Totally weird boot problem: can't boot without install disk.

So I, like, installed OpenSuse, which is totally cool but totally weird,
on my computer yesterday and I'm having trouble booting from it. So I
totally can't boot from my hard disk unless I first boot from the, you
know, installation CD and then hit "Boot from hard drive". OpenSuse did
the weird Linux thingy when it partitioned my disk by making about 5
different partitions and not telling me which one I should boot from.
I've tried reinstalling the boot loader (grub) with no success. Bummer,
right?
Yeah, well, so far as I can tell, none of the partitions have a boot
flag. Any help would be awesome.

--
surely

surely
11/26/2009 6:46:02 PM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

From the Live CD, open a terminal, and run the following

Code:
--------------------

  su
  fdisk -l
  grub
  find /boot/grub/menu.lst

--------------------

This will print a partition name, in grub notation, on the screen.
Something like (hd0,1). Substitute what it tells you in the next command
(and if it tells you several, you can do it for each - won't do any
harm);

Code:
--------------------

  cat (hd0,1)/boot/grub/menu.lst
  quit

--------------------

Paste the output (like) here.

--
Confuseling
Confuseling's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=16190

0
Confuseling
11/26/2009 6:56:01 PM
i totally like you know have trouble like helping ya 'cause my crystal
ball is like on the fritz you know...and, i cant like see exactly what
might be your hard drive configurations, you know?

it would awesome if you could like include some helpful details like
maybe copy paste the output from like

cat /etc/fstab
and
cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

and like also it would so cool if you could like tell us about your
'puter, you know....i mean like is a laptop or blasting huge powerful
beast with pulsating do-dads and what-nots??...i mean like and also i
can't from tell if you installed 11.0 with gnome or 11.1 with kde or
just what you like did do man (or are like girl, i cant see that
either from where i am...do you have webcam?)...i mean like is a 64 or
a 32 or maybe even 16 i dont know....you got any ram at all, or a
zapping video card whatcamacallit..

so, about that no boot flag thing, how did that happen? did you erase
it, or what.. did the openSUSE install disk do the partitioning and
stuff like that or did you all do that in like before the fact, like
with partitionMagic kinda stuff...

i wonder like, did you do a md5sum check of that iso before you burned
it to disk, or like what man...did you do a media check at all...you
so have to do that man....and, have you like digested any of the stuff
in the stickies at the top of like this forums dude??

dude, i mean like get with the like reading thing. ok?

--
palladium
0

Code:
--------------------

  grub> cat (hd0,4)/boot/grub/menu.lst
  # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Thu Nov 26 10:04:04 MST 2009
  # THIS FILE WILL BE PARTIALLY OVERWRITTEN by perl-Bootloader
  # Configure custom boot parameters for updated kernels in /etc/sysconfig/bootloader

  default 0
  timeout 8
  ##YaST - generic_mbr
  gfxmenu (hd0,4)/boot/message
  ##YaST - activate

  ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
  title Desktop -- openSUSE 11.2 - 2.6.31.5-0.1
  root (hd0,4)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_
  HTS542580K9SA00_081111BB2B10WFJS6KMA-part5 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_H
  TS542580K9SA00_081111BB2B10WFJS6KMA-part2 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x31
  7
  initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop

  ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
  title Failsafe -- openSUSE 11.2 - 2.6.31.5-0.1
  root (hd0,4)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_
  HTS542580K9SA00_081111BB2B10WFJS6KMA-part5 showopts apm=off noresume nosmp maxc
  pus=0 edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 x11fai
  lsafe vga=0x317

surely's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=38011
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=427131

0
surely
11/26/2009 7:26:02 PM
Sorry i got cranky with you. :) please forgive me. here's more output:

Code:
--------------------
    cat /etc/fstab
  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542580K9SA00_081111BB2B10WFJS6KMA-part2 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542580K9SA00_081111BB2B10WFJS6KMA-part5 /                    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542580K9SA00_081111BB2B10WFJS6KMA-part6 /home                ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
  proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
  sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
  debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
  usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
  devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0

--------------------

--
surely
surely's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=38011
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=427131

0
surely
11/26/2009 7:56:02 PM
palladium;2076875 Wrote:
> i totally like you know have trouble like helping ya 'cause my crystal
> ball is like on the fritz you know...and, i cant like see exactly what
> might be your hard drive configurations, you know?
>
> it would awesome if you could like include some helpful details like
> maybe copy paste the output from like
>
> cat /etc/fstab
> and
> cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> and like also it would so cool if you could like tell us about your
> 'puter, you know....i mean like is a laptop or blasting huge powerful
> beast with pulsating do-dads and what-nots??...i mean like and also i
> can't from tell if you installed 11.0 with gnome or 11.1 with kde or
> just what you like did do man (or are like girl, i cant see that
> either from where i am...do you have webcam?)...i mean like is a 64 or
> a 32 or maybe even 16 i dont know....you got any ram at all, or a
> zapping video card whatcamacallit..
>
> so, about that no boot flag thing, how did that happen? did you erase
> it, or what.. did the openSUSE install disk do the partitioning and
> stuff like that or did you all do that in like before the fact, like
> with partitionMagic kinda stuff...
>
> i wonder like, did you do a md5sum check of that iso before you burned
> it to disk, or like what man...did you do a media check at all...you
> so have to do that man....and, have you like digested any of the stuff
> in the stickies at the top of like this forums dude??
>
> dude, i mean like get with the like reading thing. ok?
>
> --
> palladium

Please, stop giving ridiculing answers like this, or don't post at all.
There's other places for mental mast*tion.

