Open Suse 11.1 - Fligthgear 1.9.1 - Source Code install

Hello All,
I am busy installing FlightGear completely "from sourcecode" by
manually downloading all tar-balls. I've untarred all packages in their
own directories like:
/root/download/flightgear/flightgear_program/FlightGear-1.9.1
/root/download/flightgear/Simgear/Simgear-1.9.1/..
/root/download/flightgear/openscenegraph/OpenSceneGraph/..
/root/download/flightgear/..

I did all the installation commands like
(- ./autoconfig.sh)
- ./configure *without any prefixes or options!*
- make
(- make test)
- make install

*Current Status:*
Finished all the making, building and compiling of all packages
Trying to put all compiled pieces into the right place, directory

*Question (if you have FlightGear already up-and-running on your
system):*
1. Can you tell me where all your Plib,OpenSceneGraph, Simgear,
FlightGear and FlightGear_datafiles have been installed on your machine?

2. Which commandline options to i need to add to fgfs of fgrun, so that
everything works correctly and Flightgear starts up.
On the FlightGear website i encounter "stupid vague descriptions" like:
- "/path/to/FlightGear"...(what? directory? executable file?)
- "/path/to/data".........(which directory of the data? which files
must in in that directory??)
- "/path/to/simgear"
but no-one tells EXACTLY to which directory and which files those
"paths to..." must point! (like /usr/share/flightgear/ <fgfs> exeutable)

3. Where and how do i need to add the FlightGear environment Variables?

In which FILE at which LOCATION must i add these settings?
This is what the manual vaguely writes about it:

('3 Takeoff: How to start the program'
(http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/getstart/getstartch3.html#x8-200003.1))
-To add these in the Bourne shell (and compatibles):
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/share/FlightGear/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
FG_HOME=/usr/local/share/FlightGear
export FG_HOME
FG_ROOT=/usr/local/share/FlightGear/data
export FG_ROOT
FG_SCENERY=$FG_ROOT/Scenery:$FG_ROOT/WorldScenery
export FG_SCENERY

or in C shell (and compatibles):
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH=\
/usr/local/share/FlightGear/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
setenv FG_HOME=/usr/local/share/FlightGear
setenv FG_ROOT=/usr/local/share/FlightGear/data
setenv FG_SCENERY=\
$FG_HOME/Scenery:$FG_ROOT/Scenery:$FG_ROOT/WorldScenery
-

Thanks for your exact answers, tips :-)

--
ronaldvermeij

ronaldvermeij
9/17/2009 4:16:01 PM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

As for the where well that can be kind of up to you there is nothing
stopping you running it from you home environment.(May take a some
configs at configure though)

As for the rest Flightgear has more command flags than I've ever met...
'nopaste.com (beta)' (http://nopaste.com/p/aQgE6v9IS) soo many I
couldn't post it here without getting told too many chars..

So as some of the first few flags, you can pass it with commandline
flags... but...  you have fgrun use this to start with. It will generate
the commandline and you can see it before processing(And it has a nice
gui). One other thing look at terrasync for the scenery.

Having had a look at the spec it looks like /usr/something I suspect
/usr/share/FlightGear... If you really want to know download the rpm and
look at the structure... 'Index of /repositories/games/openSUSE_11.1'
(http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games/openSUSE_11.1/)

Also rather than using make install look at checkinstall. This may
actually be better but you may need to tweak the config if it is using
/usr/local or it may install here which won't completely matter. Or
better still look at the spec and see if you can tweak it from the
src.rpm.

Also naughty naughty it is generally a bad idea to do make and
.configure as root.

--
Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at 'Wiki'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page), if all that fails 'Scroogle'

0
FeatherMonkey
9/17/2009 4:56:01 PM
Thanks FeatherMonkey for your answer

--
ronaldvermeij
ronaldvermeij's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15956
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
ronaldvermeij
9/18/2009 8:46:01 AM
Let us know if you get this working? A little howto when you're done
would be appreciated :)

--
*I**B**M* Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 1.66Ghz | Mesa DRI Intel 945GM
video | 1.5GB Ram
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
suse
9/19/2009 3:46:01 PM
Hello All,
Here a "progress report" on my Flightgear installation quest:

1. I have gotten to the point the FlightGear simulator started with a
black square screen, and a text line below that mentioned:
"starting.. Loading scenery data.. etc etc". Only the package crashed,
because it gave an error message like this: "... can not find plugin to
load model data."

This error was caused by the missing OpenVrml (package,plugin) as a
part of the OpenSceneGraph package. I have tried several time to
recompile, make and make install the OpenVrml Packege, but i kept
crashing into "lack of real detailed documentation".

2. One of the main reason that frustrated me, was the serious lack of
EXACT documentation and real life EXAMPLES. From those examples i could
have been able to deduct the necceasary information myself.

3. Most README, INSTALL and "manual" writers *assume* that every reader
is as skilled as they are themselves in the field of compilation,
debugging and installation.
Unfortunately i was not yet 100% Linux make compatible at the time of
the installation but i have learned an awefull lot the last week :-) It
brought back very good memories for the beginning of my (turbo,
microsoft) c-programming times about 15 year ago

4. An other thing that really killed my enthousiasme was DEPENDENCIES
and the lack of documentation about it!
Just as i tought that a ./configure would run smooth, a error showed up
telling me that i needed an "additional library" to perform the trick.
grrrr...

