Single IP address to Multiple NICs

My servers Netbios name is BGRSVR-X, it currently has one IP address
192.168.1.224.  There are several shares on the machine (it's running
Suse 11.0 KDE3.5 by the way).

My Linux "clients" connect to it using fstab and the IP address of the
machine (for some reason i can't "find" it when i look for the netbios
name?) example fstab would be something like:-

\\192.168.1.224\music \home\badger_fruit\lan\music ....

The problem is, as I get more content and the kids grow, there is more
demand on the poor network card (the pc is good enough as it's 3ghz and
has 1gb ram)!

I thought if i put in a few more (possibly one NIC per share?) NICs
then it would spread out the load and improve the end-user experience
(wow, corporate speak and it's before lunchtime!) but they would need to
share the same IP address.

QUESTION 1: IS IT POSSIBLE?
and if it is
*Question 2: is there a guide or online help someone can point me at?*

--
badger_fruit

badger
1/12/2009 10:26:01 AM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 0 followers. Follow

yes it is possible, you have to create bridges

'Bridging - openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/Bridging) is a good
start, use netcontrol instead of networkmanager
(/etc/sysconfig/network/config)

i'll have a look into it, because the howto is writen for 10.3...

--
inktvis75
inktvis75's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=19051

0
inktvis75
1/12/2009 10:46:02 AM
To do what you are asking for requires NIC bonding, NIC teaming, link
aggregation and probably other synonyms. You can easily find HOWTOs,
e.g.

'NIC Bonding/Teaming - Debian Sarge | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and
Tutorials' (http://www.howtoforge.com/nic_bonding)

Or you could buy a gigabit NIC if you currently have 100Mbit.

Bridging is a different concept.

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221