SMB printer status

Windows computers on my network are able to print to the printer I have
shared with samba on my Suse 11.0 box, but the status message says
"Access Denied, Unable To Connect" I would like to see the normal
"Ready" status message.
I've read through some similar posts regarding this same issue and have
made some changes to my smb.conf and cupsd.conf files.

smb.conf

Code:
--------------------

  # smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
  # version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the
  # samba-doc package is installed.
  # Date: 2009-01-08
  [global]
  	workgroup = CO-OP
  	printing = cups
  	printcap name = cups
  	printcap cache time = 750
  	cups options = raw
  	map to guest = Bad User
  	logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
  	logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
  	logon drive = P:
  	usershare allow guests = Yes
  	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
  	domain logons = No
  	domain master = No
  	security = user
  	usershare max shares = 100
  	netbios name = Ext-156

  [homes]
  	comment = Home Directories
  	valid users = %S, %D%w%S
  	browseable = No
  	read only = No
  	inherit acls = Yes

  [profiles]
  	comment = Network Profiles Service
  	path = %H
  	read only = No
  	store dos attributes = Yes
  	create mask = 0600
  	directory mask = 0700

  [users]
  	comment = All users
  	path = /home
  	read only = No
  	inherit acls = Yes
  	veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/

  [groups]
  	comment = All groups
  	path = /home/groups
  	read only = No
  	inherit acls = Yes

  [printers]
  	comment = Net Printers
  	path = /var/tmp
  	printable = Yes
  	create mask = 0700
  	browseable = No
  	guest ok = yes
  	disable spoolss =yes

  [print$]
  	comment = Printer Drivers
  	path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
  	write list = @ntadmin root
  	force group = ntadmin
  	create mask = 0664
  	directory mask = 0775

  [public]
  	path = /windows/D/Public/
  	guest ok = Yes
  	guest account = Leroy
  	read only = No
  	write ok = yes
--------------------

cupsd.conf

Code:
--------------------
    #
  # "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 7199 2008-01-08 00:16:30Z mike $"
  #
  #   Sample configuration file for the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS)
  #   scheduler.  See "man cupsd.conf" for a complete description of this
  #   file.
  #

  # Log general information in error_log - change "info" to "debug" for
  # troubleshooting...
  LogLevel info

  # Administrator user group...
  SystemGroup sys root

  # Only listen for connections from the local machine.
  Listen localhost:631
  Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

  # Show shared printers on the local network.
  Browsing On
  BrowseOrder allow,deny
  BrowseAllow @ LOCAL

  <Location />
  Order Deny,Allow
  Deny From All
  Allow From 127.0.0.1
  Allow From 127.0.0.2
  #Allow From @LOCAL
  Allow From 10.103.8.*
  </Location>

  # Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
  DefaultAuthType Basic

  # Restrict access to the server...
  <Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow From 127.0.0.2
  </Location>

  # Restrict access to the admin pages...
  <Location /admin>
  Encryption Required
  Order allow,deny
  </Location>

  # Restrict access to configuration files...
  <Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  </Location>

  # Set the default printer/job policies...
  <Policy default>
  # Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an administrator...
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
  Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
  Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  # All administration operations require an administrator to authenticate...
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  # All printer operations require a printer operator to authenticate...
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  # Only the owner or an administrator can cancel or authenticate a job...
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
  Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
  Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  <Limit All>
  Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  </Policy>

  #
  # End of "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 7199 2008-01-08 00:16:30Z mike $".
  #
--------------------

Any Suggestions? Thank You.

--
iroybk

iroybk
5/9/2009 1:46:03 AM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Fri May 8 2009 08:46 pm, iroybk wrote:

> Windows computers on my network are able to print to the printer I have
> shared with samba on my Suse 11.0 box, but the status message says
> "Access Denied, Unable To Connect" I would like to see the normal
> "Ready" status message.
> I've read through some similar posts regarding this same issue and have
> made some changes to my smb.conf and cupsd.conf files.

<snip>

>   [printers]
>       comment = Net Printers
>       path = /var/tmp
>       printable = Yes
>       create mask = 0700
>       browseable = No
>       guest ok = yes
>       disable spoolss =yes

<snip>

> Any Suggestions? Thank You.

iroybk;

I would start by commenting out "disable spoolss = yes".   I'll not guarantee
that will solve your problem but it may.  It is really not a recommended
setting.  Below is the write up for "disable spoolss" in man smb.conf.

[quote]
disable spoolss (G)

Enabling this parameter will disable Samba�s support for the SPOOLSS set of
MS-RPC�s and will yield identical behavior as Samba 2.0.x. Windows NT/2000
clients will downgrade to using Lanman style printing commands. Windows 9x/ME
will be unaffected by the parameter. However, this will also disable the
ability to upload printer drivers to a Samba server via the Windows NT Add
Printer Wizard or by using the NT printer properties dialog window. It will
also disable the capability of Windows NT/2000 clients to download print
drivers from the Samba host upon demand.  Be very careful about enabling this
parameter.

Default: disable spoolss = no
[/quote]

I suspect you may be seeing the effects of disabling MS-RPCs.
--
P. V.
"We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you." Red Green

Linux & Windows Clients'
(http://www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtosambaprint_1.html)

Long time since, but I think that's the hack to get rid of the message.

--
'Drop in and visit some time'
(http://www.swerdna.net.au/linux.html).

0
swerdna
5/9/2009 2:26:02 AM
I did both and it works perfect. :) Thank You

--
iroybk
iroybk's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=27342