5. A third thing was that i could not find any FlightGear installation
documentation online that was able to tell me how a CORRECTLY INSTALLED
and WORKING FlightGear Packages looked like on my harddisk. Something
like:
- These libraries (x,y,z..) -> /usr/lib
- FlightGear Executable (fgfs) -> /usr/bin/fgfs
- FlightGear FGrun -> /usr/bin/fgrun
- Flight Data directory -> /usr/local/share/FlightGear/data
- Flight Scenery directory -> /usr/local/share/FlightGear/data/Scenery

I have spend a lot of time:
- "vi make", "vi autoconf.sh", "vi configure" the installation scripts
to see how they worked
- "find / | grep <filename>" to figure out where the h**l all "maked "
and "make install" stuff was parked on my harddrive..
- Surfing the internet to find "dependent libraries" to complete the
wishlist of a certain package, that "missed a lib" during make.

That is why i choose - afer 4 long hardworking days to do it from
scratch - to just fire up "Yast" add the right repository and choose to
install FlightGear as an rpm package.

Finally:
I believe that i had more in-depth handson experience on the Linux
commandline + detailed and clear documentation i would have succesfully
completed this adventure :-) Who knows an i going to do it again :-) A
complete manual install from source_code of FlightGear.. cause it was a
very rewarding and learning experience :-)

And i wish to thank all hardworking enthousiasts of the OpenSource,
Linux - and Flightsim community all over the world for creating the
packages that made up this wonderfull flightsim! Respect to you all!

"Check Six Often and keep the blue side up"
Ronald

--
ronaldvermeij
ronaldvermeij's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15956
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
ronaldvermeij
9/20/2009 10:06:02 AM
The version in the repos is quite old (v1.0) from the looks of it.

You could try and contact the person that packaged that version for a
few tips on how to install from scratch.

--
*I**B**M* Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 1.66Ghz | Mesa DRI Intel 945GM
video | 1.5GB Ram
openSuSE 11.1 | Linux 2.6.27.29-0.1 pae i686 | KDE 4.3.1
suse_tpx60s's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=28191
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
suse
9/21/2009 9:16:03 AM
Saw your postings in the Flightgear forums. Did not bring you any
further?

You might use fgrun. If you use that and configure it properly, it does
not realy matter where your Flightgear stuff is.

--
- AMD Athlon X2 6.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR2-800, 1,5 TB diskspace, EVGA 9800GT,
opensuse 11.1,kernel 2.6.29, KDE4-Factory+Qt45

There's one in every cloud...So leave the cloud in peace.
Knurpht's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=783
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
Knurpht
9/21/2009 11:36:01 AM
This is not a how to do it but a what I did...

2 spec files

Code:
--------------------
    #
  # spec file for package FlightGear (Version 1.9.1)
  #

  # norootforbuild

  Name:           FlightGear

  %if 0%{?suse_version}
  BuildRequires: freeglut-devel gcc-c++ libjpeg-devel openal-devel libOpenSceneGraph-devel plib-devel update-desktop-files xorg-x11
  # Be aware that in Build Service games repo
  # it is built within games libraries where freealut is split off from openal.
  BuildRequires: freealut-devel
  # fgrun needs fltk
  BuildRequires: fltk-devel
  %if %suse_version >= 1010
  BuildRequires:  libdrm-devel
  %endif

  # openal is splitted in 10.2 into openal and freealut.
  # Reccomends tag is handled in SuSE > 1010
  %if %suse_version > 1000
  Recommends: FlightGear-startup-manual
  %endif

  # others distributions then SuSE
  %else
  %if 0%{?mandriva_version}
  BuildRequires:  freeglut-devel gcc-c++ libjpeg-devel libdrm-devel openal-devel plib-devel
  BuildRequires: fltk-devel
  %else
  %if 0%{?fedora_version}
  BuildRequires:  freeglut-devel freealut-devel gcc-c++ libjpeg-devel libdrm-devel openal-devel plib-devel
  BuildRequires: fltk-devel
  %endif
  %endif
  %endif

  License:        GPL
  Group:          Amusements/Games/3D/Simulation
  Autoreqprov:    on
  Version:        1.9.1
  Release:        17.19
  Provides:       flightgr
  Obsoletes:      flightgr
  PreReq:         /bin/ln
  Source3:        fgrun-1.5.1.tar.gz
  # icons
  Source4:        fg-icons.tgz
  %define fgrunversion   1.5.1
  # FlightGear patches
  #Patch1:         %{name}-1.0.0-browser.patch
  #Patch2:         %{name}-1.0.0-plib_version.patch
  # SimGear patches
  #Patch11:        %{simgear}-strict_alias.patch
  #Patch12:        %{simgear}-plib_version.patch
  # FGrun patches
  Patch21:        fgrun-suse_prefs.patch
  #Patch22:        fgrun-missing_include.patch
  BuildRoot:      %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-build
  Requires:       FlightGear-data = %version

  %description
  The Flight Gear Flight Simulator project is a free, Open Source,
  multi-platform, cooperative flight simulator development project.

