NIS setup with user home directory on one server

Hi all,

I am new to OpenSuse.

I am attempting to setup the following:

1.User login/authentication via a single NIS server.
2. User home directory should also be on the Same NIS server.
3. If possible to setup a single shared home directory for all users.

OpenSuse version 11.2

There are twelve workstations from which users  will login using the
NIS authentication.

I have succeeded in setting up NI server. However login fails as the
home directory is not accessible.

Any help / suggestions would be welcome.

Tushar

--
tvyoda

tvyoda
5/4/2010 8:46:02 PM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 20:46 +0000, tvyoda wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to OpenSuse.
>
> I am attempting to setup the following:
>
> 1.User login/authentication via a single NIS server.
> 2. User home directory should also be on the Same NIS server.
> 3. If possible to setup a single shared home directory for all users.
>
> OpenSuse version 11.2
>
> There are twelve workstations from which users  will login using the
> NIS authentication.
>
> I have succeeded in setting up NI server. However login fails as the
> home directory is not accessible.

Did you export the home directory via NFS off the server where the home
dirs reside?

Also, you want to look at using a location other than /home, else make
sure that all local dirs go somewhere else.

> Any help / suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Tushar

0
cjcox
5/4/2010 10:31:03 PM
Sorry to sound dumb btu can you elaborate on exporitng home directory
via NFS please?

Tushar

--
tvyoda
tvyoda's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=45312

0
tvyoda
5/5/2010 8:46:01 AM
I suppose that when you know about NIS, you know about NFS. NFS is the
software that makes it possible to have the disk space of one system
available on the other. Thus when you have the home directories of your
users physical on one system you use NFS to have them also on the other
system. OR, when you have all the users on both systems, you do not
export/mount every individual home directory, but the whole /home
directory from one system to the other(s).

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
hcvv
5/5/2010 9:16:02 AM
On  the NFS server you must have the packages  nfs-kernel-server and
yast-nfs-server installed. Then you can go to YaST > Network > Netwotk
Services > NFS Server to configure and start. Of course you first make
sure you know what NFS is and what you want with it.

On the clients you should have nfs-client installed. Again YaST >
Network services > NFS Client will help you configuring.

When you think you understand what you are doing and during the above
processes you have questions, please ask.

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
hcvv
5/5/2010 9:26:01 AM
Thanks.

Looks like I need to look at NFS as well.

Tushar

--
tvyoda
tvyoda's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=45312
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
tvyoda

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
hcvv
5/5/2010 10:16:02 AM
Follow the advice, do some reading first. I run this config in a couple
of networks for customers; if you need help after reading, get back
here

And.......a warm welcome to the community

--
- Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB, 30 GB SSD, 1.5 TB, 9800GT, 11.2+KDE4 4.4
- ASUS K70IO laptop, GT120M-1GB, 4 GB, 64 GB SSD, 11.2+KDE4 4.4

*Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us*
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
Knurpht
5/5/2010 1:16:02 PM
tvyoda wrote:
> Sorry to sound dumb btu can you elaborate on exporitng home directory
> via NFS please?
>
> Tushar

It's easily done through YaST.  Go to network services and  you'll see (or
should see) an option for NFS server.  I'd only do NFS4 if your network is all
Linux or contemporary Unix clients.  The next panel allows you to export
directories.  If they need to be read/write, make sure to use the rw option in
the options list.

Then, IMHO, you need to look at how to push out an automount map for your new
home area so that the clients can automount your NFS area on demand for the home
dirs.

I have an old generic presentation here.... but again, YaST can make some of
this easier, except possibly dealing with maps.  Let's just say, IF you
understand a bit of the detail, you can tweak things quite a bit.  For example
the makefile in /var/yp can be edited to add custom maps (etc.).  Also, in your
nsswitch.conf on client platforms, you may make adjustments to it to only look
to NIS for maps that actually exist.  This isn't horrible on openSUSE as it
makes the correct assumption that normal people don't push a hosts
(nsswitch.conf) map for hostname resolution (use DNS instead).

http://www.ntlug.org/NIS/Presentation

YaST tries to make things easier, but sometimes its like working with an
inexperienced sysadmin... it doesn't necessary do things the "right" way (right
being defined by an experienced sysadmin).
0
Chris
5/5/2010 2:08:30 PM
Hi All,

thanks for all the feedback so far.

