How much in general does the upgrade from 11.1 to 11.2 ....

clobber the original system?  I've never attempted an upgrade before.  I
have 11.2 on a DVD if that matters.

Does the upgrade (not installation) leave some of the old stuff alone,
like user config files, etc.  Or does one need to go through lots of
re-config after the upgrade.

I have a fairly vanilla, and working well, 11.1 system now.  No
multi-boot, etc.  I would like the same after the upgrade.

And yes I understand the answer "it depends". ;-)

--
gudewdl

gudewdl
5/13/2010 2:56:02 PM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

IMO do a clean install. All those old config files may cause a problem.
Just DON'T format the home partition and you will keep all you user
settings and data.

--
gogalthorp
gogalthorp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37208

0
gogalthorp
5/13/2010 2:56:02 PM
What graphics do you have on your system ? 11.1 will be supported until
a number of months after 11.3 arrives.

You may wish to support who well 11.2 supports your graphics before
updating to 11.1.  In some cases 11.2 provides better graphic support
than 11.1 and in some cases worse, so it is likely worthwhile checking
first.  Dependant on your graphics you may wish to wait for 11.3.

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
oldcpu
5/13/2010 3:46:01 PM
oldcpu;2164620 Wrote:
> What graphics do you have on your system ? 11.1 will be supported until
> a number of months after 11.3 arrives.
>
> You may wish to support who well 11.2 supports your graphics before
> updating to 11.1.  In some cases 11.2 provides better graphic support
> than 11.1 and in some cases worse, so it is likely worthwhile checking
> first.  Dependant on your graphics you may wish to wait for 11.3.

Thanks for the reply.

Graphics card:  nVidia Quadro FX 570

Working fine with 11.1.  Wonder why a newer version would take that
away?  The working fine part, that is.

--
gudewdl
gudewdl's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15674
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
gudewdl
5/13/2010 4:16:02 PM
I aways find it useful to boot from a liveCD, in this case one of the
11.2 live CD's to see how well hardware is detected,

And how the system works in general. I would do this before either
upgrade or fresh install.

--
dvhenry
dvhenry's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37839

dvhenry;2164637 Wrote:
> I aways find it useful to boot from a liveCD, in this case one of the
> 11.2 live CD's to see how well hardware is detected,
>
> And how the system works in general. I would do this before either
> upgrade or fresh install.
Thats nearly what I was writing, too, but dvheny was faster.

1. Test openSUSE 11.2 via live CD (or live CD on USB stick if this is
faster?).
2. Make one or two copies of the 11.1 "/" installation (via Yast>System
Backup and a full copy via Knoppix CD etc.?).

Have you looked for ("openSUSE 11.1" OR "openSUSE11.2") AND "nVidia
Quadro FX 570" in the net and especially in novells bugzilla?

Greetings
pistazienfresser

--
----
Most used:
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
pistazienfresser
5/13/2010 4:26:02 PM
gudewdl;2164635 Wrote:
> Working fine with 11.1.  Wonder why a newer version would take that
> away?  The working fine part, that is.I would have to research to be certain, but in your case with nVidia
hardware it should be fine.

In the case of users with ATI Radeon hardware, ATI decided to stop
support of legacy hardware (as defined by them) and that mean that
version 9.3 of the ATI catalyst driver was the last version that
supported legacy hardware. However the 9.3 version of the catalyst
driver only works with older kernels (such as are on openSUSE-11.1 with
the 2.6.27 kernel).  The proprietary ATI driver does not work with
legacy hardware on openSUSE-11.2.

That meant that users of "ATI legacy hardware" have to rely on the open
source drivers (radeon and radeonhd) and unfortunately the openSUSE-11.2
implementation of those drivers was not the best.  openSUSE-11.3 (still
in milestone testing) actually has a much better open source radeon
driver and ATI legacy hardware users should be much happier with that
openSUSE version (as opposed to 11.2).

Again, your case with nVidia hardware should be ok.

