opensuse 12.1 connected to router, but no transfer

hi guys,

I have a laptop with both OpenSUSE 12.1 and WinXP installed on it

I'm connecting to the internet through a Tenda wireless router (very
poor router, i know)

the problem is that even though I'm connected to the router, wired or
wireless, it seems like I don't have any transfer
I can't ping 'Google' (http://www.google.com) but I can connect to the
routers web interface, from there it all seems okay, and also from
network manager, but i still don't get any transfer...but in XP I do..so
I guess it's not a problem of network card but a configuration issue...

could somebody guide me to, or through a connection settings...??

thanks

--
harvested

harvested
4/9/2012 10:46:03 AM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 0 followers. Follow

harvested;2454870 Wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> I have a laptop with both OpenSUSE 12.1 and WinXP installed on it
>
> I'm connecting to the internet through a Tenda wireless router (very
> poor router, i know)
>
> the problem is that even though I'm connected to the router, wired or
> wireless, it seems like I don't have any transfer
> I can't ping 'Google' (http://www.google.com) but I can connect to the
> routers web interface, from there it all seems okay, and also from
> network manager, but i still don't get any transfer...but in XP I do..so
> I guess it's not a problem of network card but a configuration issue...
>
> could somebody guide me to, or through a connection settings...??
>
> thanks
Can You ping 8.8.8.8 ? What is the contents of your /etc/resolv.conf
file ?

Code:
--------------------
    ~> cat /etc/resolv.conf
--------------------

to check.

Best regards,
Greg

--
Box: Windows 7 / Windows XP | Intel Dual-Core E5200 | ATI Radeon HD4850
| 4GB RAM
Lap: openSUSE 11.4 / Windows 7 | Intel U7300 | KDE 4.8.1 | Intel GMA
4500 | Asus UL80A | 3GB RAM
glistwan's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=50306
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474240

0
glistwan
4/9/2012 11:26:03 AM
yes, pinging 8.8.8.8 does work

here is the content of /etc/resolv.conf

Code:
--------------------

  ### /etc/resolv.conf file autogenerated by netconfig!
  #
  # Before you change this file manually, consider to define the
  # static DNS configuration using the following variables in the
  # /etc/sysconfig/network/config file:
  #     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST
  #     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS
  #     NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER
  # or disable DNS configuration updates via netconfig by setting:
  #     NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=''
  #
  # See also the netconfig(8) manual page and other documentation.
  #
  # Note: Manual change of this file disables netconfig too, but
  # may get lost when this file contains comments or empty lines
  # only, the netconfig settings are same with settings in this
  # file and in case of a "netconfig update -f" call.
  #
  ### Please remove (at least) this line when you modify the file!
  search site
  nameserver 78.96.7.88
  nameserver 192.168.0.1

--------------------

--
harvested
harvested's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=58031
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474240

0
harvested
4/9/2012 12:16:02 PM
On 2012-04-09 14:16, harvested wrote:

> yes, pinging 8.8.8.8 does work
>
> here is the content of /etc/resolv.conf

Try using different nameservers. Like 8.8.8.8

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
4/9/2012 12:33:05 PM
yes, I've already done that...and I can see that pinging 8.8.8.8 does
work

but I still don't get any other transfer via HTTP requests through
Firefox...

--
harvested
harvested's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=58031
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474240

0
harvested
4/9/2012 1:16:03 PM
How did you setup networking? Put the IP of your router in Yast -
Network - Networksettings - Gateway address.

Question: In the same application in the General tab, is IPv6 enabled?
If so, disable, reboot and try again.

--
- Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 30 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540,
openSUSE 11.3 x86_64 + KDE 4.7 + GNOME 3

ANYTHING THAT CAN GO WRONG.... WILL TEACH US

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474240

0
Knurpht
4/9/2012 1:56:03 PM
Networking is set up by the NetworkManager app from KDE,
I've disabled IPv6 from NetworkManage and also from Yast Network,
I've manually set-up the IP, SubnetMask and also Gateway for my card
but I still don't get any traffic... :|

--
harvested
harvested's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=58031
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474240

0
harvested
4/9/2012 2:36:02 PM
On 2012-04-09 15:16, harvested wrote:

> yes, I've already done that...and I can see that pinging 8.8.8.8 does
> work
>
> but I still don't get any other transfer via HTTP requests through
> Firefox...