To the original poster: apologies for the above. The bootloader menfile
seems OK, it looks like the bootloader code is not in the right place.

Did you try the repair function of the install media? If that does not
work, try this:

Start the system the way you know to get it started.
Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to the console.
Login with "normal" username and password. do next:

grub-install /dev/sda

After it's finished, do:

reboot

Take the CD out of the drive and see what happens. Get back here and
let us know if it works. If not, we'll help you through.

--
- AMD Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR2-800, 30 GB SSD, 1.5 TB, EVGA 9800GT,
openSUSE 11.2 KDE4 4.3.3

R.E.S.T.E.C.P.
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=427131

0
Knurpht
11/26/2009 8:16:02 PM
no go.

Code:
--------------------
    #sudo /usr/sbin/grub-install /dev/sda
  WARNING! You are trying to invoke the unsupported grub-install script
  with a parameter. To really do this, call grub-install.unsupported.
  You should rather call "yast2 bootloader" or create configuration files
  appropriate for the intended target.
  #sudo /usr/sbin/grub-install.unsupported /dev/sda
  /dev/sda does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

--------------------

thanks anyway, man.

--
surely
surely's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=38011
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=427131

0
surely
11/26/2009 9:36:02 PM
> Please, stop giving ridiculing answers like this, or don't post at all.
> There's other places for mental mast*tion.

like so many awesome thanks man.

--
palladium
0
> To the original poster: apologies for the above.

so like, are you now the awesome official moderator and determiner of
which posts other than your own requires your apologies, or what man??

oh wow, so cool..

--
palladium
0

Can't boot a guest OS in XEN without installation disk
Hopefully someone here can answer this question I have about XEN, sorry I usually use KVM but the version in the repos is to old to run Windows 7. I installed the windows guest yesterday and set a couple of things up, but today when I tried to boot it the VM got as far as the BIOS and crashed. After trying 8 times with no luck I sat down and thought about what has changed that could effect the VM, that is when it hit me the installation disk is not in my DVD drive. I quickly throw that in my drive hit the "Run" button and it boots! My question is why is this required, I...

11.3 took 5 goes to install, doesn't boot without assistance and can't upgrade
I had a working setup of opensuse 11.0, dual booting using grub installed on the home partition. I tried to install 11.3 from the coverdisc of linux format (LXFDVD136). It took 5 goes before the install succeeded. Mostly stopping at the "boot installed system" stage. I put 11.3 on a formatted partition in the same place as 11.0, and put grub there too. The system will not boot without assistance. I have to use a supergrub disc and tell it which partition to boot. If I use boot linux from supergrub I get the Grub error message 15 file not found. Supergrub CAN find...

Can't install grub/lilo, can't restor windows boot
Hi I tried to install opensuse 11 yesterday. But it couldn't install GRUB. It says - *disk doesn't exist* I cancelled the installation and now I cannot even access my windows (fixmbr and fixboot don't help) Please help! -- greg606 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Well, In some cases (especially when using recovery boot) grub reports installation problems. But this is the first time somebody reports fixmbr problems. 1/ I would consider using windows disk to load emergency console to try to access windows disk. If...

Install help-Can't Boot from DVD
I have an older PC. it will only boot from CD, not from the DVD. I installed from the live CD, but now want to have a full install of 11.2, and the machine has no internet access. I have burned the iso of 11.2 to a dvd, but how shall I get it to install? There is an .exe file on the dvd, but (obviously??) the os thinks that it is an archive file. Please help. ND -- NDcfd ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I don't think the USB is an option. Assuming for the moment that I have a network card, what would I do with it? Can I...

CD drive will boot Linux install CD ... but won't boot Windows XP install CD
I have been given a six-year-old PC. It will boot a KNOPPIX DVD and a Ubuntu CD. But it won't boot a Windows XP install CD. Any idea what might be wrong? -- Chris Chris wrote : > I have been given a six-year-old PC. > It will boot a KNOPPIX DVD and a Ubuntu CD. > But it won't boot a Windows XP install CD. > Any idea what might be wrong? The CD of course! Is it clean and free of scratches ? Does it just not boot, but files can be read off it ? Does it boot OK in another machine ? -- Ninho In article <44E05CB4.D2ED9A28@this.address.is.invalid...

