Installing SUSE 12.1 alongside SUSE 11.4

Hello,

I have a Dell Dimension C521 (AMD AthlonX2) with a 160 GB internal HDD
and and an external Hard Disk (Seagate GoFlex ITB capacity on USB) with
3 GB RAM. The system has dual boot for Windows Vista Home Premium and
SUSE 11.4 64 bit.

The internal HDD is dedicated to Windows Vista. The GRUB is installed
on the MBR of the external HDD. The booting order is DVD drive, external
HDD and then internal HDD.  If the external HDD is not switched/powered
on, the systems boots into Windows Vista directly.  I can then switch on
the external HDD and access the Windows partitions (first three primary)
on it.  Booting off the external HDD brings up the multi-boot options
for SUSE 11.4 (64 bit) regular and fail safe,  Vista normal, Dell
Utilities and Rescue.  SUSE is installed in the extended partition on
the external HDD.  I have loads of space in the extended partition.  All
stuff is working fine.  Thanks to  jdmcdaniel3, lenwolf, gogalthorp and
Knurpht who guided me through the installation of 11.4 on external HDD..

Now I wish to install SUSE 12.1 (64 bit) as an addition, that is
without losing the 11.4.  Where would it be best installed – (a) in
the existing partition for 11.4 or (b) in its own partition?  Also I do
not wish to rewrite the existing boot menu, only add the new
installation options to the existing, how do I go about it?  The basic
idea is that I should have one tried and tested version available.

Thanks

PrakashC

--
PrakashC

PrakashC
2/2/2012 7:36:02 AM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 07:36:02 +0000, PrakashC wrote:

> Now I wish to install SUSE 12.1 (64 bit) as an addition, that is without
> losing the 11.4.  Where would it be best installed – (a) in the existing
> partition for 11.4 or (b) in its own partition?

Absolutely in its own partition.  You couldn't install it into the
existing partition and have two working systems - there would be library
conflicts that would cause you loads of problems.

I would also recommend separate home directories for each install, as the
versions of GNOME and KDE are different and while you may get the newer
versions to work with the older settings (indeed that would be normal for
an upgrade installation), the older versions may not understand all of
the new settings.

You might do better to play with 12.1 in a VirtualBox VM (though if you
run GNOME3, you'll get fallback mode only) and then decide which version
you want to stick with for the time being.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator

As long as I think it is usefull to have access to the "other" sysem's
files, I put them in -/etc/fstab- to mount them read-only on
-/mnt/oldsys- and -/mnt/oldsys/home- (or similar).

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180

0
hcvv
2/2/2012 10:36:02 AM
I had a close look at "SDB: Install another distribution".  This in turn
took me to "Making a Dedicated Grub Partition" at Troubleshooters.com.
From what I gather, it would be preferable to make a dedicated Grub
Partition.  The following points need confirmation or further
elucidation, study:

a) The Dedicated Grub Partition must be a primary partition, or could
it be a logical partition, (as mentioned earlier I intend to install it
on the external HDD)
b) The version of grub to use for (a) above, should it be Grub 2 or
Legacy Grub,
c) The updategrub for openSUSE  would be used to add new distributions
or alter existing ones,
d) Any new OS added should not be writing anything to Grub or MBR
during installation,  how to ensure this particularly in openSUSE.

Any pointers please.

PrakashC

--
PrakashC
PrakashC's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=36238
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471969

0
PrakashC
2/5/2012 7:16:03 AM
As both openSUSE levels you want to have installed use Legacy GRUB, all
the precautions you mention here are not applicable.

a) I do not kno what a "Dedicated Grub Partition is", that may have to
to with the fact that I did not study Grub 2, which is not used in
openSUSE.
When a partition "must be a primary partition, or could be a logical
partition":, that is a useless remark, as there are no more tastes of
partion that are excluded for this usage then. This means IMHO you
probably do not understan much about partitions, thus read: 'SDB:Basics
of partitions, filesystems, mount points - openSUSE'
(http://tinyurl.com/3rucjns) .
Also the fact that a disk is inside or outside the physical box of your
system does not make it special. It's partitioning is certainly not
influenced by that.

b) There is only Legacy Grub for openSUSE.

c) updategrub is not used for Legacy Grub.