Does the command "host google.com" work? If it does, then FF is
reconfigured. Perhaps you defined a proxy - or your network does indeed
have a proxy and you did not define it.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
4/9/2012 6:58:05 PM
On 2012-04-09 20:58, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Does the command "host google.com" work? If it does, then FF is
> reconfigured. Perhaps you defined a proxy - or your network does indeed
> have a proxy and you did not define it.

Sorry, errata:
misconfigured, no reconfigured. The spellchecher acted up :-(

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
4/9/2012 7:03:06 PM
I've tested "host google.com" and this is what I got

Code:
--------------------

  host google.com
  ;; reply from unexpected source: 193.231.189.18#53, expected 192.168.0.1#53
  ;; reply from unexpected source: 193.231.189.18#53, expected 192.168.0.1#53

--------------------

i don't know why it says 193.231.189.18 because I've set up the gateway
to be 192.168.0.1

--
harvested
harvested's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=58031
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474240

0
harvested
4/10/2012 4:36:03 PM
harvested;2455184 Wrote:
> I've tested "host google.com" and this is what I got

Code:
--------------------
  >   >
  > host google.com
  > ;; reply from unexpected source: 193.231.189.18#53, expected 192.168.0.1#53
  > ;; reply from unexpected source: 193.231.189.18#53, expected 192.168.0.1#53

--------------------

> i don't know why it says 193.231.189.18 because I've set up the
> gateway to be 192.168.0.1
So what does your /etc/resolv.conf look like now ? Does it include
8.8.8.8 before all other nameservers ?

Did You define any nameservers in YaST in addition to what You've got
configured in NetworkManager profile ?

Does creating a different NetworkManager profile with different
nameservers and switching between then changes your /etc/resolv.conf as
well ?

Best regards,
Greg

Best regards,
Greg

--
Box: Windows 7 / Windows XP | Intel Dual-Core E5200 | ATI Radeon HD4850
| 4GB RAM
Lap: openSUSE 11.4 / Windows 7 | Intel U7300 | KDE 4.8.1 | Intel GMA
4500 | Asus UL80A | 3GB RAM
glistwan's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=50306
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=474240

0
glistwan
4/10/2012 7:06:02 PM
On 2012-04-10 18:36, harvested wrote:

> i don't know why it says 193.231.189.18 because I've set up the gateway
> to be 192.168.0.1

Probably the gateway redirects to that server (it is a ns). And it doesn't
work. So, do not put your gateway there, put a ns that works.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos

Share Network connections on 12.1
Hi all i am a little confused as it has been a while since i have used any linux distro. I have a IBM xSeries 345 Server with 2 gigabit nic's one is going direct to the router via DHCP and the other nic is going to a PFSence Server but for some reason i cannot get network share to work over Yast2. Both network cards are installed and working on their own. i have followed the tutorial for setting up ICS ('openSUSE ICS: Internet Connection Sharing (Linux IP Masquerading) with Suse or Windows Servers' (http://opensuse.swerdna.org/suseics.html)) some help would be...

network connection does not work on restart of installled 12.1
I have a been a openSuSE or SuSE user since 9.3. This is the first time this has happened to me and though it may not apply to the 12.1, it appears to me to be. I have installed 12.1 a second time and the same problem develops. After the initial start the internet service does not come up on the next boot [ I am using Kubuntu at the moment]. Using YAST [the system comes up fine - but no network connection] I restart the connection, but after the next boot, that does not work either. Another problem that is minor in appearance is that a correct password for login either for the main u...

12.1 M5 KDE won't connect to any wireless network
System uses a broadcom legacy chip(not sure which one off the top of my head), but had no issues setting it up successfully with the install_bcm43xx_firmware script. It scans networks and works properly except it cannot actually connect to any of them. Networks tested had WPA, WEP, and no encryption. User credentials were confirmed to be correct by using them on other devices with no issues. Issue exists with both knetworkmanager and ifup. I haven't tested Wicd because I really don't want to use an 11.4 repository on 12.1, though I'm aware that the odds of real damag...

