Installing fresh or upgrading Open Suse 11.1 to 11.2

Hello All,

My question to the community is should I preform a fresh install of
OpenSuSe 11.2 or upgrade my current version of OpenSuSe 11.1?

As of current I just use my system to surf the web check, email and
Basic Business needs.

The specs of my Laptop are:

OS INFORMATION
OS:  Linux 2.6.25.20-0.4-default i686
Current user:  jraglin@Jada
System:  openSUSE 11.1 (i586)
KDE:  3.5.9 "release 49.1"

CPU INFORMATION
Processor (CPU): AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
Speed: 2,000.00 MHz
Cores: 2

MEMORY INFORMATION
Total memory (RAM):  2.8 GB
Free memory:  1.3 GB (+ 1.1 GB Caches)
Free swap:  2.0 GB

OS INFORMATION
OS:  Linux 2.6.25.20-0.4-default i686
Current user:  jraglin@Jada
System:  openSUSE 11.1 (i586)
KDE:  3.5.9 "release 49.1

*
Disk Information*
Device
Filesystem
Total space
Available space
SU1100.001  iso9660  4.3 GB  0.0 KB
4.3 GB
96G Media  ext3  88.4 GB  77.6 GB
10.7 GB
21G Media  ext3  19.7 GB  14.1 GB
5.6 GB

--
jraglin

jraglin
2/24/2010 11:06:01 PM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

IMO do a fresh install the small amount of time need to reset things as
you want is much less then the time you will spend running down bugs
caused by dross left by the previous version. If you use KDE rename the
~/.kde4 directory before you upgrade.

--
gogalthorp
gogalthorp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37208

0
gogalthorp
2/25/2010 12:56:01 AM
I also prefer a fresh install.
If you are confident with using parted magic or similar,and can make
space on your hard disc,installing 11.2 alongside 11.1 allows you to
boot to either until you get 11.2 as you like it,and then you can delete
your 11.1 partitions and move and resize your 11.2 partitions to use the
remaining space.It can be simpler than having to immediately deal with
some changes that can occur between OS versions,you can take your time.

--
dvhenry
dvhenry's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37839
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433881

0
dvhenry
2/25/2010 6:56:01 AM
Sounds like you're using nothing beyond the apps included as default in
the distro, in which case a fresh install is indeed best (assuming you
have a separate /home partition for your data, or /home securely backed
up). The issue gets more complicated when a lot of additional software
is involved: in that case, the best option sometimes is not to update
the distro at all but to selectively update bits of it.
What I do is to do a fresh install of the new version to another HD,
and keep the old one. Then I gradually shift my work to the new one over
a couple of months or so, reinstalling the latest versions of
non-standard apps and their configs, and copying over the data.
Your case looks straightforward though: backup your /home and do a
fresh install!

--
G�nter
gminnerup's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=17489
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433881

0
gminnerup
2/25/2010 1:06:01 PM
gogalthorp wrote:

> IMO do a fresh install the small amount of time need to reset things as
> you want is much less then the time you will spend running down bugs
> caused by dross left by the previous version. If you use KDE rename the
> ~/.kde4 directory before you upgrade.

I certainly endorse your conclusion!  I've tried both ways and the grief
caused by conflicts is horrible! I was trying the upgrade route to avoid
re-installing and reconfiguring a DB2 server and databases but the update
route was even more time-consuming.

If the major impact of a version update is a series of basically incremental
updates or version changes it might be worth a try but throwing significant
kernel changes in with a total structural change (KDE3 -> KDE4) is a
disaster here.  Save yourself the grief and install clean!

--
Will Honea
0

--
gogalthorp
gogalthorp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37208
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433881

0
gogalthorp
2/26/2010 1:26:01 AM
However, I do not think it's a must to delete ~/.kde4. What for?

--
gropiuskalle
gropiuskalle's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=731
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433881

0
gropiuskalle
2/26/2010 1:36:02 AM
Well from 11.1 to 11.2 maybe not a must. And I don't recommend deleting
.kde4 just renaming it. It really depends on how complicated a desktop
you had before. My feeling is it is a new OS set things up again. It is
not worth the headache of running down strange problems that most likely
come from some oddball set up in the previous OS. Besides you have been
looking at the same screens for a long time it is really nice to see
something else. rotfl!

Out with the old in with the new is my motto. :P

--
gogalthorp
gogalthorp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37208
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433881

0
gogalthorp
2/26/2010 1:46:01 AM
Oops, very true, you advised renaming, not removing, and that's quite a
difference. Sorry for that.