I have got a solution of sorts as follows:

Server - setup as NFS and NIS server.
Setup /home as shared directory for nfs with rw permissions.
Setup user accounts - john and dan.
Works fine
Workstation/Client -
- 1. setup as NFS client and linked/mapped(sorry for windoz
terminology) home directory on nfs server to local home dirctory. I had
to update /etc/fstab directly as yaST NFS client would not allow this as
/etc/fstab already has an entry for /home.
- 2. setup NIS client pointing to NFS server.
- WS has only root local account.

Although the firewall settings options were ticked in the YaST menu it
still prevented connection so I have currently disabled firewall.
Currently not an issue. I can address which ports etc to open correctly
later.

I can get users successfully on any workstation setup as NIS client.

problem:
I can log on as, say, john concurrently on both workstations.
However, I can not run the same application on both at the same time.
For example, firefox on WS1 is fine. But when I try to open Firefox on
WS2, it does not let me as it detects it as already open. How can I
overcome this?
In Windoz it is not a problem as a separate set pf "profile" folders
are automatically created on each workstation that the user logs on to,
even concurrently. All temp files are stored locally.

Any ideas to address this issue please?

:|

--
tvyoda
tvyoda's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=45312
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
tvyoda
5/16/2010 11:56:01 AM
You'll need different profiles, I don't see how you can avoid that.
Think of bookmarks, which one should be allowed to update the bookmark
file if the user is allowed to have more than one session concurrent?
Perhaps you can work out something by passing the profile name with -P.

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
ken
5/16/2010 12:16:01 PM
Like ken_yap says, no way you can have one user starting FF twice. FF
puts a lock in /home/USERNAME/.mozilla/firefox/PROFILENAME, as soon as
you start it. Same goes for a lot of other apps. Same goes for M$
networks.
IMHO you use NFS/NIS to have the one and only homedir for a user in one
place. No matter where the user is, he can login and use hesh settings.
But a user cannot be in 2 places at the same time, doing different
things to the same data.

--
- Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB, 30 GB SSD, 1.5 TB, 9800GT, 11.2+KDE4 4.4
- ASUS K70IO laptop, GT120M-1GB, 4 GB, 64 GB SSD, 11.2+KDE4 4.4

*Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us*
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
Knurpht
5/16/2010 1:16:01 PM
It is often  even seen as a security issue when one user is at two
places at the same time.

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
hcvv
5/16/2010 2:16:02 PM
Knurpht;2165498 Wrote:
> Like ken_yap says, no way you can have one user starting FF twice. FF
> puts a lock in /home/USERNAME/.mozilla/firefox/PROFILENAME, as soon as
> you start it. Same goes for a lot of other apps. Same goes for M$
> networks.
> IMHO you use NFS/NIS to have the one and only homedir for a user in one
> place. No matter where the user is, he can login and use hesh settings.
> But a user cannot be in 2 places at the same time, doing different
> things to the same data.

I agree and appreciate what and why of the current setup and agree with
both of you. In W$ as long as you do not setup roaming profiles, each
Workstation to which a user logs onto sets up local working directories
for that working account. So all applications use these local
directories to create their local versions of working files. So I can
for instance log on to WS1 and WS2 as john and run FF on both. Each will
create local instances of temp files. So the problem I am encountering
could not occur.  Is it possible to do the same in Linux?

:|

--
tvyoda
tvyoda's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=45312
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
tvyoda
5/16/2010 7:16:02 PM
Then user data will be local, and there would be no need to export /home
from the server.

--
- Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB, 30 GB SSD, 1.5 TB, 9800GT, 11.2+KDE4 4.4
- ASUS K70IO laptop, GT120M-1GB, 4 GB, 64 GB SSD, 11.2+KDE4 4.4

*Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us*
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
Knurpht
5/16/2010 7:36:01 PM
Knurpht;2165626 Wrote:
> Then user data will be local, and there would be no need to export /home
> from the server.
But that would of course make any configuration changes done by a user
on WS1 not done on WS2, and a file saved on WS1 is not on WS2, etc.

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
hcvv
5/16/2010 7:46:02 PM
Yep, but NFS exports, does not make local copies of exported folders.
And so the .lock file that FF creates if there for user John, no matter
where he does his next step. A lot of the config files in FF use sqlite,
that will not like John attacking the same bookmark record from 2
places.
What would be next, having the same doc open as one user on 2 different
machines and keep changes from both in the doc?

--
- Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB, 30 GB SSD, 1.5 TB, 9800GT, 11.2+KDE4 4.4
- ASUS K70IO laptop, GT120M-1GB, 4 GB, 64 GB SSD, 11.2+KDE4 4.4

*Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us*
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
Knurpht
5/16/2010 8:26:01 PM
Thanks for all your feedback - very valuable and most appreciated.