  Authors:
  --------
  Raoul Alonzo <amil@las.es>
  Michele America <nomimarketing@mail.telepac.pt>
  Michael Basler <pmb@knUUt.de>
  Jon S. Berndt <jsb@hal-pc.org>
  Paul Bleisch <pbleisch@acm.org>
  Jim Brennan <jjb@foothill.net>
  Bernie Bright <bbright@c031.aone.net.au>
  Bernhard H. Buckel <buckel@wmad95.mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
  Gene Buckle <geneb@nwlink.com>
  Didier Chauveau <chauveau@math.univ-mlv.fr>
  Oliver Delise <delise@rp-plus.de>
  Dave Eberly <eberly@magic-software.com>
  Francine Evans <evans@cs.sunysb.edu>
  Oscar Everitt <bigoc@premier.net>
  Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler <zlib@quest.jpl.nasa.gov>
  Thomas Gellekum <tg@ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
  Jeff Goeke-Smith <jgoeke@voyager.net>
  Michael I. Gold <gold@puck.asd.sgi.com>
  Charlie Hotchkiss <chotchkiss@namg.us.anritsu.com>
  Bruce Jackson of NASA <e.b.jackson@larc.nasa.gov>
  Richard Kaszeta <bofh@me.umn.edu>
  Tom Knienieder <knienieder@ms.netwing.at>
  Reto Koradi <kor@mol.biol.ethz.ch>
  Bob Kuehne <rpk@sgi.com>
  Christian Mayer <Vader@t-online.de>
  David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  Eric Mitchell <mitchell@mars.ark.com>
  Anders Morken <amrken@online.no>
  Alan Murta <amurta@cs.man.ac.uk>
  Alexei Novikov <anovikov@heron.itep.ru>
  Curt Olson <curt@flightgear.org>
  Tony Peden <apeden@earthlink.net>
  Robin Peel <robinp@mindspring.com>
  Friedemann Reinhard <mpt218@faupt212.physik.uni-erlangen.de>
  Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@games.no>
  William Riley <riley@technologist.com>
  Paul Schlyter <pausch@saaf.se>
  Chris Schoeneman <crs@millpond.engr.sgi.com>
  Phil Schubert <philings@zedley.com>
  Jonathan R Shewchuk <Jonathan_R_Shewchuk@ux4.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
  Gordan Sikic <gsikic@public.srce.hr>
  Michael Smith <msmith99@flash.net>
  Durk Talsma <pn_talsma@macmail.psy.uva.nl>
  Mark Vallevand <Mark.Vallevand@UNISYS.com>
  Gary R. Van Sickle <tiberius@braemarinc.com>
  Norman Vine <nhv@laserplot.com>
  Roland Voegtli <webmaster@sanw.unibe.ch>
  Carmelo Volpe <carmelo.volpe@csb.ki.se>
  Darrell Walisser <dwaliss1@purdue.edu>
  Robert Allan Zeh <raz@cmg.FCNBD.COM>

  %package startup-manual

  License:        GPL
  Group:          Amusements/Games/3D/Simulation

  %description startup-manual
  The FlightGear Manual Version 1.9.1  December 15, 2007
  For FlightGear version 1.9.1.

  Authors:
  --------
  Michael Basler, Martin Spott,
  Stuart Buchanan, Jon Berndt,
  Bernhard Buckel, Cameron Moore,
  Curt Olson, Dave Perry,
  Michael Selig, Darrell Walisser,
  and others

  %package fgrun

  License:        GPL
  Group:          Amusements/Games/3D/Simulation
  Requires:       FlightGear = 1.9.1

  %description fgrun
  The FlightGear Graphical Launcher

  Authors:
  --------
  Bernie Bright <bbright@users.sourceforge.net>
  Original author.

  Frederic Bouvier <fredb@users.sourceforge.net>
  Project admin,

  %prep
  #
  # build only for SuSE 10.0 and higher
  # because of need to have uptodate some packages (e.g. openal)
  # or use a libs subproject in games project in Build Service
  #
  %setup -n FlightGear-1.9.1 -q -b 1 -b 3 -a 2 -a 4
  # fgrun patches
  pushd ../fgrun-%{fgrunversion}
  %patch21
  #%patch22
  popd
  # SimGear patches
  pushd ../%{simgear}
  #%patch11
  popd
  # FlightGear patches
  #%patch1
  rm -fv docs-mini/README.MSVC*
  rm -fv docs-mini/README.IRIX docs-mini/README.MacOS

  %build
  rm -rf /var/tmp/tmpinstall
  mkdir  /var/tmp/tmpinstall
  export CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS -fno-strict-aliasing"
  export CXXFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS -fno-strict-aliasing"
  # beware where is the X libraries installed (X.org 6.9 vs. 7.x)
  %if "%(xft-config --prefix)" == "/usr"
  CONFIGURE_OPTIONS="--prefix=%{_prefix} --libdir=%{_libdir} --mandir=%{_mandir} \
  --infodir=%{_infodir} --sysconfdir=%{_sysconfdir} --without-logging \
  --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/%{_lib}"
  %else
  CONFIGURE_OPTIONS="--prefix=%{_prefix} --libdir=%{_libdir} --mandir=%{_mandir} \
  --infodir=%{_infodir} --sysconfdir=%{_sysconfdir} --without-logging"
  %endif
  #
  # SimGear build and install
  # don't use make %{?jobs:-j%jobs}, fails on some archs everytime
  #
  cd ../%{simgear}
  %{?suse_update_config:%{suse_update_config -f}}
  autoreconf --force --install
  CPPFLAGS="-I /var/tmp/tmpinstall/%{_includedir}" ./configure $CONFIGURE_OPTIONS \
  --with-jpeg-factory LDFLAGS=-L/var/tmp/tmpinstall/usr/%{_lib}
  make %{?jobs:-j%jobs}
  make DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT     install
  make DESTDIR=/var/tmp/tmpinstall install
  cd ../%{name}-1.9.1*
  #
  # FlightGear finally
  # don't use make %{?jobs:-j%jobs}, fails sometimes on every archs.
  # should be fixed now
  autoreconf --force --install
  %{?suse_update_config:%{suse_update_config -f}}
  # beware where is the X libraries installed (X.org 6.9 vs. 7.x)
  %if "%(xft-config --prefix)" == "/usr"
  ./configure $CONFIGURE_OPTIONS --with-x --with-simgear=/var/tmp/tmpinstall/usr \
  --enable-osgviewer \
  LDFLAGS=-L/var/tmp/tmpinstall/usr/%{_lib} \
  --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/%{_lib}
  %else
  ./configure $CONFIGURE_OPTIONS --with-x --with-simgear=/var/tmp/tmpinstall/usr \
  --enable-osgviewer \
  LDFLAGS=-L/var/tmp/tmpinstall/usr/%{_lib}
  %endif
  make %{?jobs:-j%jobs}
  # use sdl instead of glut if some problems to run FG, no need to do so now, freeglut is fixed in Suse
  #    --enable-sdl

