User's home directory saved in Samba server not locally

Hi guys,

Continuing with my assigned task of migrating the company's PCs to
GNU/Linux ('openSUSE as server for GNU/Linux clients'
(http://tinyurl.com/5sqzjl7)) I managed to set up a DC with roaming
profiles for the few remaining Windows users, user validation and login
for the openSUSE boxes and a few network shares with different rights.

I know there are no roaming profiles for GNU/Linux and I can live with
that but I would like to specify wich users/groups would have their home
directories saved locally (notebook users) and which will save them on
the Samba server.

By default home directories are saved locally but somehow Samba creates
a minimal home directory for each user under /home in the Samba server.
How can I tell the client box to use that directory? and how can I set
up the few notebook users to save it on their disks?

Maybe using the options under Yast > Security... > Users and groups
management > Users (LDAP Users filter) > and then select the user and
use the "Manage Samba account parameters" plug-in  for specifying the
different paths cant achieve this.

Thank you in advance,

Pancho

--
open*SUSE* | *Think correctly*

Panchux
3/28/2011 3:36:06 AM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I could find the solution to the location of the home directories. It
seems Samba won't care for the location of the home directories since
there are other solutions to implement that like NFS.
So I manage to mount a share from the Samba server (/domainHomes) over
the client home directory so Samba will create the the user's home where
it's needed.

But somehow some problems appeared: the NFS share must be manually
configured on the client PC. During the first login Samba tries to
create the home directory but it fails due to rights problems.
I've made a script based on one I'd found googling which will create
the home with the correct rights but Samba won't execute it when
specified under [homes] as root preexec.

So, if possible, I would like to know where is the script for the home
directory creation (or the way to override it) and if it's possible to
mount the NFS share during log in.

I will post any information I find. Thanks In advance,

Pancho

--
open*SUSE* | *Think correctly*
Panchux's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=33470

0
Panchux
3/29/2011 11:06:02 PM
On Tue March 29 2011 06:06 pm, Panchux wrote:

> I could find the solution to the location of the home directories. It
> seems Samba won't care for the location of the home directories since
> there are other solutions to implement that like NFS.
> So I manage to mount a share from the Samba server (/domainHomes) over
> the client home directory so Samba will create the the user's home where
> it's needed.
>
> But somehow some problems appeared: the NFS share must be manually
> configured on the client PC. During the first login Samba tries to
> create the home directory but it fails due to rights problems.
> I've made a script based on one I'd found googling which will create
> the home with the correct rights but Samba won't execute it when
> specified under [homes] as root preexec.
>
> So, if possible, I would like to know where is the script for the home
> directory creation (or the way to override it) and if it's possible to
> mount the NFS share during log in.
>
> I will post any information I find. Thanks In advance,
>
> Pancho

Pamcho;
  Did you try your script in the [netlogon]share?  At least for Windows
clients this is the location for logon scripts.  There is a very short
writeup on this share here:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-pdc.html#id2562461

I've never tried this for linux clients.

Have you tried the Samba mailing list.   I think you will find a lot more
individuals with knowledge of what you are trying to do.

http://www.samba.org/samba/archives.html
--
P. V.
"We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you." Red Green

It seems the implementation of Samba and/or LDAP in openSUSE/SUSE is
different from other distros'. What applies to other distros do not
apply to openSUSE.
As far as I know the main difference between a logon script and a
preexec script is that the preexec executes before the login proccess
starts and the netlogon script executes after the user has logged in, so
it can't be use for creating the home directories.

The script goes like this (maybe is usefull for someone)

> #!/bin/bash
>
> if [ ! -d /domainHomes/$1/$2 ]; then
> mkdir -p /domainHomes/$1/$2
> chmod g+s /domainHomes/$1/$2
> chown $2:ntadmins /domainHomes/$1/$2
> chmod 770 /domainHomes/$1/$2
> /usr/bin/setfacl -m g:ntadmins:rwx /domainHomes/$1/$2
> /usr/bin/setfacl -m u:"$2":rwx /domainHomes/$1/$2
> /usr/bin/setfacl -m g:ntusers:000 /domainHomes/$1/$2
> fi
> exit 0

I will try the Samba mailing list,

Pancho

--
open*SUSE* | *Think correctly*
Panchux's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=33470
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=456870

0
Panchux
3/30/2011 3:36:01 AM
On Tue March 29 2011 10:36 pm, Panchux wrote:

> venzkep, thank you for your time and effort.
>
> It seems the implementation of Samba and/or LDAP in openSUSE/SUSE is
> different from other distros'. What applies to other distros do not
> apply to openSUSE.
> As far as I know the main difference between a logon script and a
> preexec script is that the preexec executes before the login proccess
> starts and the netlogon script executes after the user has logged in, so
> it can't be use for creating the home directories.

<snip>

> I will try the Samba mailing list,
>
> Pancho

Pancho;

My experience is limited strictly to Windows clients, so my ignorance of your
problem is only exceeded by my audacity in trying to reply.   I'm glad to
hear you will try the Samba mailing list the developers do monitor that list.
--
P. V.
"We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you." Red Green
0
PV

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection
This is my first time to deploy an asp.net2 web site. Everything is working fine on my local computer but when i published the web site on a remote computer i get the error "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed" (only in pages that try to access the database) Help pleaseee Hi You could take a look at this : http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=152338&SiteID=1Sincerely,Young Fang Hi ...

