 3:42 am, mri...@gmail.com (Paul Lalli) wrote:
> On Aug 23, 2:00 am, jdcyni...@gmail.com (Justin The Cynical) wrote:

*snip*

> > Can't use string ("prod01") as an ARRAY ref while "strict refs" in use
>
> perldoc -q "variable name"

Ah, OK, thanks.  I've got a bit of reading to do.  :-)

> > Am I missing something really basic that is covered in the Llama (3rd
> > edition),
>
> No, because it's not basic.  You should be using a multi-dimensional
> structure, as Lists User recommended.  Rather than storing the name of
> an array, store the name of a key to your hash of arrays, and let the
> value be a reference to an anonymous array.

Oh good, I'm not missing something obvious then.

I have redone the code and posted it for comprehension purposes.  And
after testing the script, it does seem to run a bit quicker than the
original using arrays alone.

*snip*

> See also:
> perldoc perlreftut
> perldoc perllol
> perldoc perldsc
>
> Hope that helps,
> Paul Lalli

It does, thank you again Paul.

0
jdcynical
8/24/2007 2:10:25 AM
2007/8/24, Justin The Cynical <jdcynical@gmail.com>:
> On Aug 23, 2:00 am, practicalp...@gmail.com (Lists User) wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
> > my %grouplist;
> > open HD,'groups.txt' or die $!;
> >
> > while(<HD>) {
> >     chomp;
> >     my @tmp = split;
> >     my $groupname = shift @tmp;
> >     $grouplist{$groupname} = [@tmp];}
> >
> > close HD;
> > Do you know how to loop through a hash?If not,please write back to the list.
>
> Yes and no.

Hi,

practicalperl's solution is right.He/she created a correct datastru for you.
This is the general way to loop through that hash,

for my $key (keys %grouplist) {
    print "groupname: ", $key,"\n";
    print "group content: ", "@{$grouplist{$key}}" ,"\n";
}

Because $grouplist{$key} is an anonymous array,so you need to
dereference it,saying @{
$grouplist{$key}} would do that.

All you need is to read 'perldoc perldata'.
Good luck!
0
rwwebs
8/24/2007 9:39:36 AM

Justin> The Llama presents hashes as single value to a key, so I never thought
Justin> to make a hash of arrays.

That's because (a) an arrayref is still a single value, so we haven't really
lied, so much as just simplified to what can be handled in the first 30 hours
with Perl, and (b) you *still* can't make a hash of arrays, just a hash of
arrayrefs, and that distinction is *important*.

merlyn
8/24/2007 4:11:51 PM
On Aug 24, 9:11 am, mer...@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

> Justin> The Llama presents hashes as single value to a key, so I never thought
> Justin> to make a hash of arrays.
>
> That's because (a) an arrayref is still a single value, so we haven't really
> lied, so much as just simplified to what can be handled in the first 30 hours
> with Perl, and (b) you *still* can't make a hash of arrays, just a hash of
> arrayrefs, and that distinction is *important*.

Ok, so it's not an array that is in the hash, but a "symlink" (which
is a single value) to an actual array that lives in memory alone and
has no real reference outside of the hash, correct?

0
jdcynical
8/26/2007 1:00:31 AM
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 01:00:31 +0000, Justin The Cynical wrote:
> On Aug 24, 9:11 am, mer...@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:
>> That's because (a) an arrayref is still a single value, so we haven't really
>> lied, so much as just simplified to what can be handled in the first 30 hours
>> with Perl, and (b) you *still* can't make a hash of arrays, just a hash of
>> arrayrefs, and that distinction is *important*.
>
> Ok, so it's not an array that is in the hash, but a "symlink" (which
> is a single value) to an actual array that lives in memory alone and
> has no real reference outside of the hash, correct?

Don't use the term "symlink", however tempting, or you'll confuse
yourself and others about real symlinks.  Yes, it's not an array in the
hash; it's a scalar containing a *reference* to an array, and there may or
may not be other references to that array elsewhere in the program
depending on how the reference was constructed (with the anonymous
arrayref constructor or with the reference to a named array).

