Installing Driver Error - No rule to make target `modules'. Stop.

Hello, I am relatively new to linux and am running into a problem.  I
just got a new laptop and need to configure/install it's wireless driver
but am getting an error when running "make".  The error is:
make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop/build'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'.  Stop.

I have scoured these forums and know that others have the same issue
(when configuring other drivers/programs).  I am sorry if this post is
redundant.  It sounds like the Makefile is pointing to the wrong
directory.
I am using opensuse 11.4, have make and gcc installed.
My kernel is linux-2.6.37.1-1.2 (I just re-installed the desktop kernel
to make sure it was up to date).
The driver I am trying to install is located here: 'AUR (en) -
rtl8192ce' (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=46797).

Another forum suggests pointing somewhere in the
/usr/src/linux-2.6.37.1-1.2  directory instead.  Is this correct?
Should I be pointing to a folder within this?

I am not a programmer but any description about what I am actually
putting in this directory and why would be awesome (so I can learn a bit
more).  Or just helping me solve the problem would be great too.

Please let me know if you need any more information.  Thanks in
advance!

--
keelanmj

keelanmj
4/14/2011 3:06:01 AM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 04/13/2011 10:06 PM, keelanmj wrote:

> Hello, I am relatively new to linux and am running into a problem.  I
> just got a new laptop and need to configure/install it's wireless driver
> but am getting an error when running "make".  The error is:
> make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop/build'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'.  Stop.
>
> I have scoured these forums and know that others have the same issue
> (when configuring other drivers/programs).  I am sorry if this post is
> redundant.  It sounds like the Makefile is pointing to the wrong
> directory.
> I am using opensuse 11.4, have make and gcc installed.
> My kernel is linux-2.6.37.1-1.2 (I just re-installed the desktop kernel
> to make sure it was up to date).
> The driver I am trying to install is located here: 'AUR (en) -
> rtl8192ce' (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=46797).
>
> Another forum suggests pointing somewhere in the
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.37.1-1.2  directory instead.  Is this correct?
> Should I be pointing to a folder within this?
>
> I am not a programmer but any description about what I am actually
> putting in this directory and why would be awesome (so I can learn a bit
> more).  Or just helping me solve the problem would be great too.
>
> Please let me know if you need any more information.  Thanks in
> advance!

If you pick up one of the 2.6.38 kernels to replace the standard 2.6.37 one,
your RTL8192CE will work "out of the box".

To answer the immediate question, /usr/lib/modules/2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop/build
must point to the directory containing the sub-directory include, which holds
the header files for the kernel you are running. When you install the
kernel-desktop-devel package, that will be set up.

I am not familiar with the driver code that you are using. For all I know, their
Makefile has an error. Missing header files would NOT lead to this problem.

0
Larry
4/14/2011 3:23:11 AM
Before you go donw this route, are you sure you even need to be
compiling a wireless driver?

Read the wireless stickies first:

'Wireless'
(http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/wireless/)

--
deano_ferrari
deano_ferrari's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=122

0
deano
4/14/2011 3:36:02 AM
On 04/13/2011 10:36 PM, deano ferrari wrote:

> Before you go donw this route, are you sure you even need to be
> compiling a wireless driver?
>
> Read the wireless stickies first:
>
> 'Wireless'
> (http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/wireless/)

One thing I forgot in my previous posting: Get the compat-wireless package for
your kernel. That will contain the official rtl8192ce driver.
0
Larry
4/14/2011 3:16:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!  I have never -manually- installed a "new"
kernel before (one that is not in the software manager).  Would
following a kernel install tutorial be a reasonable thing for a newb to
do?

Also, when you say that I should get the compat-wireless package, are
you saying that I might be able to do that with my current kernel or
with the updated one (2.6.28)?

Thanks!  I'm learning a ton!

--
keelanmj
keelanmj's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=57581
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=457989

0
keelanmj
4/14/2011 4:06:01 PM
On 04/14/2011 11:06 AM, keelanmj wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions!  I have never -manually- installed a "new"
> kernel before (one that is not in the software manager).  Would
> following a kernel install tutorial be a reasonable thing for a newb to
> do?
>
> Also, when you say that I should get the compat-wireless package, are
> you saying that I might be able to do that with my current kernel or
> with the updated one (2.6.28)?

It has to be for the kernel you want to run. The easiest would be for the
standard kernel (2.6.37...), not a special one.
0
Larry
4/14/2011 5:33:02 PM
Thanks a lot for your help!  I was able to compile and install rtl8192ce
from compat-wireless.  It was actually pretty straightforward.  I really
appreciate this suggestion.

After installing just this driver from the package, I went back to
install the bluetooth driver.  This appeared to work correctly but after
I restarted my computer neither the bluetooth worked nor did the
wireless card.  I went to the bluetooth manager and it said that my
computer has no bluetooth hardware.  I know it does because I tested out
the bluetooth before uninstalling windows.  Since I figured that
wireless was more important than bluetooth for now, I reinstalled
rtl8192ce and that is working again.

I might be overlooking something simple (as I did not have much time to
work on this yesterday) so I will take another look tonight.  Any ideas
about what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks!

--
keelanmj
keelanmj's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=57581
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=457989

0
keelanmj
4/19/2011 3:36:02 PM
On 04/19/2011 10:36 AM, keelanmj wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your help!  I was able to compile and install rtl8192ce
> from compat-wireless.  It was actually pretty straightforward.  I really
> appreciate this suggestion.
>
> After installing just this driver from the package, I went back to
> install the bluetooth driver.  This appeared to work correctly but after
> I restarted my computer neither the bluetooth worked nor did the
> wireless card.  I went to the bluetooth manager and it said that my
> computer has no bluetooth hardware.  I know it does because I tested out
> the bluetooth before uninstalling windows.  Since I figured that
> wireless was more important than bluetooth for now, I reinstalled
> rtl8192ce and that is working again.
>
> I might be overlooking something simple (as I did not have much time to
> work on this yesterday) so I will take another look tonight.  Any ideas
> about what I could be doing wrong?

You need the wireless AND the bluetooth from that package. They share some other
modules, which must have the same version. Why did you build your own copy of
compat-wireless rather than installing the pre-built package?
0
Larry
4/19/2011 4:20:01 PM
I was trying to just install the drivers i needed (rtl8291ce and bt).
OK, I will install the whole package tonight.  The documentation does
not say, but would it be possible to select multiple drivers at once
using "driver-select" (ie: "driver select rtl8192ce & bt" or something)?

--
keelanmj
keelanmj's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=57581
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=457989

0
keelanmj
4/19/2011 5:36:02 PM
I went back to intall the complete package but it had errors...  First I
un-installed the wireless drivers, then I unloaded the modules, then I
ran "driver-select restore" (so it would install all the drivers), then
I ran make which had errors.  Any ideas what the problem could be?  I
can provide a log if that helps.

--
keelanmj
keelanmj's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=57581
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=457989

0
keelanmj

Web resources about - Installing Driver Error - No rule to make target `modules'. Stop. - opensuse.org.network-internet