Automatically make directories in user's home directory
How can I do this? Basically I want the equivalent of /etc/skel on linux to happen on my netware box. Specifically what I am wanting is a Favorites folder and a Desktop folder made in their home directory so I can use folder redirection to point those portions of their profiles to there. I do not want to hand make these folders in every new user's home directory. Thanks! Adam I see that those mirectories are made automatically. Although I would still be interested to know if there is some way to do an equivalent to /etc/skel because I can see that being usefull. T...

changes made from one user's webpart's page, effects all user's
 I am just doing this offline right now in Visual Web Developer Express 2008I created the login inonce in the memberpage area, people can modify their webpart page. I created several users to test this out.  I loaded it in a browser.When I make changes as logged in user "A" .  Then logout and login as user "B", user "B,s" webpart page has been changed to user "A".This goes true for whomever I log in as.  It changes for everyone.Is there something specific I need to do in order to get everyone's changes to be unique for them...

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path
I installed my asp.net 2.0 web application  and sql express june editon on my windows 2003 server.When the application tries to reach the database i am getting the following error"Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed."I can understand that it has something to do with user right but more than that I am pretty lost. Can anyone translate this error for me and give me some tips on what do to.I checked first the use...

access user's local machine's info
Hi, Is that possible we can implement something in ASP.NET to access user's local machine's info, such as MAC# or Hard Drive #? Thanks. Chia Nope. Or, more specifically, I hope not. This would be a major, huge security breach. The best you could do is to embed an ActiveX or .NET component in the page, convince the user to install it, and get the info that way. This would only be reasonable in an intranet situation. But you'd have to install it independently of the ASP.NET page before you could use it. DonDon Kiely, MCP, MCSDIn the Last Frontier, Interior AlaskaPlease post ...

Please Help *** Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path
Hi all hope some one can help - please bear with me new to this Basically I have had to change pc's so I copied and pasted my ASPNET.MDF and LDF from my old pc to new PC including webpages/apps etc.. created. However now all I get is "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path """" Just don't understand what permissions the db should have, does it need to match the SQL Express owner...   any help would be most appreciated   Thanks   Chris  &n...

Accessing a user's home directory
Hello, I'm building a xulrunner application, and I have a need to store/ access files in a user's home directory; that is, the application may be installed system-wide, but each user will be able to store/access their own files with it. How do I reference the user's home directory in a platform-agnostic way? Thanks! John On 06/02/2007 00:46 (CET), john wrote: > Hello, > > I'm building a xulrunner application, and I have a need to store/ > access files in a user's home directory; that is, the application may > be installed system-wide...

Install into user's HOME directory?

CSV to save on server, (not user's PC)
Hi, I have been using the following article to make a CSV file of a dataset.C:\Documents and Settings\Glyn Aston\Desktop\CSV\New Folder (2)\DotNetBips_com  The _NET Knowledge Base.htmThe CSV file is created on a button click and then the user gets a popup to choose a location to save the file. I want to modify this code to save the file in a set location on the web server. How do I do this?? Thanks You gave us a link to a file on your Hard Drive. I'm assuming your talking about this article http://www.dotnetbips.com/Articles/displayarticle.aspx?id=302 At the end of the article,...

Saving a file from the server on to user's PC.
I have a subprocedure where upon clicking on the link button on a webpage,the subprocedure will save data from a datagrid,write it to a text file and save it on to the user's PC.Does anyone know how do i go about doing this? Change the content type of the page sending the text to this: application/octet-stream Then use Response.Write(ALLTEXT)Picky Hi. I want to do similar things, seting the same content type, but want to change the name of the saved file. For example, I have a page named "Download.aspx" which generates binary output and the user to be prompted to save ...

Securing or encrypting a user's home directory
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with products that could encrypt a user's home directory entirely, where by they would unlock it upon logging into the tree? Maybe something that integrates into the Novell client. We use NetWare 6.5 file servers but are headed towards OES2 Thanks! -- dsmi87dgf ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

Re-associate User ID's with Home Directories
Hello all, When our main server crashed, we had to restore from backup. All the volumes containing our users files were restored back into their original location and server was given the same name, but our users have lost the association between their account and home directory. We started to manually go through and re-associate the directories with the users on ConsoleOne, but this would take days. Is there a tool that could perform a batch operation for such a task? The User ID is the same as the folder name. Thanks in advance, Tim Williams If it were me, I'd...

Can you move User's Home Directories by Hand?
I have a need to move about 200 user's home directories from a NW5.0 server to and NW6.5 server. I was going to do it this weekend. I was searching around on Deja.com and it seems a lot of people pay a bundle to get a utility to do it. Is there anything wrong with just copying the directories from one server to another and then editing the user objects through console1 and changing it to the new loc? Obviously it will take some time, but is there any actual reason or danger invovled in just doing it this way? Thanks for your help. Hopefully, I can get it done this wee...

Moving user's home directories to NSS partition
Hi all! Can I move/change my user's home directories to a NSS partition? I need to setup the user home directory when create user account, using \\server\volume at the user home directory field, in iManager. Can I do this? Anybody here has some information about? Tks, Best regards... Alan Cota. On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 00:17:54 +0000, Alan Cota wrote: Sure any user residing in eDirectory can have their home directory residing on an NSS volume, no problem. Just treat it the same way as if the volume had resided on a NetWare server. -- ___________________________...

Web resources about - User's home directory saved in Samba server not locally - opensuse.org.network-internet