Adobe Flash Player in OpenSuse 11.1 with AMD x64 not working

Hi everybody!

I just installed OpenSuse 11.1 on my AMD Athlon 64 box and I'm
verifying that all applications run well. I am having problems with the
Flash Player, which does not seem to work at all. Each time I load a
page that contains flash stuff the browser tells me to download the
plugin, but I'm quite sure that it is already installed...

----------------------------------

me@home:~> zypper search flash
Reading installed packages...

S | Name                            | Summary    | Type
--+---------------------------------+------------+-----------
i | flash-player                    | Adobe Fl-> | package
| flash-player                    | Adobe Fl-> | srcpackage
i | flash-player                    | flash-pl-> | patch
i | flash-plugin                    | Adobe Fl-> | package
i | libflashsupport                 | Addition-> | package
| libflashsupport                 | Addition-> | srcpackage
| libflashsupport-32bit           | Addition-> | package
| libflashsupport-debuginfo       | Addition-> | package
| libflashsupport-debuginfo-32bit | Addition-> | package
i | pullin-flash-player             | Placehol-> | package
| pullin-flash-player             | Placehol-> | srcpackage
| tvflash                         | Tool to -> | package
| tvflash                         | Tool to -> | srcpackage
| tvflash-debuginfo               | Tool to -> | package
| tvflash-debugsource             | Tool to -> | package

me@home:~> zypper info flash-player
Reading installed packages...

Repository: @System
Name: flash-player
Version: 10.0.22.87-0.1.1
Arch: i586
Vendor: openSUSE
Installed: Yes
This package contains Adobe's Flash Plugin for the supported Web
browsers in addition to a standalone flash player application.

me@home:~> zypper lr
# | Alias        | Name                  | Enabled | Refresh
--+--------------+-----------------------+---------+--------
1 | repo         | NVIDIA Repository     | Yes     | Yes
2 | repo-debug   | openSUSE-11.1-Debug   | Yes     | Yes
3 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes     | No
4 | repo-oss     | openSUSE-11.1-Oss     | Yes     | No
5 | repo-source  | openSUSE-11.1-Source  | Yes     | Yes
6 | repo-update  | openSUSE-11.1-Update  | Yes     | No
7 | repo_1       | VideoLan Repository   | Yes     | Yes
8 | repo_2       | Packman Repository    | Yes     | Yes
9 | repo_3       | openSUSE Education    | Yes     | Yes

-------------------------------------

The only strange thing that I see is that it seems that the flash
player plugin I have installed corresponds to the i586 architecture,
which is not the correct one. Is this the problem ? Where can I get the
x64 based plugin ? What should I do to get flash work on firefox ?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Luis

--
lgoster

lgoster
5/24/2009 5:06:01 PM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Did you add the packman repository? it's working for me very well

--
gabriel2007
gabriel2007's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=28405

0
gabriel2007
5/24/2009 5:26:01 PM
Yes, as you may see in the output of "zypper -lr" you can see that I
have the Packman repository added to my list...

Best,

Luis

--
lgoster
lgoster's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=28363
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=415143

0
lgoster
5/24/2009 6:16:01 PM
From a su terminal

Code:
--------------------
    zypper in flash-player
--------------------

http://tinyurl.com/cbstlt

http://tinyurl.com/d6onhy

--
Box: Linux 2.6.27.21-170.2.56 i686 PAE | Fedora 10 | KDE4.2.3 | M2N4-SLI
| AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap: openSUSE 11.1 | Celeron 550 | (KDE4.2.3)"1" | Intel 965 GM |
Lenovo R61e | 3GB RAM
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=415143

0
caf4926
5/24/2009 6:46:09 PM
lgoster;1990789 Wrote:

