install boots to scrambled screen, suse 12.1-64bit--kde

Hello all.

If needed, I have the hardware info file.

Motherboard GIGABYTE M61P-S3 AM2
AMD6000 dual core CPU
4GB Memory
SATA  1 terra byte drive
Two Sata DVD drives
NVIDIA 9800GT PCI-II

If do clean install, I get a scrambled screen on first boot. FYI, I
delete the linux partitions in mswin.

Delete all linux partitions
Boot to DVD install-> follow prompts to reboot screen --  KDE,
defaults
First boot screen is scrambled

Note: First time I installed suse 12.1, I interrupted it thinking the
installer had crashed. (hold down off switch)

Reboot normal mode--> install screen scrambled, I waited until I heard
the boot sounds. Then waited for more time to pass.

control-alt-delete  -->   cursor key down two times  --> enter key

Waited for grub menu, selected failsafe mode

Boot to suse, normal screen.

installed zypper updates  -->restart

reboots to normal screen.

Is there a way to avoid the scrambled screen?   Thanks.

--
lord_valarian

lord
1/4/2012 6:46:02 AM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

It's a known issue

I think if you add nomodeset during bootup of the install media, I read
it works.

But install > 1st partial reboot to auto config > Gives scramble
Just leave it until you are sure the auto config is done
Once you reboot it should be good
Install the nvidia driver and you are done

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.7.2 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |

0
caf4926
1/4/2012 6:56:03 AM
caf4926;2426118 Wrote:
> It's a known issue
>
> I think if you add nomodeset during bootup of the install media, I read
> it works.
>
> But install > 1st partial reboot to auto config > Gives scramble
> Just leave it until you are sure the auto config is done
> Once you reboot it should be good
> Install the nvidia driver and you are done

So, do the same as I did. It works.  :)

Still, how do I "add nomodeset during bootup of the install media"?
I'm curious.

--
lord_valarian
lord_valarian's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=3387
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=470667

0
lord
1/6/2012 7:46:53 PM
you get the screen garble even if you use the nomodest parameter - so
just follow the instructions from caf in the earlier post.

--
dth2
dth2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=246
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=470667

0
dth2
1/6/2012 8:26:03 PM
Confused from your first post you said it was on the first boot *after*
the install. That is when you simply type nomodeset before the boot
happens

--
gogalthorp
gogalthorp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37208
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=470667

0
gogalthorp
1/6/2012 10:16:02 PM
You can actually add 'nomodeset' to the arguments when you boot the
install media before install. The same as you would with arguments like
noapic, edd=off

I have not done so myself, but I also read here in the forum, that when
such is applied at the start like that, it is carried through, and
eliminates the issue in question. But I can't actually confirm it.

I've done more than a few installs where I knew this issue would arise,
but I just let it 'spit dummy' and did as I described earlier.

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.7.2 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |
3GB RAM
Lap#2: 12.1  | KDE 4.7.2 | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
*+EeePC | 12.1 | KDE*
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=470667

0
caf4926
1/7/2012 3:36:04 AM
If you look at this webpage:-

'openSUSE installation guide'
(http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/opensuse-install.html)

and scroll down to Grub Settings -  it is the section marked 'boot
options' that you would type in nomodeset but as I pointed out it in my
intel core 2 duo / nividia card) you still get the scrambled screen on
installation

--
dth2
dth2's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=246
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=470667

0
dth2
1/7/2012 11:16:02 AM
"nomodeset" might work. It's in the installer menu. For now, suse works
fine. Thanks.

--
lord_valarian
lord_valarian's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=3387
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=470667

0
lord

Help! Installing Seamonkey 1.0.1 messed up system
Something went horribly wrong when I tried to install Seamonkey 1.0.1. First, Seamonkey was missing menu and menu item labels and displayed a partial error message in red at the very bottom of the window (_below_ the row containing the status area, the on-line/off-line indicator, etc.). The message says: <broadcaster id="Communicator:Workmode" --^ The really bad part is that is messed up something on my machine (Windows XP)--when I uninstalled Seamonkey 1.0.1 and tried installing Seamonkey 1.0 and then Mozilla Suite 1.7.12, I get the same symptoms. I also...

If somebody could tell me what should be the problem. I installed Mozilla 1.7 under Mandrake Linux 9.1. But there are no icons installed into my KDE automaticly. Mozulla 1.7 installation problem
If somebody could tell me what should be the problem. I installed Mozilla 1.7 under Mandrake Linux 9.1. But there are no icons installed into my KDE automaticly. What should be the problem? ...

boot loader installation help
Hi all, I'm a newbie and need some help. I recently decided to make the move to Linux, specifically SUSE Linux. Wanting to avoid problems, I decided the best way to make the switch would be by buying a book that would help me install and get up and running. Reviewing a few books, I decided to purchase: "Beginning SUSE Linux, Second Edition" by Keir Thomas. Along with the book came a DVD containing openSUSE 10.1 To give you a little background on my system... I have two (pretty sure they are IDE) hard drives. The first hard drive has Windows 2000 and my aim was t...

I haven't seen this anywhere, so I figured I would add it here. First of all, it is incorrect to recommend to anyone that who has VS.NET 2002 to do ANYTHING but first install VS.NET 2002. The installl order for VS.NET 2002 and .Net Framwork 1.1 SHOULD BE: 0. Install ALL windows updates for your pc EXCEPT FOR .NET Framwork 1.1 1. Install VS.NET 2002 2. Install MSDE that comes w/VS.NET 2002 (USE A NAMED INSTANCE! Never usee the default instance) 2. Install MDAC 2.8 3. Install .Net Framework 1.1 4. SOMEHOW GET RID OF .NET Framework and get VS.NET and IIS 5.x to work w...