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
oldcpu
5/13/2010 4:36:01 PM
oldcpu;2164646 Wrote:
> I would have to research to be certain, but in your case with nVidia
> hardware it should be fine.
> [...]
>
> Again, your case with nVidia hardware should be ok.
Don' t now if it is possible to make a scientist proof but this speaks
for no problems with a graphic with a "M" (a mobile sister?):
'Intel 4965 doesn't work on OpenSuse 11.2 - openSUSE Forums'
(http://tinyurl.com/2cyqzqr)

Greetings
pistazienfresser

--
----
Most used:
openSUSE 11.2 with GNOME 2.28.2 (or sometimes KDE 4.3.5) and Kernel
Linux 2.6.31.12-0.2-default (or sometimes MS Win XP, oS 11.3 Milestone 6
GNOME)
Samsung X20 (SX20S) with Pentium M 740 (1730 MHz) and Intel graphic
915GM on board
pistazienfresser's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10227
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
pistazienfresser
5/13/2010 4:56:02 PM
Good idea to test with the 11.2 LiveCD.  So I did.

Worked fine.  Graphics worked.  System recognized the video card as a
nvidia Quadro FX 570.  Me thinks it's OK.

I'll move on now to upgrading from 11.1 to 11.2 and check for smoke
along the way.

Hope this might help others along the way.

--
gudewdl
gudewdl's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15674
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
gudewdl
5/13/2010 9:26:02 PM
Today I decided to upgrade from 11.1 to 11.2.  Booted the DVD and all
looked ok until.....

I got to the screen entitled Installation Settings

Under Update Options - Gnome did not appear.  KDE4 and lots of other
stuff did but not Gnome.  I didn't want to proceeed further.

My 11.1 system has both GNOME (v 2.6) and KDE4 installed and they both
work fine.  I've kept up with the latest updates, etc.  No problems.

Anyone hazard a guess as to why Gnome didn't appear in Update Options?

And before anyone suggests doing an install rather than an upgrade, I'd
like to do an upgrade and let people here know that it's ok to do an
upgrade.  Really.

Once I understand what's going on with Gnome, I intend to go down the
upgrade path once again.

--
gudewdl
gudewdl's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15674
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
gudewdl
5/19/2010 3:56:02 PM
Are you sure you used the DVD and not a KDE CD?

--
gogalthorp
gogalthorp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37208
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
gogalthorp
5/19/2010 4:06:02 PM
gogalthorp;2166838 Wrote:
> Are you sure you used the DVD and not a KDE CD?

Well, I downloaded the 11.2 s/w from the OpenSUSE site and upon booting
the DVD it said OpenSUSE 11.2 in more than a few places.

Was gonna provide the link, but it appears to be unavailable at the
moment.  It's the "Get It" box on the openSUSE home page.

--
gudewdl
gudewdl's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15674
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
gudewdl
5/19/2010 4:26:01 PM
Thought you said you tested with a live CD. If so did you get the disks
mixed up?

You can install from a Live CD but by default it will only present you
with the desktop it has ie a KDE live CD will have only KDE on it.

If you install via the DVD you will get a screen asking which
desktop(s) you want.

--
gogalthorp
gogalthorp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37208
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
gogalthorp
5/19/2010 4:36:02 PM
gogalthorp;2166847 Wrote:
> Thought you said you tested with a live CD. If so did you get the disks
> mixed up?
>
> You can install from a Live CD but by default it will only present you
> with the desktop it has ie a KDE live CD will have only KDE on it.
>
> If you install via the DVD you will get a screen asking which
> desktop(s) you want.

I did *test* with the Live CD.  It worked fine.  Big item was to check
if it recognized my video card, which it did.

I'll try booting the DVD again and tell it to upgrade rather than
install.  I suspect I'll get the same results.

Will post results here.

--
gudewdl
gudewdl's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15674
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
gudewdl
5/19/2010 4:46:01 PM
You really want a new install. The DVD will present the desktop
selection screen.

--
gogalthorp
gogalthorp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37208
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
gogalthorp
5/19/2010 5:26:02 PM
gogalthorp;2166862 Wrote:
> You really want a new install. The DVD will present the desktop
> selection screen.

Tried the upgrade again - same results.  Wasn't surprised.

This time around I clicked on Package Options and a familiar YaST
screen appeared that did have GNOME listed.  I read where KDE is the
default desktop in 11.2, so *maybe* that's why Gnome didn't appear in
Update Options?  Anyway, I clicked on GNOME and a pop up window appeared
with the following message:

problem with installed pkg Kernel-default-base 2.6.27.45-0.1.1.x86_64

below the message were 2 radio buttons which one could select either
keep the above kernel-default-base version or the kernel-base.  Both
were the same version mentioned above.

