help with array within another array

Hi: I just can't seem to figure this out.
I am trying to declare two associative array
(%nodeowner and %nodeseverity) within another array
called %SESSION

For example
%nodeowner = ("node1", "john", "node2", "nancy");
%nodeseverity = ("node1", 5, "node2", 10);

How do I declare %SESSION containing %nodeowner and
%nodeseverity. And how do I access say the value John
give node1 from the nodeowner array that is in
SESSION?

TIA
Ravi

rmalghan

One correction: SESSION is just a single dimensional
array @SESSION.

Thanks
Ravi
--- Ravi Malghan <rmalghan@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi: I just can't seem to figure this out.
> I am trying to declare two associative array
> (%nodeowner and %nodeseverity) within another array
> called %SESSION
>
> For example
> %nodeowner = ("node1", "john", "node2", "nancy");
> %nodeseverity = ("node1", 5, "node2", 10);
>
> How do I declare %SESSION containing %nodeowner and
> %nodeseverity. And how do I access say the value
> John
> give node1 from the nodeowner array that is in
> SESSION?
>
> TIA
> Ravi

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> beginners-help@perl.org
> http://learn.perl.org/

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/
0
rmalghan
2/27/2007 7:59:06 PM
well first of all you're using the syntax for non-associative arrays
(normal @arrays). your hash declarations should look like this:

%nodeowner = (node1 => "john", node2 => "nancy");
%nodeseverity = (node1 => 5, node2 => 10);

as for %SESSION, you could make a hash with reference to hash values:
%SESSION = (owner => \%nodeowner, severity => \%nodeseverity);

and access john like this:
$SESSION{owner}->{node1};

(without understanding any more of what you're doing than you have
written here) it seems like you might want to consider using the node
identifier as the first key in %SESSION, and make the value a
reference to hash keyed by the owner and severity:

%SESSION = (
	node1 => {
		owner => "john",
		severity => 5,
	},
	node2 => {
		owner => "nancy",
		severity => 10,
	}
}

*shrug*. seems like a more natural way to refer to it to me.
$SESSION{node1}->{owner} = john
$SESSION{node1}->{severity} = 5,
etc.

take a look at perldoc perlreftut

-Neal
On Feb 27, 2007, at 11:53 AM, Ravi Malghan wrote:

> Hi: I just can't seem to figure this out.
> I am trying to declare two associative array
> (%nodeowner and %nodeseverity) within another array
> called %SESSION
>
> For example
> %nodeowner = ("node1", "john", "node2", "nancy");
> %nodeseverity = ("node1", 5, "node2", 10);
>
> How do I declare %SESSION containing %nodeowner and
> %nodeseverity. And how do I access say the value John
> give node1 from the nodeowner array that is in
> SESSION?
>
> TIA
> Ravi

neal
2/27/2007 8:03:24 PM
ah. well in that case

@SESSION = ( \%nodeowner, \%nodeseverity );

On Feb 27, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Ravi Malghan wrote:

> One correction: SESSION is just a single dimensional
> array @SESSION.
>
> Thanks
> Ravi
> --- Ravi Malghan <rmalghan@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi: I just can't seem to figure this out.
>> I am trying to declare two associative array
>> (%nodeowner and %nodeseverity) within another array
>> called %SESSION
>>
>> For example
>> %nodeowner = ("node1", "john", "node2", "nancy");
>> %nodeseverity = ("node1", 5, "node2", 10);
>>
>> How do I declare %SESSION containing %nodeowner and
>> %nodeseverity. And how do I access say the value
>> John
>> give node1 from the nodeowner array that is in
>> SESSION?
>>
>> TIA
>> Ravi

>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> beginners-help@perl.org
>> http://learn.perl.org/

neal
2/27/2007 8:04:56 PM
Ravi Malghan wrote:
> Hi: I just can't seem to figure this out.
> I am trying to declare two associative array
> (%nodeowner and %nodeseverity) within another array
> called %SESSION
>
> For example
> %nodeowner = ("node1", "john", "node2", "nancy");
> %nodeseverity = ("node1", 5, "node2", 10);
>
> How do I declare %SESSION containing %nodeowner and
> %nodeseverity. And how do I access say the value John
> give node1 from the nodeowner array that is in
> SESSION?