Okay, I understand this and don't want to flame against the approach of
starting from scratch, but still I think we shouldn't advise someone to
move tons of configuration files without knowing wether problems will
occur at all, you see? I am using the same /home since SuSE 10.0 and if
ever, I only had to remove certain files in ~/.kde4 to solve problems,
so I think such a recommendation should not be handed out in such an
indiscriminate way.

I agree, though, that installing the system itself from scratch is more
hassle free for most users.

--
gropiuskalle
gropiuskalle's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=731
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433881

0
gropiuskalle
2/26/2010 1:56:01 AM
gogalthorp wrote:

> A good idea is to keep important data/databases off the root partition.
> Then a fresh install is just a matter of mounting the data areas,
> installing the required programs and pointing them to the data areas.
> Much much easier then tracking down bugs caused buy old configuration
> files.Of course you should always backup first just in case.

Agreed and that's the default case for my users and the data files - but DB2
wants to install the program to /opt as the obvious design is to allow
multi-user access.  That means a re-install/configuration of the server
program.  Not too bad until you get into the hassle of re-creating all the
comm and config stuff then figuring out how to re-attach the saved database
files.  In fact, if I have to reinstall it, I always use the obligatory
backup and restore the data from that.  But the server config stuff is
still a PITA!

I've got 3-4 apps that have the same issue so I like the update IF (really
big IF) it works right.  That's why I keep a cut down copy of the system on
another drive and test there first for version upgrades.

--
Will Honea
0

I plan to do a clean install of / and keep the old /home.

The laptop is currently running openSUSE-11.1 KDE-4.3.4 (in a dual boot
with winXP) and I plan to update to 11.2 with KDE-4.3.1 (a temporary
step back).  I say going back from 4.3.4 to 4.3.1 as I do not anticipate
doing an 11.2 update as part of the install (and hence will not install
4.3.5 just yet).   This not doing an update during the install is
because I'm not sure I'll have Internet access during the install (as no
wired available and I don't want to do a 350 MB download via wireless)
so hopefully going back from KDE-4.3.4 to 4.3.1 will not cause a
problem.

I do plan to setup the proprietary ATI graphic driver on this laptop
during the Users Group Meeting (after a hopefully successful install).
I tested the latest ATI proprietary driver with an 11.2 liveCD, so I am
reasonably confident it will work during the Users Group Meeting, and
hopefully it will not be too embarrassing.  :)

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433881

0
oldcpu
2/26/2010 12:56:01 PM
Advantage of new install (vs upgrade):
- Clean file system, clean system
- Problems are new and not because of residual stuff
- Opportunity to cleanup, (re)learn options, features of
system and apps.

Disadvantage of new install (vs update):
- Time to reconfigure and make sure all apps you want are
installed.
- Time to backup and restore data
- May need additional disk space

I did a fresh install from 10.3 to 11.2 from old hardware to new
hardware.

--
opensuseforumorg42
opensuseforumorg42's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=16200
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433881

0
opensuseforumorg42
2/26/2010 4:06:02 PM
On 02/26/2010 10:06 AM, opensuseforumorg42 wrote:

> Advantage of new install (vs upgrade):
> - Clean file system, clean system
> - Problems are new and not because of residual stuff
> - Opportunity to cleanup, (re)learn options, features of
> system and apps.
>
> Disadvantage of new install (vs update):
> - Time to reconfigure and make sure all apps you want are
> installed.
> - Time to backup and restore data
> - May need additional disk space
>
> I did a fresh install from 10.3 to 11.2 from old hardware to new
> hardware.

I recommend searching for then archiving all of your configuration files
before you start your upgrade or clean install.

Something like:

find /boot/ /etc/ /home/ \( -type f -a -iname ".*" \) -o -iname "*.conf"
-o  -iname "*.old" -o -iname "hosts*" -o -iname "sudoers"  \
  -o -iname "*fstab*" -o -iname  "*.cf" -o -iname "*.cnf" -o -iname
"*,v" -o -iname "crontabl*" -o -iname "*iptables.*" -o -iname
"SuSEfirewall*" \
  -o -iname "*.ans" -o -iname "*rc" -type f | sort -dubi >
/tmp/tar_conf_files.txt

tar -zcvf archiveconf.yyyymmmdd.tgz   -T /tmp/tar_conf_files.txt

Then you can either restore a .conf from the archive or for comparison,
especially some not .conf  like *.cf, *.cnf, hosts

0
noi
2/26/2010 4:26:54 PM
I want to thank everyone for their input, advise and knowledgeable
suggestions. I will start a fresh install

--
jraglin
jraglin's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=16634
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433881

0
jraglin
2/26/2010 5:26:02 PM
I want to thank everyone for their great advise.

I preformed a fresh install like instructed. I have no problems as of
yet.