Help
I first tried this with the version 11.0 and then again with 11.1 with no difference. I boot from the liveCD, everything looks good and then the entire screen goes blank and stays blank. I suspect this happens when it attempts to switch to the graphical video mode. The quick hardware specs are: * New blank SATA HDD is installed. * I'm booting from the LiveCD * Dell Dimension 8400 with 4-Gigs RAM * Video card is a NVidia 9500GT with dual DVI outputs. This setup works perfect with WinXP-Pro and with Ubuntu 8.04. But with OpenSuse (and Fedora 10.0) it gets to a certain poin...

after installing deer park without domi, you can't install, without reinstall ???
Name: haytjes Email: hv1989_at_gmail.com Product: Deer Park Summary: after installing deer park without domi, you can't install, without reinstall ??? Comments: Hi, I've installed Deer Park, with the common installation and didn't know there was an Domi 'extension'. But now I figured out there was and how to install it (reinstall). And I don't want to do that, so can you make it possible to install domi without reinstall. And if it is already like this way, please make it understable how you can do it. greetz haytjes Browser Details: Mozill...

'can't find source media' during 11.3 install although does boot the iso dvd..?
Greets: I spent some hours trying to find info about my problem but couldn't. Soo..here's my problem. I'm trying to install 11.3. The iso install DVD boots up ok, says 'welcome' in far more languages than I understand, I select English & US English then all useful progress stops. It suddenly can't detect my CD/DVD (although it DID when the system booted with the CD/DVD drive selected as 1st device to try to boot). I've tried pushing the button to eject and reload the DVD, no dice. Nothing seems to work, when I finally go for shutdown it suggests I ...

Can't Install XE2 help From Web Installer
Keeps giving me the following error: "Unable to load Plug-in library. Please rebuild your project and make sure all required plugins are installed." The main install worked fine - just can't get the help to install. > {quote:title=Nigel Tavendale wrote:}{quote} > Keeps giving me the following error: > > "Unable to load Plug-in library. Please rebuild your project and make sure all required plugins are installed." > > The main install worked fine - just can't get the help to install. I can't get anything install at all with the s...

Can't install/boot a liveCD
Hello, I've just downloaded the ( 'openSUSE-11.1-KDE4-LiveCD-i686.iso' (http://tinyurl.com/75xhjx) ) and burnt it .. booted just fine now there is no installation choice. there is: ------------------------- openSuSE 11.1 (KDE) Fail Safe Boot from Hard Disk Memory Test ------------------------- or something similar. Anyway when i choose the first one it loads then i enter a linux shell asking for a login and password - the "linux" username seemed to login without a pass but i absolutely have no idea how to install linux from a shell. Where is the GUI in...

can't boot from installation dvd
hello all. was going to upgrade to 11 from a working installation of 10.3, but cannot get the install dvd to boot. no problems booting from the 10.3 dvd or Mac OS disks, and have burned and checked two different disks (one downloaded from torrent, the other directly from this site) and no luck. am trying this on an Apple Powerbook G3 Pismo by the way. any suggestions? thanks in advance! -dan -- budoka ------------------------------------------------------------------------ May a silly question did you burn the DVD as DVD iso image ? all the best -- dobb...

boot sector/MBR and Vista? SUSE 10.1 install can't mount it's own partition
Apparently, Vista doesn't boot in the same way previous NT OS's boot. What I can't figure out is, what has Vista done to screw up the way SUSE identifies partitions that causes it to be unable to mount them when it tries to install its bootloader (Grub). Grub doesn't get installed, because during the installation process it says it fails to mount the desired partitons (those just created and formatted by the installation process of SUSE) with an error 17 IIRC. I never had this problem before installing Vista, and Vista boots differently than XP or any other MS OS. Wo...

can't install amsn, suse dont't install tcl scripting langua
Hi all i recently installed opensuse 11.1 i586, and i need to install amsn here, but i got a error when installing, it says that needs the TCL Scripting Language, i typed "tcl" on yast and i found the files needed, i check the files on software management, and i click accept, it asks for the opensuse cd, but i only have the dvd install, i put it on the dvd rom, but i get a error message "failed to mount /dev/srO ...." :( i dont understand whats going on. EDIT: I think i posted in the wrong section, sorry i didnt find any other that matchs my problem PS: so...

Upgrading/Installing Zfd4.01 problem, can't complete installation.
Hello. NW 6.5 Small Business Suite Server, SP 4. Updated Zen 2 to Zen for Desktops 3. Trying to update Zfd3 to Zfd4.01. This is my problem: I select the "Zenworks for Desktop Server"-option, press "Next", "Accept" etc. all the way to the "Select Target Server to which Zenworks for Desktops will be installed". I then select my server and mark all but "XML Proxy Services". Unfortunately the "Finish"-button is greyed out, so I have no way of actually completing the installation. My questions: - why is the "F...

Web resources about - Totally weird boot problem: can't boot without install disk. - opensuse.org.help.install