Installing 11.2 from USB memory stick

I've just looked at the instructions 'here'
(http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick) for creating a bootable USB
stick for installing oS.

The article mentions using the Live-CD. Does the DVD iso not work for
this?

--
*I**B**M* Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 1.66Ghz | Mesa DRI Intel 945GM
video | 3GB Ram

suse
11/12/2009 2:36:01 PM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

[QUOTE=suse tpx60s]
I've just looked at the instructions 'here'
(http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick) for creating a bootable USB
stick for installing oS.

The article mentions using the Live-CD. Does the DVD iso not work for
this?
[/QUOTE]
Hi
If you wanting to install from USB/SHDC look here;
http://en.opensuse.org/SuSE_install_from_USB_drive

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default

0
malcolmlewis
11/12/2009 3:17:42 PM
Thanks. I looked at that first but it said it was obsolete and pointed
you to the link I posted in my first post.

--
*I**B**M* Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 1.66Ghz | Mesa DRI Intel 945GM
video | 3GB Ram
openSuSE 11.1 | Linux 2.6.27.29-0.1 pae i686 | KDE 4.3.3
suse_tpx60s's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=28191
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=425271

0
suse
11/12/2009 3:36:02 PM
[QUOTE=suse tpx60s]
Thanks. I looked at that first but it said it was obsolete and pointed
you to the link I posted in my first post.
[/QUOTE]
Hi
The only two requirements are grabbing the mkbootdisk (loop mount
your iso image and grab it) script and using dd....

Might be marked as obsolete because the wiki team are hard at work
cleaning up documentation?

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

0
malcolmlewis
11/12/2009 3:49:14 PM
I was thinking about doing this for the first time also. I'm downloading
the dvd iso now to my usb stick.

Will it work if the usb stick is formatted with ext4?

Will it work if the iso is downloaded directly to the usb stick instead
of copied like the directions say to do?

--
pilotgi
pilotgi's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1313
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=425271

0
pilotgi
11/12/2009 3:56:02 PM
[QUOTE=pilotgi]
I was thinking about doing this for the first time also. I'm downloading
the dvd iso now to my usb stick.

Will it work if the usb stick is formatted with ext4?

Will it work if the iso is downloaded directly to the usb stick instead
of copied like the directions say to do?
[/QUOTE]
Needs to be FAT32 to boot. If you downloaded the net install and
follow the howto, shrink the partition and copy the iso over and point
to it when running the install.

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

0
malcolmlewis
11/12/2009 4:05:23 PM
I downloaded the iso before I made the usb stick bootable. Will that
make a difference?

Edit: Never mind. The download didn't get saved to the usb stick.

--
pilotgi
pilotgi's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1313
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=425271

0
pilotgi
11/12/2009 4:16:03 PM
Hi. I succesfully installed my openSUSE 11.2 x64 using malcolmlewis
suggested how-to. Had some difficulties, but the Discussion link on the
top of the site cleared them.

--
kaspievelna
kaspievelna's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=18680
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=425271

0
kaspievelna
11/14/2009 2:06:02 PM
I am trying to make the same install, but i can't seem to
find the mkbootdisk from this location
http://opensource.hqcodeshop.com/suse/mksusebootdisk

It seems that the link is down.

Is there a way to make a minimal install from
a kde live usb?

--
My personal home page http://users.ntua.gr/mc05002
arkara's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=29310
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=425271

0
arkara
11/14/2009 9:56:03 PM
[QUOTE=arkara]
I am trying to make the same install, but i can't seem to
find the mkbootdisk from this location
http://opensource.hqcodeshop.com/suse/mksusebootdisk

It seems that the link is down.

Is there a way to make a minimal install from
a kde live usb?
[/QUOTE]
Hi
You need to grab it off the mounted iso image, it should be down in the
boot directory from memory, i386 for 32bit, x86_64 for 64bit.
Else here it is;
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/11.2/repo/oss/boot/

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

0
malcolmlewis
11/14/2009 10:33:23 PM
malcolmlewis;2066624 Wrote:
> Hi
> You need to grab it off the mounted iso image, it should be down in the
> boot directory from memory, i386 for 32bit, x86_64 for 64bit.
> Else here it is;
> 'Index of /pub/opensuse/distribution/11.2/repo/oss/boot'
> (http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/11.2/repo/oss/boot/)

i did, grab it but it would not do the job, it said something
about the partition being a fat 32 and it wanted it to be fat 16.
But a fat 16 partition cannot contain the install dvd