I can now implement it live.

I would like to prevent user logins list from being displayed at the
login screen on the KDE login screen. I presume this would be best
posted to the KDE section.:)  Here we go again.;)

--
tvyoda
tvyoda's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=45312
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
tvyoda
5/17/2010 3:46:01 PM
From a normal KDE login, the configuration thingy from the main menu (I
do not know the exact english term, have a translatiuon here), the
advanced > login screen. Look through the tabs.

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438266

0
hcvv

User Home directory
Very strange situation. Hope I am missing something simple... Home directory public_html folders are working for all users in Teachers container. Also working for most users in Staff container. However, several public_html for users in Staff container are not working. If I move the user objects to Teacher container (leaving directories where they are) they work! What should I be looking at? LDAP, Public trustee rights, something else? Thanks in advance... Additional info... The affected users also have a workstation object with the same name... So it appears that Netware is searching ...

Server Rename User Home Directories
I renamed a NetWare 6.5 sp3 server. Everything seemed to go ok except now the user home dir attribute in NDS is gone. Is there an easy way to get this back or is it divide and conquer time. Thanks, Brian -- Brian T. Payne BS, CNA 5, Net+ Mount Vernon Nazarene University Mount Vernon, OH 43050 email: bpayne@mvnu.edu Brian Payne wrote: > I renamed a NetWare 6.5 sp3 server. Everything seemed to go ok except now > the user home dir attribute in NDS is gone. Is there an easy way to get > this back or is it divide and conquer time. http://www.novell.com/co...

move user home directory to secondary server
I have to move user home directories to a secondary server. What's the best way to establish the new home directory reference in console one. I can go to the screen containing the home directory reference and manually enter the new location. Is there an automated way to do this??? i have already taken care of rights on the secondary server. Any Ideas??? asalazar@ci.chico.ca.us wrote: > I have to move user home directories to a secondary server. What's > the best way to establish the new home directory reference in console > one. I can go to the screen contain...

Move user home directory to new server
I want to move multiple users home direcotry to new server, the only change is server and volume, there is no change on path. How can I do this? I tried NWadmin to modify multiple users, after I put in new volume and apply the change, the path have been overwirte, and become blank. I tried to put variable %username or %login_name, they won't pick it up. , > How can I do this? > You could use UIMPORT for this, or easier SETHOME from the JRB utilities. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com) Pedag...

Home directory not having same contents after adding user for different server
Hi, I add users using the command for all the server I use eg for server 66 which has opensuse 12.1 Code: -------------------- powerme@msvlsi66:~> su - Password: msvlsi66:~ # useradd -g users -d /export/home/patil66 -m patil66 msvlsi66:~ # passwd patil66 Changing password for patil66. New Password: Bad password: it is based on a dictionary word Reenter New Password: Password changed. msvlsi66:~ # -------------------- Similarly for server 62 which has opensuse 10.3 Code: -------------------- msvlsi62 home/liuc> su - P...

Move User home directories to new volume on same server
Running NW65SP7. We would like to move our USER home directories from one NSS volume to another NSS volume on the same server. We have used the 3rd party NWCOPY utility in the past for large inter/intra server file copies and it seems to work good. Since NWCOPY allows us to pre-copy the data in smaller chunks at a convenient time and then do a smaller delta/synch copy when the final cutover is planned, we likely plan on using this utility in combination with some other utilities like HOMES to change the eDir home directory attributes and file rights. Just wanted to get some i...

Allowing internet user full access to a directory on a server
We are running Netware 6.5 SP3 with Apache 2.0.52. I am using a product called Moodle and Moodle needs the Internet user to have read and write access to a specific folder. How is this accomplished with Apache running on Netware 6.5? Thanks, Gary Sawtelle gsawtelle@op97.org Hi Gary, I am running Moodle on pretty much the same configuration but have not run into any file rights issues. What specifically are you needing to do and what are the symptoms? -Richard G. >>> <gsawtelle@op97.org> 4/26/2005 1:46:37 PM >>> We are running Netware 6.5 SP3 with...

How to setup different home directories and .INI locations for users.
We are trying to setup a WDK environment similar to what we did with Citrix. In Citrix, each user could have a different "home" directory. Also, each user could have their own WIN.INI. I can't find any reference to this in the WDK documentation. How is it done? I don't believe that is possible. However, you should be able to store user specific information in the registry. On Fri, 07 Apr 2000 18:10:45 GMT, in sybase.public.webdeploykit Matthew Chestnut <NOSPAM_matthewc@proam.com> wrote: >We are trying to setup a WDK environment similar to wh...

