After setting up DNS server, normal DNS query wouldn't work

Hi everyone.
I'm new to Opensuse, and recently trying to set up a DNS server though
Yast.

I run Opensuse 11.3 +XP under virtualbox(bridged network)
On the first day I started DNS server, everything worked very well, in
both virtual machine and opensuse, I could browse any webpages.
But today something strange happened... in xp virtual machin,
everything works just fine, no any problems, but in Opensuse, DNS server
was running, but I just couldn't browse any webpages, I'm sure that's
DNS's problem, because I could ping an external IP address but couldn't
ping an URL.

I use ifup to manage network connections.
Could anyone please help me with this problem?

Thanks a lot!

--
guohouzuo

guohouzuo
5/4/2010 5:56:02 AM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 0 followers. Follow

look in /etc/reslov.conf - at the bottom are there
any 'nameserver' entries

If not go to yast and re-do the network setup bit again

I have noticed that adding a dns server to a machine
has odd consequences

interele
interele's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=34635
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438223

0
interele
5/4/2010 11:16:01 AM
If you need DNS Query means you can get the DNS Query here 'WhoisXY.com
Whois Search' (http://www.whoisxy.com/)

--
haifa7
haifa7's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=55633
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438223

0
haifa7
2/27/2011 4:06:02 PM
Normally machines don't have a DNS server running locally, so will
naturally query a specified remote DNS Server (normally assigned through
DHCP).

If you install a local DNS Server, it typically become authoritative
for all queries, specifying additional DNs Servers in your network
properties only has problematic success. At the very least you may need
to add "localhost" to your DNS resolver list, but "that depends" on the
situation.

The solution is to configure your DNS Server with Forwarders so that if
the local DNS Server doesn't have the results in cache, the query will
be forwarded to another machine. Note that this can involve significant
latency, sometimes requiring multiple manual attempts.

Bottom line, it's usually not a good idea to deploy a DNS server on a
system with running applications and logged on Users.

Tony

--
tsu2
tsu2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2578
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438223

0
tsu2
2/27/2011 7:06:02 PM
Try:
grep "named" /var/log/messages | tail

You would be looking to see if the DNS software is logging errors, and
failing to start.

--
-using openSuSE 11.3; KDE 4.4.4-
nrickert's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49759
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438223

0
nrickert

Dns server don't work
Hi, we have several netware 5.0 servers and three Netware 6.5 server. Our active primary dns server is on on of the netware 5.0 server. After we made an in-place-upgrade to netware 6.5 named can't start on either of the netware 6.5 servers. On the server console appears the error message: unable to initialize the syntax ids. I followed the TID 10086932 but this didn't help. Somenody any idea Please post this in the dns-dhcp forum, as it has nothing to do with eDirectory. Thanks. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://support.novell.com/...

DNS forwarding to 'unknown' DNS server/
We are netware 5.1. I have 2 DNS server, both are configured with a forward address. On our firewall, i have seen that my dns servers are making request (sometimes) to others serves. Some address are in the rootserverinfo (m.roots-erver, ...) and other names like blackhole-1.iana.org. I don't understand why it looks for m.roots-server ... because my forwardings are configured and why it looks for black.... Are you sure those requests are from your DNS server and not from workstations on your network? You might download DBGLOG.EXE -- with it you can record the NAME...

dns newbie : dynamic dns error (doesn't have server address)
Hello, I am trying to create a dns server and a zone. I am using iManager and the server is netware 6.0 (I think sp3). I want to create all hosts in one zone (mycompany-intranet.be). Is that a good idea? In the screen for creating a server, I have to enter a domain. I don't know what I have to enter in there. Should I enter 'mycompany-intranet.be'? And then create a zone with the same name? I have tried it like that, and it seams to work. My dhcp server (on the same machine) gives out addresses, and the clients can ping to the hosts I created in the zone. I also c...

Netware DNS server won't zone transfer to Windows DNS
I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am using a netware server as the primary DNS. I have configured a Windows 2003 server to hold the secondary dns zones but cannot get the windows server to load the zone. It states the Transfer of data from the zone master failed. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated. Graeme Versions please... NetWare? Service Pack? NAMED.NLM? bd NSC Volunteer SysOp gmurphy@three.com.au wrote: > I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am > using a netware server as ...

Yast won't set DNS servers
When I set my DNS servers via Yast>Network Devices>Network Settings>Hostname DNS it accepts the addresses, but then when I check then the next time they are faded out. I set them again, but same results. Any ideas? -- ionmich ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hello, I think this could help you: > > Select the way how DNS configuration (name servers, search list, the > content of /etc/resolv.conf file) will be modified. Normally, it is > handled by netconfig script which merges the data statically defined ...

Is @mozilla.org/network/dns-service limited to IP address (A-type) DNS queries?
I'd like to query some DNS-based services from a Firefox extension. There are a number of spam filters and such which create special DNS entries that can be queried. Here's a list of spam databases which can be queried via DNS: http://www.declude.com/Articles.asp?ID=97 For some of these, the client needs to retrieve a DNS "TXT" record, rather than the more common "A" record. There are also situations when you might want an "MX" record, for mail. Encryption keys and reverse DNS information are also stored in DNs records. Can that infor...

Who has to set the MX ; A ; PTR records in DNS? My ISP or our company's own internal DNS server?
When I am going to enable internet addressing, things have to be changed in DNS so that the mail is routed correctly to our own GWIA's IP addres. I searched the knowledgebase how to set up things correctly but did not find all the awnsers. Here is our situation: Our GWIA is bound to say IP 63.999.999.99 Our ISP needs to know this IP address and tells me that the mailserver name will be set automatically to: "mail.OurDomainName". But are they going to do all of the work or do I have to change things in our Internal DNS server too (running on IP 192.168.1.X)? O...

Propagate DNS Settings to Other DNS Servers
My server is the Authoratitive DNS server for my domain. if the NAMED service is down, no one can resolve to my web site. It seems as if my DNS settings are not propogating to other DNS servers on the Internet to be cached there. What settings do I have to change to make this happen ? Steve -- Other DNS servers are not responsible for caching your DNS info. If they have to resolve names using your server, they may cache that info so they don't have to ask your server for it every time, but even then the caching is probably only for a short time. The only way t...

FireFox Password Manager Missing Feature: Passwords don't work on DNS roundrobin servers
A high volume site I use has a low-tech cluster of webservers and uses round robin DNS to pick a particular one. The servers are named server1.company.com, server2.company.com..... There are at least 5. I have to enter account and password info into FF for each server, as I find it. A check box in the "remember password" pop-up that asks if I want to wild-card this userID/pw to all server logins on company.com would work, I think. -- Al Dykes ----------- adykes at p a n i x . c o m ...

I love Firefox! But I just got a new computer with Windows 7, and half the time Firefox wouldn't work for about 3 weeks. It's working now, but I don't know for how long. Please make sure you are comp
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: I love Firefox! But I just got a new computer with Windows 7, and half the time Firefox wouldn't work for about 3 weeks. It's working now, but I don't know for how long. Please make sure you are compatible with Windows 7. Thank you. Comments: See above. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100824 Firefox/3.6.9 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sen...

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

DNS benchmark sometimes triggers netbios-dns queries. Normal?
My home gateway is configured to reject outgoing connections bound for ports 135-139, as well as for port 445, and to log any such activity. Today, I reran the dns benchmark test and noticed that some of the name servers (such as those at Level3) provoked attempts to make a udp connection to port 137 (netbios-ns). I don't know that Steve's program is trying to use netbios, and it may be Windows XP's doing for some unknown reason. Only port 137 was involved. Which leads to my question: Will blocked netbios ports negatively impact the dns benchmark test somehow? It seem...

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

Web resources about - After setting up DNS server, normal DNS query wouldn't work - opensuse.org.network-internet