Is 11.1 Installation Guide Identical For 11.2 ?

openSUSE Forums > New User How To/FAQ (read only)
is a treasure of information and external references.
It tells us how to get ready to install and how to
install openSUSE-11.1
Thanks from all of us slow learners to oldcpu for a
job well done.
Are there any significant changes to this material
which we'll need to know to prepare to install
openSUSE-11.2 ?

--
3bitsShortOfaByte

3bitsShortOfaByte
11/9/2009 7:06:01 AM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

3bitsShortOfaByte;2062213 Wrote:
> openSUSE Forums > New User How To/FAQ (read only)is a treasure of
> information and external references.  It tells us how to get ready to
> install and how to  install openSUSE-11.1
> Thanks from all of us slow learners to oldcpu for a job well done. Are
> there any significant changes to this material which we'll need to know
> to prepare to install openSUSE-11.2 ?

I've started updating the Installation stickie for 11.2, dividing it
into two parts (to make my work easier next time for 11.3, 12.0 ... etc
... ) :

- generic: 'NEW Users - openSuse Pre-install (general) – PLEASE
  READ - openSUSE Forums' (http://tinyurl.com/yhf65pv)
- 11.2 specific: 'NEW Users - Suse-11.2 Pre-installation –
  PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums' (http://tinyurl.com/ycly3eg)
  ... as you can see the 11.2 specific is still being populated, with old
11.1 links.

A big change (for some of us) in the installation is there is no longer
an option for the KDE3 desktop.

For more control over the installation, I still recommend users
deselect "Use Automatic Configuration", although if one has a VERY basic
PC setup on the hard drive, that is not necessary.

There is now an option (much easier than under 11.1) for installation
from USB key (although I find installation from DVD is quicker).

Note the recommendation for backups (not just data, but also selected
configuration files) when going from one openSUSE version to another:
http://forums.opensuse.org/2058895-post3.html

Possibly the biggest (and first) changes you may note is the default
file system format is now ext4 and not ext3.  Also, there is no longer
the need for an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for most users, and hence that
file will not be evident after an install.  I'm still trying to wrap my
head around what that means, in terms of dual head/clone operation with
an external projector (ie does it mean use of xrandr with openGL
drivers, and use of aticonfig for ATI proprietary graphic drivers)?

We are a support forum, not a developers forum, so we tend to lag a bit
in our advice when a new openSUSE version "hits the street".

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77

0
oldcpu

Inspiron 1000 install problem (11.1, 11.2, net install, dvd install)
Ok, I have a plain jane Inspiron 1000, 2ghz celeron, 256m ram, 40gig hd, dvd. I burned 11.2 to dvd, 11.1 to dvd, tried installing both. Both get the dreaded "cannot create repository" (i'm paraphrasing). No problem, I download and burn 11.1, 11.2 net install's, checksums check out ok. I go through the first part where it downloads stuff from download.opensuse.com (or something similiar), then it fails again, not able to install. I get no message on the net installs. Just fails real quick with a red box. I tried a text install, fails. What gives? --...

11.2 install failure but 11.1 to 11.2 upgrade (partial) success
Machine is basically an ASUS mother board with an AMD64 Athlon x2 processor and Nvidia hardware RAID discs mirroring each other. It has been used as a server for about four years under various incantations of openSUSE. After a major software corruption a couple of days ago, I decided to install 11.2 from an iso image downloaded, MD5 check-summed OK. The DVD was burnt on an iMac at the lowest speed (x8) and verified correctly. Installation proceeded as expected from partitioning to the installation of the GRUB loader - which failed - but only with a warning. Of course any attempt...

Can not compile xmms-1.2.11. Please, help me. (configure: error: *** GLIB >= 1.2.2 not installed
OpenSuse11.3 download src xmms-1.2.11 ./configure .... checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/i586-suse-linux/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes checking dynamic linker characteristics... cat: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf: No such file or directory GNU/Linux ld.so checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool checking pthread.h usability... yes checking pthread.h presence... yes checking for pthread.h... yes checking for glib-config... no checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.2... no *** The glib-conf...

Installed 11.1, got 11.2
This is more an annoyance and wanting to learn from my mistake that a "production problem" per se. 2 or 3 weeks ago I downloaded and burned the openSuSE 11.1 32 bit x86 iso. Last night I installed it; a fresh install on a machine that had formerly been running openSuSE 9.x or 10.x. During installation I cherry picked what apps & services I wanted... the machine is to be a firewall with minimal services running. I was surprised when the installation completed to see it's running 11.2, Milestone 4. I'm not a guru, but I've installed openSuSE on a number of ...

Install 11.1RC1 messed up 11.0 install -- help
I loaded opensuse 11.1 RC1 live CD last night to see how it worked. I got stuck configuring the network card. It seemed that the network switch was off and wouldn't turn on so that even though the firmware was installed I couldn't get past that issue. So I decided to go ahead and install a second copy of opensuse on the machine, so that I would be about to reconfigure and reboot. I have a copy of opensuse 11.0. I configured 2 new partitions 3.75GB for the root, 256MB for /var. I configured it to use the existing 1GB swap, the existing 1GB /temp, and the existing 1GB ...

can i move all device files from one 11.0.2 installation to another 11.0.2 installation with their server.cfg files ?
are there any problems n doing this ? ...

Error "Make sure that CD number 1 is in your drive." when installing Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4.
Hi sir, I had download the iso of Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 and confirmed with the MD5 code. Then, I burned them using the lowest speed which the system supported. But the error message "Make sure that CD number 1 is in your drive." is always displayed while installing OS. How can I do? Environment: CPU i7-2710QE. PCH: B1 stepping. Platform: Huron River based. RAM: 2Gx1 unbuffered none ECC RAM. Target OS: Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 for 32bit. Hdd: WD 160G SATA HDD using IDE mode by setting setup. DVD: Pioneer DVR-217BK. USB keyboard/mouse. Onboard VGA por...

Help with Grub booting 11.1 after installing 11.4
AMD 64bit OpenSuse 11.4 My installation on 11.4 went onto its own partition (s) - one for root fs and another for /home. I have encountered intermittent lockups of OpenSuse 11.4 and wish to use my old system as a backup until I can sort this out. Grub is only offering to boot the new system and Failsafe. My other installation does not appear in the menu. Any ideas on how to diagnose this ? I have several hard drives on the system with older versions of OpenSuse. The 11.1 release works ok and I would like to boot back into it. -- cabernet ----------------------------...

Installing fresh or upgrading Open Suse 11.1 to 11.2
Hello All, My question to the community is should I preform a fresh install of OpenSuSe 11.2 or upgrade my current version of OpenSuSe 11.1? As of current I just use my system to surf the web check, email and Basic Business needs. The specs of my Laptop are: OS INFORMATION OS: Linux 2.6.25.20-0.4-default i686 Current user: jraglin@Jada System: openSUSE 11.1 (i586) KDE: 3.5.9 "release 49.1" CPU INFORMATION Processor (CPU): AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 Speed: 2,000.00 MHz Cores: 2 MEMORY INFORMATION Total memory (RAM): 2.8 GB Free ...

11.1 to 11.2
Hi, I am wondering if I should install a new openSuse 11.2 or if I should make an Update-Installation from DVD ('see openSUSE 11.2 Installation Quick Start' (http://tinyurl.com/y9qphnl) Installation Mode: Select Mode - New Installation / Update / [...]) or an Update Installation via Yast. Now I am using openSuse 11.1 and Gnome 2.24.1 (mostly, 1 account is using KDE) and Kernel Linux 2.6.27.45-01.1-pae. "/home" is on an separated partition (as part of an extended partition). Contra new installation?: - I have an Laptop (Samsung x20) with integrated intel 91...

Help
I first tried this with the version 11.0 and then again with 11.1 with no difference. I boot from the liveCD, everything looks good and then the entire screen goes blank and stays blank. I suspect this happens when it attempts to switch to the graphical video mode. The quick hardware specs are: * New blank SATA HDD is installed. * I'm booting from the LiveCD * Dell Dimension 8400 with 4-Gigs RAM * Video card is a NVidia 9500GT with dual DVI outputs. This setup works perfect with WinXP-Pro and with Ubuntu 8.04. But with OpenSuse (and Fedora 10.0) it gets to a certain poin...

Seamonkey install 1.1.11 help
After installing 1.1.11 and going to the SeaMonkey homepage I get the following greeting. "Thanks for visiting this SeaMonkey start page, even though it appears to us that you are not using SeaMonkey yet." Any ideas on how to cure this little problem???? Thanks in advance for any ideas. taz043 wrote: > After installing 1.1.11 and going to the SeaMonkey homepage I get the > following greeting. > > "Thanks for visiting this SeaMonkey start page, even though it > appears to us that you are not using SeaMonkey yet." >...

Help Please, how do I reinstall gnome/ati drivers from install dvd on an installed 11.2 sys?
Deleted my ati drivers accidently during a botched upgrade. Have been trying to fix the problem from things I read on here, made a thread but can't get online to execute it.Found my install dvd tried running repair and in the process deleted my windows partition(anyway to get that back?) and still no previous ati drivers or gnome installed. So my question is how do I install ati drivers from the dvd and how do I install gnome or kde from install dvd? -- Marslightyear ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Marslightyear;2166924 Wro...

Upgrade Install From 11 to 11.1
It hasn't been long since I'm on version 11 (because it took long to fix some major issues I had with) and now that version 11.1 is out, I really don't want to do a full install. Good thing I noticed there is an 'upgrade' option on the install DVD. I'm not sure what will happen though, so I had a few questions. If you know the answer to any number of these, please reply: 1 - What's being upgraded? 2 - Will all the packages I have installed be upgraded? 3 - Is it a side-by-side install, keep the old and get the new? 4 - What about the ones I did NOT in...

Web resources about - Is 11.1 Installation Guide Identical For 11.2 ? - opensuse.org.help.install

Installation art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Installation art describes an artistic genre of three-dimensional works that are often site-specific and designed to transform the perception ...

Installation Magazine for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod ...
Get Installation Magazine on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Typical Solar Installation - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... This is a newly constructed home with near total solar covering. Hi Tim, I have published this nice picture by you, ofa home with solar installation, ...

Adobe pushes scareware with Flash Player installation - YouTube
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/adobes-latest-critical-security-update-pushes-scareware/4681 If you manually install the latest version of Flash ...

Telstra in dispute with customer over costly landline installation
Would you pay $5931.90 for the installation of a landline in a suburban area?