Install 11.4 Live CD install Gnome / KDE ATI: screen crash... using on live cd or install impossible

Hello,

After trying to install the 11.4 Live CD Gnome and KDE, I see these two
versions as soon as the kernel loads the ATI driver the screen becomes
unreadable (this problem also in console mode text). Use live cd, as its
installation therefore becomes impossible!

The affected machine is a Sony Vaio VGN-SR29VN equipped with an ATI
Mobility Radeon HD 3470, installed on key usb3 (IOPS higher) bootable
via USB 2.

NET version (180 Mb) it seems I am to spend 31% of the install.

A correct emergency ...

Good day.

--
phil995511

phil995511
3/10/2011 11:06:01 AM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Versions affected:

openSUSE-11.4-GNOME-LiveCD-x86_64.iso

openSUSE-11.4-LiveCD-KDE-x86_64.iso

--
phil995511
phil995511's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=51689

0
phil995511
3/10/2011 11:36:02 AM
maybe something here will help:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_graphics_cards
and/or
openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users
http://tinyurl.com/2vsv4rh

--
DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD

--
phil995511
phil995511's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=51689
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=455270

0
phil995511
3/10/2011 12:36:02 PM
On 03/10/2011 01:36 PM, phil995511 wrote:

> unfortunately, it crashes as soon as the kernel installation starts ..

on the first green screen FIRST make sure you have good install media
by doing this: http://tinyurl.com/2ebcf27

if there are ANY errors you can throw that disk away....and, look on
the download page for "download help" to make sure you are getting a
perfect iso BEFORE you burn the disk..

if it passes, then push F3 and select a different (smaller numbered)
video mode..

--
DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
"It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11
0
DenverD
3/10/2011 1:03:22 PM
I again downloaded the gnome version, the check can not crash graphic
... the problem persists with a lower display mode

--
phil995511
phil995511's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=51689
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=455270

0
phil995511
3/10/2011 2:06:02 PM
On 03/10/2011 03:06 PM, phil995511 wrote:

> I again downloaded the gnome version, the check can not crash graphic

did you do this: http://tinyurl.com/2ebcf27 ?

what were the results? "did not crash graphic" is not what i expected
to hear, it either reported no errors or it reported errors..

have you tried to boot from and and run the Live CD, rather than
install it? what were the results of that?

--
DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
"It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11
0
DenverD
3/10/2011 3:23:18 PM
yes I have done:

http://tinyurl.com/2ebcf27

graphic result crash

no error messages

no console text available

boot from cd, install or check the CD causes a crash Graphic

--
phil995511
phil995511's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=51689
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=455270

0
phil995511
3/10/2011 5:36:02 PM
I have the same probblem. Tried on another PC (not a laptop) with older
ATI card and Live CD boots up normally. But when i try to do that on my
laptop (ATI mobility firegl v5600) screen go bananas as soon as kernel
loads. Have 32-bit KDE version

--
uporabn1k
uporabn1k's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=56012

On 03/10/2011 06:36 PM, uporabn1k wrote:

> I have the same probblem.

did either of you try is to boot from grub with boot code: nomodeset

if you do not know how to do that it is explained here:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_graphics_cards

--
DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
"It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11
0
DenverD
3/10/2011 6:01:02 PM
uporabn1k;2301139 Wrote:
> I have the same probblem. Tried on another PC (not a laptop) with older
> ATI card and Live CD boots up normally. But when i try to do that on my
> laptop (ATI mobility firegl v5600) screen go bananas as soon as kernel
> loads. Have 32-bit KDE version

There is a known bug with openSUSE-11.4 that crept in between RC1 and
RC2 (and is in the GM version) that the 11.4 immediate crashes upon boot
if one has many different types of Radeon hardware.

One needs to boot with the boot code 'nomodeset' or 'safe settings' in
such a case.

I've posted on this a number of times (and wrote a bug report).

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=455270

0
oldcpu
3/10/2011 6:06:01 PM
Yeah i managed to install with nomodeset comand. Screen shivered a bit
in start but now it is ok. Tnx for help with that #3 post.

--
uporabn1k
uporabn1k's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=56012
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=455270

0
uporabn1k

Installing SuSE 11 via Live CD doesn't install after POST
Hello, I'm currently trying to install Open SuSE v11 (32bit) on a system using the Live CD. The last step in the procedure, found on this site, states that I should reboot the system after finishing the installation wizard and that when the system boots back up it will begin the rest of the installation process. However after rebooting my system sits with a blinking cursor on a black screen after POST. I do see HD activity on the HD LED but the system isn't doing anything otherwise. I've left it in this state for as much as 30 minutes with no change in display or HD...

Banshee Will Not Start -Fresh Install- 11.4 Gnome Live CD
Hey Folks, --The Problem-- Banshee Fails to start or open. I click on Banshee Icon and the small watch pops up for about 10 seconds and then disappears. --The Facts-- Fresh Install of OpenSuSe 11.4, Using Gnome Live CD Sound *DOES* work. I can play "YouTube" "system sounds" etc I have an "Asus" motherboard with "VIA" sound built in, It is disabled in the BIOS I have a sound blaster sound card with and ensonique chipset, installed. "ES1370 [AudioPci] The above card is using the "Driver snd-ens1370" The above infor...

Using 10.3 Net Install CD to install 11
I have a Net Install CD for openSUSE 10.3 which I have used successfully and am now looking at upgrading to 11. Actually I am looking at installing it fresh on a new hard drive, not upgrade the existing installation. One of the steps in the installation is telling it where the OSS repository is located. I am wondering, could I just have it point to the openSUSE 11 repository instead or does the CD and repository match? I'm just hoping to keep from having to download and burn another CD. I really should figure out how to install it on a USB stick so I can just overwrite i...

To install or not to install?

Comment on 11.4 install from live CD
This is just a comment, not a complaint or a request for help. I tried installing 11.4 from the live CD on a new motherboard (ASRock N68C-S UCC) and the very first screen (license agreement) comes out so garbled that I can not read anything from it. I tried to run rather then install from the live CD, with the same result. Hitting F3 and changing the resolution to 800x600 still did not fix this. I find it surprising, because I would expect the installation process to use low quality graphics and therefore not be too bothered about the specifics of the graphics chipset (NVidia...

53%install while installing from cd
Please help me if you can. This is a first time problem while installing from CD. TID:workstation install not available TID2913771. The span sets were not correctly copied down, so when setupwin/a was run to create the files necessary for a workstation install, it "completed" after installing only 53% of the files. there are two windows I need to install to, one is Windows 98 second edition, and the other is Windows XP multimedia edition. sincerely Zen This appears to be a GroupWise TID and problem. If so pls post in the GW forums, thx. -- Andrew C Taubman N...

Help Please, how do I reinstall gnome/ati drivers from install dvd on an installed 11.2 sys?
Deleted my ati drivers accidently during a botched upgrade. Have been trying to fix the problem from things I read on here, made a thread but can't get online to execute it.Found my install dvd tried running repair and in the process deleted my windows partition(anyway to get that back?) and still no previous ati drivers or gnome installed. So my question is how do I install ati drivers from the dvd and how do I install gnome or kde from install dvd? -- Marslightyear ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Marslightyear;2166924 Wro...

11.4 M6 Install-11.4 RC1 Install
I'm currently running 11.4 M6 on my Netbook and was wondering if I download the Release Candidate 1 DVD image and burn it to DVD will I need to do a clean Install of Release Candidate 1 or will I be able to upgrade M6 to RC1. This is the first time that I've used a pre-release version of OpenSuse? Roland -- Rolandh31 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Rolandh31;2287497 Wrote: > I'm currently running 11.4 M6 on my Netbook and was wondering if I > download the Release Candidate 1 DVD image and burn it to DVD wil...

Yast is broken on 11.1 Live CD install? Help!
I've installed SUSE 11.1 from live CD. Now when I try to install something from one Click install( say, KDE 4.2) I get a choice to save .yamp file or open it with...Normally on DVD installed systems I get Yast 2 option by default. Not on this one. I browse down to /sbin/Yast2, and I get an error message that something is missing. Google search prompted for Yast2 reinstall, if that might be a solution, how can I do it ? Reinstall Yast2 from Yast2 GUI? Looks like Vista and IE7 solution. Any help is welcome.:( Thanks -- alex1966 -------------------------------------------...

pROBLEN INSTALLING gNOME ON 11.2 AFTER INSTALLING kde
All, an interesting problem. I upgraded (instead of clean installed) my 11.0 with the new 11.2. Seemed to work fine. However, it did not install Gnome, just KDE. Ok I thought, I can handle this. So, into yast and I select Gnome base pattern:gnome_basis-11.2-20.22.1.x86_64 requires pattern:basesystem, but this requirement cannot be provided uninstallable providers: pattern:base-11.2-20.22.1.x86_64[openSUSE-11.2-Oss] pattern:base-11.2-20.22.1.i586[openSUSE-11.2-Oss] [ ] do not install pattern:gnome_basis-11.2-20.22.1.x86_64 [ ] break gnome_basis by ignoring some of its depe...

11.3 Can not install Gnome after Install with KDE
I have installed openSUSE 11.3 on a couple of computers here at work, one 64bit one 32. I always install choosing KDE as the desktop and installed Gnome once the OS install is complete. Now when I go into YAST2 and select the gnome and I get the following. pattern:gnome-11.3-22.1.i586 requires patterns-openSUSE-gnome, but ths requirement cannot be provided uninstallable providers:patterns-openSUSE-gnome-11.3-22.1.i586[openSUSE_11.3_Oss] Conflict Resolution: deinstallation of patterns-openSUSE-kde4_pure-11.3.1.i586 do not install pattern:gnome-11.3-22.1.i586 break gnome by ig...

Install Gnome Desktop after KDE Install (11.2)
Hi Folks, I installed KDE from a CD. Then decided I wanted to have Gnome has an option. I installed "gnome-desktop" via software manager (as per some other instructions on the forum) but I still have no option to choose Gnome when logging in. What all do I choose to get the complete Gnome environment? Or is it better (& easier?) to reinstall with a DVD? -- vtpoet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Can we assume you checked the Session option at the bottom right of the login screen and did not find Gnome as a sele...

does 11.3 KDE Live CD really need 1GB to install?
Actually this is a success story to give you the ending first. This laptop (Dell Inspiron 700m) has worked nearly flawlessly with previous releases so it's not a surprise to me that everything came up ok. (I think the SD reader doesn't work, but I don't care about that.) The only thing that puzzled me is that when I booted with the KDE Live CD i686 and selected Installation, it took a long time to start the installer, and when it did it warned me that I had less than 1GB RAM. The machine does have 1GB RAM but I think a few MB are stolen for the video. So I went ahead....

XFCE install from live CD, yes CD
Is it possible to install XFCE from the OpenSuse live CD V 11.1, yes CD ? be it either Gnome or KDE ? Sure I d like to have version 11.1. On http://en.opensuse.org/XFCE_Live_CD I found the link http://wua.la/bgta/openSUSE/XFCE+Live which allows download of an unofficial XFCE-Suse 11.0 version. Can anyone tell me the differences to 11.1 ? I have an elderly computer, and would like to install the least ressource intense system possible. And of course no DVD drive available, therefore I cannot use the OpenSuse-11.1-liveDVDs options menu. Any further suggestions ? Thanks ...