setting up a network between Windows XP, Windows 7 opensuse

Hi

I need some advise about setting up a wireless network, never had to do
this before. My partner has just purchased a fancy laptop, which will
have windows7. I have a desktop with two hard drives one with Opensuse
11.2 64 bits, the other with Windows XP. At present my box is connect
directly via cable to the netgear DG834Gv2 router, that comes with me
ISP.. May questions are;
- can i have my box cabled to the router at the same time as using the
router to connect the laptop by wireless?
- Does Suse have a program for setting up such networks?
I have the feeling this could be a bit of a challenge.

Cheers, Keith

--
Keith4law

Keith4law
12/4/2009 4:26:01 PM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Yep, this router has 4 LAN ports and integrated wireless. The only thing
required is to configure the netgear router and then the laptop can use
the internet concurrently with the desktop (sharing available
bandwidth).

--
Think twice. Hit enter once.
vodoo's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=18902

0
vodoo
12/4/2009 5:06:02 PM
Keith4law;2081712 Wrote:
> - Does Suse have a program for setting up such networks?
Which ones? If you simply want internet access on both the desktop (no
matter the OS) and on the laptop then like mentioned before all you
should need to do is visited the web interface of the router and set it
up for wireless access. (usually this means settings the security type
to WPA2 and entering a passphrase, then on the laptop you find the SSID
of your router, click the network and enter the same passphrase)

So basically if all you want is wireless internet access on your
partners laptop then your desktop has nothing to do with it and you're
probably better off asking for help on a more general forum (as this has
nothing to do with openSUSE in that case).

--
'Special effects' (http://tiny.cc/Y0T) <- KDE 4.2 Showing off
More KDE -> ' PINK KDE' (http://tiny.cc/v30h)
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=427829

0
Axeia

Network Adapter Drivers for Windows* 2000, Windows* XP and Windows Server* 2003
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=&DwnldID=4275&strOSs=OSFullName=&lang=eng or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ntk46 Installs base drivers, Intel� PROSet for Windows* Device Manager, and Advanced Networking Services (ANS) for Intel� network adapters for Windows* 2000, Windows* XP, and Windows Server* 2003. Download the self-extracting archive and run it. When you run it, it will extract the files to a temporary directory, run the installation wizard, and remove the temporary files when the installation is complet...

URL Handling Vulnerability in Windows XP and Windows Server,2003 with Windows Internet Explorer 7 Could Allow Remote Code Execution
Boy, that's a long subject line - but it's the title of Microsoft's KB article: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/943521.mspx -- Microsoft details (a bit) its changes to URL, more correctly URI, handling in IE 7 on WinXP and Windows 2003. The problem is that IE 7 code "tries to fix up" malformed URIs, then passes the fixed-up URI to the ShellExecute procedure (on XP and Win2003). http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2007/10/10/msrc-blog-additional-details-and-background-on-security-advisory-943521.aspx OR http://tinyurl.com/yoadp8 ...

Windows 7 and Window's 2000 networking issue
This is one of those "Computer A (running WINDOWS 7)" cannot see "Computer B (running WINDOWS 2000) but Computer B can see "computer A" problems. A friend just got a computer with windows 7 on it and is trying to get it to see an older computer running windows 2000. A Linksys router is managing the local ip addresses of each of these computers. Another computer, running Windows XP can see Computer B fine and communicate. I believe each time this xp machine goes to connect with computer B, it has to type in a username and password. IP addresses are man...

How to Set Up Wireless Networking on Windows XP SP2
followup to grc.security.wireless How to Set Up Wireless Networking on Windows XP SP2 http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/excerpt/winxpannoy2_ch07_05/index.html ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Editor's note: David Karp's Windows XP Annoyances for Geeks, 2nd Edition, offers tips and workarounds that let the geek in you customize Windows XP to your liking. In this selected excerpt from Chapter 7 of the book, David shows you how to get unwired. If you're on a wireles...

measuring network traffic from Windows XP Pro PCs to/from Windows 2K server
hi,  is there any tool that I can use to determine how much network traffic a specific XP Pro PC sends/receives via its  network card over a period of time.  We run several PCs with different applications on and need to find out which one(s) seem to be really thrashing the  network with data packets.  Any and all help muchly appreciated. Many thanks. netmon http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/14993/14993.html?Ad=1 ? RTFM - straight talk for web developers. Unmoderated, uncensored, occasionally unreadableJason Brown - MVP, IIS...

WinsockXPFix utility repairs Windows XP network settings
...."In the past I've recommended repairing the network stack using the NETSH command, but users often want something less intimidating and more user-friendly. Enter the WinsockXPFix utility. From what I've learned from many shareware repositories, this utility can save users from "scrape and reinstall" Windows."... <http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1249901,00.html> or http://preview.tinyurl.com/2arsuj -- js ...

Hacking Windows XP: Speed Up Your Network and Internet Access
This excerpt from the ExtremeTech book, Hacking Windows XP, shows you how to tweak the Windows XP System Registry settings to improve network and Internet speed. The speed of your network connection doesn't just depend on the speed of your hardware. Windows is an operating system that is designed to work on a variety of different hardware and network setups. Because of the abstract nature of the operating system, it cannot be optimized for user-specific hardware setups. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1724415,00.asp -- Regard: Joh@nnes � :-)) "If U know n...

Windows 7 like network resource monitoring tool for XP
I know it was mentioned in an episode of past...a tool that graphically shows network activity on my XP workstation, and the associated process/exe with real time update. If you have not seen it yet, Windows 7 resource monitoring tool is excellent for this. I searched linkfarm and Securitynow show notes, but I cant seem to remember the tool that was mentioned. Any help would be greatly appreciated. In article <h31a94$1emg$1@news.grc.com>, on Tue, 7 Jul 2009 22:16:51 -0700, Tighe wrote: | I know it was mentioned in an episode of past...a tool that graphicall...

Windows 7 like network resource monitoring tool for XP #2
I know it was mentioned in an episode of past...a tool that graphically shows network activity on my XP workstation, and the associated process/exe with real time update. If you have not seen it yet, Windows 7 resource monitoring tool is excellent for this. I searched linkfarm and Securitynow show notes, but I cant seem to remember the tool that was mentioned. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

How to set up a small network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)
Last Review: May 7, 2007 Revision: 5.1 "The "Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition" guide includes the following topics: Part 1. Introduction: Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition Part 2. Buying the Network Hardware Part 3. Connecting the Computers Part 4. Installing the Network Card Part 5. Configuring TCP/IP Protocol Part 6. Setting the Computer Names and the Workgroups Part 7. Sharing Folders Part 8. Sharing a Printer" <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/en-us> -- js ...

Networking Windows ME and XP
I have a problem with trying to network my two computers together. I have a Desktop computer that has Windows ME and a Laptop that I travel with that has Windows XP. I have all of the Protocols installed and it sees the files but says I don't have enough memory and that I need to quit some programs. I have 256MB of Memory installed though. Can any one help me? Thanks Jeff Weir I also forgot to mention that I have Satelite Internet on my Desktop computer with ME and was wondering if there was a way that I could use a Router to share the internet and network? The Modem for the ...

Your Internet Explorer home page is reset to "about:blank" and Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) unexpectedly quits in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003
followup to grc.security.software Your Internet Explorer home page is reset to "about:blank" and Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) unexpectedly quits in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894269/EN-US/ ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Article ID : 894269 Last Review : February 25, 2005 Revision : 1.0 SYMPTOMS On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, or Microsoft Windo...

How To Replace Windows XP With Windows 7
Many Windows XP users have decided to skip the Windows Vista operating system due to countless problems reported in the early days of its release. Especially performance related issues where the main culprit why many Windows XP users decided to wait for Vista's successor instead. The release of Windows 7 is not that far away anymore. Microsoft did already make announcements regarding the possible upgrade opportunities. In short; Windows XP users will be able to buy an upgrade edition of Windows 7 but will not be able to upgrade the operating system itself to Windows 7. They ...

Problem in Windows XP but not in Windows 7
Hello, I have installed PB 11.5 in a Windows 7. I developed an application that connects to an Oracle database using the O10 controller. I created the executable file and I leave it in a shared folder that other useres in my organization can access. In this folder I copy the content of the c:\program files\sybase\shared\powerbuilder to allow my users run the program. In the program there is a window that has a datawindow which insert files in the database. In clients with windows 7 works fine, but in clients with windows XP when I run the command dw_1.update() I get a...

How to open a Windows Session with no Network Window popup
Hello, I am trying to authenticate my users with there Windows Credential (AD). I know if I select Window Authentification IIS will pop a window so the user, if not logged on, will be able to set his ID and PW. I do not want the pop up Window. I absolutelly have to get the information via a web page and then open there Window sesison. I can't seem to find the functions to programmatically create a window sesison via a web page. Is possible ThanksEric BlaisWeb Developperblaireau47(@)hotmail.comAlways looking for a new challenge Whether or not the dialog box appears depends o...

Web resources about - setting up a network between Windows XP, Windows 7 opensuse - opensuse.org.network-internet

openSUSE.org
openSUSE is a free and Linux-based operating system for your PC, Laptop or Server. You can surf the web, manage your e-mails and photos, do office ...

openSUSE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... initial release of the community project was a beta version of SUSE Linux 10.0, and as of November 16, 2011 the current stable release is openSUSE ...

openSUSE
openSUSE forum. The openSUSE project is a worldwide community program sponsored by Novell that promotes the use of Linux everywhere. The program ...

openSUSE
The project is a worldwide effort that promotes the use of Linux everywhere. creates one of the world's best Linux distributions, working together ...

openFATE - openSUSE Feature tracking
© 2010 Novell, Inc. All rights reserved. Novell is a registered trademark and openSUSE and SUSE are trademarks of Novell, Inc. in the United ...

openSUSE Mailinglist Archives
Home - Content - Search - Mailinglist Archive: Overview Announce opensuse-announce English Announcements concerning the openSUSE project opensuse-bugs ...

openSUSE News
The latest news from the openSUSE project

Attachmate says openSUSE lives, UNIX copyrights not sold to MS
Novell's IP sale to Microsoft and pending acquisition by Attachmate raised …

openSUSE Education says 'get a Li-f-e'
If Linux is good enough for the International Space Station , why not your school computers? The developers over at openSUSE must think so, today ...

openSUSE 11 on VirtualBox
... you have to choose how much RAM and disk space you want to waste. As usual, the more the merrier. Next step is to download and install openSUSE ...