--
Peter Scott
http://www.perlmedic.com/

0
Peter
8/26/2007 1:57:45 PM
Peter Scott wrote:
> Don't use the term "symlink", however tempting, or you'll confuse
> yourself and others about real symlinks.  Yes, it's not an array in the
> hash; it's a scalar containing a *reference* to an array, and there may or
> may not be other references to that array elsewhere in the program
> depending on how the reference was constructed (with the anonymous
> arrayref constructor or with the reference to a named array).

Even anonymous arrays can be accessed from more than one place.
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

use Data::Dumper;

# create an hash
my %a = ();

# populate it
$a{name} = 'a';
$a{array_ref}[0] = 'a';

# copy the hash
my %b = %a;

# display them
print '%a = ', Dumper \%a;
print '%b = ', Dumper \%b;

# change the copy
$b{name} = 'b';
$b{array_ref}[0] = 'b';

# display them
print '%a = ', Dumper \%a;
print '%b = ', Dumper \%b;

__END__

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
  Aristotle

"If you think Terrans are comprehensible, you don't understand them."
  Great Fang Talphon
0
shawnhcorey
8/26/2007 4:17:49 PM
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:17:49 -0400, Mr. Shawn H. Corey wrote:
> Peter Scott wrote:
>> Don't use the term "symlink", however tempting, or you'll confuse
>> yourself and others about real symlinks.  Yes, it's not an array in the
>> hash; it's a scalar containing a *reference* to an array, and there may or
>> may not be other references to that array elsewhere in the program
>> depending on how the reference was constructed (with the anonymous
>> arrayref constructor or with the reference to a named array).
>>

> Even anonymous arrays can be accessed from more than one place.

Right.  I phrased that badly.  The poster appeared to be wondering whether
there could be another reference to the array already in existence at the
time the arrayref was created in the hash and that was what I had in mind.

--
Peter Scott
http://www.perlmedic.com/

0
Peter
8/26/2007 4:52:23 PM
Ok, I think I more or less have it.  The true grocking of the hash,
well, that I think will come in time with reading and experience.

Thank you all for the help and pointers!

Justin

0
jdcynical

DBD::Proxy::db table_info failed: Server returned error: Failed to execute method CallMethod: Can't use string ("1") as an ARRAY ref while "strict refs" in use
------_=_NextPart_001_01C2BB46.4379CEA8 Content-Type: multipart/related; type="multipart/alternative"; boundary="----_=_NextPart_002_01C2BB46.4379CEA8" ------_=_NextPart_002_01C2BB46.4379CEA8 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----_=_NextPart_003_01C2BB46.4379CEA8" ------_=_NextPart_003_01C2BB46.4379CEA8 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm having a problem using the table_info() via ProxyServer... I'm = getting the following error messages: I am us...

Can't use string ("") as an Array ref
I'm getting the following when trying running the following code with use strict; without it, it works fine.=20 =23=21/usr/bin/perl -w=20 use strict;=20 use warnings;=20 use Data::Dumper;=20 my (=40data,=40contents);=20 =40data =3D <STDIN>; push(=40contents,map =7B =5B split/:/,=24_ =5D if/=5E=5Cw+/ =7D (sort = =40data) );=20 for(1..=24=23contents) =7B=20 print =24contents=5B=24_->=5B0=5D . =22=5Cn=22 if = defined(=24contents=5B=24_=5D->=5B0=5D);=20 =7D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - = - - - - - - - Th...

error msg : can't use string as an ARRAY ref
#!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict ; use POSIX ; # i need POSIX for some calculations not shown here # variable declarations went here open (fh1, "</path/to/filename") or die ("nope") ; # sample of layout of fh1 : 03/06/1997 sold 1000 widget1 0.230 0.00 # part number in this case is widget1; there are several dozen part numbers in a file of several hundred lines while (<fh1>) { push (@all_of_them, $_ ) ; # an array of all the records in the file my @single_line = split/ /...