Users refused SSH connection of home directory server.
I have an odd situation when using SSH connections for secure FTP file access on my NW6.5 servers. I've got two main data servers. Both are identical in setup: NW6.5SP8/eDir 8.8SP5 VM's running on identical Dell PE1950's attached to a Hitachi SAN array. One server hosts the users' home folders, the other holds data shared across the enterprise. I have a third data server at a remote campus. With the server that hosts the user's home folders, I've several accounts that are not able to connect. The server logs indicate a failed password. That same user,...

Create Directory in Users Home Directory
Hello I was wondering if there was an easy way of creating a directory and coping a file to it in each users home directory, using the login script? Could I just run a batch file like this: @echo off dir F:\homedir\test\test.file 1>2> nul if errorlevel=1 goto test goto end :test mkdir f:\homedir\test xcopy f:\test\test.file f:\homedir\test goto end :end Or is there an easier way? Thanks Jtk, > Or is there an easier way? > ZEN for Desktops... But you can do it with a batch file. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (...

Active Directory user home directory
Hi all. I have a question, how to sync home directorires of users from Identity Vault to Active Directory? Into AD there are 2 LDAP attributes calleds homeDrive (the network drive letter) and homeDirectory that is the network path used to map during user login. My doubt is about the eDirectory volume information. The volume will be not sync to the AD because AD does not recognize this information, right? So, how to sync? I was thinking about create 2 eDirectory attributes where I can write theese informations. What do you think about this? Anyone can help me? Best regards...

Creating a user directory other than home directory
Hey there, I have a two-fold problem. I have JRB utilities but I can not see how to make this work. We created a directory in the users home directory. We want to move all these directories out into another main directory and have the same file rights. Plus, when we add new users, we want this directory to be created automatically. Each teacher has a directory called GQWIN in their home directory. This is their gradebook. We want to move all of the teachers gradebooks into one central "Gradebook" directory, then their username, then the GQWIN directory. Curren...

User's home directory saved in Samba server not locally
Hi guys, Continuing with my assigned task of migrating the company's PCs to GNU/Linux ('openSUSE as server for GNU/Linux clients' (http://tinyurl.com/5sqzjl7)) I managed to set up a DC with roaming profiles for the few remaining Windows users, user validation and login for the openSUSE boxes and a few network shares with different rights. I know there are no roaming profiles for GNU/Linux and I can live with that but I would like to specify wich users/groups would have their home directories saved locally (notebook users) and which will save them on the Samba server...

TID 10090225 How to setup User Home Directories through Apache NW6.5
I have followed this TID to the letter and in a test server NW6.5 sp2 I get the following error, what am I missing? Object not found! The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again. If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster. Error 404 ts03rats01 Friday, September 17, 2004 13:38:13 Apache/2.0.49a (NETWARE) mod_jk/1.2.6-dev Good evening, - Is the LDAP server on a machine separate to the Apache webserver(?), - Are the User Home Directories on a machine separate to the web serv...

Web resources about - NIS setup with user home directory on one server - opensuse.org.network-internet

Wikipedia:Quick directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page is a handy directory to various locations of interest in Wikipedia. Only dynamic pages should be listed here, no policy pages etc. ...

Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Business Directory Listings: Eight Smart Tips for You to Get Started
If you are considering a business directory listing for your small business, congratulations – you are on the right track. Local SEO, local customers, ...

LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory
... continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory" ...

Atlas Partner Directory Launched
... just for Facebook and Instagram –advertising platform Atlas has one, as well. On that note, Atlas Tuesday introduced the Atlas Partner Directory ...

Slack announces App Directory store
... create more apps for the store, and a new framework called Botkit which should simplify the process of creating apps. The Slack App Directory, ...

The British Library’s ‘Save Our Sounds’ Program Creates Directory of UK Sound Collections
The long-feared deterioration of the world's sound collections is a coming to a head with the British Library's last-ditch initiative called ...

Researchers show how to steal Windows Active Directory credentials from the Internet
... showed at the Black Hat security conference. The attack, called an SMB relay, causes a Windows computer that's part of an Active Directory ...

Researchers find way to steal Windows Active Directory credentials from the Internet
The technique could enable attackers to attack Windows servers hosted in the cloud

Slack's App Directory proves it's more than just a chatroom
... are about to get a little easier to find and integrate within your team and over 160 of them live within the company's new Slack App Directory. ...