> me@home:~> zypper lr
> # | Alias        | Name                  | Enabled | Refresh
> --+--------------+-----------------------+---------+--------
> 1 | repo         | NVIDIA Repository     | Yes     | Yes
> *2 | repo-debug   | openSUSE-11.1-Debug   | Yes     | Yes   *
> 3 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes     | No
> 4 | repo-oss     | openSUSE-11.1-Oss     | Yes     | No
> *5 | repo-source  | openSUSE-11.1-Source  | Yes     | Yes   *
> 6 | repo-update  | openSUSE-11.1-Update  | Yes     | No
> **7 | repo_1       | VideoLan Repository   | Yes     | Yes   * *
> *8 | repo_2       | Packman Repository    | Yes     | Yes    *
> 9 | repo_3       | openSUSE Education    | Yes     | Yes

IMHO having Videolan and Packman both active is just begging for
trouble. I recommend you remove videolan ASAP from your active repos
list.  And I recommend you replace all videolan packaged apps with
Packman packaged apps (with exception of libdvdcss)

Why do you have source and debug as repos?  Is there something specific
you are trying to do?  Unless you are a developer, or unless you are a
user with a very specific purpose, then IMHO you should remove those.
What immediate benefit are they bringing to you?  Don't just add a repos
blindly.

Reference the "Education" repos, I recommend you put that to inactive.
You can make it active BRIEFLY if it has a download you need. Else you
could install an app from there, which might conflict with an app
packaged by Novell/SuSE-GmbH, and you will have no idea that has
happened.

Blindly adding repositories with out understanding the consequence has
to be one of the bigger mistakes that new users to openSUSE Linux make.

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=415143

0
oldcpu
5/24/2009 7:06:01 PM
Thanks a lot for your help. I did not know all these details about the
repositories. I'll try your recommendations this afternoon when I come
back home.

Best,

Luis

--
lgoster
lgoster's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=28363
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=415143

0
lgoster
5/25/2009 6:26:02 AM
Hi everybody!

It's me again! I just tried all the recommendations you mentioned
above.

1) I removed videolan repository and removed all packages from my
system whose vendor was videolan.
2) I'm currently only using the following repositories:

me@home:~> zypper lr
# | Alias        | Name                  | Enabled | Refresh
--+--------------+-----------------------+---------+--------
1 | repo         | NVIDIA Repository     | Yes     | Yes
2 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes     | No
3 | repo-oss     | openSUSE-11.1-Oss     | Yes     | No
4 | repo-update  | openSUSE-11.1-Update  | Yes     | Yes
5 | repo_2       | Packman Repository    | Yes     | Yes
6 | repo_3       | openSUSE Education    | No      | Yes

I installed the flash player using

zypper install flash-player

But flash still does not work. Keep in mind that I have an x64 based
architecture. I have opensuse on an i386 and the flash-player package
works without problems. However, on the x64 architecture the
flash-player package blocks the system so as that I have to reboot the
system (but turning off the system). I even cannot change to text mode
to try to kill firefox.

As I told you, it seems that when I do

zypper install flash-player

the i586 version is installed. I tried manually do find the flash
package in the packman repository but I only found it in the i586 based
architecture, but not the x64 one.

Currently I'm using 'gnash' but it does not support some of the
funcionalities flash has.

Has anyone suceeded to install flash on an x64 based architecture ? Can
you please tell me the output of the following instructions on your x64
based system ?

zypper search flash | grep ^i
zypper info `zypper search flash | grep ^i | awk '{print $3}'`

Thanks!

Luis

--
lgoster
lgoster's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=28363
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=415143

0
lgoster
5/26/2009 6:16:02 PM
Do you have nspluginwrapper installed

Code:
--------------------
    zypper in nspluginwrapper
--------------------

--
Box: Linux 2.6.27.21-170.2.56 i686 PAE | Fedora 10 | KDE4.2.3 | M2N4-SLI
| AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap: openSUSE 11.1 | Celeron 550 | (KDE4.2.3)"1" | Intel 965 GM |
Lenovo R61e | 3GB RAM
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=415143

0
caf4926
5/26/2009 6:46:01 PM
Suse is using the 32bit version you have 2 ways of doing it you can
check with nspluginwrapper and load the 32bit. Or change firefox to
32bit.

