On Windows 7: Strawberry Perl Portable + Glade + GTK ?

--001a11440f0201e752055fb38026

I am trying to set up a development environment on Windows 7, to use Perl
and Glade.

This environment needs to reside as a collection of directories on a shared
network drive (say e.g., X:) which can also be accessed by users of my
code, and it must avoid using C: (as much as possible).

I have copied Strawberry Perl Portable 5.26.1.1 (64bit) (
http://strawberryperl.com/releases.html) to, say, X:\Strawberry\, and my
Perl code to X:\code\, and it all runs fine (in a .bat shell window).

I've installed Glade (Glade 3.8.5,
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/glade/3.8/) to X:\Glade\, and
it runs okay and I can create the .glade file okay. (Only I will be using
Glade, not my end users.)

Now the tricky part (for me at least).

I want to set up whatever else I need to be able to write Perl to add a GUI
for my existing Perl code using the Glade file I created. (use Glib ...;
use Gtk2 ...; etc.)

(It's the setup part I need help with, not writing the Perl code.)

I have reviewed a lot of web pages that contain install guidance, but I am
still a little lost about how to integrate GTK in this situation, and I am
seeking any advice on the best way to proceed.

I guess I need (at least) a GTK+ or GTK2 runtime environment that works
with Strawberry and Glade, plus setting up Windows environment variables
properly. (?)

I would really like to stick with Strawberry and Glade if possible.

Strawberry has build tools, so I am not adverse to compiling if necessary,
but I would prefer to avoid that if possible and to just get some
appropriate GTK binaries, plus some set up guidance.

I need to avoid impact to C:, so e.g., installing MSYS2 is not feasible in
this situation.

Thanks very much for any help.

- Peter

trawberry Perl Portable 5.26.1.1 (64bit) (<a href=3D"http://strawberryperl.=
com/releases.html">http://strawberryperl.com/releases.html</a>) to, say, X:=
\Strawberry\, and my Perl code to X:\code\, and it all runs fine (in a .bat=
 shell window).
led Glade (Glade 3.8.5, <a href=3D"http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/=
win32/glade/3.8/">http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/glade/3.8/<=
/a>) to X:\Glade\, and it runs okay and I can create the .glade file okay. =
(Only I will be using Glade, not my end users.)
part (for me at least).
p whatever else I need to be able to write Perl to add a GUI for my existin=
g Perl code using the Glade file I created. (use Glib ...;  use Gtk2 ...; e=

writing the Perl code.)

 a lot of web pages that contain install guidance, but I am still a little =
lost about how to integrate GTK in this situation, and I am seeking any adv=
=3D"margin:0px">I guess I need (at least) a GTK+ or GTK2 runtime environmen=
t that works with Strawberry and Glade, plus setting up Windows environment=
 variables properly. (?)
like to stick with Strawberry and Glade if possible.
build tools, so I am not adverse to compiling if necessary, but I would pre=
fer to avoid that if possible and to just get some appropriate GTK binaries=
, plus some set up guidance.
 impact to C:, so e.g., installing MSYS2 is not feasible in this situation.
h for any help.

--001a11440f0201e752055fb38026--
0
peter

> I am trying to set up a development environment on Windows 7, to use Perl
> and Glade.
> This environment needs to reside as a collection of directories on a
> shared network drive (say e.g., X:) which can also be accessed by users of
> my code, and it must avoid using C: (as much as possible).
>
> I have copied Strawberry Perl Portable 5.26.1.1 (64bit)
> (http://strawberryperl.com/releases.html) to, say, X:\Strawberry\, and my
> Perl code to X:\code\, and it all runs fine (in a .bat shell window).
> I've installed Glade (Glade 3.8.5,
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/glade/3.8/) to X:\Glade\,
> and it runs okay and I can create the .glade file okay. (Only I will be
> using Glade, not my end users.)
>
> Now the tricky part (for me at least).
> I want to set up whatever else I need to be able to write Perl to add a
> GUI for my existing Perl code using the Glade file I created. (use Glib
> ...; use Gtk2 ...; etc.)
> (It's the setup part I need help with, not writing the Perl code.)
> I have reviewed a lot of web pages that contain install guidance, but I am
> still a little lost about how to integrate GTK in this situation, and I am
> seeking any advice on the best way to proceed.
> I guess I need (at least) a GTK+ or GTK2 runtime environment that works
> with Strawberry and Glade, plus setting up Windows environment variables
> properly. (?)
>
> I would really like to stick with Strawberry and Glade if possible.
> Strawberry has build tools, so I am not adverse to compiling if necessary,
> but I would prefer to avoid that if possible and to just get some
> appropriate GTK binaries, plus some set up guidance.
> I need to avoid impact to C:, so e.g., installing MSYS2 is not feasible in
> this situation.
> Thanks very much for any help.
> - Peter

Hi Peter,

Not sure if it's what you're after, but I have ppm packages for a number of
Glib, Gtk2 and Gtk3 modules at:

http://www.sisyphusion.tk/ppmindex.html

Looking at that list of available modules, I see:

Cairo-GObject-1.004
Cairo-1.106
Glib-IO-0.001
Glib-Object-Introspection-0.044
Glib-1.325
Gnome2-Canvas-1.002
Gtk2-GladeXML-1.007
Gtk2-WebKit-0.09
Gtk2-1.24992
Gtk3-0.033
HTTP-Soup-0.02
Image-LibRSVG-0.07
Pango-1.227

I think Strawberry's ppm utility is aware of this ppm repository, so you can
install them with (eg) :

ppm install Glib

If Strawberry's ppm utility is unaware of that repo (and therefore can't
find the ppm packages) just run"

ppm repo add http://www.sisyphusion.tk/ppm

These packages are built against Gtk2-2.24.28 (Glade-3.20.0), and they are
set to ignore any Gtk2 and Glade installations on the local machine.

If, having installed them, they turn out to be unsuitable then you can
remove them by running (eg):

ppm remove Glib

For some of those modules, "ppm install" will install additional files by
running a post installation script, and I'm not sure that 'ppm remove'
actually removes those "additional" files.
However, the packages install no files that will clash with other apps, so
there's really no need to run 'ppm remove' anyway and, in any case, manual
removal is a fairly simple process.

If you think this might be useful to you, but strike problems, just let me
know and I'll help out where I can.

Cheers,
Rob
0