$ perl -le'
my %nodeowner    = qw( node1 john node2 nancy );
my %nodeseverity = qw( node1 5    node2 10 );

my %SESSION = reverse %nodeowner, %nodeseverity;

print $SESSION{ john };
'
node1

John
certain sorts of tools at low cost and in short order.       -- Larry Wall
0
krahnj
2/27/2007 8:13:52 PM
what am I doing wrong here when trying to access the
value john for node1
=========
$SESSION{FirstRun} = 1;
%nodeowner = ("node1", "john", "node2", "nancy");
push(@SESSION, %nodeowner);

print "node1: $SESSION{$nodeowner{node1}}\n";
==========
Thanks
Ravi
--- Neal Clark <neal.clark@gmail.com> wrote:

> ah. well in that case
>
> @SESSION = ( \%nodeowner, \%nodeseverity );
>
> On Feb 27, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Ravi Malghan wrote:
>
> > One correction: SESSION is just a single
> dimensional
> > array @SESSION.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Ravi
> > --- Ravi Malghan <rmalghan@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi: I just can't seem to figure this out.
> >> I am trying to declare two associative array
> >> (%nodeowner and %nodeseverity) within another
> array
> >> called %SESSION
> >>
> >> For example
> >> %nodeowner = ("node1", "john", "node2", "nancy");
> >> %nodeseverity = ("node1", 5, "node2", 10);
> >>
> >> How do I declare %SESSION containing %nodeowner
> and
> >> %nodeseverity. And how do I access say the value
> >> John
> >> give node1 from the nodeowner array that is in
> >> SESSION?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >> Ravi

> > ______________
> >> Now that's room service!  Choose from over
> 150,000
> >> hotels
> >> in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel to find
> your
> >> fit.
> >> http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097
> >>
> >> --
> >> For additional commands, e-mail:
> >> beginners-help@perl.org
> >> http://learn.perl.org/

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> beginners-help@perl.org
> > http://learn.perl.org/

rmalghan
2/27/2007 8:24:52 PM
On 2/27/07, Ravi Malghan <rmalghan@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi: I just can't seem to figure this out.
> I am trying to declare two associative array

Just call them hashes, everybody else does.

> (%nodeowner and %nodeseverity) within another array
> called %SESSION
>
> For example
> %nodeowner = ("node1", "john", "node2", "nancy");
> %nodeseverity = ("node1", 5, "node2", 10);

It is much more clear to write this as

my %nodeowner = (
    node1 => "john",
    node2 => "nancy"
);
my %nodeseverity = (
    node1 => 5,
    node2 => 10
);

In Perl 5 the '=>' operator is just a fancy "," that treats the word
on the left like a string.  Also note the use of the 'my' keyword to
make these variables lexical in scope.

> How do I declare %SESSION containing %nodeowner and
> %nodeseverity. And how do I access say the value John
> give node1 from the nodeowner array that is in
> SESSION?
snip

You can do it like by taking a reference (see perldoc perlref) of each hash:

my %session = (
    nodeseverity => \%nodeseverity,
    nodeowner => \%nodeowner
);

But normally you wouldn't; you would just create %session (avoid all
uppercase variable names, they look like file handles to most Perl
programmers) in a nested manner:

my %session = (
    nodeowner => {
        node1 => "john",
        node2 => "nancy"
    },
    nodeseverity {
        node1 => 5,
        node2 => 10
    }
);

You can then access the values like this

print "$session{nodeower}{node1}\n";

You can nest hashes pretty much as far as you want.  See the Hashes of
Hashes section of perldoc perldsc for more deatailed information.

In any case you should think very carefully about how you want to
structure this data.  Based on the names and type of data you shown it
looks like an array of hashes would be better suited to your needs:

my @session = (
    { owner => 'john', severity => 5 },
    { owner => 'nancy', severity => 10 }
);

By doing it this way you can easily iterate over the nodes by saying

for my $node (@session) {
    print "the owner of this session is $node->{owner} and its
severity is $node->{severity}\n"
}

The issue is your use of parallel keys (node1, node2).  Here is an
example of the code above with your current data structure:

for my $key (sort keys %{$session{nodeowner}}) {
    print "the owner of this session is $session{nodeowner}{$key} and
its severity is $session{nodeseverity}{$key}\n";
}

Not only is it uglier, it is buggy: what if there are more keys in
nodeseverity than in nodeowner?  A safer way (that still uses the hash
of hashes structure instead of the array of hashes) would be to swap
the order of the keys like this:

my %session = (
    node1 => { owner => 'john', severity => 5 },
    node2 => { owner => 'nancy', severity => 10 }
);

The code would then look like this:

for my $key (sort keys %session) {
    print "the owner of this session ($key) is $session{$key}{owner}
and its severity is $session{$key}{severity}\n";
}
0
chas
2/27/2007 8:25:33 PM
you are working with two different variables.

On Feb 27, 2007, at 12:24 PM, Ravi Malghan wrote:

> what am I doing wrong here when trying to access the
> value john for node1
> =========
> $SESSION{FirstRun} = 1;

this line creates a _hash_, %SESSION with one element (keyed by
FirstRun, value is 1).

> %nodeowner = ("node1", "john", "node2", "nancy");
> push(@SESSION, %nodeowner);

here you're pushing to an array that perl has never heard of,
@SESSION, so perl goes ahead and makes an empty one for you before it
pushes your hash to it. you end up with an array of one element where
$SESSION[0] = %nodeowner

> print "node1: $SESSION{$nodeowner{node1}}\n";

the value of $nodeowner{node1} is 'john', so here you are trying to
access the %SESSION hash's key 'john', but it doesn't exist, the only
key is 'FirstRun'.

sorry about saying you had the wrong syntax earlier, i thought it
was. i never knew you could do hashes with the comma operator. neat.
i don't think its very clear syntactically but if it works it works :-)

-neal

> ==========
> Thanks
> Ravi
> --- Neal Clark <neal.clark@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ah. well in that case
>>
>> @SESSION = ( \%nodeowner, \%nodeseverity );
>>
>> On Feb 27, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Ravi Malghan wrote:
>>
>>> One correction: SESSION is just a single
>> dimensional
>>> array @SESSION.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Ravi

>> array

>> and

>>> ______________
>> 150,000
>> your

>>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> beginners-help@perl.org
>>> http://learn.perl.org/

> ______________
> Don't get soaked.  Take a quick peak at the forecast

neal

Arrays, Arrays, Arrays
I mainly come from a JScript classic ASP background and I'm liking both C#.net and JScript.net. Now I have to say... "What's happened to arrays?" They used to be so flexible and easy to use. Here are my quick questions... Am I allowed to create an array with a non specified length so that I can add to it? If not then how can I modify an array's length? Can I create an array with a named index eg myArray["apple"] = "tasty"; or is the hash table the equivalent for this now? The classic array methods and properties like pop(), push(), length etc... are ...

array within array
------_=_NextPart_001_01C81A3A.232A720E Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hey all, =20 I'm new with Perl and need help with this simple script. I'm still playing around with the script below to get a feel for Perl. My script below is incomplete and I'm doing an array within an array which is incorrect. Please help. =20 =20 Here's what I want to do; I have to flat files (pipe delimited, export from a database) that I want to parse through and assign variables for each column. Basically, I wa...

referring to an array in an array of arrays
How can I get at an array in an array of arrays? I'm creating the arrays using: $fComments[$i++] = [ @comments ]; Now I want to get back what I put in: print "$fComments[0]\n"; but this prints ARRAY(0x107671f0). How do I follow that pointer? (I really think we need a pre-beginners list... =) TIA. - B You can try something like this: print "@{$fComments[0]}\n"; Which will attempt to dereference the array at $fComments[0]. -----Original Message----- From: Bryan R Harris [mailto:Bryan_R_Harris@raytheon.com] Sent: Tue...

Concatenating arrays from arrays of arrays
Hello - I am trying to accumulate items in a flat list (array) by concatenating on to it the scalars contained in arrays which in turn are contained in arrays. The data is to be read in from a file rather than existing as literals in my code. Everything I try either crashes the computer or gives me an array of arrays instead of a flat list. I have been programming in Unicon which has a concatenate operator, but Perl makes very heavy weather of nested list management. Should I switch to Lisp, or is there a way of doing what I want to do in Perl? Regards _John Sampson_ On...

How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays?
How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > -----Original Message----- > From: Angerstein [mailto:ang@nmc-m.dtag.de] > Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 6:12 AM > To: beginners@perl.org > Subject: How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > > > How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? $ perl -d -e 1 ..... DB<1> @aoa = ([qw(foo bar baz)]) << create array of arrays DB<2> x @aoa 0 ARRAY(0x80f82dc) 0 'foo' 1 'bar' 2 'baz' DB<3> unshift @{$aoa[0]}, 'qu...

Array of Arrays
Hi, I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which needs to be passed to Oracle database to minimize the round trips to hte server. I was successful in sending simple arrays so far but no idea on how to create array of arrays in PB. I have used structures to simulate this but looks like I can't send the PB structure to Oracle. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks, Anil PB 11 or 12 I believe will have this native. <Anil> wrote in message news:422789a4.721c.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi, > > I am looking for a way to create an array of ar...

Array of Array.
How is possible to declare a DYNAMIC array of array ? I need something like a dynamic hash table whose pages grow up dynamically too (each one can have different number of elements). In other words, a matrix that can be dynamic in both dimension. example: [1,2,3...] [3,4..] [5] [6,7,8,9...] [.] .. .. .. Have you considered using a DataStore? -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] SDN CodeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com "Marco Meoni - News" <mmeoni@usl4.toscana.it> wrote in message news:401ba036$1@forums-2-dub... > How ...

[@array] and \@array
Given the case, my @array = (1,2,3,4); my $var1 = [@array]; my $var2 = \@array; What's the difference between $var1 and $var2? Are they all refered to @array? Thanks guys. On 3/22/07, Jm lists <practicalperl@gmail.com> wrote: > Given the case, > > my @array = (1,2,3,4); > my $var1 = [@array]; > my $var2 = \@array; > > What's the difference between $var1 and $var2? > Are they all refered to @array? > Thanks guys. $var2 is a reference to @array. $var1 is a reference to new array. Observe #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use war...

Array of Arrays
Hi, I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which needs to be passed to Oracle database to minimize the round trips to hte server. I was successful in sending simple arrays so far but no idea on how to create array of arrays in PB. I have used structures to simulate this but looks like I can't send the structure to Oracle. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks, Anil Please don't cross-post. On 3 Mar 2005 14:02:47 -0800, Anil wrote: >Hi, > >I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which >needs to be passed to Oracle database t...

array of arrays
Hi, I have a simple question: how do I access an array in an array? @array = (@array1, array2); ### unless this is wrong... the idea behind it is, that I have a long list, and want to put all 25 entries in a seperate array in that big array. later on I want to be able to read one specific array at a certain position... -- cheers alex mailto:Keex@gmx.de you need to learn about references. read the: perldoc perllol here is the jist though. @all = (\@array1, \@array2 ... ); # ... so on to access first array and first element...

