How to access other computer in network

Hi,

I just installed openSuse 11.2 on my laptop and I'm trying to access my
other Ubuntu PC. I've already shared a folder "Pictures" in that PC and
I was able to access it when I was running Ubuntu on my laptop.

I've also installed Samba and Samba Client. Please guide me to access
the network computer and its shared folder

Regards,
Anant

--
anantg

anantg
11/15/2009 4:16:02 PM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 1 followers. Follow

anantg;2067290 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed openSuse 11.2 on my laptop and I'm trying to access my
> other Ubuntu PC. I've already shared a folder "Pictures" in that PC and
> I was able to access it when I was running Ubuntu on my laptop.
>
> I've also installed Samba and Samba Client. Please guide me to access
> the network computer and its shared folder
>
> Regards,
> Anant
Accessing another computer can be done in a myriad of ways (e.g. ftp,
telnet, ssh, http, ntp, nfs, ....). That is where all the server and
client protocols/software is made for. But it seems that you are after
access of mass storage on another system. In Unix/Linux this is done
using NFS. On one system (the nfs-server) you 'export a directory', on
another system (the nfs-client) you mount such a directory somewhere in
your directory tree like any other mount.

In YaST > Network services you will find the tools for doing this. Can
of course also be done in the time honoured way of the CLI. The keywords
(use the man pages) are then: /etc/export, /etc/fstab, mount.

SAMBA is software to serve M$ systems. As SAMBA has the client as well
as the server functions I think it is possible to use SAMBA between
Linux systems. What a horrible idea :\

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180

0
hcvv
11/15/2009 4:46:01 PM
Well I just trying to see the workgroup and under that all the computers
that are in my network, because I'm able to do same with Wbuntu 9.10

--
anantg
anantg's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=17560
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=425742

0
anantg
11/15/2009 4:56:02 PM
On Sun November 15 2009 10:56 am, anantg wrote:

> Well I just trying to see the workgroup and under that all the computers
> that are in my network, because I'm able to do same with Wbuntu 9.10

anantg;

This HowTo might help:
http://opensuse.swerdna.org/suselanprimer.html
More advanced topics are covered here:
http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susesambaserver.html

While you are testing it might help to disable the firewall.  After you have
Samba working well, make sure the Samba ports are open and broadcasting
permitted.  If you still have questions after going through the above, feel
free to repost.
--
P. V.
"We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you." Red Green

Accessing a network through DOS network drivers
I've got a laptop with no CD-ROM drive that I need to install Windows 95 on. From a clean format, I bootup with a DOS 6.22 bootup disk, install Linksys PCMCIA drivers to a directory, install Microsoft Network Client 3.0 using the installed PCMCIA drivers, and end up with an error. That's about as far as I've come in about a days worth of time. The error is "Error: 5733: The protocol manager has reported an incomplete binding." The lights on the NIC do light up. I have tried using both NDIS2 and WFW3.11 drivers. Does anyone have any idea(s) of what I can try? ...

accessing network computer
hello to all my problem is i want to download files through my web page. my code is working in local machine, but as multi server environment - i want to access files which is in different computer. how i can achieve this in .net  http://www.munishbhatia.com Hi munishbhatia, Based on my understanding, you want to access the files which store on the other machines and write these files to client. The issue is how to let ASP.NET access the remote files. If I have misunderstood your concern, please let me know. For this scenario, we can use impersonation. For the detailed infor...

Connection string to access network drive Access DB file with network drive locked?
Hi, I am currently facing a problem in accessing a MDB file residing in another network location. The network location is locked with a username and password. I have the user and password and would like to know what would be the connection string like in order to connection to the server. The other funny thing is that I am able to retrieve records using WEB MATRIX emulation mode with the normal connection string which do not make any sense to me. Thank you for helping. Regards,   FrancisSGDOTNET.ORG Web Matrix works, because when Web Matrix is running, it is running as a normal a...

Network Manager Applet not coming up
Hi, Running networking on cable with openSUSE 11.4 and gnome2. The network & internet was running fine till I installed NFS Server/client via Yast. After that the nm-applet takes too long to come up. When I try to speed it up via the terminal, by typing 'nm-applet', i get the output: An instance of nm-applet is alredy running. constructor(): Couldn't initialize the D-Bus manager. Great help is needed. Thanks, RSP2 -- rsp2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rsp2;2419582 Wrote: > Hi, > > Running ...

Website not accessible from other computer in network
Hi, Website not accessible from other computer in network. Website is running fine on my system , but I donot find any reason why it is not accessible from other computers. My system is running on Windows XP Thanks in advance. My Blog: DotNetError@BhatiaWorldDont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. Is there a firewall on your machine? Have you configured your IIS to allow Anonymous users to visit the website?RegardsBilal Hadiar,...

network and more network issues
Hello Guys I am running openSuse 11.0 on my Compaq CQ60 laptop, I have been able to muich tweaks but there aree two major issues I have with its ntwk Management. First the eth0 ip is not plug n play by that I mean if i configure an IP I have to restart the Laptop even if I dont use the Network Manager which is said to have issues, this is even worse that even after pinking the IP I cant ping anything except the eth IP. Also my wireless doesn't work. -- I am the bee, my head is just the beehive * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

Network connected but no internet access

Network access for Distributed Transaction Manager (MSDTC) has been disabled. Please enable DTC for network access in the security configuration for MSDTC using the Component Services Administrative t #3
Error when stepping through TransactionScopeNetwork access for Distributed Transaction Manager (MSDTC) has been disabled. Please enable DTC for network access in the security configuration for MSDTC using the Component Services Administrative tool.I cannot get my XP SP2 client to communicate with the remote MSDTC DB server. My TransactionScope in .NET fails of course once a distributed transaction kicks in and tries to use the DB Server's MSDTC.  What's weird is it appears when I step through my TransactionScope in VS 2005, the error messages I get for the DTC are reliant on my ...

Network access for Distributed Transaction Manager (MSDTC) has been disabled. Please enable DTC for network access in the security configuration for MSDTC using the Component Services Administrative t #2
Has anyone found a work-around other than the lousy passing around one open connection object to all the calling methods in order to keep the TransactionScope Light?  I thought the whole point of distributed transaction was so that the DTC could handle that for you right?  http://kjellsj.blogspot.com/2006/04/systemtransactions-nesting-scopes.html  so here's my method, I get this error: Error on secondNetwork access for Distributed Transaction Manager (MSDTC) has been disabled. Please enable DTC for network access in the security configuration for MSDTC using the Compone...

General network error:check your network documentation in data access
i am getting this problem while reading records from sql server frequently. accessing is done through middle layer like assemblies. please suggest possible solution to this problem. Regards, Kumar Did you check the event log on the server to see if there were any error messages? TerriTerri MortonEngagement Manager, NeudesicHow to ask a question...

Problem with wireless network and Internet access
To all the network gurus here on the NG: Yesterday, I added a Linksys WMP54GS PCI adapter to my Vista desktop PC, and I'm having some difficulty with the wireless connection, specifically getting my PC to get Internet access over wireless. My network topology: Cable modem -> Router <....> PC with wireless adapter where the router is my Linksys WRT54GS and "<....>" is the wireless connection. The router has been configured fairly securely, with all default passwords and IDs changed, WPA2 encryption and firewall enabled, and all potentially vuln...

Laptop - Internet Access
I am setting up some new equipment in our office. One of the salesman is getting a new laptop with a 10/100 ethernet NIC, Wireless and modem. While he is in the office (connected to our Novell SBS 6.0 network via the 10/100 ethernet card) he would like to take advantage of our ADSL internet connection shared by the network. At home, he has a wireless router connected to a cable modem. On the road, he would like to be able to use the modem to connect to the internet. I understand that he will have to have multiple internet access accounts (the cable modem at home and an isp that wi...

Network boot for remote computer access
I'm new to the principle of network boot and I was wondering if this is possible. Computer A runs openSUSE. Computer B is an older, slower computer. Computer A and computer B are connected using an Ethernet cable that supports two-way transport. Can I use network boot on computer B to use the OS on computer A remotely while computer A is being used too? Does it involve RDP? Will the remote user experience noticeable lags/delays? What do I need to install on computer A to make this happen? -- pdedecker ----------------------------------------------------------------------...

Open window to view network files yields network access denied
I'm converting an access application to a web app. Part of the functionality is to open a folder on the network so users can browse / open the files contained in that folder. I tried the following javascript from my web page but it produces an "Access is denied." error: function openFolder(subFolder) { var url = file:\\'C:\\Documents and Settings\\MyName\\My Documents\\My Clients\\MyFolder\\' + subFolder; try { window.open(url,'winOpenFolder'); } catch (e) { alert('Error name: ' + e.name + ' Error message: ' + e.message); }; return fal...

Web resources about - How to access other computer in network - opensuse.org.network-internet

Computer Show

Scientists teach computers how to learn like humans
US scientists create a computer model that enables computers to recognise and draw simple alphabet symbols that are indistinguishable from those ...

How fast is Google's quantum computer compared to a PC?
... labs can sometimes find that they just don’t have enough computing power available to them. This is despite Google owning powerful computers ...

Facebook is giving away a powerful new technology for building smart computers
... new fields in tech: machine learning and artificial intelligence. Facebook is giving away for free some hardware designs that make computers ...

Most Americans would not give up the steering wheel to a computer
... "Despite the hype around driverless cars, it seems that it's actually a minority of us who want to surrender the steering wheel to a computer," ...

UC under pressure to count high school computer science toward math requirement
UC under pressure to count high school computer science toward math requirement Contra Costa Times Romeo Pittman, 15, left, and Chris Arrington ...

Scientists teach computers to learn simple ideas faster – like humans
... University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology have developed an algorithm that dramatically cuts back on the time it takes for computers ...

Google’s mind-bending quantum computer actually works
... sci-fi nerds lose sleep in fear of the robot apocalypse. The breakthrough sounds simple, but it has massive implications: The quantum computer ...