Not knowing what to do, I aborted the installation.

If there is a problem with the installed pkg Kernel-default....
I sure don't notice anything while running 11.1 and it's been well over
a year since I installed it.

Oh and I did check installation media before attempting the upgrade --
No errors

--
gudewdl
gudewdl's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15674
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
gudewdl
5/19/2010 7:16:01 PM
Ok one last time I'm going to recommend you do a fresh install rather
then an upgrade. Just don't format the home partition and be sure it
mounts as /home.

Really I have never ever seen a good upgrade path for any OS, unless
you up grade to newer after a fresh install of an older. Over time OS's
collect all sorts of things and no automated installer is going to be
able to handle all situations.

--
gogalthorp
gogalthorp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37208
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
gogalthorp
5/20/2010 3:46:02 AM
gudewdl;2167203 Wrote:
> I will probably take your advice now, although I wonder why there is
> even an upgrade choice, given the potential problems. I typically always do a clean install.

Having typed that, some users 'swear' by the upgrade choice.  I think a
lot depends on how much one diverges from a nomninal "as packaged"
installation in terms of 3rd party packages.  I install many 3rd party
packages which makes an upgrade difficult.

Plus, in some cases there are drastic changes in terms of the file
system (such as from Reiser to EXT3 and then from EXT3 to EXT4) and
these are issues that an upgrade does not address well.

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
oldcpu
5/20/2010 1:36:01 PM
gogalthorp;2167035 Wrote:
> Ok one last time I'm going to recommend you do a fresh install rather
> then an upgrade. Just don't format the home partition and be sure it
> mounts as /home.
>
> Really I have never ever seen a good upgrade path for any OS, unless
> you up grade to newer after a fresh install of an older. Over time OS's
> collect all sorts of things and no automated installer is going to be
> able to handle all situations.

I will probably take your advice now, although I wonder why there is
even an upgrade choice, given the potential problems.

And for completeness, since the OpenSUSE download site link is working
today, here's the place where I downloaded the DVD for 11.2:

'Software.openSUSE.org' (http://software.opensuse.org/112/en)

--

oldcpu;2167208 Wrote:
> I typically always do a clean install.
>
> Having typed that, some users 'swear' by the upgrade choice.  I think a
> lot depends on how much one diverges from a nomninal "as packaged"
> installation in terms of 3rd party packages.  I install many 3rd party
> packages which makes an upgrade difficult.
>
> Plus, in some cases there are drastic changes in terms of the file
> system (such as from Reiser to EXT3 and then from EXT3 to EXT4) and
> these are issues that an upgrade does not address well.

I re-read the 11.2 upgrade material - Chapter 14 in the 11.2 Reference
doc - and there was mention of: "add repositories to make sure to get
all available software updated whenever possible".

I didn't add any 11.2 repositories when I attempted the upgrade.  Was I
supposed to?

--
gudewdl
gudewdl's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15674
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
gudewdl
5/20/2010 3:26:01 PM
gudewdl;2167253 Wrote:
> I re-read the 11.2 upgrade material - Chapter 14 in the 11.2 Reference
> doc - and there was mention of: "add repositories to make sure to get
> all available software updated whenever possible".
>
> I didn't add any 11.2 repositories when I attempted the upgrade.  Was I
> supposed to?It depends on how the upgrade is done.  If doing so from an installation
CD/DVD it is not so easy to add an extra repository. Typically the
CD/DVD is treated as the repository for the install.

Some users rather than update via a CD/DVD will update via repositories
only. Ie they will change all of their 11.1 repositories to 11.2, and
then update everything.  I'm not a believer in this method, but some
users swear by it. :)

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=438725

0
oldcpu

11.2 install failure but 11.1 to 11.2 upgrade (partial) success
Machine is basically an ASUS mother board with an AMD64 Athlon x2 processor and Nvidia hardware RAID discs mirroring each other. It has been used as a server for about four years under various incantations of openSUSE. After a major software corruption a couple of days ago, I decided to install 11.2 from an iso image downloaded, MD5 check-summed OK. The DVD was burnt on an iMac at the lowest speed (x8) and verified correctly. Installation proceeded as expected from partitioning to the installation of the GRUB loader - which failed - but only with a warning. Of course any attempt...

Installing fresh or upgrading Open Suse 11.1 to 11.2
Hello All, My question to the community is should I preform a fresh install of OpenSuSe 11.2 or upgrade my current version of OpenSuSe 11.1? As of current I just use my system to surf the web check, email and Basic Business needs. The specs of my Laptop are: OS INFORMATION OS: Linux 2.6.25.20-0.4-default i686 Current user: jraglin@Jada System: openSUSE 11.1 (i586) KDE: 3.5.9 "release 49.1" CPU INFORMATION Processor (CPU): AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 Speed: 2,000.00 MHz Cores: 2 MEMORY INFORMATION Total memory (RAM): 2.8 GB Free ...

Can not compile xmms-1.2.11. Please, help me. (configure: error: *** GLIB >= 1.2.2 not installed
OpenSuse11.3 download src xmms-1.2.11 ./configure .... checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/i586-suse-linux/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes checking dynamic linker characteristics... cat: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf: No such file or directory GNU/Linux ld.so checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool checking pthread.h usability... yes checking pthread.h presence... yes checking for pthread.h... yes checking for glib-config... no checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.2... no *** The glib-conf...

Upgrade 11.2 milestone 1 to 11.2 stable?
I upgrade my openSUSE to 11.2 milestone 1. Can i update it easy to the Stable release or will be all updates includet, so that i have in the end the stable release? I'm new with openSUSE. -- Heeroo2009 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ It can be done however it would not be advised. Updates are notorious for being more trouble than they are worth. A clean install is always the best way to go. Also if you are only new to opensuse it might be advisable to avoid the 11.2 builds until they mature a bit. -- Isaac702 ------...

Inspiron 1000 install problem (11.1, 11.2, net install, dvd install)
Ok, I have a plain jane Inspiron 1000, 2ghz celeron, 256m ram, 40gig hd, dvd. I burned 11.2 to dvd, 11.1 to dvd, tried installing both. Both get the dreaded "cannot create repository" (i'm paraphrasing). No problem, I download and burn 11.1, 11.2 net install's, checksums check out ok. I go through the first part where it downloads stuff from download.opensuse.com (or something similiar), then it fails again, not able to install. I get no message on the net installs. Just fails real quick with a red box. I tried a text install, fails. What gives? --...

upgrade from 11.1 to 11.2
Hello, Thanks for reading my post I upgrade the system from 11.1 to 11.2 seems everything work fine, no error no warning, after a reboot the consol show : mount error while loading shared libraries: libvolume_id.so.1: Cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. when I try to repair the system the repair tool cannot find the root partion, any sugession please. -- soprano1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I recommend a clean new install. There are just too many differences to do an upgrade.When installing tell the i...

Upgrade Install From 11 to 11.1
It hasn't been long since I'm on version 11 (because it took long to fix some major issues I had with) and now that version 11.1 is out, I really don't want to do a full install. Good thing I noticed there is an 'upgrade' option on the install DVD. I'm not sure what will happen though, so I had a few questions. If you know the answer to any number of these, please reply: 1 - What's being upgraded? 2 - Will all the packages I have installed be upgraded? 3 - Is it a side-by-side install, keep the old and get the new? 4 - What about the ones I did NOT in...

upgrade 11.0.2.2 to 11.5.1 questions....
Our company plans on migrating from our 11.0.2.2 database on NT 3.51 to a new server running NT 4.0 and 11.5.1. What will be necessary for the migration? Can I simply load 11.5.1 on the new server, load the logins, create the databases 'for load,' and restore the database dumps from 11.0.2? Thanks, Patrick Bennett Patrick, Yes, essentially, you can do that. You might want to just install 11.0.2.2 over on NT 4.0 and get it running as it is today. You can install a basic server (just master/sybsystemprocs), then move the device files over to it and boot it. Then, ru...

RFI
Hi, Is it worth going to 11.5.1 considering 11.9.2 is out? I'm looking for information about upgrading 11.0.3 to 11.5.1 or 11.9.2 on HP-UX. Looking for advice, tips & tricks, pitfalls, etc I'm also interested in other peoples exeriances with 11.5.1 and 11.9.2 with regaurds to performance, stability, bugs & problems. thanks in advance Andrew. -- The views expressed are those of the author, not necessarily of Innovus Limited. Andrew, When I took the "Powering-up for ASE 11.5" class from Syba...

howto upgrade from 11.1 to 11.2 RC 1 via zypper
Hi Guys, sorry for being a pain in the a$$ but could someone spell out the repo's needed for zypper to bring 11.1 to the RC 2, right now i have 2.6.32-rc5 with gnome 2.24.1 :\ will have to clean out the repo me thinks -- acreda1234 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ This should be very simple, though I've not done the upgrade this way, effectively it was done in the thread 'How to config YaST2 in 11.1 to update to Factory?' (http://tinyurl.com/yfc9ql4) Simply set the Repo's up to point to places like '...

Upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1 #2
I apologize if this is a silly question, but before I download and attempt to upgrade.... Will doing so cause me to re-install all the previous applications that I've installed on the system? Or is it finally possible to upgrade the core components without stripping out any custom stuff that I've done? Thanks, Tony -- aw_wolfe ------------------------------------------------------------------------ There is no such things as seemless upgrade here, as in this case, problems will arise here and there.. maybe yes, maybe no. You should consider just installi...

11.1 to 11.2 Upgrade Problems
I did a upgrade of openSuse 11.1 to 11.2 and it has been not too good. I've been using openSuse and/or Red Hat Linux for sometime now with no problems so I'm thinking I did something wrong. The way I did it was boot off the 11.2 installation disk and pick Upgrade. The major problem right away was I noticed it downgraded some of my programs, Firefox and Amarok are two that come to mind (The older version of Amarok refused to run). I wished I would of documented all the small stuff I had to do to make things right. The latest being I no longer had the "extract here" o...

live upgrade from 11.1 to 11.2
ok after pouring over the internet for the last three days i give up and im asking for help i just did a live upgrade on my suse box taking it from 11.1 to 11.2 and fallowed all the steps in the doc it all went fine except after it was finished i can no longer access the internet Code: -------------------- dracula:~ # ping google.com ping: unknown host google.com dracula:~ # ping 4.2.2.2 PING 4.2.2.2 (4.2.2.2) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from 4.2.2.2: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=12.3 ms 64 bytes from 4.2.2.2: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=11.3 ms ^C --- 4.2...

upgrade from 11.1 to 11.2 issues
Recently upgraded from OpenSuse 11.1 to 11.2 and although it didn't go smoothly the first time (computer hung), I was able to complete the install and start. I have added and updated the required repositories. The following problems persist: 1. I can't shutdown normally. The black screen before shutdown shows something on the lines of 'segmentation fault'...and also 'cannot find fstab or mtab'. I have to restart into Failsafe mode which shuts down properly. 2. Amarok keeps crashing :( It used to work fine in 11.1 and I think its one of the best media p...

Web resources about - How much in general does the upgrade from 11.1 to 11.2 .... - opensuse.org.help.install

Général - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Général is the French word for general . There are two main categories of generals : the general officers ( officiers généraux ), which are the ...

Generał - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Generał (pronounced [ɡɛˈnɛraw] ), is the generic Polish language term for the rank of General . In narrow sense it is used to denote the rank ...

Former general says 'influential people' help Thai human trafficking
In a country where ruling generals deal harshly with critics, Thailand's media have bravely condemned threats to sue a top policeman who has ...

Bergdahl heading for harsher general court-martial
Attorney of soldier swapped for five Taliban says military ignored advice of preliminary hearing recommending misdemeanor-level military court ...

Why GOP can't win the general election
The Republican candidates' anti-immigrant stance at the GOP debate left David Meijas feeling hopeless and un-American.

Ohio Planned Parenthood files suit against attorney general
CNN Ohio Planned Parenthood files suit against attorney general CNN (CNN) Attorneys for Planned Parenthood filed a lawsuit Sunday in federal ...

Washington Attorney General Sues Tech Support Company For Scamming Customers
... based in India but with a presence in the U.S., has become the target of an investigation and lawsuit by the Washington state attorney general. ...

Brief Q&A on Artificial General Intelligence
There has been a fair bit of coverage of the potential dangers that an Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) might pose for humanity. Here some ...

Bowe Bergdahl To Face General Court Martial For Some Reason
... POTUS is now staying as far as possible from this one. Luis Martinez, ABC News: Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl’s case has been referred to a general ...

Carly Fiorina stands firm: General who retired in 2003 was somehow forced out by Obama
... debate, Fiorina said that she would “ bring back the warrior class—Petraeus, McChrystal, Mattis, Keane, Flynn. Every single one of these generals ...