--
My personal home page http://users.ntua.gr/mc05002
arkara's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=29310
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=425271

0
arkara
11/15/2009 12:16:01 AM
Here is the exact message:

Code:
--------------------
    root@ubuntu:~# ./mkbootdisk --32 --partition /dev/sdb1 /mnt/dvd
  disk /dev/sdb, partition /dev/sdb1
  must be 16 bit FAT

--------------------

--
My personal home page http://users.ntua.gr/mc05002
arkara's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=29310
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=425271

0
arkara
11/15/2009 12:26:01 AM
Yeah, another example of how complicated things are here.
Here is my story...:
'Simplest way to install 11.2 from USB-stick?? - openSUSE Forums'
(http://tinyurl.com/ye2w3f9)

--
magnusgus
magnusgus's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=5265
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=425271

0
magnusgus

Inspiron 1000 install problem (11.1, 11.2, net install, dvd install)
Ok, I have a plain jane Inspiron 1000, 2ghz celeron, 256m ram, 40gig hd, dvd. I burned 11.2 to dvd, 11.1 to dvd, tried installing both. Both get the dreaded "cannot create repository" (i'm paraphrasing). No problem, I download and burn 11.1, 11.2 net install's, checksums check out ok. I go through the first part where it downloads stuff from download.opensuse.com (or something similiar), then it fails again, not able to install. I get no message on the net installs. Just fails real quick with a red box. I tried a text install, fails. What gives? --...

Simplest way to install 11.2 from USB-stick??
OK, so here we go again, a netbook have no DVD-drive so there is need for usb-stick if U dont have a working network and other connected machine with the iso-file for 11.2, or a quick reliable internetconnection and lot of time. So, I found the new article about live-usb here: 'Live USB stick - openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick#openSUSE_11.2) Seems like a lot of difficult things are taken away wich is good for us non Linux-gurus. Have been running SUSE now since 11.0 and anyway I find these instructions quite complicated, Im sorry. My first question is: ...

Install 11.1RC1 messed up 11.0 install -- help
I loaded opensuse 11.1 RC1 live CD last night to see how it worked. I got stuck configuring the network card. It seemed that the network switch was off and wouldn't turn on so that even though the firmware was installed I couldn't get past that issue. So I decided to go ahead and install a second copy of opensuse on the machine, so that I would be about to reconfigure and reboot. I have a copy of opensuse 11.0. I configured 2 new partitions 3.75GB for the root, 256MB for /var. I configured it to use the existing 1GB swap, the existing 1GB /temp, and the existing 1GB ...

Help Please, how do I reinstall gnome/ati drivers from install dvd on an installed 11.2 sys?
Deleted my ati drivers accidently during a botched upgrade. Have been trying to fix the problem from things I read on here, made a thread but can't get online to execute it.Found my install dvd tried running repair and in the process deleted my windows partition(anyway to get that back?) and still no previous ati drivers or gnome installed. So my question is how do I install ati drivers from the dvd and how do I install gnome or kde from install dvd? -- Marslightyear ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Marslightyear;2166924 Wro...

can i move all device files from one 11.0.2 installation to another 11.0.2 installation with their server.cfg files ?
are there any problems n doing this ? ...

help to install Xampp for Linux (Lampp) on a USB memory stick
hello dear community, good evening! Hi, I need some help to install Xampp for Linux (Lampp) on a USB memory stick. I did it without any problem with the Windows version (just unzip Xampp on the key and run the setup...) but with my Linux OS OpenSuse 11.4 I succeed to have Lampp working only if I install it on my /opt directory (as it is explained in the official installation guide). I suppose it is just a problem of permissions, but I have no idea about how I'd have to un-tar and install the files in the right way. Or the Linux version works only if installed in the O...

Can not compile xmms-1.2.11. Please, help me. (configure: error: *** GLIB >= 1.2.2 not installed
OpenSuse11.3 download src xmms-1.2.11 ./configure .... checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/i586-suse-linux/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes checking dynamic linker characteristics... cat: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf: No such file or directory GNU/Linux ld.so checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool checking pthread.h usability... yes checking pthread.h presence... yes checking for pthread.h... yes checking for glib-config... no checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.2... no *** The glib-conf...

