referring to an array in an array of arrays

How can I get at an array in an array of arrays?

I'm creating the arrays using:

  $fComments[$i++] = [ @comments ];

Now I want to get back what I put in:

  print "$fComments[0]\n";

but this prints ARRAY(0x107671f0).  How do I follow that pointer?

(I really think we need a pre-beginners list...  =)

TIA.

- B

0
Bryan_R_Harris

You can try something like this:

  print "@{$fComments[0]}\n";

Which will attempt to dereference the array at $fComments[0].

How can I get at an array in an array of arrays?

I'm creating the arrays using:

  $fComments[$i++] = [ @comments ];

Now I want to get back what I put in:

  print "$fComments[0]\n";

but this prints ARRAY(0x107671f0).  How do I follow that pointer?

(I really think we need a pre-beginners list...  =)

TIA.

- B

tjohnson
5/28/2002 9:57:46 PM
Bryan R Harris wrote:

> How can I get at an array in an array of arrays?
>
> I'm creating the arrays using:
>
>   $fComments[$i++] = [ @comments ];
>
> Now I want to get back what I put in:
>
>   print "$fComments[0]\n";

print "@{$fComments[0]}\n";

John
--
use Perl;
program

- B

__________________

You can try something like this:

  print "@{$fComments[0]}\n";

Which will attempt to dereference the array at $fComments[0].

How can I get at an array in an array of arrays?

I'm creating the arrays using:

  $fComments[$i++] = [ @comments ];

Now I want to get back what I put in:

  print "$fComments[0]\n";

but this prints ARRAY(0x107671f0).  How do I follow that pointer?

(I really think we need a pre-beginners list...  =)

TIA.

- B

Bryan_R_Harris

Arrays, Arrays, Arrays
I mainly come from a JScript classic ASP background and I'm liking both C#.net and JScript.net. Now I have to say... "What's happened to arrays?" They used to be so flexible and easy to use. Here are my quick questions... Am I allowed to create an array with a non specified length so that I can add to it? If not then how can I modify an array's length? Can I create an array with a named index eg myArray["apple"] = "tasty"; or is the hash table the equivalent for this now? The classic array methods and properties like pop(), push(), length etc... are ...

Concatenating arrays from arrays of arrays
Hello - I am trying to accumulate items in a flat list (array) by concatenating on to it the scalars contained in arrays which in turn are contained in arrays. The data is to be read in from a file rather than existing as literals in my code. Everything I try either crashes the computer or gives me an array of arrays instead of a flat list. I have been programming in Unicon which has a concatenate operator, but Perl makes very heavy weather of nested list management. Should I switch to Lisp, or is there a way of doing what I want to do in Perl? Regards _John Sampson_ On...

How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays?
How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > -----Original Message----- > From: Angerstein [mailto:ang@nmc-m.dtag.de] > Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 6:12 AM > To: beginners@perl.org > Subject: How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > > > How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? $ perl -d -e 1 ..... DB<1> @aoa = ([qw(foo bar baz)]) << create array of arrays DB<2> x @aoa 0 ARRAY(0x80f82dc) 0 'foo' 1 'bar' 2 'baz' DB<3> unshift @{$aoa[0]}, 'qu...

array of arrays
Hi. =20 Im using a multidimensional array in the following way: $array[$i][$j][$k] =3D [ @list ]; where, @list is a 2-D array ie. = $list[][]. How do I access the individual elements of the array @list once Ive put it = into the array @array? Thanks. -ty On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 02:28:41PM -0600, Tyler Cruickshank wrote: > $array[$i][$j][$k] = [ @list ]; where, @list is a 2-D array ie. $list[][]. > > How do I access the individual elements of the array @list once Ive put it > into the array @array? $array[$i][$j][$k][$l][$m] eq $list[$l][$m] Howev...

Array of Arrays
Hi, I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which needs to be passed to Oracle database to minimize the round trips to hte server. I was successful in sending simple arrays so far but no idea on how to create array of arrays in PB. I have used structures to simulate this but looks like I can't send the structure to Oracle. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks, Anil Please don't cross-post. On 3 Mar 2005 14:02:47 -0800, Anil wrote: >Hi, > >I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which >needs to be passed to Oracle database t...

Array of Array.
How is possible to declare a DYNAMIC array of array ? I need something like a dynamic hash table whose pages grow up dynamically too (each one can have different number of elements). In other words, a matrix that can be dynamic in both dimension. example: [1,2,3...] [3,4..] [5] [6,7,8,9...] [.] .. .. .. Have you considered using a DataStore? -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] SDN CodeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com "Marco Meoni - News" <mmeoni@usl4.toscana.it> wrote in message news:401ba036$1@forums-2-dub... > How ...

Array of Arrays
Hi, I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which needs to be passed to Oracle database to minimize the round trips to hte server. I was successful in sending simple arrays so far but no idea on how to create array of arrays in PB. I have used structures to simulate this but looks like I can't send the PB structure to Oracle. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks, Anil PB 11 or 12 I believe will have this native. <Anil> wrote in message news:422789a4.721c.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi, > > I am looking for a way to create an array of ar...