lwp-rget error message ("can't use string ("URI::URL") as ARRAY ref)
I've been using lwp-rget, for instance: cyc$ lwp-rget --depth=2 --limit=100 "http://www.somesite.com/~whoever with no problems. tonight I got this msg: Can't use string ("URI::URL") as an ARRAY ref while "strict refs" in use at /usr/local/path_to_module/URI/WithBase.pm line 41. version info: This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd and: This is lwp-rget version 1.19 (libwww-perl-5.52) Any advice would be really appreciated. CYC. Hi! I have a simple program which opens each URL in a file and saves ...

Can't create dynamic array in C#
Dear Sir, I am a regular user of this site and have very good experience with this site. as all the seniors has helped me a lot for my problems. dear friends today I am in one problem and want help from u people. I am using string array to store values. but I have to take a static array. Why I am not able to take dynamic array. if any of knows how to create dynamic array in C# please help me. please don't tell me to use array list. waiting eagerly for your reply... Hardik Mehta. Software Engineer. I-link infosoft (Guj) Pvt. Ltd Ahmedabad. INDIA ...

Can't use string ("bug/create/create-guided.html.tm") as a HASH ref
- I could use some help with my Bugzilla install - I have installed the stable release of Bugzilla (2.16.5) and have customized some of the templates (which is a cool new way to do things). I am following the instructions to modify create.html.tmpl and comment.txt.tmpl to create some fields for bug entry. However, I get the following perl error message and I can't figure out why: Can't use string ("bug/create/create-guided.html.tm") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Template/Provider.pm line 663. I am new to...

Can't use string ("1") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at ./policy.sanitizer line 255.
Hi there, I am trying to figure out why the following lines are giving me an error: --- snip --- $found{filter}{$filter}{family}{$family} = 1; print keys %{ $found{filter}{$filter}{family} }; --- snip ---- here's the error Can't use string ("1") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at ../policy.sanitizer line 255. I am trying to the display all the keys for $found{filter}{$filter}{family} please Cheers, Noah On 10/9/09 Fri Oct 9, 2009 2:12 PM, "Noah" <noah-list@enabled.com> sc...

bugzilla: undef error
I'm encountering the problem described here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=300448 I'm running bugzilla 2.18.3 on fedora. The problem seems to be that a line was added to this file: template/en/default/bug/create/created.html.tmpl So I commented out this line: mailrecipients = item.mailrecipients and restarted everything, but I'm still getting the same error. I'm not sure that I understand the solution very well. Any ideas? Thanks, Bryan ...

use SDBM_File
Hi, I'm trying to tie this kind of hash into SDBM $hash_of_baseline{$hdr_user_name} = { user_name => $hdr_user_name, passwd => $hdr_user_passwd, .... .... groups => [ @info_group_names ] }; I can store it but when I read it back I get. Can't use string ("HASH(0x1db393b0)") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at I think I understand from what I've googled that I can't use SDBM for this kind of structure. I searched around and found MLDBM. ...

use SDBM_File
Hi, I'm trying to tie this kind of hash into SDBM $hash_of_baseline{$hdr_user_name} = { user_name => $hdr_user_name, passwd => $hdr_user_passwd, .... .... groups => [ @info_group_names ] }; I can store it but when I read it back I get. Can't use string ("HASH(0x1db393b0)") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at I think I understand from what I've googled that I can't use SDBM for this kind of structure. I searched around and found MLDBM. ...

Web resources about - Trying to dynamically create arrays, getting can't use string as ARRAY ref - perl.beginners

iPhone 5 A6 chip to dynamically up-clock up to 1.3GHz (and downclock too)?
Interesting video from our friends at TLDToday: If this is not just a Geekbench app glitch, it could indicate why that A6 processor is so 2X ...

iPhone 5 Lightning port dynamically reassigns pins
... of Apple's Lightning USB cable shows that the pins on the plug aren't arranged symmetrically, suggesting that the Lightning port can dynamically ...