  # install icons and their License
  for i in 16 32 48 64 128; do
  install -D -m 0644 icons/fg-${i}.png $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/share/icons/hicolor/${i}x${i}/apps/FG.png
  done
  install -D -m 0644 icons/README $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/share/doc/packages/FlightGear/README_icons

  # now build fgrun application
  cd ../fgrun-%{fgrunversion}
  %{?suse_update_config:%{suse_update_config -f}}
  %if "%(xft-config --prefix)" == "/usr"
  %configure --with-simgear=/var/tmp/tmpinstall/usr  --with-x LDFLAGS=-L/var/tmp/tmpinstall/usr/%{_lib} \
  --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/%{_lib}
  %else
  %configure --with-simgear=/var/tmp/tmpinstall/usr --with-x LDFLAGS=-L/var/tmp/tmpinstall/usr/%{_lib}
  %endif
  make %{?jobs:-j%jobs}

  %install
  make DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT install
  mkdir SimGear
  mkdir FGrun
  cp ../%{simgear}/{AUTHORS,COPYING,NEWS,README,TODO} SimGear
  cp ../fgrun-%{fgrunversion}/{AUTHORS,COPYING,ChangeLog,NEWS,README} FGrun
  # fgrun
  pushd ../fgrun-%{fgrunversion}
  make DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT install
  popd

  %if 0%{?suse_version} > 0
  %suse_update_desktop_file -c %name FlightGear "Flight Simulator" fgfs "FG" Game Simulation
  %endif

  %clean
  rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

  %files
  %defattr (-, root, root)
  %doc AUTHORS COPYING ChangeLog NEWS README Thanks SimGear/ docs-mini/
  %doc %{_mandir}/man1/*
  /usr/bin/*
  %exclude /usr/bin/fgrun
  /usr/include/*
  /usr/%{_lib}/lib*
  %if 0%{?suse_version} > 0
  /usr/share/applications/%name.desktop
  %endif
  /usr/share/icons/hicolor
  %exclude /usr/%{_lib}/*.a
  %exclude /usr/include/simgear/*.h
  %exclude /usr/include/simgear/*/*.h
  %exclude /usr/include/simgear/*/*.hxx
  %exclude /usr/include/simgear/*/*/*.hxx

  %files startup-manual
  %defattr (-, root, root)
  %doc FG_getstart.pdf

  %files fgrun
  %defattr (-, root, root)
  %doc FGrun
  /usr/bin/fgrun
  /usr/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/fgrun.mo

  %changelog
  * Tue Jul  1 2008 lmichnovic@suse.cz
  - excluding header files in /usr/include/simgear/*
  * Tue Jul  1 2008 lmichnovic@suse.cz
  - fixed missing include (fgrun-missing_include.patch)
  * Mon Jun 30 2008 lmichnovic@suse.cz
  - added icons from Josh Babcock (GPL licensed)
  - added icon name to desktop file
  * Wed Apr 30 2008 lmichnovic@suse.cz
  - switched to OSG viewer instead of plib
  - enabled jpeg support in Simgear (libjpeg-devel -> BuildReq)
  * Mon Apr 28 2008 lmichnovic@suse.cz
  - update fgrun to version 1.0.1
  * program internationalized
  * dutch, french, german, italian, polish and portugese localisations
  * fix a crash when "Default" button was pressed
  * fix clock_freeze option
  * added a combo to choose bpp in the wizard
  * added aircraft status and author in the wizard
  * Wed Mar  5 2008 lmichnovic@suse.cz
  - added fgrun 1.0.0 application as subpackage
  needs fltk-devel in BuildReq
  It needs manual setting ;(
  * Thu Jan  3 2008 lmichnovic@suse.cz
  - updated FlightGear, SimGear and get_start manual to version 1.0.0
  obsoleted patches SG-include.patch, FG-includes.patch
  * Wed Nov 21 2007 lmichnovic@suse.cz
  - added OpenSceneGraph-devel to BuildReq
  - new subpackage startup-manual which contains manual in pdf
  * Tue Oct 16 2007 lmichnovic@suse.cz
  - update to cvs version 20071016
  - obsoletes FG patches: *64bit.patch, *test.patch
  * array_overflow.patch
  - obsoletes SG: *uninitialized.patch
--------------------

Code:
--------------------
    Name:		FlightGear-data
  Summary:	FlightGear base scenery and data files
  Version:	1.9.1
  Release:	3%{?dist}
  Provides:	FlightGear-data

  License:	GPLv2+
  Group:		Amusements/Games
  Source0:         %{name}-1.9.1.tar.gz
  URL:		http://www.flightgear.org/
  BuildRoot:	%{_tmppath}/%{name}-{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)
  BuildArch:	noarch
  Obsoletes:	fgfs-base < 1.9.0-1

  %description
  This package contains the base scenery for FlightGear and must be
  installed