d) Installing openSUSE 12.1 on partitions alongside openSUSE 11.4 on
other partitions will detect that openSUSE 11.4 and it will make you an
offer in how to handle that short before it realy starts installeing.
This is in the list of all other things it offers you for inspection
like partitioning it will change, file systems it will recreate,
software packages it will load, etc. You decide there if you like the
proposals or not. You can change there or abort the install. That is the
last moment you can do this and leave your existing environment
untouched. You should understand all things there. If you are in doubt,
please abort, write down what it proposes and why you hesutate and here
first

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471969

0
hcvv
2/5/2012 9:26:03 AM
PrakashC;2437488 Wrote:

> a) The Dedicated Grub Partition must be a primary partition, or could
> it be a logical partition, (as mentioned earlier I intend to install it
> on the external HDD)

What do you mean by "Dedicated Grub Partition"? Grub has two parts:
stage1 and stage2. Legacy Grub stage1 can be installed in any
bootsector, the first sector of any partition (VBR),   including the
extended partition which contains no data, or/and the first sector of
the disk, knows as the MBR (Master Boot Record). stage2 is installed in
the /boot/grub directory, which can be in any partition, primary or
logical. If you install stage1 in MBR, Grub will also install and use
stage 1.5 in the sectors directly following the MBR, on the first track.
Having Grub in MBR is always better, because it can access the
filesystem at a earlier stage.

PrakashC;2437488 Wrote:

> b) The version of grub to use for (a) above, should it be Grub 2 or
> Legacy Grub,

It "should" be Legacy Grub, but it doesn't have to. However only Legacy
Grub is supported by YaST and later by the Perl BootLoader (which
rewrites the menu after a kernel update). To easily install Grub2 under
openSUSE, you can use updateGrub2, which is included in the updategrub
package. But I don't recommend to do it if you don't know what you are
doing, especially because Grub2 is not supported by the system. You will
be on your own. updateGrub2 can be used however to refresh the menu -
since the Perl Bootloader won't.

PrakashC;2437488 Wrote:

> c) The updategrub for openSUSE  would be used to add new distributions
> or alter existing ones,

It could... with 2 limitations though:

- The Perl Bootloader blindly and arbitrarly removes any foreign
  kernel boot entry (but not chainload entries!) , whether they were
  added manually or by updategrub. It's possible to prevent that by
  hacking the Perl Bootloader scripts or even disabling it completely
  (by setting  LOADER_TYPE="none" in /etc/sysconfig/bootloader. but
  please DON'T).  The solution is to delete all but the native entries
  in menu.lst after a kernel update (it doesn't happen that often) and
  run updategrub again.
- Sometimes updategrub doesn't add some of the other OSes, because
  os-prober doesn't detect them. The solution is to mount the partition
  where the other kernel is located. This is an os-prober issue, not
  updategrub's fault. There is no logic in this behaviour. It might find
  an OS one time an not the next time on the same machine.

http://tinyurl.com/6t6l98t

--
please_try_again
please_try_again's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10877
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471969

0
please
2/5/2012 12:16:03 PM
hcvv;2437512 Wrote:

> c) updategrub is not used for Legacy Grub.

On the contray, -updategrub- is only used for Legacy Grub. The Ubuntu's
script is called -update*-*grub-: http://tinyurl.com/3zrjq5g

--
please_try_again
please_try_again's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10877
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471969

0
please
2/5/2012 12:26:02 PM
On 2012-02-05 13:16, please try again wrote:

> What do you mean by "Dedicated Grub Partition"? Grub has two parts:

There is a method for multibooting, where you create a /boot partition with
grub and nothing more, or at most, a really small Linux system, for
emergencies. It doesn't matter if it boots from grub code in mbr or generic
code. The trick is that the menu.lst file is used to "chainload" (the
correct word is not chainload, but I don't remember the correct word) other
grub menus on other partitions, ie, to choose which operating system you
want to boot, not to choose a kernel.

This is a meaning of "dedicated grub partition". I don't know if this is
what he means.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
2/5/2012 5:38:06 PM
This is all nice digging in all sorts of details of more or less obscure
regions wich do not have much to do which the OP's original question:
can I have openSUSE 12.1 installed alongside openSUSE 11.4 and Windows.
The ansswer is a simply: yes, and does not need things like extra
boot/grub/whatever partitions outside the partitions needed for the
different OSs. And it also does not involve the need to use Grub 2. This
is all making it much more difficult and ununderstandable.