Help
hello, im having an ASUS K501N series laptop that has a G102M GeForce NVIDIA graphic card.Im having a dual boot with windows XP and OpenSUSE 11.1.i have already installed the graphic driver to windows but dont really Know how to installed it in SUSE 11.1..so i came up to this forum topic and did as what was told: > Start the Software installer and make sure you have the pattern 'Linux > Kernel Development' installed. > > Open a terminal window and issue following commands: > > mkdir NVIDIA-driver > cd NVIDIA-driver > wget ftp://download.nvidia...

Ati Driver Install Problem SuSE 12.1 AMD CPU 64bit
Hoping somebody can help with an ATI Graphics Driver problem. SuSE 12.1 Fresh install Having discovered that there isn't an ati repository at the mo i decided to download AMD's current ati driver installer. it gets stuck on "license agreement required" and "waiting for service to start" i'm in a position where i no longer have 3D graphics. Can somebody please help me either get this driver installed and running with 3D graphics or help me to uninstall it Mark -- akwe-xavante -------------------------------------------------------...

SuSE 12.1: nouveau
Just installed 12.1 last week, and the one install problem I had was the nouveau (open source NVidia) / kernel mode feature that's being forced on everyone with an NVidia card. Installation came up and worked, but the screen flashed black briefly (~1/10th of a second) every 10 seconds throughout the whole installation. Very annoying. After installation, once I installed the NVidia driver (disabling nouveau) that problem went away. GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX560 Ti 448 cores (As an aside, when I installed Ubuntu 11.10, their install [with default options] wouldn't eve...

Suse 12.1 installed on External HDD, but if disconnected, laptop won't boot into windows.
I am rather new to Opensuse. After installing Opensuse to an External Hard Drive which I took out of my old laptop (cased it with a USB 3.0 connection), I booted up and everything was fine. I was presented with Graphical Opensuse screen with options to boot into Opensuse or Windows. The problem occurs when I disconnect the external HDD and then turn on my machine. The screen goes blank, then a few lines of text saying something like 'Grub failed to load' or something similar then thats it, nothing happens beyond that. This means now that I need to keep my Ext. HDD conn...

Installing SUSE 12.1 alongside SUSE 11.4
Hello, I have a Dell Dimension C521 (AMD AthlonX2) with a 160 GB internal HDD and and an external Hard Disk (Seagate GoFlex ITB capacity on USB) with 3 GB RAM. The system has dual boot for Windows Vista Home Premium and SUSE 11.4 64 bit. The internal HDD is dedicated to Windows Vista. The GRUB is installed on the MBR of the external HDD. The booting order is DVD drive, external HDD and then internal HDD. If the external HDD is not switched/powered on, the systems boots into Windows Vista directly. I can then switch on the external HDD and access the Windows partitions (first ...

12.1 Installation Issue
I have tried to install 12.1 multiple times on my workstation, but to no avail. Instead of upgrading my previous installed system, I put in new, larger hard drives and going for a clean, fresh install. I get through the first part of the installation okay. I set up the disks, select packages, etc. After it installs the packages, it goes to start up a session, and all I get is a white screen where I can see the cursor symbol, but nothing happens. I've even let it go four hours to see if something was just being slow, and nothing. Any ideas? (System is an older system...

Install 11.4 Live CD install Gnome / KDE ATI: screen crash... using on live cd or install impossible
Hello, After trying to install the 11.4 Live CD Gnome and KDE, I see these two versions as soon as the kernel loads the ATI driver the screen becomes unreadable (this problem also in console mode text). Use live cd, as its installation therefore becomes impossible! The affected machine is a Sony Vaio VGN-SR29VN equipped with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470, installed on key usb3 (IOPS higher) bootable via USB 2. NET version (180 Mb) it seems I am to spend 31% of the install. A correct emergency ... Good day. -- phil995511 -------------------------------------------...

Do I need to install 12.5.1 GA before 12.5.1 ESD #1
I've fallen a little behind with upgrades, and am still on 12.5.0.3 EBF 11339 (Win 2K Server), so following the recent security alert, i've decided to upgrade to 12.5.3. My question is - can I skip most/all of the intermediate releases or do I need to install each individual release/EBF between 12.5.0.3 and 12.5.3? For instance, in the 12.5.1 ESD #1 release, the readme file says that you must already be at 12.5.1 to install it - If this is true, where do I get the 12.5.1 GA from - it's not available as a download! TIA, BB Release Terminology: EBF: An official sof...

installing kde after installing suse 10 just with gnome
I just installed suse enterprise server 10 and during install I only selected GNOME as my desktop environment. What I want to do now is install KDE too.... I entered yast and searched for kde on my install cd... i get a lot of kde components, but I don't really know what to select... no automatic dependency between packeges is made. The thing is I would like an easy install of kde and then be able to swith between kde and gnome from the login window's session tab. If anybode could guide me I would be very gratefull. thx in advance -- kux ----------------------------...

[urgent] boot fails: error 28 when grub tries to boot from root image after installing 12.1
I did a fresh install of 12.1 from live kde usb stick X86_64. After installation a reboot is required without cd (but usb in my case). When the PC reboots I get following error: Code: -------------------- Booting 'opensuse 12.1' root(hd0,1) Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83 kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.1.0-1.2-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6V320F0_V60SJM5G-part2 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6V320F0_V60SJM5G-part2 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x31a [Linux-bzimage, setup=0x4200, size=0x4baef0] initrd /boot/initrd-3.1.0-1.2-d...

Web resources about - install boots to scrambled screen, suse 12.1-64bit--kde - opensuse.org.help.install