KDE Networkmanager uses "auto eth0" connection instead of my "home" connection

KDE - Opensuse 11.4.

After a boot the networkmanager always uses the auto eth0 connection
instead of my "home" connection which uses a static ip. I can swhitch it
back manually, but it frustrates me that after each boot, it used the
auto eth0 connection again which uses DHCP instead of static ip.

Note: I have checked "connect automatically" for my home connection,
but it seemes to be ignored...

I know that I could just drop the kde networkmanager and use ifup via
yast, but that is just a workaround and not a solution to my problem.
This problem was also in opensuse 11.3 and hasn't been fixed...

--
suskewiet

suskewiet
6/18/2011 11:36:02 AM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You could try deleting /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/"Auto
eth0" (requires root), though I suspect that it will be recreated.

If the main point is to have a static IP, then the easiest (and usually
the best) thing to do is:

Yast --> Network Devices --> Network Settings --> Global Options

and there you can select "Traditional Method with ifup".

Once you have made that selection, you can also set static IP address
in Yast.

If you really must use NetworkManager, then you can edit "Auto eth0" if
you are running gnome or LXDE.  It is even possible to run the gnome
NetworkManager applet in KDE (look for posts in the wireless forum), and
set it there.  Changing "Auto eth0" settings will require root, as will
Yast.

--
-using opensuse 11.4; KDE 4.6.0;-
nrickert's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49759

0
nrickert
6/18/2011 2:06:02 PM
Well, I don't really get it. What's the point of having a network
manager if all the new connections you set up are never used. It always
falls back on auto eth0. To me, this feels like bad functional design.

And why can we edit/delete auto eth0 in gnome but not in KDE?

Anyway thanks for the reply, I fixed it using the gnome network
manager. But it still disappoints me that this hasn't been fixed in KDE
yet.

--
suskewiet
suskewiet's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=791
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=461666

0
suskewiet
6/18/2011 2:36:03 PM
It is a deficiency of the KDE networkmanager applet (IMO), and I do hope
that gets fixed.

The "ifup" way of doing things is to somewhere keep a bunch of
different versions of "/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0".  Then, to
switch settings, move the desired one into place and run (as root)
"/etc/init.d/network".

I have mostly used "ifup".  At present, I am using NetworkManager (with
"Auto eth0") experimentally.  It seems to be more reliable with "ifup".
Specifically, when I reboot my router things still work fine when using
"ifup".  But, when using NetworkManager, I have to disable networking
and then re-enable networking in the network manager applet in order to
get back to talking to the network.  The router reboot shuts down its
ethernet port, brings it up, runs diagnostics, shuts it down, brings it
up.  The two successive down/up moves seems to confuse NetworkManager,
whereas with "ifup" the network interface is kept configured and the
only effect is a couple of log messages about cable unplugged.

--
-using opensuse 11.4; KDE 4.6.0;-
nrickert's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49759
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=461666

0
nrickert
6/18/2011 4:06:03 PM
Why don't You try plasmoid networkmanagement ? I think it can do just
what You want it to.
'plasmoid_KDE_edit_system_eth0' (http://paste.opensuse.org/37423678)

Best regards,
Greg

--
Box: Windows 7 / Windows XP | Intel Dual-Core E5200 | ATI Radeon HD4850
| 4GB RAM
Lap: openSUSE 11.4 / Windows 7 | Intel U7300 | KDE 4.6.4 | Intel GMA
4500 | Asus UL80A | 3GB RAM
glistwan's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=50306
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=461666

0
glistwan
6/22/2011 4:06:03 AM
glistwan;2356555 Wrote:
> Why don't You try plasmoid networkmanagement ?

Is that a newer version than came with 11.4?  I am not seeing the
options that you are showing.  In particular, I do not see anything in
the "Wired" connections setting, and if I attempt to create a wired
connection, the "System connection" option is grayed out.

--
-using opensuse 11.4; KDE 4.6.0;-
nrickert's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49759
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=461666

0
nrickert
6/22/2011 5:06:02 AM
nrickert;2356568 Wrote:
> Is that a newer version than came with 11.4? I am not seeing the options
> that you are showing. In particular, I do not see anything in the
> "Wired" connections setting, and if I attempt to create a wired
> connection, the "System connection" option is grayed out.
Yes it's the version that comes with KDE 4.6.4 from the KDE stable
repository. Once I get home I can tell You what is the exact version of
the plasmoid.

