array of arrays

Hi,

  I have a simple question: how do I access an array in an array?

  @array = (@array1, array2);  ###  unless this is wrong...

  the idea behind it is, that I have a long list, and want to put all
25 entries in a seperate array in that big array. later on I want to
be able to read one specific array at a certain position...

--
cheers
 alex                          mailto:Keex@gmx.de

0
Keex
7/5/2002 12:32:12 PM
perl.beginners.cgi 3838 articles. 0 followers. Follow

you need to learn about references.

read the:
perldoc perllol

here is the jist though.

@all = (\@array1, \@array2 ... ); # ... so on

to access first array and first element:

$all[0]->[0]; # i think or is it: $all[0][0]

--------------------
Systems Inc.

0
nikola_janceski

Arrays, Arrays, Arrays
I mainly come from a JScript classic ASP background and I'm liking both C#.net and JScript.net. Now I have to say... "What's happened to arrays?" They used to be so flexible and easy to use. Here are my quick questions... Am I allowed to create an array with a non specified length so that I can add to it? If not then how can I modify an array's length? Can I create an array with a named index eg myArray["apple"] = "tasty"; or is the hash table the equivalent for this now? The classic array methods and properties like pop(), push(), length etc... are ...

referring to an array in an array of arrays
How can I get at an array in an array of arrays? I'm creating the arrays using: $fComments[$i++] = [ @comments ]; Now I want to get back what I put in: print "$fComments[0]\n"; but this prints ARRAY(0x107671f0). How do I follow that pointer? (I really think we need a pre-beginners list... =) TIA. - B You can try something like this: print "@{$fComments[0]}\n"; Which will attempt to dereference the array at $fComments[0]. -----Original Message----- From: Bryan R Harris [mailto:Bryan_R_Harris@raytheon.com] Sent: Tue...

How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays?
How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > -----Original Message----- > From: Angerstein [mailto:ang@nmc-m.dtag.de] > Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 6:12 AM > To: beginners@perl.org > Subject: How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? > > > How to unshift to an array in an array of arrays? $ perl -d -e 1 ..... DB<1> @aoa = ([qw(foo bar baz)]) << create array of arrays DB<2> x @aoa 0 ARRAY(0x80f82dc) 0 'foo' 1 'bar' 2 'baz' DB<3> unshift @{$aoa[0]}, 'qu...

Concatenating arrays from arrays of arrays
Hello - I am trying to accumulate items in a flat list (array) by concatenating on to it the scalars contained in arrays which in turn are contained in arrays. The data is to be read in from a file rather than existing as literals in my code. Everything I try either crashes the computer or gives me an array of arrays instead of a flat list. I have been programming in Unicon which has a concatenate operator, but Perl makes very heavy weather of nested list management. Should I switch to Lisp, or is there a way of doing what I want to do in Perl? Regards _John Sampson_ On...

Array of Arrays
Hi, I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which needs to be passed to Oracle database to minimize the round trips to hte server. I was successful in sending simple arrays so far but no idea on how to create array of arrays in PB. I have used structures to simulate this but looks like I can't send the PB structure to Oracle. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks, Anil PB 11 or 12 I believe will have this native. <Anil> wrote in message news:422789a4.721c.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi, > > I am looking for a way to create an array of ar...

An array of arrays
Could anybody help me out here? Here's the message I just got from a guy I know: ----------- I was wondering if you know how to create and access an array of arrays in Perl. Basically I'm parsing an exported text file containing e-mails and I think I want to move some fields into arrays until I'm ready to do my report. Here basically is what I'm looking at doing: ^ | | Array 1 (messages) | | v <------ Array 2 -------> (message fields:FROM, TO, CC, etc, sensitivity, etc) I want to be able to search through the first array to count how many messag...

Array of Array.
How is possible to declare a DYNAMIC array of array ? I need something like a dynamic hash table whose pages grow up dynamically too (each one can have different number of elements). In other words, a matrix that can be dynamic in both dimension. example: [1,2,3...] [3,4..] [5] [6,7,8,9...] [.] .. .. .. Have you considered using a DataStore? -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] SDN CodeXchange -- http://codexchange.sybase.com "Marco Meoni - News" <mmeoni@usl4.toscana.it> wrote in message news:401ba036$1@forums-2-dub... > How ...

Array of arrays
Hi I'm trying to return from a web service a array of arrays, one of the arrays is a array of objects, which I tested separately and it's working fine, and another array of integer and another of strings. When I run the web service I got this:You must implement a default accessor on System.Array because it inherits from ICollectionDefault accessor what that means? Thank you very much.  As Heinlein said "specialization is for insects" explore beyond the universe. Could you pls post the relevant code ? hi rushan thank you for the reply the code is here:  ...