12.1 refuses connection with LinuxMint 12 over LAN
Hello. I upgraded from 11.4 to 12.1 on a box I basically use as a Raid1 server. My main box is now running LinuxMint 12. Using 11.3 and 11.4 on the Raid box, Mint saw a computer icon in 'network browser', I think sftp, came up with a dialog box to input password, then accessed the full opensuse system. SMB from my win7 machine worked fine with shared files and still does. Now, when clicking on the computer icon in 'network browser', I get a curt 'connection refused by server'. Firewall is turned off. I can ping the 12.1 box. My command line expertise is useles...

Help-My Internet Connection Disappeared from my Network Connections Folder
My Internet Connection disappeared from my Network Connections Folder. This is not to say I'm not connected to the internet, I am. I think this disappearing act may have happened a time or two before and I can't remember how I got my Internet Connection back. I run Xp Pro and a Linksys wireless Access Point Router for my dsl connection. When I click on the Network Connections folder all I see is my LAN connection and my dialup connection I know it's probably something stupid, but I can't recall it and I'm going nuts trying to figure it out. The xp help is worthl...

Slow internet connection / no internet connection
Recently I have started seeing a strange behavior with my notebook which runs opensuse 12.1 The internet became extremely slow, though it seemed to have an IP Address etc obtained through DHCP. The internet was fine before that I have not made any major changes like OS installation etc. The internet seemed to be fine when accessed from the Windows boot. At work there was no internet connection at all. I saw a few posts about ipv6, etc. However the internet was working fine earlier on. This led me to compare the processes running on the notebook with those on my desktop where the i...

setting up 1.5.1 undid my direct connection to internet.
Name: Jean Provost Email: jjpjjp_at_verizon.net Product: Firefox Summary: setting up 1.5.1 undid my direct connection to internet. Comments: Am Running Firefox 1.5. Recwently received automatically downloaded 1.5.1. ran set up. New version wiped out my "direct connection" to the internet. Reloaded 1.5 (without the update) everything worked. Again received the 1.5.1 update. Again ran set up. (I quess I thought the first time had been an anomaly) Same thing - No direct connection. Again reloaded 1.5. Everything good. Again automatic download of 1.5.1 Since ...

Problem with wireless connection after updating from 11.1 to 12.1
I had multiple problems with my internet connection when upgrading from opensuse 11.1 to 12.1. (I have 64 bit version). At first I couldn't start up opensuse until I connected my LAN cable. The problem is described here: http://tinyurl.com/7bqh9b7 I solved this issue by updating the NetworkManager. Still some problems remain. I cannot use WLAN: The following things are irritating: 1) The NetworkManager does not start up automatically (no symbol in the task bar). When I plug in the LAN cable the internet works fine (still no symbol from NetworkManager) 2) I want now to...

Seamonkey 1.1.18 and 2 faijed to connect to internet and mail.
Upgrade from 1.1.17 failed. Internet Explorer 8 and Mozilla Firefox 3.0.11= still work. I have Windows XP home edition. The modem is A-LINK=2C ADSL2+= 4-PORT+WLAN=2C RR24AP(i+). If i have to stay in Explorer or Firefox how to= move my mail and bookmarks there?. _________________________________________________________________ Jaa muistosi verkossa haluamiesi henkil=F6iden kanssa. http://www.microsoft.com/finland/windows/windowslive/products/photos-share.= aspx?tab=3D1= Pentti Mannonen wrote: > Upgrade from 1.1.17 failed. Internet Explorer 8 and Mozilla Firefox > 3.0.11...

Problem with connection cache EASERVER 5.1/ASE 12.5.1
I have just migrated our application of EASERVER 4.2.4 (developer edition) towards EASERVER 5.1 (licensed advanced edition). I have two connection cache (ODBC, JDBC) with a ASE 12.5.1. it's a mixed-site PowerDynamo (ODBC) and JSP (JDBC). I have this problem which occurs in a random way (ODBC Cache) : oct. 18 08:50:59 2004: Error: An attempt was made to obtain an XA connection from cache: 'intermetiers', but 2 Phase Commit option is not licensed for this server. oct. 18 08:50:59 2004: HTMLDW: RetrieveEX Failed, DB message below oct. 18 08:50:59 2004: HTMLDW: Canno...

Was impatient for 12.1, so 12.1 RC to be
Yesterday my patient for waiting 12.1 ended and decide to download the RC. To start with critics - there's no progress-bar/animation on boot time :( However, the look of the live CD desktop absolutely compensate for that. I decide that it won't hurt to install on actual hard drive. After nice install and autoconfig, there's come the KDM log-in screen...Oh, Lord! Was I totally blown away? Oh, yes! The log-in, and the transition to the desktop is the most slick experience of that kind that any OS has today(on top of my head the most polish and beautiful of all time). With ...

No internet connection via proxy after update Mozilla 1.4 to 1.5
Hi, after I updated from Mozilla 1.4 to 1.5, I cannot get any connection to the internet via our proxy server (is configured by an automatic proxy configuration URL; "reload" doesn't help either). I have updated the same machine since 1.0 and this is the first time such a problem happens. Uninstalling 1.5 and reinstalling 1.4 gives the internet connection back. (Also all other internet-related programs work fine.) Any ideas? Thanks, Olaf ...

Network Internet connection
Just upgraded to opensuse12.1 from a positively neolithic 11.1 and have discovered that I have lost my internet connection through the network. Does anyone have a check list so I can track down the problem? -- Nemetode ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 2012-02-20 13:46, Nemetode wrote: > > Just upgraded to opensuse12.1 from a positively neolithic 11.1 and have > discovered that I have lost my internet connection through the network. > Does anyone have a check list so I can track down the problem? If you are using Y...

Do I need to install 12.5.1 GA before 12.5.1 ESD #1
I've fallen a little behind with upgrades, and am still on 12.5.0.3 EBF 11339 (Win 2K Server), so following the recent security alert, i've decided to upgrade to 12.5.3. My question is - can I skip most/all of the intermediate releases or do I need to install each individual release/EBF between 12.5.0.3 and 12.5.3? For instance, in the 12.5.1 ESD #1 release, the readme file says that you must already be at 12.5.1 to install it - If this is true, where do I get the 12.5.1 GA from - it's not available as a download! TIA, BB Release Terminology: EBF: An official sof...

No internet with 12.1
Should probably be easy, but I can't find the solution up till now. After clean install of 12.1 no wired or wireless connection can be made anymore. Since Suse 10.1 never any update problem but now it won't work. Got networkmanager working (wasn't working be default) but now I'm stuck. Networkmanager says there is a connection but can't go on the internet. How can I diagnose this problem and fix it? -- Silverstone TJ09/Asus P5K-E/Intel E6750 dualcore/NVIDIA 8600GT/Suse 11.4 with Gnome (and KDE on laptop Inspiron6000) -----------------------------------------...

Web resources about - opensuse 12.1 connected to router, but no transfer - opensuse.org.network-internet

Connected sum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In mathematics , specifically in topology , the operation of connected sum is a geometric modification on manifolds . Its effect is to join two ...

‘The Washington Post’ Cranks Up Facebook-Connected Political News App The Issue Engine
The Washington Post enhanced its coverage of the 2012 presidential election with its release of news application The Issue Engine , which allows ...

The Value of a Facebook-connected Mobile User
... back more often, and are more likely to become paying customers. Many top game developers, for example, have also found that Facebook-connected ...

Facebook mobile game users play longer, spend more than users not connected with the social network
Mobile game players logged in via Facebook generate more revenue for developers, Facebook Games Strategic Partner Manager Sara Brooks said today ...

CMS-Connected (@cmsconnected) on Twitter
Webinar on Saving your Intranet from the Boneyard (and more) with @sethearley @RHarbridge @JiveSoftware Here => ow.

Better connected: Twitter for BlackBerry
A new version of Twitter for BlackBerry introduces new features that make it easier to connect to the people and things you care about. Twitter ...

Global Trade Network-Exporters,Importers,Manufacturers,Wholesalers,Suppliers,Buyers Connected
Find, Connect & Engage with new Buyers, Suppliers, Manufacturers, Wholesalers, Exporters and Importers all-over the world.

Republicans Connected for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Republicans Connected on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Microsoft, Harman envision the connected car as an office
Filed under: 2016 CES , Infotainment , Technology Microsoft and Harman want to help drivers get their work done behind the wheel by safely bringing ...

How smart, connected devices can help businesses prosper
You might already know that the number of mobile-connected devices has already exceeded the world’s population, and in order to survive, businesses ...