Array of arrays
Hi I'm trying to return from a web service a array of arrays, one of the arrays is a array of objects, which I tested separately and it's working fine, and another array of integer and another of strings. When I run the web service I got this:You must implement a default accessor on System.Array because it inherits from ICollectionDefault accessor what that means? Thank you very much.  As Heinlein said "specialization is for insects" explore beyond the universe. Could you pls post the relevant code ? hi rushan thank you for the reply the code is here:  ...

An array of arrays
Could anybody help me out here? Here's the message I just got from a guy I know: ----------- I was wondering if you know how to create and access an array of arrays in Perl. Basically I'm parsing an exported text file containing e-mails and I think I want to move some fields into arrays until I'm ready to do my report. Here basically is what I'm looking at doing: ^ | | Array 1 (messages) | | v <------ Array 2 -------> (message fields:FROM, TO, CC, etc, sensitivity, etc) I want to be able to search through the first array to count how many messag...

array of arrays
Hi. =20 Im using a multidimensional array in the following way: $array[$i][$j][$k] =3D [ @list ]; where, @list is a 2-D array ie. = $list[][]. How do I access the individual elements of the array @list once Ive put it = into the array @array? Thanks. -ty On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 02:28:41PM -0600, Tyler Cruickshank wrote: > $array[$i][$j][$k] = [ @list ]; where, @list is a 2-D array ie. $list[][]. > > How do I access the individual elements of the array @list once Ive put it > into the array @array? $array[$i][$j][$k][$l][$m] eq $list[$l][$m] Howev...

Adding array to another array
Hi people :) I have two web methods that are returning two different arrays from web service.Now, is there a possibility that I add those returning arrays to one completely new array? How should I do this? My methods are returning arrays of custom structures.    Break Down the Wall  I'm going to assume Array and not an ArrayList or something like that. Just use the Array.Copy() method.______________________________________Robert Lindley | Sr. Software Engineer - MCP, MCADASTRA Innovations, Ltd. - Better Solutions by Design.---------------------------------...

Web resources about - help with array within another array - perl.beginners

Colorado Springs Shooting: An Act Of Domestic Terrorism
Friday’s attack on Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs highlights the ever-growing problem that anti-gun control advocates continually ignore: ...

Cyber Monday Is Coming: Are Online Sales Better Than Black Friday?
Move over Black Friday! Cyber Monday is when all the cool kids shop these days. The days of waiting in line outside Best Buy from midnight to ...

COP21: Paris climate deal 'more likely' after terror attacks
BBC News COP21: Paris climate deal 'more likely' after terror attacks BBC News Nearly 150 global leaders are gathering in Paris on Sunday ...

Newborn in Stable Condition After Being Found ‘Buried Alive’ in Compton; Information Sought
Detectives were seeking information Saturday after discovering a days-old newborn that had been “buried alive” near a riverbed in Compton, according ...

Turkey, EU meet on refugee crisis
European Union leaders will offer Turkey cash and a boost for its membership bid in exchange for its cooperation with the migrant crisis at a ...

Tutankhamun's tomb is hiding Queen Nefertiti behind the walls reveal radar images
Eygyptologists believe they may have found the final resting place of the lost Queen Nefertiti, the supposed stepmother of boy-king Tutankhaumun ...

Killing of Pro-Kurdish Lawyer Sparks Protest - Al Jazeera America
Tahir Elci, a human rights defender, had faced a criminal charge for speaking in defense of Kurdish rebels

Putin hits Turkey with tough economic sanctions
The Australian Financial Review Putin hits Turkey with tough economic sanctions The Australian Financial Review Russian President Vladimir ...

Donald Trump Supporter Accused Of Animal Cruelty Lends Elephant To Campaign Event
From stump to stump, controversy tends to follow GOP candidate Donald Trump. Most recently, hullaballoo manifested in the form of a prettified ...

Selena Gomez Hates Dating, But Would Like To Date Zayn Malik, Older Men
Selena Gomez hates dating just like the rest of us lonely and single folks. The 23-year-old singer and actress graced the January 2016 cover ...