Array of Arrays
Hi, I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which needs to be passed to Oracle database to minimize the round trips to hte server. I was successful in sending simple arrays so far but no idea on how to create array of arrays in PB. I have used structures to simulate this but looks like I can't send the structure to Oracle. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks, Anil Please don't cross-post. On 3 Mar 2005 14:02:47 -0800, Anil wrote: >Hi, > >I am looking for a way to create an array of arrays which >needs to be passed to Oracle database t...

[@array] and \@array
Given the case, my @array = (1,2,3,4); my $var1 = [@array]; my $var2 = \@array; What's the difference between $var1 and $var2? Are they all refered to @array? Thanks guys. On 3/22/07, Jm lists <practicalperl@gmail.com> wrote: > Given the case, > > my @array = (1,2,3,4); > my $var1 = [@array]; > my $var2 = \@array; > > What's the difference between $var1 and $var2? > Are they all refered to @array? > Thanks guys. $var2 is a reference to @array. $var1 is a reference to new array. Observe #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use war...

extracting elements from arrays of arrays of arrays ;-)
Hiya All, I hope you'll forgive this oo perl rookie for asking a routine question. I'm not new to perl, but the bioperl module I'm working on is giving me a headache! ;-) Let's say I have this: my @array = qw(12 56 41 23); my $array_ref = \@array; # where $var1, $var2, and $var3 are other array references. my $ref = [$var1, $var2, $array_ref, $var3 ]; my @object = (); push @object, $ref; QUESTION: How do I obtain the array $array_ref refers to in this situtation? Let's say I want to give @new the values in @array. Thank many thanks for you...

Confusion on @array vs $array[] vs $array
--=_FCA3CF00.8EEF86D1 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Hello: I have been fairly confused on the intermixing of array naming standards. If I understand correctly, the @array syntaxt is used to refer to the whole array, while $array[n] is refered to specific elements. In my thinking, it would have been less confusing to use @array[n] to address specific elements, but Perl complaines bitterly when warnings &/or strict is enabled. Is the rational for the "$"array[] character for identifying ...

grep array of arrays
Hello List, I'm trying to grep an array of arrays, but I am getting the following error: Can't use string ("1") as an ARRAY ref while "strict refs" in use at form.pl line 121, <$COORDS> line 1281. Press any key to continue . . . Below is the grep statement: print grep { $_->[0][0] >= 0 } @coords; Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thank in advance, Chris Chris Stinemetz wrote: > Hello List, Hello, > I'm trying to grep an array of arrays, but I am getting the following error: > > Can't use string ("1...

Web resources about - array of arrays - perl.beginners.cgi

Array - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Search with Relcy for an array of relevant, reliable results
... on the bandwagon? or Enjoy Apple TV 4 screensavers on Mac OS X with Aerial . Relcy - The Fastest Way to Find Search with Relcy for an array ...

Obama announces array of gun control measures - The Boston Globe Obama announces array of gun control ...
While announcing new measures to combat mass shootings, the president insisted it was still possible to uphold the Second Amendment.

New books for animal lovers deliver array of adventures, information
Who's on the bookshelves this month? Dogs, wolves, birds and cats. And butterflies. Beautiful butterflies. Here are some of the new animal-related ...

Rarely Seen ‘Ashes And Embers’ Getting Restoration & Distribution From Ava DuVernay‘s Array Releasing ...
Ava DuVernay 's Array Releasing has acquired director Haile Gerima ’s rarely-seen classic Ashes And Embers and will give it full restoration, ...

Hitachi Data Systems Expands All-Flash Array Options
Hitachi expands its lineup of all-flash and hybrid flash arrays, performance optimization software and data analytics capabilities.

Sorting through wireless music’s dizzying array of options
The good news: Having clear-sounding audio all over your house no longer requires a second mortgage.

NetApp To Shell Out $870 Million For All-Flash Array Startup SolidFire
NetApp announced the acquisition of all-flash array maker SolidFire for $870 million at the end of what has been a relatively slow year for the ...

Sheldon Silver, Longtime Titan of New York Politics, Guilty On Array of Corruption Charges
Sheldon Silver, who has been speaker of the New York State Assembly for 20 years, was found guilty today in federal court of seven corruption ...

Planet X? Probably not, but ALMA telescope array’s readings stir up debate
An array of radio telescopes in Chile has picked up weird readings that appear to be coming from far-out objects – and that’s sparked a debate ...