My Data is still intact

The new look took some time, but I'm getting the hang of it.

--
jraglin
jraglin's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=16634
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433881

0
jraglin
3/12/2010 6:56:02 PM
noi;2127374 Wrote:
> On 02/26/2010 10:06 AM, opensuseforumorg42 wrote:
> >
> > Advantage of new install (vs upgrade):
> > - Clean file system, clean system
> > - Problems are new and not because of residual stuff
> > - Opportunity to cleanup, (re)learn options, features of
> > system and apps.
> >
> > Disadvantage of new install (vs update):
> > - Time to reconfigure and make sure all apps you want are
> > installed.
> > - Time to backup and restore data
> > - May need additional disk space
> >
> > I did a fresh install from 10.3 to 11.2 from old hardware to new
> > hardware.
> >

> I recommend searching for then archiving all of your configuration
> files
> before you start your upgrade or clean install.
>
> Something like:
>
> find /boot/ /etc/ /home/ \( -type f -a -iname ".*" \) -o -iname
> "*.conf"
> -o  -iname "*.old" -o -iname "hosts*" -o -iname "sudoers"  \
> -o -iname "*fstab*" -o -iname  "*.cf" -o -iname "*.cnf" -o -iname
> "*,v" -o -iname "crontabl*" -o -iname "*iptables.*" -o -iname
> "SuSEfirewall*" \
> -o -iname "*.ans" -o -iname "*rc" -type f | sort -dubi >
> /tmp/tar_conf_files.txt
>
> tar -zcvf archiveconf.yyyymmmdd.tgz   -T /tmp/tar_conf_files.txt
>
> Then you can either restore a .conf from the archive or for comparison,
> especially some not .conf  like *.cf, *.cnf, hosts

now, that! is one scary strings rotfl!

--
tenkoji
tenkoji's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43314
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433881

0
tenkoji

11.2 install failure but 11.1 to 11.2 upgrade (partial) success
Machine is basically an ASUS mother board with an AMD64 Athlon x2 processor and Nvidia hardware RAID discs mirroring each other. It has been used as a server for about four years under various incantations of openSUSE. After a major software corruption a couple of days ago, I decided to install 11.2 from an iso image downloaded, MD5 check-summed OK. The DVD was burnt on an iMac at the lowest speed (x8) and verified correctly. Installation proceeded as expected from partitioning to the installation of the GRUB loader - which failed - but only with a warning. Of course any attempt...

Error "Make sure that CD number 1 is in your drive." when installing Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4.
Hi sir, I had download the iso of Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 and confirmed with the MD5 code. Then, I burned them using the lowest speed which the system supported. But the error message "Make sure that CD number 1 is in your drive." is always displayed while installing OS. How can I do? Environment: CPU i7-2710QE. PCH: B1 stepping. Platform: Huron River based. RAM: 2Gx1 unbuffered none ECC RAM. Target OS: Open SUSE 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 for 32bit. Hdd: WD 160G SATA HDD using IDE mode by setting setup. DVD: Pioneer DVR-217BK. USB keyboard/mouse. Onboard VGA por...

Inspiron 1000 install problem (11.1, 11.2, net install, dvd install)
Ok, I have a plain jane Inspiron 1000, 2ghz celeron, 256m ram, 40gig hd, dvd. I burned 11.2 to dvd, 11.1 to dvd, tried installing both. Both get the dreaded "cannot create repository" (i'm paraphrasing). No problem, I download and burn 11.1, 11.2 net install's, checksums check out ok. I go through the first part where it downloads stuff from download.opensuse.com (or something similiar), then it fails again, not able to install. I get no message on the net installs. Just fails real quick with a red box. I tried a text install, fails. What gives? --...

Can not compile xmms-1.2.11. Please, help me. (configure: error: *** GLIB >= 1.2.2 not installed
OpenSuse11.3 download src xmms-1.2.11 ./configure .... checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/i586-suse-linux/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes checking dynamic linker characteristics... cat: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf: No such file or directory GNU/Linux ld.so checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool checking pthread.h usability... yes checking pthread.h presence... yes checking for pthread.h... yes checking for glib-config... no checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.2... no *** The glib-conf...

Upgrade Install From 11 to 11.1
It hasn't been long since I'm on version 11 (because it took long to fix some major issues I had with) and now that version 11.1 is out, I really don't want to do a full install. Good thing I noticed there is an 'upgrade' option on the install DVD. I'm not sure what will happen though, so I had a few questions. If you know the answer to any number of these, please reply: 1 - What's being upgraded? 2 - Will all the packages I have installed be upgraded? 3 - Is it a side-by-side install, keep the old and get the new? 4 - What about the ones I did NOT in...