I've confirmed what you found non-oss seems to be the repo with it on
but only i586. There is a alpha 64bit which works as well as any of the
flash stuff does on linux. Surprised it is not on the build service
though.

'PluginDoc: Linux (x86_64)'
(http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux-amd64.html#flash)

I can't exactly remember how to list what nspluginwrapper is using but
I suspect if about:plugins isn't showing you need to add it as the above
doc.

--
Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at 'Wiki'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page), if all that fails 'Scroogle'
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=415143

0
FeatherMonkey
5/26/2009 6:56:03 PM
Up until last October, the Flash plugin was only available for x86
(32-bit) systems. For 64-bit systems, this usually meant that in order
to run Flash on websites, one would need to use a 32-bit browser, or a
64-bit browser with a 32-bit wrapper.

From what I recall, the flash plugin available in the OpenSUSE
repositories did most of the dirty work to get it to work on a 64-bit
system.  The problem was, these somewhat hacked solutions could cause
system instability, and would occasionally not work.

Last October, Adobe released a 64-bit alpha version of the plugin that
works natively in 64-bit browsers without the need for any wrappers.
You can download the latest release of the plugin here:
'Adobe Labs - Downloads: Flash Player 10'
(http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html)

Even though this is an alpha version of the plugin, I personally
haven't had any more or less problems with it than I have had with the
plugin in the past.

If you want to use this version:
1. Remove the 32-bit version installed from the repos.
2. Download the file from the link above.
3. Extract the "libflashplayer.so" file
4. As root, copy it to /usr/lib64/browser-plugins.
5. Restart your browsers.

--
srschifano
srschifano's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2156
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=415143

0
srschifano
5/26/2009 6:56:03 PM
Hi everybody!

Thanks a lot for your help. By installing the nspluginwrapper package
the flash-player has begun to work properly!

Best,

Luis

--
lgoster
lgoster's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=28363
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=415143

0
lgoster
5/27/2009 7:06:01 PM
lgoster;1991877 Wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. By installing the nspluginwrapper package
> the flash-player has begun to work properly!
>
> Best,
>
> Luis

We got you sorted in the end!

--
Box: Linux 2.6.27.24-170.2.68 i686 PAE | Fedora 10 | KDE4.2.3 | M2N4-SLI
| AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap: openSUSE 11.1 | Celeron 550 | (KDE4.2.3)"1" | Intel 965 GM |
Lenovo R61e | 3GB RAM
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=415143

0
caf4926
5/27/2009 9:06:01 PM
Thank you guys.
You guys are a real help.
I was having the same problem. and could solve it by reading the
thread.

--
piplayan
piplayan's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=27287
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=415143

0
piplayan
5/29/2009 2:16:02 PM
@ srschifano and FeatherMonkey - Many thanks for this pointer; I've got
the alpha installed now. Nice to be able to see Flash content at last!

--
DrDaveHPP
DrDaveHPP's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=23054
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=415143

0
DrDaveHPP
6/18/2009 2:56:01 AM
I just installed Suse 11.4 and downloaded the
flashplayer_square_p2_64bit_linux_092710.tar. Once that was installed in
/usr/lib64/browser-plugins, 64 bit Firefox ran Flash fine! Thanks for
the proper directory to install it in!!!

--
keithgreysr
keithgreysr's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=51702
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=415143

0
keithgreysr

Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55 | Adobe Air 3.1.0.4880
Adobe PSIRT > <http://blogs.adobe.com/psirt/2011/11/security-update-available-for-adobe= -flash-player-apsb11-28.html> Adobe SB >=20 <http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb11-28.html> Use the download links to fetch the poison of your choice.=20 As always - avoid third party offerings like the plague.=20 Regards,=20 --=20 Randy <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/randyknobloch> Release notes for users: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/923/cpsid_92359.html Release notes for developers...

Network and internet not working on 11.1
Hi, As a newbie, I've just installed suse 11.1 on my lpatop with wireless internet . The wireless card is a Realtek RTL 8187b. Anyway, during the final stage of instalation I got a message saying that no network was detected. When it booted into the desktop I couldn't get an internet connection. I understand that my wireless card is supported on the suse 11.1 kernel.Does anyone have any clues why or what I can do? thanks Ives -- ives31 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ that is here 'Wireless - openSUSE Forum...