11.2 install failure but 11.1 to 11.2 upgrade (partial) success
Machine is basically an ASUS mother board with an AMD64 Athlon x2 processor and Nvidia hardware RAID discs mirroring each other. It has been used as a server for about four years under various incantations of openSUSE. After a major software corruption a couple of days ago, I decided to install 11.2 from an iso image downloaded, MD5 check-summed OK. The DVD was burnt on an iMac at the lowest speed (x8) and verified correctly. Installation proceeded as expected from partitioning to the installation of the GRUB loader - which failed - but only with a warning. Of course any attempt...

Install Gnome Desktop after KDE Install (11.2)
Hi Folks, I installed KDE from a CD. Then decided I wanted to have Gnome has an option. I installed "gnome-desktop" via software manager (as per some other instructions on the forum) but I still have no option to choose Gnome when logging in. What all do I choose to get the complete Gnome environment? Or is it better (& easier?) to reinstall with a DVD? -- vtpoet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Can we assume you checked the Session option at the bottom right of the login screen and did not find Gnome as a sele...

Installed from USB Stick / Updates ask for install media
I created a USB bootable stick and installed OpenSuse 11.4 on my server. Now, whenever the system tries to do auto-updates either during install or afterwards, it requires the usb stick to be connected to the machine in order to get updates. Is there a way to turn that off? -- cmaohio ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Go to Yast > Software Repositories And disable the USB install media in the list -- Box: 11.4 | Gnome 2.3 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM Lap #1: 11.4 | Duo T4300 | KDE 4.7.0 | Intel M4 Gra...

pROBLEN INSTALLING gNOME ON 11.2 AFTER INSTALLING kde
All, an interesting problem. I upgraded (instead of clean installed) my 11.0 with the new 11.2. Seemed to work fine. However, it did not install Gnome, just KDE. Ok I thought, I can handle this. So, into yast and I select Gnome base pattern:gnome_basis-11.2-20.22.1.x86_64 requires pattern:basesystem, but this requirement cannot be provided uninstallable providers: pattern:base-11.2-20.22.1.x86_64[openSUSE-11.2-Oss] pattern:base-11.2-20.22.1.i586[openSUSE-11.2-Oss] [ ] do not install pattern:gnome_basis-11.2-20.22.1.x86_64 [ ] break gnome_basis by ignoring some of its depe...

Install - 11.2, Again.. Patch HUGE ERROR
this is the 3rd time I've had to _try_ and install this os on an IBM ThinkCentre 3.5P4 w/ 2GBRam and SATA DVD-RW/HDD using onboard video and SB audio card.. Not fun. Don't know why things aren't being installed or configured, but.. Anyways, during 'Patch Download and Installation', 'Retrieving dhcp-client... Starting script fetchmsttfonts-11.2-6.6.12.noarch.. What. I'm now getting these errors: andale32.exe (http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/project%....what ever.. The point is Why is openSuSE downloading widows fonts from sourceforge in what I can only ...

need help on installation of 11.2!
Hi all my desktop has two hdd(sda+sdb recognized as (hd1)and (hd0)respectively..) sda has vista on it. sda is comprised of several simple volumes which vista calls dynamic ntfs.. sdb has four primary partitions: sdb1; sdb5,sdb6, sdb7. sdb5,6,7 are extended partitions, together put as sdb2. sdb5 for swap, sdb6 for (/)(does this mean root partition? but /root and /home are on the same level..), sdb7 for /home; this is suse 11.0. I delete the last simple volume of sda, and divided it into three partitions: sda8,9,10. sda8 for swap, 9 formatted as ext3 for /home, 10 formatted as ex...

To install or not to install?

Web resources about - Installing 11.2 from USB memory stick - opensuse.org.help.install

Rooting and installing Android 1.5 JesusFreke - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
More information at: android.noisepages.com/2009/05/rooting-pics/

Installing ClearCal Anti-Glare Film for Glossy Displays - YouTube
Demonstration of how to install a RadTech ClearCal Anti-Glare Film on a MacBook Pro. ClearCal eliminates glare on glossy displays like Apple's ...

The builder of a south-west Sydney unit block where a young woman plunged to her death during a ferocious fire told a certifier to reduce ...

Nine Sydney councils are getting ready to turn off the lights – 13,000 of them – to save more than $20 million.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper