Time sync problem

I have a dual boot machine, and can't get the Windows and OpenSUSE times
to match. They are always 6 hours off. I used Yast NTP to set up a
server on Linux, with Central time zone. Windows has the same time zone.
Does anyone know anything else that needs to be adjusted so I can make
these times the same?

--
ciric50

ciric50
12/16/2009 3:56:02 AM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Tue December 15 2009 09:56 pm, ciric50 wrote:

> I have a dual boot machine, and can't get the Windows and OpenSUSE times
> to match. They are always 6 hours off. I used Yast NTP to set up a
> server on Linux, with Central time zone. Windows has the same time zone.
> Does anyone know anything else that needs to be adjusted so I can make
> these times the same?

ciric50;

I suspect you have OpenSuSE set the clock to UTC.  Windows uses local time.
The central time zone is UTC-6.  Go to YaST-->System-->Date and Time.  Un
check the set hardware clock to UTC.
--
P. V.
"We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you." Red Green

Check here
'[image: http://thumbnails24.imagebam.com/6003/74f9c660026607.gif]'
(http://www.imagebam.com/image/74f9c660026607)

--
Box: openSUSE 11.2 | (KDE4.3.4) | M2N4-SLI | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia
8500GT | 4GB RAM

0
caf4926
12/16/2009 4:16:01 AM
On 12/16/2009 06:16 AM, caf4926 wrote:

> You should not use nntp, but use Local Time (That's from the BIOS)

Now that's a typo.

You mean NTP, Network Time Protocol, not NNTP, Network News Transfer
Protocol.

NTP servers should be used, that makes the computer run in correct time.

But in case of dual booting with windows the HW clock needs to use local
time.
The image there is correct.

> Check here
> '[image: http://thumbnails24.imagebam.com/6003/74f9c660026607.gif]'
> (http://www.imagebam.com/image/74f9c660026607)

Vahis
--
"Sunrise 9:23am (EET), sunset 3:08pm (EET) at Espoo, Finland (5:45 hours
daylight)"
> Now that's a typo.
>
> You mean NTP, Network Time Protocol, not NNTP, Network News Transfer
> Protocol.

Indeed - slip of the finger there:shame:

I'm always typing nntp in our mod area for one reason or another:) I'm
going to term it: "Habitual Keystroke Mannerism" lol!

--
Box: openSUSE 11.2 | (KDE4.3.4) | M2N4-SLI | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia
8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap: openSUSE 11.2 | Celeron 550 | (KDE4.3.4)"2" | Intel 965 GM |
Lenovo R61e | 3GB RAM
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=428746

0
caf4926
12/16/2009 8:36:01 AM
On 12/16/2009 10:36 AM, caf4926 wrote:

>> Now that's a typo.
>>
>> You mean NTP, Network Time Protocol, not NNTP, Network News Transfer
>> Protocol.
>>
> Indeed - slip of the finger there:shame:
>
> I'm always typing nntp in our mod area for one reason or another:) I'm
> going to term it: "Habitual Keystroke Mannerism" lol!

We all have those I guess :)

Still, NTP needs to be used for accurate time.

Then, in case of windows dual boot, local time in the hardware clock.

Vahis
--
"Sunrise 9:23am (EET), sunset 3:08pm (EET) at Espoo, Finland (5:45 hours
daylight)"
http://waxborg.servepics.com
Linux 2.6.25.20-0.5-default #1 SMP 2009-08-14 01:48:11 +0200 x86_64
 11:19am  up 46 days 16:20,  14 users,  load average: 0.26, 0.39, 0.52
0
Vahis
12/16/2009 9:22:31 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Using Yast I just unchecked the "Set hardware clock to UTC" checkbox
and then everything was fine. Cool!

--
ciric50
ciric50's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=39075
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=428746

0
ciric50
12/17/2009 2:36:01 AM
ciric50;2089066 Wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the replies!
>
> Using Yast I just unchecked the "Set hardware clock to UTC" checkbox
> and then everything was fine. Cool!
Happy to help;)

--
Box: openSUSE 11.2 | (KDE4.3.4) | M2N4-SLI | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia
8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap: openSUSE 11.2 | Celeron 550 | (KDE4.3.4)"2" | Intel 965 GM |
Lenovo R61e | 3GB RAM
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=428746

0
caf4926

time sync problem
One of my Netware 5.1 server giving me "Time is NOT syncronized on the network" when I typed "time" at the console prompt. When I set it to Debug, it shows that " theServer will not be used as it is a configured source". I don't what that means. Please help. My environment: we have five Netware 5.1 w/sp5 servers. One Single and four Secondary. Three secondary servers are OK, except one that giving me this error. All servers have the latest and same timesync.nlm. Please help!... Thanks, Calvin Please post the sys:system\timesync...

Time Sync Problem
Dear All, I meet time sync problem. Now I say my situation. 4 Novell 4.11 servers and one TREE. Recently, the server time is late 3mins compare with actual time. So I try to adjust it and follow the below method: Load monitor-->Server parameter-->Time--->At time schedule, add the parameter (+00:03:00). After the server run one day, I discover 4 server time is not match. but i try to run dsrepair to test it without any error . I want to ask how to solve it, help me??? Thanks TT Please copy&paste sys:system\timesync.cfg from each server. Also, copy&...

time sync problem
hello all; since installing NW5.1 sp5, my servers have been able to synchronize with the time server in the network. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks > since installing NW5.1 sp5, my servers have been able to synchronize with > the time server in the network. > Does it work if you unload/reload timesync.nlm? -- Andy Thompson Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp (No email support, thanks.) > > since installing NW5.1 sp5, my servers have been able to synchronize with > > the time server in the network. > >...

Time Sync Problems
Servers involved are: Sles10sp1 oes2 eDir 8.8 Netware 6.5.6 eDir 8.7.3.9 I am getting the following error when I run a time sync: [1] Instance at /etc/opt/novell/eDirectory/conf/nds.conf: wauoesfs1.OU=SERVERS.OU=WAU.OU=IL.O=BCBS.NSM_TREE Unable to connect to NDS Server. Connection refused. I also get a -625 error when running a time sync on a Netware 6.5 box that is in this tree. Any suggestions on how to fix this and what might be causing the problem? Thanks Scott -- SJFast911 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SJ...

DSrepair time sync replica depth and time is in sync
A new server installed and configured (nw5.0 sp6a) is showing up with a Replica depth of -1 (others show 0) and the Time is in Sync = no (others are yes) with a plus of 1min. Can these be resolved? This a brand new test server. Cheers. The "Replica Depth" is not a problem. Your new server does not have a copy of the NDS Database. This is not a problem and quite normal. Only the 1st 3 servers get a copy of you DS unless you configure it otherwise. Check you TimeSync Setup. Here is a guide from NW5.1 (5.0 should work the same.) http://www.novell.com/documentati...

Time Sync Problem #2
Netware 5.1 server lost connectivity to its source time server for approx 6 hrs. The time was wrong on the server. This server is a time ref server, master of root, and DHCP server. Users attempting to login at that time were unable to get IP due to IP conflict. Helpdesk had users run release all and some users could login; however, the last login changed to year 2034! Server was rebooted and time appeared correct on server. Now server shows synthetic time, but time is correct. For problem users, cannot unlock accts due to error 116:659. NDS looks healthy, except for -698 error...

NTP and Time Sync Problems
Hi, Just wondering if anyone can help me. I am trying to get a Netware 5.0 server to sync with an outside time source. I have permission from tick.utoronto.ca to sync with them, as well as tick.usno.navy.mil and tock.usno.navy.mil. When i launch timesync.nlm after a period of time the timesync debug screen shows that the server can't communicate with those time servers. Running ping from the console clearly shows that there is no problem pining the servers. After running timesync.nlm the console reports syncronization not active. Anybody have any suggestions? Here is ...

Form internet time out problem
I have an internet time out problem on one of my forms. I have developed a web site for one of my clients. The web form works fine on my laptop but in their office there is a internet time out problem. The Details 1. Both use IE6 and we set the office machine to the same security settings as mine. 2. The client can log in to the site and go to the form page. The page loads but when they click on  a button to do a calculate funtion. The form hangs then times out. Yet on my laptop and home computer it works fine Any ideas would be appreciated Cheers  ...

Time sync problem #2
Hello, Thanks in advance for any time spent or help offered. I administer a Netware 6.0 SP5 two node native SCSI based cluster that sits on a large university LAN that we share with other many servers and workstations. We also have one replica server in an office still on the LAN but two hops away from the server cluster. The server that is typically secondary is set up as a single source that gets its time from an NIST timeserver. It is always in sync. The replica server is always in sync. But for the last few days the primary server in the cluster has been loosing and re...

mozilla.org network problems?
I can't get through to any mozilla.org sites this morning. Should I feel blessed, or do others have problems too? R.K.Aa. ...

Problems with Time sync after migration
I am in the middle of a migration (NW5 SP6 to NW6.5 SP3 with new hardware). The migration seemed to be going fine, however now that I'm in the final stages, there are problems: The migration wizard advised me to verify that time and NDS are in sync. When verifying time sync on the server, the following happens: The Destination server reports time is in sync, but it can only identify connections with 3 other servers in the tree (out of 8)when running DSRepair, time sync status. When I go to any of the other servers in the tree (including the three that can be seen by ...

Time Sync Problem #3
Mixed environment: 1 x Reference Server = NetWare 4.10 (DS ver 5.18) 1 x Primary Server = NetWare 5.1-SP6 (DS ver 8.85) 9 x Secondary Servers - 2 x NetWare 4.10 (DS ver 5.18) - 1 x NetWare 4.11-SP9 (DS ver 6.11) - 1 x NetWare 4.2-SP9 (DS ver 6.11) - 1 x NetWare 5.1-SP3 (DS ver 8.77) - 1 x NetWare 5.1-SP5 (DS ver 8.82) - 2 x NetWare 5.1-SP6 (DS ver 8.85) and the odd-ball - 1 x Axis StorePoint CD Network CD Server (pretends to be NetWare 4.X - DS ver 5.73) All NW5-SP6 boxes were recently upgraded to SP6 - some from SP3 and some from SP5. What we're see...

still having Internet Time-Out Browsing Problems
I'm still having these problems of Internet browser timing out and not being able to find a webpage, yet I'm still connected and still can get email .. can anyone offer any help/ideas? ----------------------------------------------------------------------- I recently upgraded my 2nd computer from Windows 98 to Windows XP, after doing this I was unable to make an internet connection so I uninstalled it, re-configured my Linksys Router, and got connected again. HOWEVER, I can't browse the internet for more than 5 minutes, then it stops, PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED, but it'...

Web resources about - Time sync problem - opensuse.org.network-internet

Surprise! Lawyers Are Problem Drinkers
Assuming there are 10 attorneys on your team, statistically, two to three of the attorneys are suffering from drinking problems, depression, ...

This one app could solve your most frustrating home Wi-Fi problems
So you've just set up your home Wi-Fi network but for some reason you're having trouble getting your PC to connect to the network. It could very ...

This 1-minute visualization on space junk reveals a serious problem
... will completely obliterate a satellite and turn it into hundreds of smaller pieces. As you can imagine, this only exacerbates the problem because, ...

Ben Carson has a problem with Bill Clinton's history with women
GOP hopeful blames former President Clinton for coarsening American children

Engine problem sends Virginia-bound plane back to New York
... shortly after takeoff. A spokesman for the FAA says the crew of Commutair Flight 3585 declared an emergency because of an "engine-related problem" ...

IT pros brace for lost devices, access problems, on-call holidays
More than half (56%) of IT pros will be on-call or working during the holidays to troubleshoot tech problems, according to network management ...

Top 11 Problems Plaguing Solar And Wind Power
Wind and solar power will have to resolve these 11 fundamental issues before they can "fix" global warming.

Thanks, Obama. Fewer people have problems paying medical bills.
... In the first half of 2011 through the first half of 2014, approximately one in five persons under age 65 was in a family that had problems ...

Spotify pledges to fix the music industry's royalty problems
Paying artists for streams isn't just Spotify's problem the whole industry is stuck with a royalty model that's better suited for physical sales ...