  %prep

  %build

  %install
  rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
  install -d $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_datadir}/FlightGear/
  tar zxvf %{SOURCE0} -C $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_datadir}/FlightGear/

  # cleanup temporary files and fix permissions
  find $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_datadir}/FlightGear -name '*#*' -exec rm {} \;
  find $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_datadir}/FlightGear -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

  # fix wrong eol encoding on some doc files
  for f in data/Docs/FGShortRef.css data/Docs/README.kln89.html data/Docs/FGShortRef.html \
  	data/Docs/README.submodels data/Docs/README.yasim data/Docs/README.xmlparticles
  do
  	sed -i 's/\r//' $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_datadir}/FlightGear/$f
  done

  # remove hidden dirs
  for d in data/Aircraft/c172/Panels/Textures/.xvpics \
  	Textures/Runway/.xvpics
  do
  	rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_datadir}/FlightGear/$d
  done

  # fix files not in utf-8
  for f in data/Thanks data/Docs/README.xmlparticles
  do
  	path=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_datadir}/FlightGear/$f
  	iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 -o ${path}.utf8 $path
  	mv -f ${path}.utf8 ${path}
  done

  # put documentation and license in the proper location
  mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_docdir}/%{name}-%{version}
  for f in data/COPYING data/AUTHORS data/NEWS data/README /data/Thanks data/Docs
  do
  	mv $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_datadir}/FlightGear/$f \
  		$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_docdir}/%{name}-%{version}
  done

  %clean
  rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

  %files
  %defattr(-, root, root, 0755)
  %doc %{_docdir}/%{name}-%{version}
  %{_datadir}/FlightGear/

  %changelog
  * Fri Jul 24 2009 Fedora Release Engineering <rel-eng@lists.fedoraproject.org> - 1.9.0-3
  - Rebuilt for https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Mass_Rebuild

  * Mon Feb 23 2009 Fedora Release Engineering <rel-eng@lists.fedoraproject.org> - 1.9.0-2
  - Rebuilt for https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Mass_Rebuild

  * Tue Jan 06 2009 Fabrice Bellet <fabrice@bellet.info> 1.9.0-1
  - new upstream release

  * Mon Jan  7 2008 Fabrice Bellet <fabrice@bellet.info> 1.0.0-1
  - new upstream release

  * Sun Sep 23 2007 Fabrice Bellet <fabrice@bellet.info> 0.9.11-0.2.pre1
  - update License tag

  * Wed Jun 27 2007 Fabrice Bellet <fabrice@bellet.info> 0.9.11-0.1.pre1
  - new upstream (pre-)release

  * Sat Apr  7 2007 Fabrice Bellet <fabrice@bellet.info> 0.9.10-3
  - use sed instead of dos2unix to correct end-of-line encoding

  * Mon Apr  2 2007 Fabrice Bellet <fabrice@bellet.info> 0.9.10-2
  - Move documentation and license to a better place and mark it as %%doc
  - Fix wrong end-of-line encoding in some doc files

  * Tue Mar 20 2007 Fabrice Bellet <fabrice@bellet.info> 0.9.10-1
  - Initial packaging
--------------------

ls in SOURCES

Code:
--------------------
    FG_getstart.pdf.tar.bz2
  fg-icons.tgz
  fgrun-1.5.1.tar.gz
  fgrun-suse_prefs.patch
  FlightGear-1.9.1.tar.gz
  FlightGear-data-1.9.1.tar.gz
  FlightGear.desktop
  SimGear-1.9.1.tar.gz
--------------------

So sources in /usr/src/packages/SOURCES ditto SPECS then as user
Code:
--------------------
    rpmbuild -bb /all/the/path/to.spec
--------------------

Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at 'Wiki'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page), if all that fails 'Scroogle'
(http://www.scroogle.org/)!!!!!
If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it
sounds cool.
FeatherMonkey's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=78
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
FeatherMonkey
9/21/2009 4:36:03 PM
You'll end up with ls /usr/src/packages/RPMS/i586

Code:
--------------------
    FlightGear-1.9.1-17.19.i586.rpm
  FlightGear-fgrun-1.5.1-17.19.i586.rpm
  FlightGear-startup-manual-1.9.1-17.19.i586.rpm
--------------------

data will be in noarch

Only couple of things you need  libOpenSceneGraph-devel for build and
boost-devel iirc.

For run time you'll need OpenSceneGraph-plugins

I take nothing away from the authors of the original .specs both are
bastardised one from fed the other the original Suse src.rpm which gave
the desktop file.

If it works for you well done it works for me, you may have some build
deps missed I struggled with some bits in the spec and had to hardcode
the version due to problems(Short story they're a mess but they do work)

Getting the data was tricky I kept finding .xv files which I finally
converted but could probably amended the spec. Also renamed 1.9.0 to
1.9.1

--
Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at 'Wiki'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page), if all that fails 'Scroogle'
(http://www.scroogle.org/)!!!!!
If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it
sounds cool.
FeatherMonkey's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=78
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
FeatherMonkey
9/21/2009 4:46:03 PM
Edit Clarity..

When ditto meant
So specs in /usr/src/packages/SPECS

And those specs need some major cleaning up... I now remember why I
ended up using another distro a day later and I'm still no closer to
understanding all those macros.

--
Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at 'Wiki'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page), if all that fails 'Scroogle'
(http://www.scroogle.org/)!!!!!
If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it
sounds cool.
FeatherMonkey's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=78
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
FeatherMonkey
9/21/2009 4:56:01 PM
Thanks FeatherMonkey, for sharing your FG-installation knowlegde with me
:-) This clarifies al lot, why it would not run in the first place.

I crashed on manual installation because i could not get the OpenVrml
package "complete and compiled". The rest of the stuff i was able to
figure out myself.

What also killed me is the fact that Linux allows software to be
installed "all over the harddisk" (/usr, usr/bin, usr/local/..,
usr/share.. /usr/lib/ in contrast to the windows platform which (mostly)
stores
- Programs and executables -[]\programfiles\name_of_the_package
- libraries and dll's -[]\windows\ and []\windows\system32.
- Settings in the registry

And since i was not able to find detailed installation information
(where goes what after make install) i spend a lot of time figuring out
and "connecting the packages" together to one working Flightsim.

And using FGRUN is not an option, if you do not know where the stuff
was "make installed" to ;-) (which i have found it by now :-)

Question:
Do you know where i can find DEVELOPER-LEVEL documentation on
FlightGear on internet? The docs that show my how everything works
under-the-hood? of a crsytal clear graphic how everything is tied
together within FlightGear?

Regards,

Ronald
"I just made my first keyboard_controlled lowpass over KSFO and made a
nose dive into the grassland next to the runway"

--
ronaldvermeij
ronaldvermeij's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15956
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
ronaldvermeij
9/22/2009 3:26:01 PM
Mmm well I have to say I found that painful I had similar and fgrun kept
asking for flightgear 1.5.1. Then I struggled to understand why the data
files where getting stripped of data/ and fgrun was looking for /data
regardless of what I told it(Never did find out why and solved the data/
stripping which was caused by a tar flag.)

I tend to prefer using the package manager to handle stuff so I can
uninstall when it goes wrong ;) but having never really played with
specs I struggled I never did work out why if using %version fgrun was
looking for 1.5.1 so gave up and told it to look for 1.9.1.

As for installed all over the place not really you'll find most of it
in /usr/ /usr/lib holding most libs /usr/bin with the exes and
/usr/share the rest. Settings well should be in ~/.config but few stick
to this but ~/.*
I probably oversimplify but I just think of the top tier libs /lib as
the shared type ones i.e something I don't need to worry about.

It really is rare to see /usr/local used anymore also you tell the
program where to install with your configure flags. Make install is just
following along to the conventions you set with configure.

As for the devel not really there is several different components to
it, simgear would be the main one I would of thought, then flightgear
its self, but I suspect you'll have a lot of the scenery type things
based around terrasync. So not sure you'll find just one but an
amalgamation of a few bits. Without looking I wouldn't be surprised if
you found the source heavily commented either, combined with mailing
lists I would suspect this would contribute to the docs ;)

As for flying I may go back I'm determined to fly the cessna to the US
from the UK but greenland is a bit sparse on airports..

--
Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at 'Wiki'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page), if all that fails 'Scroogle'
(http://www.scroogle.org/)!!!!!
If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it
sounds cool.
FeatherMonkey's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=78
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
FeatherMonkey
9/22/2009 4:16:01 PM
> (Never did find out why and solved the data/ stripping which was caused
> by a tar flag.)
I use tar xvfz <tarbal.gz>
This automatically creates a /<tarbal_name> directory in the current
directory where you execute the tar command

> I tend to prefer using the package manager to handle stuff so I can
> uninstall when it goes wrong
That is also my favorite way to (de)install software. Since i could not
find a FlightGear<version>.rpm via Suse's Yast, I decided to do it "the
hard way" and build the package from scratch.

Back in the old days i use to make a living as a
(basic,pascal,clipper,c, c++ ) programmer, so i can read and understand
c++ sourcecode, i understand sources, libraries, linking, objects,
compilers and make tools. Armed with that knowledge i started the
"building FlightGear from the ground up" adventure, with enthusiasm.
This process helps me to understand how FlightGear is being
architectured and "how it works under-the-hood."

As for the Linux part of the installation.
I am rapidly learning to "read makefile", find my way around the linux
filesystem, managing the "linux way of doing software installation".
This was a hard, seep but very nice and rewarding learning experience
which gave me much insight on the Linux platform by much hands-on trail
and error exercise (To my opinion the ONLY way to master stuff on a
computer).

> It really is rare to see /usr/local used anymore also you tell the
> program where to install with your configure flags. Make install is just
> following along to the conventions you set with configure.
I choose to do it thsi way, because
- when i started to make and compile i did not yet understand al the
possible options like -prefix=/installation/directory :-(
- when i found and started /usr/lib/fgfs it produced an error "that it
could not find xxxx in /usr/local/share/flightgear". That is why i moved
the FlightGear file to that place on my harddrive.

> As for flying I may go back I'm determined to fly the cessna to the US
> from the UK but Greenland is a bit sparse on airports..
Nice adventure .. flying a Cessna from the UK to the US.
And for the lack of airports on Greenland i may have a solution or two
- it is possible to "maneuver the Nimitz" along your flightpath with
you? Then you have always a carrier and landingplace with you :-)
- It is possible to embed a flying tanker en-route? via an external
script. After all..there is a air-to-air refueling scenario in
FlightGear :-).
- Or MODify the Cessna's fuel capacity in its xml file, so that you do
not need to re-fuel on this trip?

Keep the blue side up and thanks again for the advise

--
ronaldvermeij
ronaldvermeij's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15956
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
ronaldvermeij
9/23/2009 9:46:01 AM
My data stripping was due to using the fed spec it was a flag
--strip-components 1 I still think it should of worked though, but I may
of been wrong as when I finally solved it I had a  runtime dep missing.

The harder way still was to write a spec(Or as I did bastardise one).
Couldn't find a src.rpm for the data though which complicated matters
and steepened the learning curve. The other way is to use checkinstall
instead of make install which will make a crude rpm. A handy command I
was using a lot is to see the structure of the rpm... rpm2cpio
/path/to/rpm | cpio -t.

As for the prefix etc sounds like you had better skills than I c++ just
looks like hieroglyphics to me.

Nothing stopping you using /usr/local I believe it is the old standard
of installing non-standard stuff, for ease of clean up. As for the
prefix magic pfft.. I had enough hassle with some basic compile
knowledge and a set of base specs to use. I find those macros just
obfuscate things and over complicate it give me a bash based package
system any day of the week.

You really should look at atlas 'Atlas - The FlightGear mapping
utility' (http://atlas.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=about) I tend to
have it open you have to tell Flightgear your running it. If you link it
with your data files then you can get the navcodes, but if you've not
been there it won't help much, but this does 'Navaid Info'
(http://worldaerodata.com/nav/)  Then with Terrasync you shouldn't get
any blank spots, but you will need to rebuild the Atlas maps
occasionally.  I'm really not going to hunt this down I have a working
FG on another distro and I'm done with spec building it is just too
difficult, but in case it helps I noticed my version has a heavy patch
to it. 'Arch Linux Repositories [community] View of
/flightgear-atlas/repos/community-x86_64/build-fix.patch'
(http://tinyurl.com/ltwr5d)

As for the cessna its got wet wings, I think I can make some obscure
airport in Iceland then some really obscure one in Greenland - Kulusuk
Note my navaid site doesn't help with all, I got that one from 'List of
airports in Greenland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_Greenland) I certainly
have wifi when I'm flying hehe.. And... you can cheat and just slide the
fuel bar

Good luck with your flying...

--
Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at 'Wiki'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page), if all that fails 'Scroogle'
(http://www.scroogle.org/)!!!!!
If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it
sounds cool.
FeatherMonkey's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=78
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
FeatherMonkey
9/23/2009 12:26:02 PM
P.S
So did you use the specs, did they work for you, or was it just a
source to iron out the niggles?

--
Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at 'Wiki'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page), if all that fails 'Scroogle'
(http://www.scroogle.org/)!!!!!
If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it
sounds cool.
FeatherMonkey's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=78
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
FeatherMonkey
9/23/2009 12:36:02 PM
> P.S So did you use the specs, did they work for you, or was it just a
> source to iron out the niggles?
I saved your specs and printed them out as learning sources.
Later when my new pc is ready, i'm going to do this adventure
again.Install Flightgear from source-code, so i will need it then.

Thanks for the NavIad website. I have a nice resource for you to look
at.
THE JEPPESEN WEBSITE, THE AOPA CHART CLINICS
'Service Overview' (http://tinyurl.com/y9vemro)

This PDF-based tutorial learns you to read jeppesen (IFR) chart in very
basis staps :-) Very much stuff.

Have fun with the chart clinic

--
ronaldvermeij
ronaldvermeij's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15956
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=422047

0
ronaldvermeij

I haven't seen this anywhere, so I figured I would add it here. First of all, it is incorrect to recommend to anyone that who has VS.NET 2002 to do ANYTHING but first install VS.NET 2002. The installl order for VS.NET 2002 and .Net Framwork 1.1 SHOULD BE: 0. Install ALL windows updates for your pc EXCEPT FOR .NET Framwork 1.1 1. Install VS.NET 2002 2. Install MSDE that comes w/VS.NET 2002 (USE A NAMED INSTANCE! Never usee the default instance) 2. Install MDAC 2.8 3. Install .Net Framework 1.1 4. SOMEHOW GET RID OF .NET Framework and get VS.NET and IIS 5.x to work w...

upgrade from 1.1.9 to 1.1.11
Is it really necessary to un-install SeaMonkey 1.1.9 prior to installing SeaMonkey 1.1.11 in the same folder ? I'd like the final word on this. Thanks muchly. Trefor Trefor wrote: > Is it really necessary to un-install SeaMonkey 1.1.9 prior to installing > SeaMonkey 1.1.11 in the same folder ? I'd like the final word on this. > Thanks muchly. > Trefor I don't know if this is the "final word" but I didn't uninstall first and haven't had a problem. Trefor replied On 7/26/2008 12:20 AM > Is it really necessary to un-instal...

If somebody could tell me what should be the problem. I installed Mozilla 1.7 under Mandrake Linux 9.1. But there are no icons installed into my KDE automaticly. Mozulla 1.7 installation problem
If somebody could tell me what should be the problem. I installed Mozilla 1.7 under Mandrake Linux 9.1. But there are no icons installed into my KDE automaticly. What should be the problem? ...

Help! Installing Seamonkey 1.0.1 messed up system
Something went horribly wrong when I tried to install Seamonkey 1.0.1. First, Seamonkey was missing menu and menu item labels and displayed a partial error message in red at the very bottom of the window (_below_ the row containing the status area, the on-line/off-line indicator, etc.). The message says: <broadcaster id="Communicator:Workmode" --^ The really bad part is that is messed up something on my machine (Windows XP)--when I uninstalled Seamonkey 1.0.1 and tried installing Seamonkey 1.0 and then Mozilla Suite 1.7.12, I get the same symptoms. I also...

Seamonkey install 1.1.11 help
After installing 1.1.11 and going to the SeaMonkey homepage I get the following greeting. "Thanks for visiting this SeaMonkey start page, even though it appears to us that you are not using SeaMonkey yet." Any ideas on how to cure this little problem???? Thanks in advance for any ideas. taz043 wrote: > After installing 1.1.11 and going to the SeaMonkey homepage I get the > following greeting. > > "Thanks for visiting this SeaMonkey start page, even though it > appears to us that you are not using SeaMonkey yet." >...

Install 1.0 and 1.1 side-by-side and use the 1.1 csc to compile a 1.0
Hi, I have the following (tricky) questions: 1. Can I install the 1.0 and 1.1 .NET Framework side-by-side with NO drawbacks on MY PC where I develop the .NET applications? (I do NOT use VS.NET) 2. After installing the 1.1 version, am I STILL ABLE to compile a 1.0 version, since our production web-server still runs on 1.0 (our development web-server was upgraded to 1.1) ?? thx Eau .... as long as you compile DLLs with the right csc.exe/vbc.exe from 1.0 or 1.1 Free ASP.NET Version Switcher may interest you.DNN skins ForumTressleworks modulesDNN & webhostingIEWCtrls...

superreview requested: [Bug 283181] installer version text needs to be upgraded from 1.0 to 1.0.1 : [Attachment 175188] Bump version in installers to 1.0.1/1.7.6
Chase Phillips <cmp@mozilla.org> has asked Ben Goodger <bugs@bengoodger.com> for superreview: Bug 283181: installer version text needs to be upgraded from 1.0 to 1.0.1 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283181 Attachment 175188: Bump version in installers to 1.0.1/1.7.6 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=175188&action=edit ...

superreview granted: [Bug 283181] installer version text needs to be upgraded from 1.0 to 1.0.1 : [Attachment 175188] Bump version in installers to 1.0.1/1.7.6
Ben Goodger <bugs@bengoodger.com> has granted Chase Phillips <cmp@mozilla.org>'s request for superreview: Bug 283181: installer version text needs to be upgraded from 1.0 to 1.0.1 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283181 Attachment 175188: Bump version in installers to 1.0.1/1.7.6 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=175188&action=edit ...

End Of Life Notification for Open Client/C Dev. Kit 11.1.1 and Open Server 11.1.1
Subject: End Of Life Notification for Open Client/C Dev. Kit 11.1.1 and Open Server 11.1.1 November 13, 2001 Dear Valued Sybase Customer: This letter provides notification of an extension of a previously announced end of engineering support. The end of engineering support has been extended from December 31, 2001 to September 30, 2002 for the following versions of Sybase products. Product Version Platform End of Migration Path Engineering Support Open Client/C 11.1.1 ...

Can't install version 2.0 besides 1.1: dotnetfx.exe will only install 1.1
Hi,  I'm trying to install version 2.0 beside version 1.1 on a Win2000 server. First I download the correct version of dotnetfx.exe (for version 2.0), but when I run this, I'm asked if I want to install version 1.1 (which is already present). It does not help to uninstall 1.1 first, I'm still prompted to install 1.1, even if dotnetfx.exe is the one for version 2.0! Could this be due to any settings on the server?     RGDS a newbe...  Check carefully for every copy of DOTNETFX.COM on the machine (check every folder including system ones), and rename the...

How to install emacs 23.1 on Suse 11.1
Hello, Suse 11.1 comes with emacs 22.x installed. Does anybody know whether one can instrall emacs v. 23.1? And if yes, are there any special things that one should observe? Regards, bostjanv -- bostjanv ------------------------------------------------------------------------ When seachhing for software not in the allready available repos configured on the system, one should ue: 'Webpin' (http://packages.opensuse-community.org/) When I go there and fill in 'emacs' and check 11.1, I do get emacs 23.1 (among other versions). HTH -- Henk van ...

connecting to ASE 11.5.1.1 via open client 11.1.1
hi folks: i need help with an open client/server issue. our system administrator upgraded our development host to HP-UX 11 and now .. i'm having trouble connecting to ASE 11.5.1.1 via open client/server. we are using open client 11.1.1. this error was generated trying to run bcp against our development box from another host: CTLIB Message: - L5/O3/S5/N4/5/0: ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error: Net-Lib protocol driver call to connect two endpoints failed Establishing connection failed. attempts to connect from powerbuilder and dbartisan...

superreview granted: [Bug 283224] mail installer version text needs to be bumped from 1.0 to 1.0.1 : [Attachment 175211] Bump Tb Windows installer to version 1.0.1
Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> has granted Chase Phillips <cmp@mozilla.org>'s request for superreview: Bug 283224: mail installer version text needs to be bumped from 1.0 to 1.0.1 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283224 Attachment 175211: Bump Tb Windows installer to version 1.0.1 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=175211&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> thanks chase ...

superreview requested: [Bug 283224] mail installer version text needs to be bumped from 1.0 to 1.0.1 : [Attachment 175211] Bump Tb Windows installer to version 1.0.1
Chase Phillips <cmp@mozilla.org> has asked Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> for superreview: Bug 283224: mail installer version text needs to be bumped from 1.0 to 1.0.1 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283224 Attachment 175211: Bump Tb Windows installer to version 1.0.1 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=175211&action=edit ...

Version 1.1.1 Hosed on Install
Name: handily Email: handily1athotmaildotcom Product: SeaMonkey Summary: Version 1.1.1 Hosed on Install Comments: I tried to update to the latest ver 1.1.1. It did not install, kept getting 239 chrome error. Did an uninstall, looked up solution on mozilla.org for chrome error. Tried everything-nothing works. Did a system restore using xppro. Still nothing works, even the previous version. You had a perfectly good working program till this update. I do not believe you were ready to release it. How do I completely remove any and all references to SeaMonkey on my system? I wou...

Web resources about - Open Suse 11.1 - Fligthgear 1.9.1 - Source Code install - opensuse.org.help.install