An array of arrays
Could anybody help me out here? Here's the message I just got from a guy I know: ----------- I was wondering if you know how to create and access an array of arrays in Perl. Basically I'm parsing an exported text file containing e-mails and I think I want to move some fields into arrays until I'm ready to do my report. Here basically is what I'm looking at doing: ^ | | Array 1 (messages) | | v <------ Array 2 -------> (message fields:FROM, TO, CC, etc, sensitivity, etc) I want to be able to search through the first array to count how many messag...

Array of arrays
Hi I'm trying to return from a web service a array of arrays, one of the arrays is a array of objects, which I tested separately and it's working fine, and another array of integer and another of strings. When I run the web service I got this:You must implement a default accessor on System.Array because it inherits from ICollectionDefault accessor what that means? Thank you very much.  As Heinlein said "specialization is for insects" explore beyond the universe. Could you pls post the relevant code ? hi rushan thank you for the reply the code is here:  ...

array of arrays
Hi, I have a simple question: how do I access an array in an array? @array = (@array1, array2); ### unless this is wrong... the idea behind it is, that I have a long list, and want to put all 25 entries in a seperate array in that big array. later on I want to be able to read one specific array at a certain position... -- cheers alex mailto:Keex@gmx.de you need to learn about references. read the: perldoc perllol here is the jist though. @all = (\@array1, \@array2 ... ); # ... so on to access first array and first element...

[@array] and \@array
Given the case, my @array = (1,2,3,4); my $var1 = [@array]; my $var2 = \@array; What's the difference between $var1 and $var2? Are they all refered to @array? Thanks guys. On 3/22/07, Jm lists <practicalperl@gmail.com> wrote: > Given the case, > > my @array = (1,2,3,4); > my $var1 = [@array]; > my $var2 = \@array; > > What's the difference between $var1 and $var2? > Are they all refered to @array? > Thanks guys. $var2 is a reference to @array. $var1 is a reference to new array. Observe #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use war...

reference of an array into an array
Hello together, I try to write some arrays into arrays using references. my ($a, $b, $c, @mytemp, $myref, @my_globael_array) while(<$myfile>) { ($a, $b $c ) = getparameter(); @mytemp = ($a, $b, $c); $myref = \@mytemp; push(@my_global_array, $myref); } But if I dismantle @my_global_array I get only the last entry, the last array. Where is the problem? Thank you all Christian -- GRATIS! Movie-FLAT mit über 300 Videos. Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome On 2010-11-04 10:16, Christian Stalp wrote: > Hello to...

extracting elements from arrays of arrays of arrays ;-)
Hiya All, I hope you'll forgive this oo perl rookie for asking a routine question. I'm not new to perl, but the bioperl module I'm working on is giving me a headache! ;-) Let's say I have this: my @array = qw(12 56 41 23); my $array_ref = \@array; # where $var1, $var2, and $var3 are other array references. my $ref = [$var1, $var2, $array_ref, $var3 ]; my @object = (); push @object, $ref; QUESTION: How do I obtain the array $array_ref refers to in this situtation? Let's say I want to give @new the values in @array. Thank many thanks for you...

Manipulating reference to array of array references
--f46d044518631f2d0204b21a85fd Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Dear all, #!/usr/bin/env perl #dummy.pl use strict; use warnings; use Data::Dumper; my $ref_to_AoA = [ [ "fred", "barney",undef,"pebbles", "bambam", "dino", ], [ "homer",undef,"bart",undef, "marge", "maggie", ], [ "george", "jane",undef, "elroy",undef,"judy", ], ]; print Dumper $ref_to_AoA; print $ref_to_AoA->[0]->[0]; [mohan...

Web resources about - referring to an array in an array of arrays - perl.beginners

ITV - Downton Abbey Series 5: "I was referring to companionship!" - YouTube
The Dowager has some valuable advise for Isobel on matters of the heart. Downton Abbey returns to ITV on Sunday 21st September at 9pm. For more ...

Tax Office denies referring to underperformers as 'duds'
The Tax Office has angrily rejected reports its officials referred to underperforming public servants as duds. It told its 23,000-strong workforce ...

Rapper 360 defends Q&A comments about Aussie flag: 'If ur not a racist I was not referring to you'
Successful rapper 360 has defended his comments on Monday night's Q&A program about the Australian flag and said he'd like to see 'more proud ...

Ancient text has Jesus referring to 'my wife'
... professor has unveiled a fourth-century fragment of papyrus she said is the only existing ancient text quoting Jesus explicitly referring to ...

Pope sparks Turkish ire by referring to Armenian 'genocide' on centenary of slaughter - CTV News
Pope Francis on Sunday called the slaughter of Armenians by Ottoman Turks 'the first genocide of the 20th century' and urged the international ...

Niqab Controversy: Judge Struck Down Ban Without Referring To Charter
When Federal Court Judge Keith Boswell ruled last month that a woman could wear a niqab while taking her oath of Canadian citizenship, supporters ...

‘Respectfully, I think he’s just referring to the fact that he can see your breasts.’
This may not happen to men, but many a woman has put on an outfit and discovered later that it is more sheer than she realized in the dim light ...

Australian government to stop referring to East Jerusalem as "occupied"
Australian government to stop referring to East Jerusalem as "occupied"

Despite Its Reputation for Referring Traffic, Pinterest Is Blocking All Sorts of Links
In its short life as a top-tier Web site, Pinterest has earned much acclaim for sending gobs of good traffic to other sites. People see pretty ...