@PrakashC, it is not very usefull when you study documentation about "
Install *another* distribution" when you only want install the *same*
distribution, namely openSUSE (only a different level).

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471969

0
hcvv
2/5/2012 8:46:02 PM
Thanks hcvv,
I was thinking too far ahead!  I would be better off sticking to basic
present needs and take up advanced steps when I reach the level.

PrakashC

--
PrakashC
PrakashC's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=36238
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471969

0
PrakashC
2/6/2012 2:46:02 PM
Well finally got 12.1 up and running after a couple of false starts.
Also got the NVDIA driver in place.  My main worry was that the existing
Windows Vista and SUSE 11.4 installations should not get damaged by some
seemingly small oversight!

PrakashC

--
PrakashC
PrakashC's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=36238
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471969

0
PrakashC

Help
hello, im having an ASUS K501N series laptop that has a G102M GeForce NVIDIA graphic card.Im having a dual boot with windows XP and OpenSUSE 11.1.i have already installed the graphic driver to windows but dont really Know how to installed it in SUSE 11.1..so i came up to this forum topic and did as what was told: > Start the Software installer and make sure you have the pattern 'Linux > Kernel Development' installed. > > Open a terminal window and issue following commands: > > mkdir NVIDIA-driver > cd NVIDIA-driver > wget ftp://download.nvidia...

Error "Make sure that CD number 1 is in your drive." when installing Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4.
Hi sir, I had download the iso of Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 and confirmed with the MD5 code. Then, I burned them using the lowest speed which the system supported. But the error message "Make sure that CD number 1 is in your drive." is always displayed while installing OS. How can I do? Environment: CPU i7-2710QE. PCH: B1 stepping. Platform: Huron River based. RAM: 2Gx1 unbuffered none ECC RAM. Target OS: Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 for 32bit. Hdd: WD 160G SATA HDD using IDE mode by setting setup. DVD: Pioneer DVR-217BK. USB keyboard/mouse. Onboard VGA por...

Installed SMILE from 1-click install(Suse 11.0)
Upon running the program, A window pops up that claims I have a dependency issue. It claims that "Mencoder" is not installed?? I checked my computer, and Mencoder is installed in /usr/bin. I even ran mencoder from the command line with no problems. Smart package manager, and yast both do not show it as installed. I am gussing that it was part of the mplayer package. What to do?? -- Doug08 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Try to re-install smile: sudo rpm -Uvh smilexxxxxxx.rpm If this doesnt help: regarding deps, ...

Suse 11.1 install help please
I'm having some trouble installing opensuse 11.1. I'm running vista 32bit and ubuntu 9.04, and I'm trying to add opensuse 11.1. When I boot from CD and I run the installer - on text mode because the other resolution modes were giving me issues - it works fine until it gets to this part where it asks me for a linux account and password. I have no idea what this is, and whatever I type is incorrect. I've read on other forums that it's asking for the root account and password. I'm not sure why, this is a fresh install, and I have not had any prompt ask me to crea...

installed Suse 11.4 but my ubuntu installation wont show up on bootloader
Hi, Basically, I had windows7 (sda1) and Ubuntu (sda2) dual booting on my laptop. I found I wasnt using windows at all, so decided to install the best KDE distro (Suse 11.4) on that partition (sda1) instead of Windows. So, I install Suse and all is good, however, I dont get the option to boot into Ubuntu on the bootloader. How do I get that option back? thanks ives -- ives31 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hmmm ... If you don't mind being a beta tester, you can try *updategrub* (for Legacy Grub) : install: Co...

installed suse 11.4 Suse opens Windows 7 will not.
Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976 Installed Suse Windows will not. Suse has 2 options to open the reg and the secure. There is a windows 1 and a Windows 2. I used Windows 1. It went to my Toshiba screen attempted to load then died and went to Linux which would be fine if I was ready to be in Linux. Went to Windows 2 same and failed. Then I got an option to open windows through its safety config. choose safe with network connection. Failed. Back to linux. Have other computers in the house but none with windows 7 can access net. Thanks -- malinourn -----------------------...

Error while installing thro 1 click installation n suse 11.0
Hi friends, i am having some problem when i am using "1 clik install" option to install software on my suse desktop. after authentication and all in between downloading it giving error message and that error message is "Software installation" The installation has failed. For more information, see the log file at /var/log/YaST2/y2log. Failure stage was: Installing Packages "Error Message" An error occurred while attempting to install the specified packages. Review the yast2 logs for more information. friends help me out of this situation. i am us...

install suse alongside an existing install
i have a backtrack install that i would like to keep while installing suse for an everyday OS; i start the install process but when it gets to partitioning the hard drive, it doesnt seem to recognize anything already being on there; it just gives me the setup for suse, ie: sda1 ext3 = OS sda2 or sda5 = swap do i have to configure a partition scheme? i installed ubuntu on a desktop alongside windows very easily due to grub graphical install/partition; is there not a similar function for suse? -- bboyreason -------------------------------------------------------------------...

Amarok installation problems (KDE 4.2, SUSE 11.1)
I updated today to KDE 4.2 from KDE 3.5.10 on openSUSE 11.1. Tried to install Amarok for KDE 4, but ran into some problems. Can anyone explain to me why I receive the error message below, and what I should do about it? What does "deleted providers" and "uninstallable providers" mean? Cheers, homoludens Code: -------------------- kdebase4-workspace-4.2.0-184.8.i586 requires kdebase4-runtime >= 4.2.0, but this requirement cannot be provided deleted providers: kdebase4-runtime-4.2.0-75.3.i586[@System] uninstallable providers: kdebase4-runtime-...

Need help installing Firefox8 on Suse 11.4 Pilot te
I volunteered to contribute testing *Firefox8 Aurora*, they sent me this link https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/ Unfortunately I'm stuck... I have problems installing the trz.bz2 file. I followed instructions given here 'How to install Firefox 8 on Linux (Mint, Ubuntu, ...) | libre-software.net' (http://tinyurl.com/3q2tabs) I am using opensuse 11.4 ... i get stuck on step# 3 MOVE TO /OPT. _-Can_someone_please_help_?-_ -- crtoloss ------------------------------------------------------------------------ If you are using openSUSE 11.4 do the foll...

Open Suse 11.1 - Fligthgear 1.9.1
Hello All, I am busy installing FlightGear completely "from sourcecode" by manually downloading all tar-balls. I've untarred all packages in their own directories like: /root/download/flightgear/flightgear_program/FlightGear-1.9.1 /root/download/flightgear/Simgear/Simgear-1.9.1/.. /root/download/flightgear/openscenegraph/OpenSceneGraph/.. /root/download/flightgear/.. I did all the installation commands like (- ./autoconfig.sh) - ./configure *without any prefixes or options!* - make (- make test) - make install *Current Status:* Finished all the making, buildi...

How to install emacs 23.1 on Suse 11.1
Hello, Suse 11.1 comes with emacs 22.x installed. Does anybody know whether one can instrall emacs v. 23.1? And if yes, are there any special things that one should observe? Regards, bostjanv -- bostjanv ------------------------------------------------------------------------ When seachhing for software not in the allready available repos configured on the system, one should ue: 'Webpin' (http://packages.opensuse-community.org/) When I go there and fill in 'emacs' and check 11.1, I do get emacs 23.1 (among other versions). HTH -- Henk van ...

Help! Installing Seamonkey 1.0.1 messed up system
Something went horribly wrong when I tried to install Seamonkey 1.0.1. First, Seamonkey was missing menu and menu item labels and displayed a partial error message in red at the very bottom of the window (_below_ the row containing the status area, the on-line/off-line indicator, etc.). The message says: <broadcaster id="Communicator:Workmode" --^ The really bad part is that is messed up something on my machine (Windows XP)--when I uninstalled Seamonkey 1.0.1 and tried installing Seamonkey 1.0 and then Mozilla Suite 1.7.12, I get the same symptoms. I also...

Dell XPS M1210, extremely unresponsive and slow installation; 11.4 -12.1; Help
I have been trying to Install either Opensuse 11.4 or 12.1 on my Dell XPS M1210 for the past three days but to no avail. Firstly It seems as if the installation proceeds very slowly from the start. The installer seems to get stuck quite a lot at various stages. After selecting the type of installation whether live or dvd the system appears to take a huge amount of time to get to the install screen where initially is nearly impossible to use cursor or trackpad. After several minutes but always in a slow manner the installer starts performing actions but always very slowly. In the la...

Web resources about - Installing SUSE 12.1 alongside SUSE 11.4 - opensuse.org.help.install

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper