two nics, 2 networks, 2 Default gateways

Hi,
New to OpenSuse, but i'm trying to configure my 2 nics to see 2
different networks, and route both those networks.

I can't seem to use the GUI to do anything good and it doesn't even
seem to take the route command right, or editing any network scripts.

anyone have any advice on this?  Thanks

--
mrose11

mrose11
1/29/2009 11:06:01 PM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You can't have 2 default gateways. Default means the last choice and
there can only be one last choice for routing, by definition.

If you know which IP addresses you want to reach by which gateway you
can add some static routes. You'd have to post more details of your
setup.

If you are after optimal routing, you need routing daemons and routing
info updates (quite complicated).

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221

0
ken
1/29/2009 11:06:01 PM
well, I understand the concept of a default gateway, but given 2
different NICS, you should be able to have a default gateway for each,
there is no way of doing this?

One nic is on the 192.168.17.x network (this is the network which works
because the default gateway is set to 17.1)
one nic is on the 172.16.10.x network (doesn't work)

--
mrose11
mrose11's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=21246
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=406391

0
mrose11
1/30/2009 8:46:02 AM
well, again i'm not an expert on linux (unfortunately at a windows shop,
but we have a handful of linux boxes)
and in Windows, the interface can have a different gateway (even though
i'm not sure how this actually handles routing on the back end)

anyway, back to the routing issue then...i am not able to add the route
correctly using the route command

--
mrose11
mrose11's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=21246
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=406391

0
mrose11
1/30/2009 8:56:01 AM
The routing decision chooses the interface to take the traffic, not the
other way around.

Default gateways are for "rest of the Internet" destinations. Sounds
like what you need are just a few specific routes to cover the subnets
your interfaces connect to.

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=406391

0
ken
1/30/2009 8:56:01 AM
There is a YaST table where you can add specific routes. Just go to YaST
> Network Devices > Network Settings > Routing and you'll see it. As you
can see it's global to the machine, and not specific to any of the
interfaces.

A route can have a gateway, and then there is The Default Gateway which
is the catch-all.

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=406391

0
ken

2 nic cards - Novell Client
Does anyone know how to configure a workstation, with two network adapters, Windows 2000, to connect to the right tree? One nic has a static IP and no Novell network. The second nic has dhcp on the Novell network. Problem is, on boot up you get the Novell login prompt, but it doesnt see the right network. How do you configure the workstation to use the correct nic, to find the correct tree? If we disable the second nic it works. Unbind the Novell Client from the unwanted NIC by going into Network and Dialup Connections - [Advanced] menu | Advanced Settings | Bindings. ...

2 Network Cards #2
Hi, I am trying to use 2 network cards with Sybase V 12 under Windows NT. I have 2 separate network cards / IP addresses and am able to dos ping. Furthermore I can Sybping the backup server from a client PC on both ip addresses using port 5001. However when I configure ASE (under port 5000) using both IP addresses, one will fail. Any ideas. Cheers David The two network cards u have to specify in the sql.ini file. U copy the master and below entries as it is and copy in the same file and change the second entryn with the new network card address. Try Regard...

Viewing 2 Networks on 1 PC #2
Hi, I need to get this box up & running. Can anybody please help. This is how our network is presently configured Net Server -------------------------------------- | PC with 2 Network cards | -------------------------------------- | | Card 1 Card 2 10.0.0.x 192.168.x.x | | HUB to external network | | Internal Network In the Card 2 the deafult gateway has been set to IP of card 1. An evaluatio copy of WinRouter Pro 4.2 is also running. NAT has been enable...

A network with 2 Internet connections?
Does anyone know the recommended way to setup a network that has 2 different high speed connections to the internet? I would like to setup a network of 10 PCs where half of the network accesses the internet through 1 ISP and the other half to access through a second ISP. I would also like to be able to "easily" switch all Users to 1 of the ISPs if the other was to fail. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Jake "Jake Taylor" <jake.taylor@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:b627ak$hdo$1@news.grc.com... > Does anyone...

General network error. Check your network documentation #2
Hi We have a written a error log in Global.asax. which capture below mentioned error in the prodcution server. Same applications is working fine in some locations and some loactions we are getting the error.Any body knows why this error is occurs.Any body knows why this error is occurs. Error Message:General network error. Check your network documentation.Stack Trace: at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OpenAndLogin() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection..ctor(SqlConnection connection, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() a...

SeaMonkey 2.2 #2
I have just re-installed 2.0.14 and it works a treat. Don't mess with wot ain't broke. D. ...

4.2.2.2
Occasionally I will get an alert from ZAF announcing "The firewall has blocked local network access to 4.2.2.2 (DNS) from your computer." The explanation says that ZA has blocked access to Port 53 on a DNS server. Why would ZA block this? As far as I know, it has never requested permission to access this server and I have never denied such permission. I use a Netgear router, and in order to make it work with my system, I was instructed to configure the DNS Configuration of the TCP/IP Properties of my network card and add 4.2.2.2 as one of my DNS Servers. Thanks for you...

configure 2 NICs on separate networks
I need to set up a backup network on my servers. Currently the servers live on one network that to facilitate backups requires traversing a router. I would like to add a second NIC and bind it to a dedicated backup network. I tried to configure it, but when the server went to bind the NICs it lost communication and bound only to the second NIC. How do I configure the server to exist on two networks? Mike Alexander mexa@srskansas.org wrote: > I need to set up a backup network on my servers. Currently the servers > live on one network that to facilitate backups...

2-2
Name: pepe_writer@hotmail.com Email: pepe_writerathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: 2-2 Comments: 22 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/2.0.173.1 Safari/530.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

2 #2
Name: Argenis Email: mechanical_rockstar_at_hotmail.com Product: Firefox 2 Beta 2 Summary: 2 Comments: i'm mexican Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060821 Firefox/2.0b2 ...

2 #2
Name: heldernda silva Email: shelder67atyahoodotcodotuk Product: Shiretoko Summary: 2 Comments: 3 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.1b3) Gecko/20090305 Firefox/3.1b3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

2 #2
Name: woooooooooolf Product: Firefox Summary: 2 Comments: ПЕЗДАТЫЙ БРАУЗЕР , СУККА! И ПОЧТОВОЙ КЛИЕНТ ПЕЗДАТЫЙ! В томже духе ебаште и мы парабатим ээтот мир , када все будут юзать , мы пашлём им тройан ЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫЫ Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; ru; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080201 Firefox/2.0.0.12 ...

Networking #2
I have had my laptop up and running on the works network for a long time and had no problems then one day all i can access is the internet. The server could not recognise my computer and my computer could not even get in to the workgroup. I took it home and tried it on my home network using a small 10 base hub. I tried both Windows ME and W2K on the same machine (dual boot) and neither of them will connect... it doesnt seem to be a hardware problem as i have tested the network card (3com 10 base T100 PCMCIA card) on another computer and it seems to work perfectly. What could i be doing ...

Network #2
Hey after suse updated my computer it worked alot better but for some reason my only ethernet network card stopped working. uhm it says theres no network card but yast still shows a configured network card that isn't working. Yast also shows a non configured network card that I can't edit or delete. and ifconfig /all says theres no networks but ifconfig alone shows lo and works fine. ifup says theres no network card I didn't try route or ifdown yet. again yast says theres a configured network card there just as it was. but another one showed up unconfigured and i...

Web resources about - two nics, 2 networks, 2 Default gateways - opensuse.org.network-internet

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

Talk:PlayStation Network outage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Video games , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of video games on Wikipedia. If ...

2015 Cable Network Ranker: FNC No. 2 for the Year
Fox News Channel was No. 2 in prime time and No. 3 in total day viewers among all ad-supported cable networks during 2015. FNC averaged 1.79 ...

Girls Bravo DVD 2 - Review - Anime News Network Anime News Network
Here comes the crucial next stage in every harem anime: the introduction of more characters. This volume gets a "bravo" for loopy comedy, but ...

Nextdoor, the $1.1B social network for neighbors, is finally expanding overseas
After promising international expansion for the last couple of years, Nextdoor, the social network for neighbors, is laying the groundwork for ...

The Dish: Food Network's chef Amanda Freitag
... began her culinary career as a busgirl and worked her way through top kitchens in Paris and New York to eventually co-host her own Food Network ...

IDG Contributor Network: The strangest of bedfellows: Infor and Whole Foods partner
Generally it is only technology vendors that come out with some proclamation of a solution that is going to be built. The technology industry ...

Networks The Pentagon Doesn’t Even Know It Has Could Get Hacked
'DOD did not maintain a comprehensive list of cloud computing service contracts'

AMC Networks Is Still Negotiating With Cable Coop After Carriage Deal Expired
AMC Networks and National Cable Television Cooperative are still trying to work out a new carriage contract — despite the group’s warning this ...

Network advanced threat protection market to hit US$1.3 billion in 2019, says IHS
Sales of network advanced threat protection (ATP) solutions, which detect sophisticated malware, reached US$194 million worldwide in the third ...