Network doesn't work in 11.2, works in 11.1!
NOTE: THIS IS A -WIRED- NETWORK CONNECTION, NOT WIRELESS My network settings are easily configured in OpenSUSE 11.1 and my network connection works wonderfully in 11.1. However, I'm unable to get my network working correctly in 11.2, there's a change made in 11.2 in the Network Configuration settings, here's the difference: * In *11.1:* YAST/NETWORK SETTINGS/ROUTING/DEFAULT GATEWAY:[/B] I ENTER MY ROUTER'S IP HERE AND APPLY THE SETTINGS AND MY NETWORK CONNECTION IS ACTIVE AND WORKS WONDERFULLY, THERE ARE NO OPTIONS FOR -, ETH0, AND LO LIKE THERE ARE IN 11.2 IN ...

Adobe Flash Player 11.0.1.152
A new version of Flash player is now in general release, version 11.0.1.152. Get it from the usual suspects. Personal opinions have been minimized for purposes of this post. -- "Unity is particularly nice for people that don't have a clue what's going on. That's why I use it." Azimuth On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 07:10:58 -0500, vince <nobody@home.invalid> wrote: >A new version of Flash player is now in general release, version >11.0.1.152. Get it from the usual suspects. > >Personal opinions h...

Adobe flash KUbuntu 10.04 flashplugin-installer AMD 64bit, "You need to upgrade your flash player. Download it from Adobe."; jor MozFirefox
I can't get flash working now. It was working maybe a month ago, but then stopped, & I haven't tired since then. The latest message is: "You need to upgrade your flash player. Download it from Adobe." But, I've tried installing it using the Ubuntu flashplugin-installer, but it won't show up as installed. == I'm running Firefox direct from Mozilla, not ubuntu, to have the debug ability on, for if a crash occurs. I turned off flashblock & noscript, & restarted Firefox, then exited firefox. I purged flashplugin-installer, then rei...

Flash player not working in FF 1.5.0.1
I tried to use the demo at PayPal in FF - https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_email-payments-overview-outside and it keeps telling me that I need Flash Player 5 or greater. I've installed MacroMedia 8 several times, read all the posts here, closed FF, etc. several times and still cannot get that demo to work. Even uninstalled the FlashBlock extension in case that was blocking it, Can anyone help? That link works just fine in IE 6. Barbara Windows XP SP2 Barbara wrote: > I tried to use the demo at PayPal in FF - > https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?...

Flash used to work in 11.0 now broken in 11.1
Hi all, Flash doesn't work in Mozilla Firefox 3.0.5 on OpenSUSE 11.1 x64. I upgraded from 11.0 where it worked perfectly. I have tried using gnash as well as the flash plugin from the repository and nothing seems to work. I also can't view an swf when I double click on it in konqueror file browser. Suggestions please? Thanks Nathan -- SurplusIguana ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Nathan, works here. Here's the flash related stuff I have installed: titanium:/home/uwe # rpm -qa | grep flash libflash...

Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Flash Player 11.9.900.117
<http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb13-26.html> Direct download packages are available here: <http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html> Most should should update via the below link: (Deselect ALL Third Party software offers) <http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/> -- Randy <https://twitter.com/randyknobloch> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/randyknobloch> <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx> ...

adobe flash player not working
Name: samuel Product: Firefox Summary: adobe flash player not working Comments: firefox has been the best web browser i have used to date, yet the new version has a serious flaw... the inability to allow video streaming and flash animation via adobe flash player. this has got to be fixed or i cannot use your browser. i have already uninstalled it and am writing this post from internet explorer. i am going to look for an older version of firefox to download and i will not upgrade it until i read somewhere that this problem has been fixed. sorry about the stro...