Open Suse 11.1 - Fligthgear 1.9.1
Hello All, I am busy installing FlightGear completely "from sourcecode" by manually downloading all tar-balls. I've untarred all packages in their own directories like: /root/download/flightgear/flightgear_program/FlightGear-1.9.1 /root/download/flightgear/Simgear/Simgear-1.9.1/.. /root/download/flightgear/openscenegraph/OpenSceneGraph/.. /root/download/flightgear/.. I did all the installation commands like (- ./autoconfig.sh) - ./configure *without any prefixes or options!* - make (- make test) - make install *Current Status:* Finished all the making, buildi...

Installed 11.1, got 11.2
This is more an annoyance and wanting to learn from my mistake that a "production problem" per se. 2 or 3 weeks ago I downloaded and burned the openSuSE 11.1 32 bit x86 iso. Last night I installed it; a fresh install on a machine that had formerly been running openSuSE 9.x or 10.x. During installation I cherry picked what apps & services I wanted... the machine is to be a firewall with minimal services running. I was surprised when the installation completed to see it's running 11.2, Milestone 4. I'm not a guru, but I've installed openSuSE on a number of ...

Install 11.1RC1 messed up 11.0 install -- help
I loaded opensuse 11.1 RC1 live CD last night to see how it worked. I got stuck configuring the network card. It seemed that the network switch was off and wouldn't turn on so that even though the firmware was installed I couldn't get past that issue. So I decided to go ahead and install a second copy of opensuse on the machine, so that I would be about to reconfigure and reboot. I have a copy of opensuse 11.0. I configured 2 new partitions 3.75GB for the root, 256MB for /var. I configured it to use the existing 1GB swap, the existing 1GB /temp, and the existing 1GB ...

Is 11.1 Installation Guide Identical For 11.2 ?
openSUSE Forums > New User How To/FAQ (read only) is a treasure of information and external references. It tells us how to get ready to install and how to install openSUSE-11.1 Thanks from all of us slow learners to oldcpu for a job well done. Are there any significant changes to this material which we'll need to know to prepare to install openSUSE-11.2 ? -- 3bitsShortOfaByte ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 3bitsShortOfaByte;2062213 Wrote: > openSUSE Forums > New User How To/FAQ (read only)is a treasure of > ...

SuSe 11.1 Installation #2
Hi all, at the configuration step of the installation SuSe offers the option to install packages from images. You can disable or enable it. But what is the difference between these options? Thanks. -- RomaHagen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

can i move all device files from one 11.0.2 installation to another 11.0.2 installation with their server.cfg files ?
are there any problems n doing this ? ...

Compiling GTK+ 1.2 on suse 11.3 x64 in order to install xmms 1
I Currently have the problem of not being able to install xmms on suse 11.3, apparently since there's no way to install it from the packman repos because xmms claims it's missing glib 1.22 -oh yeah that one. But since it worked like a charm on 11.2 i'm just wondering if the glib, gtk, and gdk rpms will be present in the future or have i just missed something. I've tried to compile gtk 1.2 and above on 11.3 but since it is a 64bit system it do not comply with my request. Output from glib-1.2.2 and 1.2.10 Code: -------------------- checking host system type....

Installed SMILE from 1-click install(Suse 11.0)
Upon running the program, A window pops up that claims I have a dependency issue. It claims that "Mencoder" is not installed?? I checked my computer, and Mencoder is installed in /usr/bin. I even ran mencoder from the command line with no problems. Smart package manager, and yast both do not show it as installed. I am gussing that it was part of the mplayer package. What to do?? -- Doug08 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Try to re-install smile: sudo rpm -Uvh smilexxxxxxx.rpm If this doesnt help: regarding deps, ...

Fresh install amd64 11.1 does not starts graphical installer
After booting kernel and starting installation of amd64 11.1 yast says that I'll have "less than 96Mb memory or X server could not be started". System is HP DL160G35 with 6Gb installed and Graphics ATI Rage XL 8 MB onboard. All previous version (10.2/10.3/11.0) installs without problem in graphical installer. At /var/log/Xorg.0.log I see following: (II) VESA(0): Total Memory: 26 64KB banks (1664kB) (II) VESA(0): Monitor[vesa]: Using hsync range of 31.00-48.00 kHz (II) VESA(0): Monitor[vesa]: Using vrefresh range of 50.00-60.00 Hz (WW) VESA(0): Unable to estimate vir...

Web resources about - Installing fresh or upgrading Open Suse 11.1 to 11.2 - opensuse.org.help.install

Solar panels are lifted into place.

The builder of a south-west Sydney unit block where a young woman plunged to her death during a ferocious fire told a certifier to reduce ...

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper