VMWare server won't compile vsock module

I've been trying to install VMWare server on my 11.1 system. When I run
the configuration program all the modules compile and load perfectly
except for vsock. I get the error message:

Unable to make a vsock module that can be loaded in the running
kernel:
insmod: error inserting '/tmp/vmware-config2/vsock.o': -1 Unknown
symbol in module
There is probably a slight difference in the kernel configuration
between the
set of C header files you specified and your running kernel.  You may
want to
rebuild a kernel based on that directory, or specify another
directory.

I am running the Linux 2.6.27.25-0.1-default x86_64 kernel and have the
2.6.27.25-0.1.1 source code installed. Since all the other modules
compile correctly, I'm a bit at a loss. I have specified as the header
directory, the default /lib/modules/2.6.27.25-0.1-default/build/include.
There is also an include2 subdirectory with a lot of header files in it
including one called socket.h. I have tried specifying the include2
subdirectory as the header directory, but then I get header not found
errors for everything. I've also tried to link socket.h and sockios.h
from the include2 directory in the corresponding place in the include
directory and still get the same error message.

Is there a solution? Some files I might be missing? I'd really
appreciate any help.

Thanx.

--
bearymore

bearymore
8/18/2009 2:16:01 AM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Does that kill the process, or can you simply move on?

There was a problem like that 'earlier in these forums'
(http://tinyurl.com/7u364e) where it was psssible IIRC to move on
anyway.

--
'Drop in and visit some time'
(http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html).

0
swerdna
8/18/2009 12:56:03 PM
It does go on and load the other modules. I'm just concerned that I
won't have Internet connectivity. I want to run an internet telephony
device that needs real Windows and the Internet.

--
bearymore
bearymore's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1641
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420163

0
bearymore
8/18/2009 4:36:02 PM
Read posts starting number 20 in that thread -- it discusses the patch
to fix the problem ....... scattered in the next 10 threads approx from
20 to 30 approx.

--
'Drop in and visit some time'
(http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html).
swerdna's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=84
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420163

0
swerdna
8/18/2009 10:16:02 PM
Thanks. I took the patch from that page, installed it and everything
works ok except usb. I followed the instructions in your tutorial, fsck
and the vmx file, but no devices appear. The VMware web interface shows
that usb is installed and Windows does show the usb controller, but
neither the Device tab on VMWare nor VMware tools show any usb devices.

--
bearymore
bearymore's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1641
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420163

0
bearymore
8/20/2009 6:46:01 PM
bearymore;2028874 Wrote:
> Thanks. I took the patch from that page, installed it and everything
> works ok except usb. I followed the instructions in your tutorial, fsck
> and the vmx file, but no devices appear. The VMware web interface shows
> that usb is installed and Windows does show the usb controller, but
> neither the Device tab on VMWare nor VMware tools show any usb devices.

That's the limit of my experience (maybe reboot so the "auto" kicks in
from fstab).

--
'Drop in and visit some time'
(http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html).
swerdna's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=84
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=420163

0
swerdna
8/20/2009 9:56:01 PM
swerdna;2028967 Wrote:
> That's the limit of my experience (maybe reboot so the "auto" kicks in
> from fstab).

Thanks for all your help. I meant fstab. I did reboot at the time but,
alas, no luck.