Trying to Understand An Error Message

Hello,

I have Perl/CGI script that work fine but for the fact that it logs a
message in the error log file. The message is:

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at...

Despite the message, the script does what it is supposed to do. I would
like to know if this message is a harmless message or is it something
that needs to be investigated and found a solution for?

Thanks.

Akbar Ehsan
Internet Services Coordinator
Central Office
Ivy Tech Community College
9301 E. 59th St.
Indianapolis, IN 46216
Phone: 1 317 921-4872
0
aehsan
2/6/2007 2:26:57 PM
perl.beginners.cgi 3838 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I have Perl/CGI script that work fine but for the fact that it logs a
message in the error log file. The message is:

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at...

Despite the message, the script does what it is supposed to do. I would
like to know if this message is a harmless message or is it something
that needs to be investigated and found a solution for?

Thanks.

Akbar Ehsan
Internet Services Coordinator
Central Office
Ivy Tech Community College
9301 E. 59th St.
Indianapolis, IN 46216
Phone: 1 317 921-4872

To me, anything in the error_log should be fixed.
It seems you are trying to use a variable that's never
been defined.  This isn't necessarily correct for your
case, but something like:

my $name = $q->param('name') || '';

might be a solution.

--Jon

0
jon
2/6/2007 2:44:46 PM
Try to use "use strict;" statement at the beginning of your script to =
avoid
undefined variables.

Kind regards,

Olivier

Envoy=E9=A0: mardi 6 f=E9vrier 2007 15:45
=C0=A0: Akbar Ehsan; beginners-cgi@perl.org
Objet=A0: Re: Trying to Understand An Error Message

----- Original Message -----=20
I have Perl/CGI script that work fine but for the fact that it logs a
message in the error log file. The message is:

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at...

Despite the message, the script does what it is supposed to do. I would
like to know if this message is a harmless message or is it something
that needs to be investigated and found a solution for?

Thanks.

Akbar Ehsan
Internet Services Coordinator
Central Office
Ivy Tech Community College
9301 E. 59th St.
Indianapolis, IN 46216
Phone: 1 317 921-4872

To me, anything in the error_log should be fixed.
It seems you are trying to use a variable that's never
been defined.  This isn't necessarily correct for your
case, but something like:

my $name =3D $q->param('name') || '';

might be a solution.

--Jon

--=20
To unsubscribe, e-mail: beginners-cgi-unsubscribe@perl.org
For additional commands, e-mail: beginners-cgi-help@perl.org
http://learn.perl.org/

0
olaloux

Systems bombs out trying to display error message rather than displaying error message
Hi I am using the following method to display error messages in my asp.net c# system: currentPage.Controls.Add(new LiteralControl("<script language='javascript'> window.alert('" + strMsg + "')</script>")); However, at certain times this falls over with the message: The control collection cannot be modified during DataBind, Init, Load, PreRender or Unload phases Is there a way round this, like maybe using a deferred message? Stapes hi stapes, Try using the ClientScriptManager to manage your javascript instead of adding it using a...

Help on Error message: "An error occurred while try to load the string resources (GetModuleHandle failed with error "
Hi I have compiled my project in VS.NET (ASP.NET web application in C#) without any build errors. This was in the process of establishing a local setup using the files from the deployed server. Now after copying all the relevant files and compiling them, when I try to browse from IIS (inetmgr) with an appropriate start page (Login.aspx), I get the following error message: An error occurred while try to load the string resources (GetModuleHandle failed with error -2147023888). Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please revie...

Error message when trying to install Reddit. Second post for this error
I am currently using Opensuse 11.4 64 bit. Installed all the reddit dependancies without any problems Attempted to execute step 2 titled "Run the setup" found in 'RedditStartToFinish – reddit – Trac' (http://code.reddit.com/wiki/RedditStartToFinish); Code: -------------------- sudo python setup.py develop -------------------- gives me the following error Code: -------------------- dhseagles:/home/reddit/r2 # sudo python setup.py develop Installing pylibmc Downloading http://github.com/downloads/ketralnis/pylibmc/pylibmc-1.0-redd...

What does this error message mean? (I get it when trying to send a message that has embedded graphics)
How am I supposed to check the temp settings, and what am I supposed to change? "Sending of message failed. Unable to open the temporary file C:\Users\Storm\AppData\Local\Temp\nsmail.tmp. Check your 'Temporary Directory' setting." Restorm wrote: > How am I supposed to check the temp settings, and what am I supposed to > change? "Sending of message failed. > Unable to open the temporary file > C:\Users\Storm\AppData\Local\Temp\nsmail.tmp. Check your 'Temporary > Directory' setting." This poster to the m'zine forum investiga...

How to understand this message on an error ??
ZCMagent 10.3.3 XP_SP3 Always see this errors: .... BUNDLE.UnknownExceptionOccurred: An Unknown exception occurred trying to process task: System.TypeInitializationException: ????????????? ???? "Novell.Zenworks.MDStatus.StatusLibrary" ????? ??????????. ---> Novell.Zenworks.Cache.Sqlite.SqliteException: Sqlite Error: 14 .... How and what repair ?? Serg -- skoltogyan ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Skoltogyan, Does TID 7009494 help? -- Shaun Pond No... All Bundles have number > 2 !! -...

Trying to understand what is this Error
I'm getting this error on my web site a bit  to often , and I have no idea why and what it is , On my local computer it has never happen , Can any one please explain what it is and where is the problem? And how I can fix it This is the Error :Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Pleas...

Error message I do not understand
Time to time I get this message on my server: "Received an unexpected decline packet identifying address XXX.XXX.XX.XXX or the address failed a ping test." Can anyone tell me what this means? It's always the same IP address and it's never logged in. Chucky, > "Received an unexpected decline packet identifying address > XXX.XXX.XX.XXX > or the address failed a ping test." > > Can anyone tell me what this means? It's always the same IP address and > it's never logged in. > That means that the DHCP server is going to h...

CGI Error Message
--=_663A041E.25443159 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Any idea what this error message means: [08/Aug/2002:08:13:59] failure ( = 972): for host 172.21.214.231 trying to GET /cgi-bin/tecgraph.cgi, = cgi_scan_headers reports: the CGI program /appl/webdocs/cgi-bin/tecgraph.cg= i did not produce a valid header (name without value: got line "<?xml = version=3D"1.0" encoding=3D"utf-8"?>") I've done some searching on the net but haven't found any information = about what this message mean...

Looking for error message documentation for CORBA error message
I am getting the error message: Error: CORBA System Exception: CORBA_BAD_OPERATION at line ...and can not seem to find any documentation on what changed or where to look. In the past when I have had the CORBA System Exceptions there is something logged in the svr.log but now I am getting nothing but the activate and deactivate entries. Thanks for the help. Scott Swafford BAD_OPERATION normally means you called a method that is not legal. Dave Wolf Internet Applications Division "Scott Swafford" <sdswaffo@maplewoodsoftware> wrote in message news:yXYkE...

Build errors message but no errors in Error List
I am using VB.Net in Visual Web Developer Express. When I press F5 to run my application I get the 'There were build errors. Wouild you like to continue and run the last successful build?' message. I select 'No', and,  if the Error List window was shut it opens, but there are no errors listed in it. I'm sure this has worked before. Is there another way of finding errors? According to Help | About I am using version 8.0.50727.42. Thanks for any help.  One of the things with the error window is you can selectively display errors, warnings and messages.  I...

Cannot understand dbping error message
Am using dbping -c "dsn=testdsn" -d -z in a batch file and checking the errorlevel if everything was OK. This job is run every 15 mins. It has happened in few instances the dbping returns errorlevel 1 with following error output <<<<< Connected to ASA Engine version 9.0.2.3137 Connected to the server, attempting to connect to a running database... Database is running, but could not connect to it Client disconnected >>>>> Any idea what this means ? Checked the database server console logs / dblogs and could not find anything abnormal on the...

FWD: Re: proliferation of error messages, sample of error messages
John, Here is a representative sample of the error output. Most of it has to do with DBI. But then it will generate a whole bunch of purely perl error messages about undefined variables, etc. However, while it is doing all of this, the application appears to be doing exactly what it is supposed to do! [Fri May 04 07:52:24 2007] [error] [client 63.92.219.234] <- dbd_st_execute 0 rows, referer: http://pin51.ucdavis.edu/EnterSample.pl? Login=tjmajcherek [Fri May 04 07:52:24 2007] [error] [client 63.92.219.234] <- execute, referer: http://pin51.ucdav...

Try Again
This time I've posted the trace log. As I mentioned before, changing the filter CN to "notify" on both channels, this corrected the issue. Changing it back to PUB � reset and SUB to sync message shows up. I understand CN could be the problem. Our requirements the naming attribute should be synchronizing it to Active Directory. Any recommendations? -- rsw4723 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Another log posted. rsw4723;1481903 Wrote: > This time I've posted the trace log. As I mentioned before, changing t...

Understanding 504 Error message
--------------020009050604090304020507 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit When sending mail to a specific user I get the error message "Response: 504 DNS verification of sending machine failed: no mail will be accepted" Go to the knowledge base and find TID 10055382 It says "The MX record had the incorrect "Name=' in the "Answer Section" and "Additional Records Section." "Correct the MX record "Name=' in the "Answer Section" and "Additional ...

Web resources about - Trying to Understand An Error Message - perl.beginners.cgi

Resonate Social For Facebook Helps Advertisers Understand Users’ Motivations
Why do Facebook users make the decisions they make? Resonate wants to help advertisers find out, so the digital marketing outfit launched Resonate ...

Facebook PMD Gigya releases Consumer Insights to better understand user identities
... allows marketers to easily query Gigya’s Identity Storage database and tie identity information with key performance indicators to understand ...

Genius — Search and understand the meaning of song lyrics, poetry, literature, and news on the App Store ...
Get Genius — Search and understand the meaning of song lyrics, poetry, literature, and news on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and ...

All sizes - Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply ...

"Understands" - YouTube
If Mitt Romney wins, the middle class loses. (Priorities USA Action is responsible for the content of this advertising)

Scientists continue search to understand Mers
The Mers coronavirus continues to confound scientists. To better understand the disease and determine where it comes from, a new project set ...

Explainer Video of the Day: Author John Green Helps You Understand Boko Haram
... in the news, but the situation in Nigeria with the Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram often gets overlooked and can be difficult to understand. ...

Businesses don't understand FTAs, so how will they deal with the TPP?
The government is keen to negotiate free trade agreements to bolster economic activity, but new research shows it has its work cut out to educate ...