Adobe Flash Player #11
Name: Hatem Al-Khalil Email: hatematal-khalildotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Adobe Flash Player Comments: I cannot open certain applications such as YouTube videos or games that need to be loaded on FaceBook, because Firefox doesn not have Adobe Flash Player. Would be much appreciated if this issue was given consideration. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ "Hatem Al-Khalil" wrote... > Name: Hatem Al-Khalil > Email: hatematal-...

Adobe flash player 11
I am running Windows 7 64 bit and now when I downloaded and installed the latest version of Flash Player 11 and I got to the site about flash player fire fox keeps saying I need and plug in to display some contents on this page. It,s refers to the same Adobe Flash player I just installed . The message I get from Adobe is that flash player installed OK. Same version works fine in Goggle Chrome on the same machine. Is the a fix or is this a know issue now. --- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 120217-0, 02/17/2012 Tested on: 2/17/2012 6:48:51 A...

adobe flash player is not working
Name: yoni.elron@gmail.com Email: yonidotelronatgmaildotcom Product: Minefield Summary: adobe flash player is not working Comments: tried to install adobe flash player - it installs but doesn't work and keep asking me to install the missing plugin Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:2.0b4pre) Gecko/20100807 Minefield/4.0b4pre From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Adobe Flash Player #11
Name: Ramanuj Email: vvvinashhhatyahoodotcodotin Product: Shiretoko Alpha 1 Summary: Adobe Flash Player Comments: What about the compatible plug ins for the 64 bit shiretoko?So far im loving it,otherwise.im using teh 3.5.2 and why is the bitdefender 2010 Antiphishing toolbar not supported?There is no update feature too!Would you answer? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090805 Shiretoko/3.5.2 From URL: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/shiretoko/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback...

Adobe Flash Player #11
Name: wdadli1 Email: wdadli1atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Adobe Flash Player Comments: I keep getting the yellow bar at the top telling me to install a plugin. It's always Adobe Flash Player, even though I run the installation. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Adobe Flash Player Not Working
This used to work. The file npswf32dll is in my Macroded folder. Trying to remember what someone told me in the past I put a copy of npswf32.dll in my SeaMonkey Plugins folder. Didn't work. Would someone tell me what to do? Thanks LWB wrote: > This used to work. The file npswf32dll is in my Macroded folder. Trying > to remember what someone told me in the past I put a copy of npswf32.dll > in my SeaMonkey Plugins folder. Didn't work. Would someone tell me what > to do? Thanks Well here is where it is on my WinXP system. WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash ...

Web resources about - Adobe Flash Player in OpenSuse 11.1 with AMD x64 not working - opensuse.org.network-internet

openSUSE.org
openSUSE is a free and Linux-based operating system for your PC, Laptop or Server. You can surf the web, manage your e-mails and photos, do office ...

openSUSE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... initial release of the community project was a beta version of SUSE Linux 10.0, and as of November 16, 2011 the current stable release is openSUSE ...

openSUSE
openSUSE forum. The openSUSE project is a worldwide community program sponsored by Novell that promotes the use of Linux everywhere. The program ...

openSUSE
The project is a worldwide effort that promotes the use of Linux everywhere. creates one of the world's best Linux distributions, working together ...

openFATE - openSUSE Feature tracking
© 2010 Novell, Inc. All rights reserved. Novell is a registered trademark and openSUSE and SUSE are trademarks of Novell, Inc. in the United ...

openSUSE Mailinglist Archives
Home - Content - Search - Mailinglist Archive: Overview Announce opensuse-announce English Announcements concerning the openSUSE project opensuse-bugs ...

openSUSE News
The latest news from the openSUSE project

Attachmate says openSUSE lives, UNIX copyrights not sold to MS
Novell's IP sale to Microsoft and pending acquisition by Attachmate raised …

openSUSE Education says 'get a Li-f-e'
If Linux is good enough for the International Space Station , why not your school computers? The developers over at openSUSE must think so, today ...

openSUSE 11 on VirtualBox
... you have to choose how much RAM and disk space you want to waste. As usual, the more the merrier. Next step is to download and install openSUSE ...