Best regards,
Greg

--
Box: Windows 7 / Windows XP | Intel Dual-Core E5200 | ATI Radeon HD4850
| 4GB RAM
Lap: openSUSE 11.4 / Windows 7 | Intel U7300 | KDE 4.6.4 | Intel GMA
4500 | Asus UL80A | 3GB RAM
glistwan's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=50306
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=461666

0
glistwan
6/22/2011 7:06:02 AM
Thanks.  That is a change I will be looking forward to, when 12.1 is
available.

--
-using opensuse 11.4; KDE 4.6.0;-
nrickert's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49759
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=461666

0
nrickert
6/22/2011 11:36:02 AM
nrickert;2356702 Wrote:
> Thanks.  That is a change I will be looking forward to, when 12.1 is
> available.
This is the version from which the screenshot was taken :

Code:
--------------------
    rpm -qa plasmoid-networkmanagement
  plasmoid-networkmanagement-0.9.1git20110503-4.1.i586
--------------------

Best regards,
Greg

--
Box: Windows 7 / Windows XP | Intel Dual-Core E5200 | ATI Radeon HD4850
| 4GB RAM
Lap: openSUSE 11.4 / Windows 7 | Intel U7300 | KDE 4.6.4 | Intel GMA
4500 | Asus UL80A | 3GB RAM
glistwan's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=50306
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=461666

0
glistwan
6/22/2011 11:06:02 PM
suskewiet;2354982 Wrote:
> ... I fixed it using the gnome network manager. But it still disappoints
> me that this hasn't been fixed in KDE yet.

Thanks for the tip. I've been struggling with KDE's Networkmanager
since 11.1, over two laptops and a desktop. I also tried the new
plasmoid-networkmanager, and had the same problems as with the KDE
networkmanager. Except for the KDE networkmanager working briefly in
11.2 (I didn't try it in 11.3 since I went straight from 11.2 to 11.4),
the gnome applet is the only thing aside from ifup that works for me - I
can use my WLAN, my wired DSL, and even my Nokia 3720 as a modem.

--
Hippasus
Hippasus's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=59009
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=461666

0
Hippasus

"Using" or "With"

Using "+" or "||"

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

use of "?" operator instead of "if"
Hi: I have this statement which checks for existence of the $VAL variable and performs certain actions if($VAL){ $VAL = "$VAL:$expr"; } else { $VAL = "$expr"; } Can this 4 line statement be reduced to a single line using "?" operator? Thanks Ravi __________________________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Tax Center - File online, calculators, forms, and more http://platinum.yahoo.com It's called the ternary operator, and works like this: $VAL ? $VAL = "$VAL:$expr" : $VAL = "$expr"; IF_EXPR ? T...

quotes, quotes, quotes...

replace the "." with a ","

Replacing "\\" with "\"

Use of "bool" instead of "PR_BOOL"
Hi, While updating my thunderbird comm-central tree, I noticed that a few files now use "bool" instead of "PR_BOOL" for some arguments to some functions. Are these changes intentional? (I presume so.) I wonder if someone can explain the rationale of using "bool" instead of "PR_BOOL" after all these years. To my confusion, the usage of bool is only partial. Not all PR_TRUE, or PR_FALSE are changed. Only some parts. (not sure where, i.e., in which newsgroup, this should be discussed.) TIA PS: Maybe the rationale is that - c++ compi...

"connect" not connecting
--047d7b6daa88824eef04e00a3d35 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 I have been using DBI for several years, and have a fairly extensive group of programs that relay on DBI to connect to a database and extract data. All my programs use a common library of functions that includes a function which connects to the database: $dsn = 'dbi:ODBC:prod1' ; $user = 'user' ; $passwd = 'XXXXXXXX' ; $dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, $user, $passwd, {RaiseError => 1, AutoCommit => 0}) or die "Could not connect to database: "...

double quote

"Me" is better than "You"

"To" and "From" missing

Web resources about - KDE Networkmanager uses "auto eth0" connection instead of my "home" connection - opensuse.org.network-internet